PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin vs Lebron

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Say you have the # 1 Pick and both players are available in the draft. Would you pick a young Lebron or Blake Griffin?

Ace
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Lebron James, his combination of size, speed and athleticism along with his understanding of game but Griffin is and will be an outstanding talent himself.

JamStone
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Probably LeBron. Good question though. Because as good and as dominant as LeBron is, Blake plays a big man position. When it's close, you generally take the big over the perimeter player. Tougher right now to give the edge to Blake not knowing what Blake will be in 5 years and already knowing that LeBron is a 30/7/7 type of guy with two league MVPs. LeBron seems to be that once in a generation kind of player, but again that's easier to say now that we've seen what he's done 7 plus years in the league.

JamStone
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
If in January of 2004 you asked to pick between LeBron James and a young Kevin Garnett, I bet a lot of people would have picked KG.

Killakobe81
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Not a horrible question, but it HAS to be Lebron. But the OP's question was if you had BOTH in the same draft. In that case you would not know about Lebron's MVP seasons. I think if you look at it Jam's second point ...if it is close, you go big is usually what traditionally NBA teams have done ...

But that kind of thinking has screwed Portland twice. Bot are TREMENDOUS athletes but the manchild that Lebron is with "PG like" skills and vision (though Blake is a good passer too) along with being the greatest pure athlete I have seen ...

Lebron is more transcendant. He has been followed since High school,would sell more tickets, and you can not pass him up.

Obviously if you go by what we know in the NBA Blake already has had a a significant injury and Lebron has made a Finals plus 2 MVP seasons ...you still take Lebron.

baseline bum
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
If in January of 2004 you asked to pick between LeBron James and a young Kevin Garnett, I bet a lot of people would have picked KG.

Not if they had watched LeBron's highschool games and weren't named ducks.

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
James!

He did get to the finals with a shitty team in his fifth year.

I'm pretty sure the Clippers won't do that in the next 20 years.

ALVAREZ6
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
LOL @ this question.

JamStone
01-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Not if they had watched LeBron's highschool games and weren't named ducks.

I would have gone with KG back in January 2004. And I think most people would have, not just ducks and me.

KG just finished second in MVP the prior season. In January 2004, KG was in the midst of his own MVP season, averaging 24/14/5. LeBron was obviously a freak athlete and unbelievably impressive even as a rookie. But in the middle of LeBron's rookie season, if asked this question, I'd still have gone with KG.

Killakobe81
01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I would have gone with KG back in January 2004. And I think most people would have, not just ducks and me.

KG just finished second in MVP the prior season. In January 2004, KG was in the midst of his own MVP season, averaging 24/14/5. LeBron was obviously a freak athlete and unbelievably impressive even as a rookie. But in the middle of LeBron's rookie season, if asked this question, I'd still have gone with KG.

I respect your thoughts on this, but I still take Lebron. He just has something (though it does not always show in the ECF or Finals) tht the GOATs have. KG though he has the intensity and defense over Lebron is not as clutch nor that "star" quality Lebron has ...

As far as personality wise I prefer both Blake and KG over Lebron ... as far as what we know ...

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Great posts JS and KillaKobe, I'm actually surprised that Lebron is winning the poll here considering the amount of love Blake has been receiving lately.

KillaKobe explained it for me in a way. Obviously its a no brainer now considering the tremendous success of Lebron, but say, go by Lebron's first 40+ games as a rookie and compare that to Blake Griffins first 40 games, the comparison levels a little bit.

I pick Lebron as the better all around player, but who's to say Blake will not be a consistent 28ppg, 14 rpg 4apg guy? As far as skills is involved in their first year in the league, I'd have to say I'm slightly more impressed with Griffin, and this is coming from a huge Lebron fan, but for the sake of objectivity I'll call it as I see it. His post game is a whole lot more fluid than most big man in the league right now, off the top of my head, I can only name 3 guys who have a far more superior post game (KG, Duncan & Pau). Yes he's limited but he already has that bank shot and pretty good 13 footer in him. I think the biggest factor will be Blake's maturity and development in the coming years. Lebron was pretty great exhilirating his growth.

JamStone
01-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I respect your thoughts on this, but I still take Lebron. He just has something (though it does not always show in the ECF or Finals) tht the GOATs have. KG though he has the intensity and defense over Lebron is not as clutch nor that "star" quality Lebron has ...

As far as personality wise I prefer both Blake and KG over Lebron ... as far as what we know ...

Not everyone was already convinced LeBron was going to be what he's been the last few seasons only a few months into his rookie year. There were some that expected great things, and probably some that even were convinced he'd be the best player ever. But it was far from absolute and far from a universal opinion.

Around the same time this year in 2004, LeBron was shooting under 40% from the field and the Cavs were 13-27. Did LeBron have an "it" quality? Sure he did. But so did guys like Glenn Robinson and Steve Francis. I remember some NBA analysts talking about Glenn Robinson as a Hall of Fame player before he even played one NBA game. Remember, he's a major reason there's a rookie salary scale. Big Dog got a $100 million contract out of Purdue. Unbelievable potential doesn't always equate to realization of that potential. It's easy what you say right now 7-plus seasons, two league MVPs, and one of the biggest universal hype campaigns ever later. Not so easy to say it back in January 2004.

