PDA

View Full Version : Duncan stands above all on NBA's next great dynasty

sa_butta
05-30-2005, 11:16 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/cs-0505300211may30,1,42520.column?coll=cs-basketball-print&ctrack=1&cset=true

SAN ANTONIO -- It's Tim Duncan, stupid.

"You can say whatever you want, but I think the big difference is No. 21," Suns MVP guard Steve Nash said. "They are a terrific team, and he's one of the best players ever to play, as good a player as there is in the world, the best player in the game probably."

As in politics, sports has its entertaining figures, like Nash zipping around and shooting those high-arcing rainbows, Manu Ginobili making look-away passes after behind-the-back dribbling, Tony Parker darting past a defender in a desperate blink and Amare Stoudemire shaking the basket dunking.

But the difference in this much-anticipated, quickly disappointing Western Conference finals series that is now 3-0 Spurs is the biggest, most-talented guy, who also happens to be about as exciting as a free throw.

Fifteen straight good ones, as it turned out, for Duncan in the Spurs' Game 3 victory, as San Antonio continues to build what may well be the next NBA dynasty.

This is not winning with Avery Johnson and Mario Elie or Stephen Jackson. This is two exciting young talents in Parker and Ginobili to go along with the guy who, on overall talent at least, probably should be MVP every year, Duncan.

"We have a good young group because of people like Tony and Manu and Timmy," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Timmy is just beginning to reach his prime years, so Nazr [Mohammed] is a young kid, Rasho [Nesterovic] is a young kid, Brent Barry still has good years ahead of him. So I think it's a group that if we can keep them together for a while, we can continue to compete at a high level."

It looks like after Monday night's Game 4, they could be headed to the NBA Finals for the third time in seven years, though in 1999 and 2003 it was with different players. It appears the core of this group will remain together, and it's anchored by the 29-year-old Duncan.

There's a tendency to overlook him because he prefers it that way. He speaks to reporters, but it's clearly uncomfortable for both sides. Duncan is polite, if not revealing. He never is rude or mean-spirited, just weary of the media. He only wants to play . . . and play in the big games, like he did in winning two Finals MVP awards with the Spurs.

Duncan has been the difference again. Sure, the Spurs have pushed the ball even more than the Suns, which has confused Phoenix. No one dared try that against them this season. Now the Suns, facing their last stand, will try to close the lane and invite the Spurs to make jump shots, similar to the Lakers' strategy last year after falling behind 2-0 in the conference semifinals against San Antonio. Of course, it helps to have Shaquille O'Neal when you're doing that.

Stopping Duncan will be more vital, if unlikely.

"We don't really have any vocal leaders like a lot of teams do," said the Spurs' Robert Horry, who has a chance for a sixth championship ring.

"We just have a lot of guys that lead by example. It's more of Tim's personality. We just have a lot of low-key guys who enjoy playing the game of basketball, going out, having fun and pumping up their teammates in certain subtle little ways."

So the Suns get the headlines, and the Spurs get the wins. And would the Suns have had the best record in the league if Duncan hadn't missed 16 games with ankle injuries. Would Nash have been MVP?

"I am going to do my part," Duncan said in one of his more daring statements after practice Sunday. "But we have a great group of guys here, guys that have been through it before. I don't know what I expected out of myself. I just wanted to play to whatever level I could, and help us however I could."

That included a franchise record 15 of 15 free throws in Game 3 for a player who long has been a poor free-throw shooter. He is 33 of 36 from the line in this series. He is averaging 30.3 points, 12.7 rebounds and three assists.

The Suns were asked about last year's Boston Red Sox and the Islanders of the NHL, who came back from 3-0 to win playoff series. There was talk of the Alamo here, where the famed Texas defenders made a valiant, historic stand.

"Any inspiration we can find right now we can use," Nash said.

And someone who can do something about Duncan.

"He's a very fun guy," Horry insisted. "He talks more in the locker room than I thought he would. I thought he was this quiet guy in the corner saying stuff every once in a while, but he's a very vocal guy. He's starting to get on my nerves."

