PDA

View Full Version : Holt....We have a problem (Marc Stein Article)

RobinsontoDuncan
05-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Story @ ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2071901&num=2)

Suns hope to follow Spurs' plan

By Marc Stein Espn.com

SAN ANTONIO -- The story has been told more than once this season, but the storytellers don't always get Amare Stoudemire's killer quote just right.

To punctuate his plea to Steve Nash to come to Phoenix last July, in a room filled with Suns lobbyists, this is what Stoudemire really said:

"We get you," Amare told Nash, "and it's a wrap."

Translation: Phoenix gets Nash, Amare announced, and the city can start planning championship parades.

Swiping Nash from the Mavs was a huge step. Now comes the hard part: building on this season's success.
It sounded outlandish at the time, even to Nash, but it turns out Stoudemire wasn't far off. In Year 1 of Nash's second stint as a Sun, with Nash not even unanimously expected to make Phoenix a playoff team, Stoudemire and his new pick-and-roll partner led the Suns to the best record in the league and into the Western Conference finals.

So even if they can't do the impossible and rally out of a 3-0 hole in these Western Conference finals -- a deficit from which no team in NBA history has ever rallied to win a series -- they will still have come a lot closer to wrapping up a title than anyone except the braggadocious Stoudemire dared to imagine.

Only now the Suns also know, by getting reasonably close, how much more it's going to take to put the ultimate seal on a season.

It's going to take a lot more money, for starters.

As all contending teams discover eventually, NBA contention is expensive. Just keeping this group together will be costly for new Suns owner Robert Sarver, who already splashed out a shade under $110 million in guaranteed deals last summer to add Nash and Quentin Richardson to the Stoudemire-Shawn Marion-Joe Johnson triumvirate.

The pieces snapped together better than anyone in the desert could have dreamed, but it only gets more pricey from here. Stoudemire is soon eligible for a contract extension that will undoubtedly make him a maximum-salary player. Johnson is a free agent, too, who's likely to command an average yearly salary richer than Richardson's $7 million, with the only break tied to the possibility that contract lengths could be shorter in the league's next collective-bargaining agreement.

Either way, Phoenix is soon looking at a starting lineup in which no one earns less than that $7 million annually. Which doesn't even account for the obvious upgrades the Suns need on their bench to compete with a deep contender like San Antonio.

"We've accomplished everything we accomplished this season with the fourth-lowest payroll in the league, and that's obviously something we're proud of," said Suns president Bryan Colangelo. "But we know the reality is that it won't last like that forever, because with success comes payment to those who've made you successful.

"We've got a new owner who understands what it's all about. We fully intend to do everything possible to keep our core together."

The Spurs faced a similar reality after winning their 2003 championship, with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili still on their rookie contracts. Spurs owner Peter Holt, like Sarver a staunch advocate of staying as far as away from luxury-tax territory as possible, has since extended himself farther than ever before, re-signing Parker and Ginobili to extensions worth a combined $118 million.

Even with Parker, Ginobili and newcomer Brent Barry taking less money to be with the Spurs than they probably could have received elsewhere -- and with Bruce Bowen actually reducing his annual salary in exchange for some added security to help make room for Barry -- San Antonio is looking at a franchise-record payroll in the $60 million range for the 2006-07 season. That's a virtual certainty if the Spurs, as you'd expect, sign Nazr Mohammed to an extension.

Soon Sarver will have to decide how far he's willing to go. And with the league office pushing for an even more stringent luxury tax in the next labor agreement, pushing the payroll toward the $60 million mark could take the actual costs well past $70 million.

The good news? Nash and Stoudemire form an enticing base to build around, like Tim Duncan down here. It's quite conceivable that veteran free agents will be willing to take a bit less to come to sunny Phoenix in future off-seasons, as Barry did for the chance to play with Duncan, because Nash is so fun to play with and because of Stoudemire's seemingly limitless potential.

As Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gushed earlier in this series, Nash and Stoudemire "are making (John) Stockton and (Karl) Malone look like Laurel and Hardy out there with their pick-and-roll this season."

Factor in Marion's versatility, as an All-Star power forward who does it with a three-man's frame, and the Suns have a trio that should keep them among the West's elite for a while, no matter who else surrounds those three ... and even if Johnson, a restricted free agent, is unexpectedly set free. It's the finishing of Stoudemire and Marion - with an assist from the league's crackdown on physical contact on the perimeter -- that separates the Suns from Nash's old team in Dallas and Sacramento and any of their recent run-first forerunners. Unlike the Mavericks and Kings, Phoenix is a high-octane team that consistently scores at the rim. The Suns proved it again Game 3, their only game below triple digits in the playoffs so far, when the stat sheet nonetheless credited the visitors with a 54-50 edge in points in the paint, even when it seemed as though San Antonio had shredded Phoenix inside.

Yet the holes are undeniable. The Suns have virtually no bench beyond thirtysomething swingman Jim Jackson and can't survive long-term relying almost exclusively on five or six guys. And when faced with a precision opponent in the Spurs' class, Phoenix has found its lack of interior defense to be fatal. Which explains why Colangelo, even before this series started, acknowledged that "we won't stop looking for a true five" to allow Stoudemire to return to his natural power forward spot, as Amare desires.

Colangelo, though, believes that the Suns have already completed the toughest task by luring Nash away from the Mavericks and pairing him with Stoudemire to establish the platform.

"We are a work in progress whereas San Antonio is a more defined product," Colangelo said. "But we've progressed a lot further a lot faster than anyone anticipated. It gives you a taste of what winning is like. And with a piece like Steve in place, you want to try to keep this thing together. Barring any kind of (major) injury, you can forecast a very nice run for this franchise."

