PDA

View Full Version : Ferry interviews for Cleveland GM spot

ChumpDumper
05-30-2005, 10:15 AM
At the end of another "Brown as team president" article:

According to NBA insiders, Washington Wizards director of player personnel Milt Newton is the leading candidate to be named the team's general manager.

Former Cavaliers player and current San Antonio Spurs director of operations Danny Ferry has also been interviewed for the job and might be in the running. http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/11773155.htm

coachtf
05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Danny Ferry is going to be an outstanding GM one day and this would be a big loss to the Spurs organization IMO. I guess people are starting to wake up and take notice that Pop has built the Spurs organization into an elite franchise. It seems like yesterday that the roster was filled with names like Negele Knight, "Sleepy" Floyd and Dwayne Shiiiiiiiiiitzuuuuuuuuuus. Thank God for Pop! :lol

spur219
05-30-2005, 11:06 AM
If Danny Ferry leaves and so does PJ those are 2 very big blows for the Spurs organization and it will be hard to find 2 guys to even come close to filling their shoes. PJ is an assistant with head coach credentials.

exstatic
05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Ferry? I'd be worried if RC left, but I don't really know what Ferry does here.

Solid D
05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Danny's a GM's kid, so he has the pedigree. The biggest blow to the Spurs would be the loss of a quality guy and the knowledge Danny has of the talent that's out there for the NBA draft.

It's normal in sports. When an organization sets itself apart as a leader, it's management become targets. The Spurs org., more recently Gregg Popovich, has given career boosts to so many guys.

timvp
05-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Sam Presti > Danny Ferry

spurschick
05-30-2005, 12:39 PM
It's normal in sports. When an organization sets itself apart as a leader, it's management become targets. The Spurs org., more recently Gregg Popovich, has given career boosts to so many guys.

And you know that GMs and coaches around the league are trying to figure out a way to bug RC's office before draft day.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Does anyone else find it weird that they are bringing over Mike Brown and Danny Ferry to try to seal the deal to have Larry Brown there?

Doesn't Larry have his own people that he'd want to bring?

ShoogarBear
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Two possibilities:

1. Maybe Larry's told them who he wants with him at Cleveland (after the Philly-Detroit shenanigans, I don't put it past him).

2. Gilbert has shown in a short time he doesn't have the most stable oars in the water.

AlamoSpursFan
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Maybe those are people he said he'd want...

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm sure the Spurs won't have a problem finding someone to fill Ferry and Carlesimo's shoes. If Pop remains intrigued by the challenge of resurrecting the career of downtrodden former NBA head coaches...

http://www.usba-inc.com/images/portrait_bhill.jpg

spurschick
05-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Maybe those are people he said he'd want...

If that's the case, I'm surprised he hasn't found a way to go after Pop!
:lol

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Does anyone else find it weird that they are bringing over Mike Brown and Danny Ferry to try to seal the deal to have Larry Brown there?

Doesn't Larry have his own people that he'd want to bring?

Hopefully Pop will stop talking to him after this round...

Kori Ellis
05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I have never liked Larry Brown that much. But right now, I like him even less. People here yesterday were saying it was wrong for PJ to be out interviewing (even with the Spurs blessing). So what do you guys think about Larry Brown denying publicly that he is interviewing, but interviewing for it privately and seemingly begging for the president job in Cleveland?

I know he's a nomad, but he can wait a couple weeks before shafting the Pistons.

spurschick
05-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I have never liked Larry Brown that much. But right now, I like him even less. People here yesterday were saying it was wrong for PJ to be out interviewing (even with the Spurs blessing). So what do you guys think about Larry Brown denying publicly that he is interviewing, but interviewing for it privately and seemingly begging for the president job in Cleveland?

I know he's a nomad, but he can wait a couple weeks before shafting the Pistons.

Blessings aside, I don't think that anyone should be allowed to start interviewing before their season is over. I know that people are falling over themselves to be associated with LeBron, but it's total bullshit for Brown to be shifting his focus anywhere else right now.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm sure the Spurs won't have a problem finding someone to fill Ferry and Carlesimo's shoes. If Pop remains intrigued by the challenge of resurrecting the career of downtrodden former NBA head coaches...

http://www.usba-inc.com/images/portrait_bhill.jpg

speaking of downtrodden.....
Pop could always bring Kermit up form his job coachiong a DL team.....

