PDA

View Full Version : Franchise player designations in the NBA?

ShoogarBear
01-24-2011, 03:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24106/franchise-player-tag

Can't really see this happening, but it might be an acceptable alternative to some of the more ridiculous proposals being thrown around.

When LeBron James bolted from Cleveland this summer, the move not only devastated Cavs fans, it diminished the value of Dan Gilbert’s franchise by $200 million.

The Nuggets have been in a high-stakes chess match this year with their own star, Carmelo Anthony. Although he already has a strong supporting cast and an owner willing to pay the luxury tax in Denver, Melo has refused to sign a contract extension with the team, instead pushing for the Nuggets to trade him to the team of his choice, the New York Knicks.

Owners in Orlando, Utah and New Orleans are also growing increasingly anxious about their star players doing the same thing in the summer of 2012. Dwight Howard, Deron Williams and Chris Paul might also decide to leave good, playoff-bound teams for bigger markets and to hook up with other stars like the Miami Heat's new Big Three did.

With the owners entrenched in tough negotiations with the NBA Players Association over a new collective bargaining agreement, there’s been a growing movement among owners to add a new weapon to their arsenals -- a franchise player tag.

Continued here (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24106/franchise-player-tag)

UnWantedTheory
01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
As interesting as it is, I am not sure that will happen in the NBA....but who knows?

hsxvvd
01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Will make no difference if meddling agents or associates keep pushing to get their players into larger markets.

ChuckD
01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Will make no difference if meddling agents or associates keep pushing to get their players into larger markets.

Sure it will. Do you pay not attention at all to NFL player movement?

mathbzh
01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Countdown for KBP thread about Kobe signing in Europe
3... 2...

Darrin
01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
I think the NBA is overreacting to this. Dan Gilbert would eventually have to deal with this when Lebron retired and from a league's perspective, how much has Miami increased their franchise worth? If Gilbert was doing futures only if Lebron re-signed, then he's bad at business.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
If it's something the owner's feel strongly about, I think they could get it -- at a cost of course.

I see two potential problems (at least) from the ownership standpoint in seeking this: (1) there's not much incentive for the big market teams to agree to it, since they are the beneficiaries of star flight from mid-to-small markets or lower profile teams; (2) I'd think the give back will be considerable -- money and years with guarantees, similar to the current system; ironically, I could see at least some of the lower profile/mid-to-small market teams balking at the cost of getting a franchise designation, no matter how it might ultimately benefit them.

Darrin
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
If it's something the owner's feel strongly about, I think they could get it -- at a cost of course.

I see two potential problems (at least) from the ownership standpoint in seeking this: (1) there's not much incentive for the big market teams to agree to it, since they are the beneficiaries of star flight from mid-to-small markets or lower profile teams; (2) I'd think the give back will be considerable -- money and years with guarantees, similar to the current system; ironically, I could see at least some of the lower profile/mid-to-small market teams balking at the cost of getting a franchise designation, no matter how it might ultimately benefit them.

When did Miami become a "big market team?" They are 44th in population nationally--New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit, Memphis, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Boston, Denver, Washington, DC, Portland, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, New Orleans, CLEVELAND, and Atlanta are all ahead of them. That's 21st of NBA cities. Tampa Bay makes more money per capita than they do. It wasn't too long ago that the NBA franchise was losing money because they had big contracts that weren't on the court or weren't producing a winning team (Alonzo Mourning, Brian Grant, Tim Hardaway, and Eddie Jones). It wasn't too long ago that the Miami Heat were left for dead after they gave Pat Riley the first losing seasons of his coaching career. The Owner said "no luxury tax" even before there was a luxury tax. This meant cutting costs at all costs. People forget how bad Miami was before Dwyane Wade.