Said Marion: "I'm not the owner. I'm not the GM. All I can say is I think they see something special being started here.

"They love it. The fans love it. Everybody loves it."

Nash included. His first reaction to the Stoudemire sales pitch back in July was to stifle a laugh in front of the Suns' recruiters, because he couldn't believe what he was hearing from the kid. He couldn't believe Stoudemire would speak so matter-of-factly about working on his game to the point that defenses would have to triple-team him.

Yet the more he listened, Nash was moved. And sold. "I like your confidence," he told Stoudemire.

Now the confidence comes from Nash. Asked about the Suns' future on the eve of a Game 4 that could end his storybook season, the reigning MVP insists that this won't be the peak.

"We're going to learn from what's happened (against the Spurs) and keep growing," Nash said, dismissing fears that his bosses won't keeping adding to the core.

"I think we're going to keep doing good things."

:oops

You have to wonder if they will start losing money again and how they will be able to give contracts to guys like Scola and Brown (and Luka once we draft him) without the Salary cap going up significantly. Hell even if it does, the Spurs could lose money because that is a big pay-roll for them.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-30-2005, 02:10 PM
bump

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 02:10 PM
The Most Funny of the season and the election of Nash like MVP it is that nobody makes notice that also Quentin Richardson signed last summer and also arrived Jimmy Jackson

whottt
05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Something else no one really notices...Amare is every bit the MVP Nash is...

They both help each other...Nash got so many assists because Amare is such a great finisher and dunker...Amare gets so many points because Nash is so great at finding him off of penetration and via the picNroll.

They should have been co-MVPs, you don't see a synergy like that between two players very often, at least I haven't...They both helped each other put up better numbers. I guesss the resaon Nash won the MVP though is because Pho couldn't win a game without him.

ShoogarBear
05-30-2005, 02:22 PM
If I was PHX, I'd dump Q as fast as I could.

The guy is highly overrated, has become one-dimensional, and can probably be easily replaced at a much lower cost.

Hell, the Suns played much better when he was injured and Jackson started.

Spurminator
05-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I think Phoenix would be fine to grab a defensive-minded center in the offseason, move Amare to PF, Marion to SF and QRich to the bench. I don't see their offense suffering at all... it might even improve because they would go to the Nash/Amare PNR more often instead of wasting 3 or 4 posessions per quarter on a QRich 3-point shot.

SouthernFried
05-30-2005, 02:28 PM
It's funny how Pop compared Nash and Amare to Stockton and Malone.

A great duo...that never learned how to win a championship either.

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I think Phoenix would be fine to grab a defensive-minded center in the offseason, move Amare to PF, Marion to SF and QRich to the bench. I don't see their offense suffering at all... it might even improve because they would go to the Nash/Amare PNR more often instead of wasting 3 or 4 posessions per quarter on a QRich 3-point shot.

Yes, we can Send Rasho to the Suns          

Sec24Row7
05-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Trade them Rasho for Qrich and then Peddle Qrich for decent salary mid quality backup bigman with an expireing contract :p

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 02:33 PM
It's funny how Pop compared Nash and Amare to Stockton and Malone.

A great duo...that never learned how to win a championship either.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Nash signed in Phoenix because he and Nowitzki are the Stockton-Malone of Dallas, now with Aamare are the Stock-Malone of Phoenix, but There is something in favor of Stockton and Malone, both played defense and not Nash

RobinsontoDuncan
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
no one is worried about the salary cap and stuff besides me?

mavsfan1000
05-30-2005, 02:59 PM
It's funny that Phoenix 2 best players are also their worst 2 defenders in Amare and Steve,

RobinsontoDuncan
05-30-2005, 03:00 PM
hey mouse, how many handles do you have?

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Nope. Not my money.

Seriously, who knows what will happen. We just have to wait and see.

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 03:03 PM
It's funny that Phoenix 2 best players are also their worst 2 defenders in Amare and Steve,

This can't be Mouse. mavsfan1000 actually made a good point! :lol

mavsfan1000
05-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm rooting for the Spurs so I can't be mouse. Is mouse a mavs fan?

Mark in Austin
05-30-2005, 03:12 PM

Eh. No point in worrying about it and getting into hypotheticals when we don't know some of the basics yet. Once the salary cap, and soft and hard luxury tax threshholds are set with the new CBA, then we'll have something to worry about and/or discuss.

For instance, it was rumored that owners would like to push the lux txas threshhold higher. Depending on how high, the Spurs could sign Scola and extend Nazr without paying the tax.

Other reports (like Stein's that you posted) say the league office wants to make the tax more restrictive.

It is complete speculation right now.

Sense
05-30-2005, 04:51 PM

The guy is highly overrated, has become one-dimensional, and can probably be easily replaced at a much lower cost.

That's what I've been saying..

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2005, 04:54 PM
This has been the first time I've seen ANYONE say the league wants to set the lux tax lower, every other article I've seen on the new CBA says the league is talking about bumping it by as much as 10 million.

I think Phoenix would be fine to grab a defensive-minded center in the offseason

Because defensive-minded centers grow on trees :lol

ducks
05-30-2005, 05:01 PM
that is why dumping rasho is not going to be a problem once nazr gets extended

Supergirl
05-30-2005, 05:35 PM

I agree! Q's contract will shackle them like Malik's did the Spurs, and they get a lot less than we did with Malik. It would save them so payroll, with which they could use to help them get 2-3 less expensive role players to round out their bench and replace Q. Nash, Amare, Johnson, and Marion plus 4-5 role players who play decent D and like to run - Suns could be back here next year.