ShoogarBear
05-30-2005, 01:35 PM

Did you see the interview with Davidson during the Heat-Pistons game? He all but shrugged and said "that's Larry". You sign him knowing what you're gonna get down the line.

Also, given the extremely shady circumstances behind the Carlisle firing/Brown hiring, my feeling is what goes around, comes around.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2005, 01:38 PM
You sign him knowing what you're gonna get down the line.

Yeah I know. But I just think he should be honest (at the least) and admit he's interviewing during a playoff run. And what happened to the stories from last week that because of his health, he's retiring?

timvp
05-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I expect Dumars to drop LB after this season no matter what. Dumars has been a genius in putting together the Pistons, so I expect him to get a great coach in there. Nate McMillan, perhaps?

SpursWoman
05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Ferry interviews for Cleveland GM spot

:(

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Not to foist this all on Brown because McCombs was the owner but him leaving SA as he did probably didn't do DRob's career any favors. Also, Trader Bob deserves some of the credit for that before I forget.

ducks
05-30-2005, 02:25 PM
timvp
sonics will not let nate talk to anyone tell his contract runs out...

Kori Ellis
06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Cavs pass on Wizards' Newton
Saturday, June 04, 2005
Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cavaliers have told Milton Newton, once considered the front-runner to become the team's general manager, that it will not need his services, according to an NBA source.

Newton, director of player personnel for the Washington Wizards, is considered by many as a bright up-and-coming executive. According to a league source, Newton was not offered a position because of his lack of experience. Newton, 39, was director of player personnel for the NBDL from 2000 to 2003 before joining the Wizards.

Since Newton has a close relationship with Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown, who several league sources expect to become the Cavs president of basketball operations, this move could indicate Brown no longer is coming to Cleveland. But sources say not hiring Newton will have no bearing on Brown's decision.

Brown has said that his decision to coach or to become a team executive will be based on his health and what advice he's given by doctors. Brown has had bladder-related complications because of hip surgery.

At this point, it would appear Danny Ferry, director of basketball operations for the San Antonio Spurs, has become the front-runner for the Cavs' GM job. Ferry spent 10 years with the Cavs as a player.

Following the news conference that announced Mike Brown as coach on Thursday, owner Dan Gilbert said the structure of the front office may include a president and GM or just one position.

samikeyp
06-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I expect Dumars to drop LB after this season no matter what. Dumars has been a genius in putting together the Pistons, so I expect him to get a great coach in there. Nate McMillan, perhaps?

Phil Jackson.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Good for Danny, but I were he there's no way I'd want to work under Larry Brown. That goes double for Mike Brown.

Kori Ellis
06-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Supposedly Danny is not that interested ....

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11817799.htm

Cavaliers, Brown, Gilbert lash out at media

By BRIAN WINDHORST

Akron Beacon Journal

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The Cleveland Cavaliers' owners are taking the weekend off from searching for new front office leadership, but the river of speculation rolls on.

According to various reports, the Cavaliers informed Milt Newton, the director of player personnel for the Washington Wizards, Friday that he was no longer a candidate for the general manager position.

Newton is a close associate of Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown, the Cavaliers' top candidate to become president of basketball operations. Newton's exclusion as a candidate certainly raises some questions. Along with the tireless denials from Brown and Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, there's a growing perception that the sides aren't as close to a deal as some media reports suggest.

Or, perhaps, it is part of a plan to deflect the massive media spotlight that has been on Brown during the Eastern Conference finals.

Gilbert has lashed out at media members in recent days and, speaking before Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals, Brown ripped ESPN commentator Bill Walton for his comments criticizing him.

San Antonio Spurs director of basketball operations Danny Ferry interviewed for the general manager job with the Cavaliers last Tuesday. When contacted Saturday, Ferry declined to comment on his candidacy. But two people close to him said he wasn't deeply interested in the position.

There had been some reports the Cavaliers had received permission to speak with Denver Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe. But Vandeweghe's agent, Warren LeGarie, said Saturday the Nuggets haven't given permission.

According to a team insider, new Cavaliers coach Mike Brown has told assistant coaches Kenny Natt and Brendan Malone that they will not be on his new staff. Natt has two years left on his contract, Malone has one.

It is believed Hank Egan, a former assistant with the Spurs and Golden State Warriors, will join Mike Brown's staff.