PDA

View Full Version : Random Road Trip thoughts from the Spurs/Hornets game...

SenorSpur
01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I decided to hop over to the Big Easy to take in a Spurs road game. I'll dispense with any direct details about the game, since we all know how that turned out. Instead, I wanted to share some random thoughts.

Pop clearly knew this team wasn't going to "get it done" on this night. I told my buddy that there was no way Pop would play his starters in the 4th quarter. This resulted in the 4th quarter becoming a glorified preseason game. However, it was good to see the reserves get some extended action. This is also part of Pop's brilliance in taking that opportunity to allow his reserves to get some valuable work in. Pop really seemed to relish the opportunity to "coach those guys up" during that time. He was seen exhorting, encouraging and applauding every contested shot, every drawn charge and every hustle play, by this group. He was really into it and it was good to see.

Speaking of Pop, and this should come as no surprise to anyone that has followed this team closely over the years, he and Duncan have a very unique relationship that really goes beyond just player and coach. It's almost like father and son. It was really neat watching them interact during timeouts and between quarters. Sharing information, a good-natured laugh or a pat on the back. It's almost like they have their own unique language. The deep affection that they have for one another is really evident and pretty awesome.

Speaking of Duncan, there was a timeout late in the 4th, where I saw Duncan pull aside newcomer SF, Larry Owens, for some personal instruction. Owens was listening intently and Duncan finished off his thoughts by giving the rook a pat on his chest. Similarly, George Hill also took some offer up some instruction, on what looked like defensive positioning, during another timeout. In fact, Owens received a lot of "dap" from his teammates for his effort and hustle. It's pretty clear the players like this kid.

As for Owens, he was especially impressive in that ill-fated fourth quarter. I was hoping that he would get some burn, but I didn't expect him to get that much. Still he did well. He looked present and very receptive to all the instruction given by coaches and players. Because his teammates really weren't looking for him, I was glad that he came down, on one sequence, and converted a pullup jumper. He has good form on his shot. He defended well and was active and ran the floor well. Standing next to and matched up against Hornets backup SF Quincy Pondexter, Owens looked every bit as tall as Q, but about 20 lbs. lighter.

I detected Spurs GM R.C. Buford milling around the lower bowl of the arena. He actually didn't sit in the arena, but I saw him moving back and forth from lockerroom-to-courtside and into the upper concourse area. It was funny to see him walking up the stairs, while simulataneously looking at his Blackberry, but pausing to peer back over his shoulder to catch the next piece of live action. It's a wonder he didn't trip because clearly was paying attention to where he was walking.

There's no doubt that Sean Elliott probably has one of the coolest jobs around, as broadcaster of the Spurs. As a former Spurs player, he's employed by the organization he played for, is well-liked and of course, very good at what he does. Because he travels with the team, he obviously gets enough inside information about team-related things. However, he's a trusted professional, who I'm sure does not and would not share any and every thing he knows about the team's inner workings. Still, he has the benefit of knowing this team, these coaches and this organizational culture very well and it comes across in the way that he shares his inisights to the audience. Incidentally, I met him very briefly after he wrapped up the broadcast. He still looks very fit and for anyone who didn't know, they would probably mistake him for a current player. He's a really cool and likeable dude, who practically had his own group of fans surrounding him, while his lovely wife waited for him so they could depart to the lockerroom.

Bukefal
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Nice read :tu thanks

suitedkings
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Good read, but Sean good at what he does? I think he is horrible.

spurs10
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Great read. Nice observations about the 4th quarter and Pop using it as a coaching clinic. Thanks!

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Sean Elliott very good at what he does.

:lol

DesignatedT
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Too Spurs fans, he is good at what he does :lol

SenorSpur
01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
:lol

For a supporter of a team that employs Bob Ortegel as color commentator I'd think twice about criticizing Sean Elliott, if I were you.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-23-2011, 05:41 PM
For a supporter of a team that employs Bob Ortegel as color commentator I'd think twice about criticizing Sean Elliott, if I were you.

ok

chazley
01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Cool write up, enjoyed the read.

duncan228
01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Speaking of Pop, and this should come as no surprise to anyone that has followed this team closely over the years, he and Duncan have a very unique relationship that really goes beyond just player and coach. It's almost like father and son. It was really neat watching them interact during timeouts and between quarters. Sharing information, a good-natured laugh or a pat on the back. It's almost like they have their own unique language. The deep affection that they have for one another is really evident and pretty awesome.