Lebron James had no control over whether he was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers and then he finally gets that chance, after giving away his first opportunity, makes the best decision for himself and he's now the end of basketball as we know it? I don't get the double-standard. Would I like the Pistons to win 17 games, get a once-in-a-generation player and have him bolt after 7 years? Wait, that's what Grant Hill did (only it was 20 wins and 6 years and they did not enjoy the playoff success Lebron's Cavs did). It happens.

This isn't 1955 when we had territiorial picks and players stayed their entire career with one team because we didn't have free agency. He played out his contract, the Cavs didn't lock him up long-term, and then he left. He played by the rules and everyone wants to say that he didn't.

Big market teams aren't the ones benefitting, unless you consider 3 years of trade rumors surrounding Amar'e, and not making the playoffs one of those seasons, an unusual or Lebron-like situation. Shaquille O'Neal was the last free agent to sign with the Lakers--they built through trades (Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom) and draft picks (Sasha, Farmar, Bynum, Bryant). And it wasn't too long ago they almost lost their star player before the Lakers organization was able to soothe him long enough to land Gasol.

vy65
01-24-2011, 11:08 AM
When did Miami become a "big market team?" They are 44th in population nationally--New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit, Memphis, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Boston, Denver, Washington, DC, Portland, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, New Orleans, CLEVELAND, and Atlanta are all ahead of them. That's 21st of NBA cities. Tampa Bay makes more money per capita than they do. It wasn't too long ago that the NBA franchise was losing money because they had big contracts that weren't on the court or weren't producing a winning team (Alonzo Mourning, Brian Grant, Tim Hardaway, and Eddie Jones). It wasn't too long ago that the Miami Heat were left for dead after they gave Pat Riley the first losing seasons of his coaching career. The Owner said "no luxury tax" even before there was a luxury tax. This meant cutting costs at all costs. People forget how bad Miami was before Dwyane Wade.

7th largest Metro Statistical Area - which is what's used in determining media markets apparently -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

K-State Spur
01-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Why won't it happen? Do you guys not understand that Stern is going to DESTROY the union during the offseason?

It may come with an ugly lockout, but NBA owners can afford to go a couple months without gate income. Too many players can't go that long without a paycheck.

coyotes_geek
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
The franchise tag just sounds like something thrown in by the owners with the specific intent of negotiating it out under the guise of "compromise". % of BRI is what the owners are really concerned about.

Spurminator
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I could see this creating a bigger problem than it supposedly protects against. If a player fears that he could be stamped with a Franchise tag, he may avoid joining the team in the first place. Potential draft picks could threaten to hold out if certain teams drafted them.

concken
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM

You have a good point, but players don't run the NBA anymore, the media does. ESPN (aka TMZpn) is nothing more than a "soap channel" for men. Miami didn't create their top tier status, ESPN did with all their bullshit hype. They are doing the same thing in college football with their threats against TCU. They run a monopoly and thrive on players "keeping up with the jones'"

Big market teams aren't the ones benefitting, unless you consider 3 years of trade rumors surrounding Amar'e, and not making the playoffs one of those seasons, an unusual or Lebron-like situation. Shaquille O'Neal was the last free agent to sign with the Lakers--they built through trades (Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom) and draft picks (Sasha, Farmar, Bynum, Bryant). And it wasn't too long ago they almost lost their star player before the Lakers organization was able to soothe him long enough to land Gasol.

Big markets are the Wal-Marts of the NBA. They run the small businesses out of town by selling cheap sex to appease fans. I get it, it's a business, but your arguments aren't valid. Check your NBA championship winners dating back to the 1960's, and tell me that the list isn't dominated by big markets.

crc21209
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
This would totally take away a players right to be a FA....not too sure this would work at all...

ChuckD
01-25-2011, 10:01 PM
This would totally take away a players right to be a FA....not too sure this would work at all...

Not permanently. In the NFL, I believe you can only be "franchised" twice, and at a huge pay cost to the team. However, it's a risk for the player to play two years on essentially one year contracts, so most negotiate a trade away, or sign an extension. If you ride it out, though, you're free.