JoeTait75
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM

No way. Just compare LeBron's rookie numbers to KG's. It isn't even close. LeBron's upside was always higher than KG's and still is.

JamStone
01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
No way. Just compare LeBron's rookie numbers to KG's. It isn't even close. LeBron's upside was always higher than KG's and still is.

I'm talking about how the question would be answered back in January 2004 already knowing what KG had become, a league MVP, perennial all star and all-NBA player, one of the most versatile defenders ever in the game.

That's in response to how to answer the original question between LeBron and Blake Griffin. You can try to be objective and put LeBron back before he played in the NBA, but it's just too hard to ignore what LeBron has become to be objective about answering it.

Same thing with KG back in 2004. KG was an NBA superstar already. We're not talking about who had more upside or potential. We're talking about the known and the unknown. It's hard to answer the question without being skewed with what we know about LeBron now or KG back in 2004.

Killakobe81
01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm talking about how the question would be answered back in January 2004 already knowing what KG had become, a league MVP, perennial all star and all-NBA player, one of the most versatile defenders ever in the game.

That's in response to how to answer the original question between LeBron and Blake Griffin. You can try to be objective and put LeBron back before he played in the NBA, but it's just too hard to ignore what LeBron has become to be objective about answering it.

Same thing with KG back in 2004. KG was an NBA superstar already. We're not talking about who had more upside or potential. We're talking about the known and the unknown. It's hard to answer the question without being skewed with what we know about LeBron now or KG back in 2004.

I understand you took this question down a different path but the question is who would you take in a draft? Obviously we only have 40 some games of history on Blake and that is why January 2004 came up ...but yet even still Lebron was playing a harder position on a less talented team.

As for Glenn Rob & Stevie Franchise, i I was never a big fan of either one...and saw them both play in college. I NEVER thought either was sure fire HOF'ers and I never thought either had the chance to catch MJ as GOAT. Not saying I thought Lebron had a chance at MJ his rookie year (wasnt until his first Finals run) but again cant explain it but Lebron (Wade too) has something both those losers lack ...Blake may have it too though not sure he has as much of it as Lebron.

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm with Jam on this one..

I could see why Lebron would be the choice, but there was obviously some doubt, just as there is with any hyped player coming into the NBA..Garnett was a proven, MVP player, undoubtedly a top 5 player in the NBA, a top 3 defensive player, and a guy that will end up being a top 20 player of all-time..even though there are a lot of doubters, Garnett was a player that could have easily won a title with the right players around him..

There was a similar conversation when Oden was coming out, especially with those BS rumors about a Duncan for Oden deal..look what happened to Oden..even if the player in question reaches their potential, you don't know what their injury tendency will look like..

In this regard, Lebron is the obvious answer, because you already know that he's going to be the best player in the NBA in his prime..with Griffin, he's on pace to do the same, but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to reality..

You can find more busts in the top 3-5(relative to their draft position) than you'll find MVP-caliber players..

Killakobe81
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I will say his ROY campaign is more impressive than KG or Lebron but he did go to college for a few seasons AND he missed ayear due to injury so he should. A more apt comparison is Lebron's 3rd year and KG's ...maybe he still beats out KG but by third year I am taking Lebron ...but I really do like Blake and for the Clippers sake, I hope this is a legit question 3 seasons from now ...

Killakobe81
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm with Jam on this one..

I could see why Lebron would be the choice, but there was obviously some doubt, just as there is with any hyped player coming into the NBA..Garnett was a proven, MVP player, undoubtedly a top 5 player in the NBA, a top 3 defensive player, and a guy that will end up being a top 20 player of all-time..even though there are a lot of doubters, Garnett was a player that could have easily won a title with the right players around him..

There was a similar conversation when Oden was coming out, especially with those BS rumors about a Duncan for Oden deal..look what happened to Oden..even if the player in question reaches their potential, you don't know what their injury tendency will look like..

In this regard, Lebron is the obvious answer, because you already know that he's going to be the best player in the NBA in his prime..with Griffin, he's on pace to do the same, but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to reality..

A better Question is, through 3 seasons would you take Blake? or at the same age? I say Lebron.

DMC
01-23-2011, 08:04 PM

JoeTait75
01-23-2011, 08:21 PM

A draft is always about upside and potential. Sure, we knew what KG was in 2004. But we also knew that LeBron's upside was GOAT, which was obviously better than KG's even in '04. All things being equal I think most people role the dice with what might be.

And who besides Charley Rosen thought LeBron would be anywhere near a bust? He was as close to a sure thing for a non-big man as there's been, ever.

ButtHurt Committee
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Blake is a better finisher. A better shooter. A better post game. A better defender as a rookie than James is in his 8th year. It's a no-brainer.

ChrisRichards
01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Meh, Blake Griffin is great but there's a guy like him in every draft class. Lebron however is really a rare talent. You dont see a guy of his size with that speed.