Duncan and Pop do have an incredible relationship. It's part of the fabric that make this team and organization so special. It's great when we get to see it.

Thanks for the first-person experience. :tu

SenorSpur
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Too Spurs fans, he is good at what he does :lol

If some on this board listened to other color commentators from the other NBA teams, they would probably appreciate Sean a bit more.

He's not Mike Fratello (the Czar of the Telestrator), Hubie Brown, or even Jeff Van Gundy, but Sean is certainly not Tom Heinsohn or any of those other intolerable, biased goofballs.

My point about Sean being "good at what he does" is that he brings a unique insight, having played for this organization and being trusted by this organization. He knows his way around and special insights into this culture that any other outsider wouldn't have. That's not to say that he's the best broadcaster out there. Rather, he's a good fit for THIS team and this organization.

pookenstein
01-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Enjoyed reading that. Thx.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Thank you Senor, a great read. :toast

YoMamaIsCallin
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I like Sean Elliott a lot, to the extent that I won't fast forward through free throws because I might miss one of his comments. I'm always amused by his oral fixation - listen next time and notice that every analogy he makes is to food or eating. He avoids cliches religiously which I appreciate a lot, and he doesn't talk down to knowledgeable fans.

He had a great career at ESPN but turned it down so he could be more of a family man. What does that say about a person?

TDomination
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I think Elliott is great. I honestly feel sad when he's not doing the broadcast or when its only a nationally televised game.

And I agree with the previous poster, his comments are great. I even hesitate to fast forward a dvr'd game because of how he does the spurs games.

Mel_13
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I decided to hop over to the Big Easy to take in a Spurs road game. I'll dispense with any direct details about the game, since we all know how that turned out. Instead, I wanted to share some random thoughts.

Pop clearly knew this team wasn't going to "get it done" on this night. I told my buddy that there was no way Pop would play his starters in the 4th quarter. This resulted in the 4th quarter becoming a glorified preseason game. However, it was good to see the reserves get some extended action. This is also part of Pop's brilliance in taking that opportunity to allow his reserves to get some valuable work in. Pop really seemed to relish the opportunity to "coach those guys up" during that time. He was seen exhorting, encouraging and applauding every contested shot, every drawn charge and every hustle play, by this group. He was really into it and it was good to see.

Speaking of Duncan, there was a timeout late in the 4th, where I saw Duncan pull aside newcomer SF, Larry Owens, for some personal instruction. Owens was listening intently and Duncan finished off his thoughts by giving the rook a pat on his chest. Similarly, George Hill also took some offer up some instruction, on what looked like defensive positioning, during another timeout. In fact, Owens received a lot of "dap" from his teammates for his effort and hustle. It's pretty clear the players like this kid.

As for Owens, he was especially impressive in that ill-fated fourth quarter. I was hoping that he would get some burn, but I didn't expect him to get that much. Still he did well. He looked present and very receptive to all the instruction given by coaches and players. Because his teammates really weren't looking for him, I was glad that he came down, on one sequence, and converted a pullup jumper. He has good form on his shot. He defended well and was active and ran the floor well. Standing next to and matched up against Hornets backup SF Quincy Pondexter, Owens looked every bit as tall as Q, but about 20 lbs. lighter.

I detected Spurs GM R.C. Buford milling around the lower bowl of the arena. He actually didn't sit in the arena, but I saw him moving back and forth from lockerroom-to-courtside and into the upper concourse area. It was funny to see him walking up the stairs, while simulataneously looking at his Blackberry, but pausing to peer back over his shoulder to catch the next piece of live action. It's a wonder he didn't trip because clearly was paying attention to where he was walking.