The Suns' nerves too.

ChumpDumper
05-30-2005, 11:36 AM
"We have a good young group because of people like Tony and Manu and Timmy," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Timmy is just beginning to reach his prime years, so Nazr [Mohammed] is a young kid, Rasho [Nesterovic] is a young kid, Brent Barry still has good years ahead of him. So I think it's a group that if we can keep them together for a while, we can continue to compete at a high level."That's a big "if" -- but interesting that he included Rasho and Nazr together. The CBA and bean-counters might have other ideas, though.

sa_butta
05-30-2005, 11:41 AM
That's a big "if" -- but interesting that he included Rasho and Nazr together. The CBA and bean-counters might have other ideas, though.Rasho is a good back up for Nazr. But I think he has a point here, look at our core guys, all young. It is very possible but all depends on the future of our role players ie. Horry, GRob, and Barry. And if we score big again during the draft, and bring in Scola, watch out NBA.

spurschick
05-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Timmy came in to the league quiet, but he has truly emerged as a great leader. It's going to be a long time til we see another guy like him enter the draft.

FromWayDowntown
05-30-2005, 11:59 AM
That's a big "if" -- but interesting that he included Rasho and Nazr together. The CBA and bean-counters might have other ideas, though.

There has been some rumbling that a new CBA will make it more likely that the Spurs could keep both Rasho and Nazr into the future. Stern said the other night that the original structure (the agreement the players apparently recanted on) had a greater percentage of BRI going to the cap and a more expansive definition of BRI (more money in the BRI pot) with a higher threshold for the luxury tax. If that holds, the Spurs would actually be in pretty good shape again, cap-wise, because they'd be closer to being at or under the cap and, more importantly, substantially under the tax threshold again. If both of those are true, they would be able to pony up for Nazr without having to run Rasho out -- though they would be paying a pretty penny for a backup center.

myhc
05-30-2005, 12:10 PM
According to Pop, Tim is just entering his prime? I think at 29, he's right in the middle. Big men start to hit the down slope around 33, 34. We've got a good 5 years left with Tim and I think with this core group together, a couple more rings is a good possibility.

boutons
05-30-2005, 12:13 PM
"included Rasho and Nazr"

yep, who could miss that?

It looks like Pop is set on keeping Rasho, which obviously must be based on Pop's belief that Rasho can do a lot better, at least get his numbers up to his TWolf levels, while maintaining his interior defense (and busting his ass for PT now that Nazr is serious competition)

exstatic
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Big men start to hit the down slope around 33, 34. We've got a good 5 years left with Tim...

Nope. That's guards that tail off in their early to mid thirties. Guard play is much more predicated on quicks and athleticism. Big men often play into their late thirties to early forties. David played when he was 37 and he had a terrible back. Tim could play at a high level for another 8-9 years if he wanted to. Kareem played until he was 42. Kevin Willis is still playing. Parrish played into his forties.

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 12:24 PM
The key thing is we have Tim, Tony and Manu all locked up for at least 5 years. That's huge. That's the core we need to win Championships.

Nazr and Rasho are icing on the cake....

myhc
05-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Nope. That's guards that tail off in their early to mid thirties. Guard paly is much more predicated on quicks and athleticism. Big men often play into their late thirties to early forties. David played when he was 37 and he had a terrible back. Tim could play at a high level for another 8-9 years if he wanted to. Kareem played until he was 42. Kevin Willis is still playing. Parrish played into his forties.

I didn't mean after 34 that Tim would suddenly turn into a chump. Just that he won't have the MVP type numbers that he has in his prime. I took a look at the stats of big men like Olajuwon, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley and I noticed around 34 is when their numbers start to drop. I agree, he'll still play into his late 30s.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 12:53 PM
As it stands the Spurs will have Parker and Duncan together for perhaps another decade. I can't see Ginobili lasting much longer than about 5 to 7 more years. That's plenty, no doubt.

