PDA

View Full Version : Read It and Weep: 15 Reasons Why Lakers Still Beat the Spurs in the Playoffs

Koolaid_Man
01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
This is the consensus view around the country at this time and in some corners of SA as well. There's only one sentence in this article I vehemently disagree with...:lol the statement was made to no doubt soften the blow to Spur fan ego...but other than that the article is spot on..

Have a good weekend folks - and just know that I will....:lmao

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/573717-los-angeles-lakers-15-reasons-theyll-still-beat-the-spurs-in-the-playoffs

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
:lol bleacher report :lol

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
"The Los Angeles Lakers have the good fortune of resting their stars down the stretch, whereas the San Antonio Spurs may not exactly have that luxury.

With the Lakers being rather deep on the bench"

:lmao

weebo
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Lol hopeful laker fan

NRHector
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
damn that just made my morning, dumbass taking bleacher report seriously :lol
Kool_Aids running out of material

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
"The San Antonio Spurs' bench has been productive to say the least, but there's no matching what the Los Angeles Lakers have.

With Lamar Odom, Steve Blake, and a healthy Matt Barnes in the eight-man rotation, the Lakers have one of the deepest (if not the deepest) offensive attack in the entire NBA.

Sorry, Gary Neal, but you're no L.O."

Mel_13
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
The author, Ethan Norof:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/331/284/Photo_12_crop_257x257.jpg?1285261044

Favorite Athletes
Kobe Bryant, David Wright, Derrick Rose, Michael Vick

Favorite Sports Teams
Mets, Lakers, Bruins, Knicks

Favorite Coaches
Phil Jackson, Bobby Valentine

All Time Sports Moment
Kobe's 81.

Thanks for presenting this stunning analysis by a completely unbiased sports journalist.

:rolleyes

NRHector
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
The author, Ethan Norof:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/331/284/Photo_12_crop_257x257.jpg?1285261044

Favorite Athletes

Favorite Sports Teams

Favorite Coaches

All Time Sports Moment
Kobe's 81.

Thanks for presenting this stunning analysis by a completely unbiased sports journalist.

:rolleyes:rollin

VBM
01-22-2011, 11:31 AM
LMAO that Gary Neal is the bench player highlighted against Lamar Odom. George Hill's just chillin...

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
rather deep on the bench

Venti Quattro
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Bleacher Report? Crofl :lmao

VBM
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.topnews.in/light/files/images/Khloe-Kardashian4.jpg

Venti Quattro
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Well the author showed a picture of his. I'm sure Midnightpulp would love this thread. He should be here so he can have a further discussion on the demographic of Lakers fans. :lmao :lmao :lmao

Too bad he lost an ele bet against cubby :lmao

spursfaninla
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Wow. It is pretty embarrassing to see someone out themselves as so uninformed, first by the "author" and then the OP who admitted that he agreed with him.

Some of the laughers already alluded to (in order of ignorance)

1) Spurs are a regular season team

He threw in "the last few years" because he probably remembers in the back of his reptilian brain that the Spurs did win some before, but does not remember the big 3 won in 03, 05 and 07.

2) REST:

Spurs playing their starters WAY less minutes for far this season than the Lakers.

3) BENCH

Spurs playing their bench much more, and more productively than the lakers as a whole. Author mentions Neal because he either does not realize our 6th man is Hill, or does not want to think about it. Dice, Hill, Neal, bonner give the Spurs a better bench than Lamar Odom and spare parts.

4) New Players on Spurs

Duncan, Parker, Manu, Hill, Dice, Bonner, RJ, Blair, 8 of the top 10 rotation have been with the team more than a year. The only "new" additions this year are Gneal, the 4th guard in the rotation, and an injured backup sf in Anderson. Splitter is barely in the rotation and has not been depended upon.

5) Playoff experience (outside big 3)

Forgets Hill and Blair went last year, and Bonner, RJ, and Dice have been many times. That is 7 of the regular rotation. It is really just Neal that lacks playoff experience.

anakha
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Whole lotta weeping going on in this thread.

ElNono
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
This is why you'll never get a medal... you didn't copy and paste the article... smh

Koolaid_Man
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
"The San Antonio Spurs' bench has been productive to say the least, but there's no matching what the Los Angeles Lakers have.

With Lamar Odom, Steve Blake, and a healthy Matt Barnes in the eight-man rotation, the Lakers have one of the deepest (if not the deepest) offensive attack in the entire NBA.

Sorry, Gary Neal, but you're no L.O."

It's really gonna hurt come play-off time when the Spurs do an abrupt about face...you guys really think the likes of a Dejaun Blair, Neal, and a Splitter will perform superbly against the Lakers 3 peat destiny when a title no less is on the line...GTFO...I'd rather not come out the gate looking like world beaters only to falter at the end which is the course Spurs are on...

Face it we have way more players on our squad that are tried and true championship material than you guys do... the article stands...and I stand by the Authors conclusions...

SourCandy
01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
koolaids biggest fans always quick to show up.

NRHector
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
It's really gonna hurt come play-off time when the Spurs do an abrupt about face...you guys really think the likes of a Dejaun Blair, Neal, and a Splitter will perform superbly against the Lakers 3 peat destiny when a title no less is on the line...GTFO...I'd rather not come out the gate looking like world beaters only to falter at the end which is the course Spurs are on...