There's no doubt that Sean Elliott probably has one of the coolest jobs around, as broadcaster of the Spurs. As a former Spurs player, he's employed by the organization he played for, is well-liked and of course, very good at what he does. Because he travels with the team, he obviously gets enough inside information about team-related things. However, he's a trusted professional, who I'm sure does not and would not share any and every thing he knows about the team's inner workings. Still, he has the benefit of knowing this team, these coaches and this organizational culture very well and it comes across in the way that he shares his inisights to the audience. Incidentally, I met him very briefly after he wrapped up the broadcast. He still looks very fit and for anyone who didn't know, they would probably mistake him for a current player. He's a really cool and likeable dude, who practically had his own group of fans surrounding him, while his lovely wife waited for him so they could depart to the lockerroom.

Nice post. There's plenty that isn't seen on the broadcast. Thanks for the insight.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for this write up SenorSpur :tu

urunobili
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Senor delivering as usual :tu

easy7
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Gracias Seņor Spur. I really enjoyed reading your insight.

GrandeDavid
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Great writeup! I'm wondering how the fans were? Did you like the arena and overall atmosphere? After the Saints got bounced I'm sure the fans were all into the Hornets again.

Also, I just want to say that I think Sean Elliott is an excellent commentator. Yes, he's a homer, but that's the whole point. He covers Spurs games for the local market. I met him before the Washington game and have several times over the years, and he's just a phenomenal guy.

Mark in Austin
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Elliott will have his job as long as he wants it. He's exactly what you want in a local color guy: funny, succinct (Hubie is an exception to this one), insightful, passionate.

SenorSpur
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Great writeup! I'm wondering how the fans were? Did you like the arena and overall atmosphere? After the Saints got bounced I'm sure the fans were all into the Hornets again.

Also, I just want to say that I think Sean Elliott is an excellent commentator. Yes, he's a homer, but that's the whole point. He covers Spurs games for the local market. I met him before the Washington game and have several times over the years, and he's just a phenomenal guy.

Thanks man.

The game itself was a surprise sellout. The arena was indeed packed to capacity and the fans were really into it from the beginning. From talking to some of the locals, my buddy included, it seems that attendance has been steady and the fans have really re-embraced the team. It appears the moves made by the new GM (Dell Demps) and the committed coaching of Monty Williams has re-energized the fan base. The hot start they had to the season also helped.

Of course, the ownership situation is still in a state of flux, as the league still owns the team and will continue to do so, until such time as a new ownership group emerges.

Killakobe81
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Good read, but Sean good at what he does? I think he is horrible.

amen. A spur fan that speaks the truth ...btw before i get flamed ...i dont care for the lakers announcers either ...but they are better then sean.

Besides being a flaming homer (i get that some folks like those kind of analysts and play by play guys) he tries too hard to sound hip or relevant.
anytime he tries to use any slang or current phrasing he sounds like my mom. Dude is whiter than Carlton banks ... just do the game give the great insight (i agree he does do a good job with that) and stop trying so hard to sound "cool". He fails when he does.

TBF, I have heard worse. A lot worse. But I doubt DVD's of Sean are whipped out at sports journalism classes around the country ...unless for a good chuckle.

Capt Bringdown
01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Nice post. Sean is good at what he does, and I hope he keeps it up for a long time to come.
He's probably got one of the best jobs in the world.

Em-City
01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
<------- sean elliott is great

SequSpur
01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
If some on this board listened to other color commentators from the other NBA teams, they would probably appreciate Sean a bit more.

He's not Mike Fratello (the Czar of the Telestrator), Hubie Brown, or even Jeff Van Gundy, but Sean is certainly not Tom Heinsohn or any of those other intolerable, biased goofballs.

My point about Sean being "good at what he does" is that he brings a unique insight, having played for this organization and being trusted by this organization. He knows his way around and special insights into this culture that any other outsider wouldn't have. That's not to say that he's the best broadcaster out there. Rather, he's a good fit for THIS team and this organization.

Fratello, Brown and JVG suck my balls.