Hopefully the Spurs will be able to score another star level talent through the draft. Sanikidze seems like the one of the four international players the Spurs have rights to who could be that, but of course it's a bit early for that.

The Spurs do have an opportunity to remain as a heavy title favorite for the next 3 to 5 years. But of course that is dependent upon a variety of factors, such as health, competition, and ability to continue to build a quality supporting cast.

If the Spurs are able to reel off a couple of championships then they will get the notice that some here so desperately seek from the East Coast dominated sports media establishment. About the only thing that I might care about is that a few more championships would elevate Duncan to a certain rarefied level among NBA superstars. Let's not forget that Duncan has yet to win one without DRob at his side. If you think about the top 5 players in the NBA in the 90s and now this decade you have MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, TD, and Evil.

Four of those have championships.

People tend to forget Evil.

Dex
05-30-2005, 04:06 PM
"He's a very fun guy," Horry insisted. "He talks more in the locker room than I thought he would. I thought he was this quiet guy in the corner saying stuff every once in a while, but he's a very vocal guy. He's starting to get on my nerves."

:lol

I think Robert is trying to put himself into contention with Brent for Funniest Guy on the Team.

sa_butta
05-30-2005, 04:13 PM

I think Robert is trying to put himself into contention with Brent for Funniest Guy on the Team.I think Horry is funnier than Barry.

timvp
05-30-2005, 04:15 PM
I think Horry is funnier than Barry.

Someone alert Whottt.

http://www.cartoondepot.com/pages/img/wb/le/3-CP1278D%20Superman-20th%20Cen.jpg

sa_butta
05-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Someone alert Whottt.

http://www.cartoondepot.com/pages/img/wb/le/3-CP1278D%20Superman-20th%20Cen.jpg
OH SHIT
what did I do?

timvp
05-30-2005, 04:19 PM
OH SHIT
what did I do?

Don't worry. You'll find out soon enough.

I'm sure Whottt has stats on the +/- concerning people laughing at Barry's jokes compared to Horry. He'll tell you that though the laughs don't equal up, Barry didn't get the same opportunities in interviews. If Pop would have just let him talk to the media more ....

sa_butta
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM

I'm sure Whottt has stats on the +/- concerning people laughing at Barry's jokes compared to Horry. He'll tell you that though the laughs don't equal up, Barry didn't get the same opportunities in interviews. If Pop would have just let him talk to the media more ....Ive seen some of the crazy ass stats he has on this board, thats some funny shit right there.
Whott=Master of Useless stats.

Dex
05-30-2005, 04:34 PM

I'm sure Whottt has stats on the +/- concerning people laughing at Barry's jokes compared to Horry. He'll tell you that though the laughs don't equal up, Barry didn't get the same opportunities in interviews. If Pop would have just let him talk to the media more ....

:lmao

wildbill2u
05-30-2005, 04:58 PM

I think Robert is trying to put himself into contention with Brent for Funniest Guy on the Team.

"He's a very fun guy," Horry insisted. "He talks more in the locker room than I thought he would. I thought he was this quiet guy in the corner saying stuff every once in a while, but he's a very vocal guy. He's starting to get on my nerves.""

I picked up on that too. :lol Who knew that Horry had such a good sense of humor as well?

Says something about team chemistry and how these guys all like each other. WHAT A TEAM! :elephant :spin :elephant :spin

boutons
05-30-2005, 05:06 PM
"Whottt has stats on the +/-"

... that Brent scored more laughs when he and Robert were on the floor of the locker room together and while Tim was in the shower. But it doesn't matter, because Brent wasn't brought in to be a straight man, never has been a straight man his whole, as his punch lines per 48 minutes far outnumber his straight lines, in the season and in playoffs.

ad nauseam for 200 posts ...

HB22inSA
05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't know what all the dynasty talk is about.

That was pretty much taken care of last year with the ".4" incident.

If the Spurs were going for 3 straight right now, sure, let's mention it, but they've been too inconsistent ('99,'03,'05?) winning Championships to be considered a dynasty.