Face it we have way more players on our squad that are tried and true championship material than you guys do... the article stands...and I stand by the Authors conclusions...

you and your author's conclusions don't mean shit so go back to search for some new material

spursfaninla
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I really hope the conclusions of the article stand, because I am afraid the Laker's championship window is closing. I will thus blindly follow an optimistic but mostly shallow and uninformed article to avoid considering how poor the actual arguments and evidence presented were.

Glad you were finally honest about it.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Did you know Kob Bryant and Derek Fisher have been together since they both entered the league in 1996?

Ignoring the typo is Kob's name, I wasn't aware that Kobe played in Golden State and Utah. :rolleyes

NRHector
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
koolaids biggest fans always quick to show up.where else can you get a good laugh for free

Koolaid_Man
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
where else can you get a good laugh for free

sometimes laughter delays the inevitable...

benefactor
01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
bleacher report :lol

damn that just made my morning, dumbass taking bleacher report seriously
Kool_Aids running out of material

The author, Ethan Norof:

Favorite Athletes

Favorite Sports Teams

Favorite Coaches

All Time Sports Moment
Kobe's 81.

Bleacher Report? Crofl

Koolaid_Man
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
And I still wouldn't trade Jefferson for Carmelo. It's called Chemistry and Carmelo destroys it. You continue to prove my point. How long did you have to search through my posts

we know you exist...we're aware of it...we definitely won't treat you like momma and daddy did by ignoring you...:lol

Koolaid_Man
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
koolaids biggest fans always quick to show up.

SourCandy do you like Lemon Heads & Gummy Bears?

buttsR4rebounding
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
This is the consensus view around the country at this time and in some corners of SA as well. There's only one sentence in this article I vehemently disagree with...:lol the statement was made to no doubt soften the blow to Spur fan ego...but other than that the article is spot on..

Have a good weekend folks - and just know that I will....:lmao

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/573717-los-angeles-lakers-15-reasons-theyll-still-beat-the-spurs-in-the-playoffs

You must have not actually read the article. Let's look at the errors in logic:

14. Lakers will be able to rest starters at the end of the year and the Spurs won't. The Spurs play their starters less than any other team. The Lakers need to rest their guys because they are playing so many minutes. Gasol is in the top 3 in the league in minutes played. Who's more likely to rest--the team that has locked up the top seed or the one fighting for 2, 3 or 4 seed?

13. Duncan won't be healthy, but Bynum and Gasol will. Duncan is playing 28 minutes a game. Anyone who states Bynum is will be healthy at season's end just hasn't watched the Lakers over the past 3 years. Maybe this is the year he doesn't get hurt, but he has been injury prone.

12. Potential Dynasty: an observation, not a reason.

11. Kobe, Bynum,Gasol better than Duncan, Parker and Manu...that will remain to be seen. The Lakers haven't played a healthy Spurs team since 2007.

10. The Lakers have played together more. The Spurs have 1 guy currently giving significant minutes that wasn't here last year.

9. The reason the Spurs haven't won another ring in the past 3 years is simple: HEALTH. If they are healthy going in I guarantee you the Lakers will be worried. Especially if the Spurs have HCA.

8. It would be Bryant's 6th ring: an observation, not a reason.

7. Jackson only has 3 peated in the past: an observation, not a reason.

6. Parker's divorce is a distraction. There hasn't been hardly any coverage of this since the first week. Obviously written by someone who does not follow the Spurs at all.

5. Lakers have a deeper bench. Barnes coming back from knee surgery, Blake has underacheived to say the least. I will say Odom is a stud off the bench, but the Spurs get contributions from Hill, Bonner, McDyess, Neal, and Anderson was playing very well before his injury and is scheduled to come back very soon.

4. Jackson is a better coach than Pop. Pop is considered the best game time coach in the league.

3. Lakers have more experience. Maybe slightly, but not a significant factor.

2. They do have more size. I will give you that one, but the Spurs have superior perimeter players and don't have a glaring weakness on defense in Fisher.

1. Kobe is the best closer. I would agree, but Manu is generally considered the 2nd best closer in the league when healthy.

It is going to be all about health. If the Spurs are healthy a 7 game series probably goes to the team with HCA.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
nice analysis butts you pretty much posted what I was going to. I'd add a couple of things:

1) If anything Tony's divorce has been a positive for his oncourt performance. Not to say I don't feel bad for the guy but his team has supported him, no media leaks or shenanigans, and he's taken refuge in what he's good at -- basketball.

2) A lot of this is just made up, as you observed. The Spurs are a regular season team? The Lakers' bench is deeper? The Lakers are resting their starters more? Someone hasn't been watching. I mean there are things you can argue about but these aren't those. If someone throws this kind of garbage out there, they are highly suspect.

3) In general this kind of take is just stupid and pointless. The Lakers and Spurs are both elite teams when healthy, and it's freakin' January, and no one has any idea what's going to happen over the next 3 months and into the playoffs. All kinds of events can occur over that time. Everything else being equal, I would expect the playoffs to be highly competitive. Look at last year: the Thunder came "that close" to knocking out the Lakers. If the Spurs and Lakers do meet, it'll be a close and hard fought series between two elite, veteran teams with great coaching and proud histories of winning. No one knows more than that right now.

Spur_Fanatic
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok... now I know for sure Koolaid is surely trolling,
because no one can actually be this stupid... :lol

jestersmash
01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah I don't give a shit about what some blue collar no-name "I'm just trying to make it" failure as a writer has to say about anything, basketball withstanding.