PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen Working On New Album With David Lee Roth

HeadBanger
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/van-halen-working-on-new-album-with-david-lee-roth-20110124

Van Halen have entered the studio to record their first album in 26 years with original frontman David Lee Roth.

Though no official announcement has been made, producer John Shanks tweeted about starting the project last week and shared a photograph of Eddie Van Halen's distinctive guitar amp. Shanks, who has recorded albums with Bon Jovi, Jane's Addiction and Fleetwood Mac, had been rumored as the producer for the new album for some time.

Blake
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
+/- on days before it's announced that they will not be finishing this album due to personal differences: 23

Viva Las Espuelas
01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Nah. They'll be fine. They would've broken up again by now. I just wish they went back to Templeton. And getting Mike back in the band. We shall see.

ChuckD
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Nah. They'll be fine. They would've broken up again by now. I just wish they went back to Templeton. And getting Mike back in the band. We shall see.

Mike will probably never be welcomed back. He committed the cardinal sin of being friends with Sammy, and going on the road with him during LONG dormant stretches of VH.

Eddie has his perfect lineup now. Everyone is either named Van Halen or is completely under his thumb. Roth had a taste of "normal" life working as an EMT at his low point, and I'm guessing after that, he'll do as he's told.

With no Templeman on board and no Sammy in the band to de facto produce and structure songs, this smells like VH III all over again.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Diamond Dave is back! They don't need Sammy to produce and structure songs. Maybe if you were into Van Hagar more than Van Halen. I grew up with 1984 and down. They'll be ok.

Duff McCartney
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I've never been a fan of old bands trying to come back and make new albums. It just never works. The music is mostly awful. I think if you're over 50 you can't make a popular or classic album anymore.

I can't think of a single band that reclaimed their glory from the old days.

Fabbs
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Van Halen needs money. Again.

dirk4mvp
01-24-2011, 10:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/212px-Ralph_Wiggum.png

I'm an expert of nothing.

ChuckD
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Diamond Dave is back! They don't need Sammy to produce and structure songs. Maybe if you were into Van Hagar more than Van Halen. I grew up with 1984 and down. They'll be ok.

They need a strong producer, not someone who will kowtow to Eddie and produce another abortion like III. Templeman could do it.

John Shanks—who had been rumoured as producer of the new disc for some time—let the cat out of the bag when he tweeted about starting the project last week. His previous credits include Bon Jovi, Celine Dion, Sting, Hanson, Hilary Duff, and Ashlee Simpson.

WTF? Hanson? Ashlee Simpson? Hillary Duff? Were all of the ROCK record producers busy?

Fabbs
01-25-2011, 03:00 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/212px-Ralph_Wiggum.png
I like Hanson.

mrsmaalox
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Hmmm. I believe I may have had my fill of Van Halen about 20 years ago.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Pfffff

JudynTX
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
w/Michael Anthony?

If not........then......... :depressed

Drachen
01-25-2011, 11:14 AM
"I got it bad, got it bad, got it bad, I'm hot for assisted living nurses assistant!"

Blake
01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
"Enema......Enema, ow......Enema....Enema oh oh oh oh...Woo....."

Fabbs
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
"I got it bad, got it bad, got it bad, I'm hot for assisted living nurses assistant!"
:lol Their "official" website says "Happy New Year" -for upcoming 2010.
It's dated Dec 2009.

But MultiTrolldirk4mvp says they don't need money.

ToughActinTinactin
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
They could still put out some good jams if they do it right. Don't need MA on bass for it to rock.

Fabbs
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
:lol
Daves plastic pose smile and *new* look are like the Enzyte commercials guy:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD-NgnyUe6Apv9jMCIyaQcAbZNh4go1gfr6-YyoObFTTQ-EBCo&t=1http://www.thedailycontributor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/enzyte-guy.jpg

Oh well i hope some good comes out of this.

Drachen
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Wow, thank you. Between you and I, we parodied two of my three favorite VH songs.

The third one is so easy to parody that it is difficult. "I cant drive 55" I know that there are several nuggets of comedic platinum in there, but I cant seem to focus on the development of just one. Unfortunately it is also fraught with the potential of a ton of lackluster parodies as well.

ToughActinTinactin
01-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I've never been a fan of old bands trying to come back and make new albums. It just never works. The music is mostly awful. I think if you're over 50 you can't make a popular or classic album anymore.

I can't think of a single band that reclaimed their glory from the old days.

Aerosmith hung in there longer than most and most old rock bands lasted much longer than today's one hit wonder bands.

ToughActinTinactin
01-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow, thank you. Between you and I, we parodied two of my three favorite VH songs.

The third one is so easy to parody that it is difficult. "I cant drive 55" I know that there are several nuggets of comedic platinum in there, but I cant seem to focus on the development of just one. Unfortunately it is also fraught with the potential of a ton of lackluster parodies as well.

I can't drive 55 is Sammy Haggar and not VH.

Drachen
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I can't drive 55 is Sammy Haggar and not VH.

Yes, I deserve all the flaming I am about to get. I literally just hanged (hung?) my head.

Drachen
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Aerosmith hung in there longer than most and most old rock bands lasted much longer than today's one hit wonder bands.

I actually have a comment to say about this, but I have revoked any right that I have to speak about music for at least a week.

Blake
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM

no sweat. :tu

I was trying to work on Aint Talkin Bout Gout, but it just isnt coming together.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
:lol
Daves plastic pose smile and *new* look are like the Enzyte commercials guy:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD-NgnyUe6Apv9jMCIyaQcAbZNh4go1gfr6-YyoObFTTQ-EBCo&t=1http://www.thedailycontributor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/enzyte-guy.jpg

Oh well i hope some good comes out of this.

There's nothing more entertaining than a David Lee Roth interview. He certainly has a way with words. All of his Stern interviews are classic but really all of them are. Before and after Van Halen.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I've never cared for Sammy but Van Hagar put out some good stuff but I'd rather rock out to Fair Warning. Now that's a great albums. :tu

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I've never cared for Sammy but Van Hagar put out some good stuff but I'd rather rock out to Fair Warning. Now that's a great albums. :tu

Blasphemy. As for over 55 bands, what about AC/DC?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Sorry but AC/DC is quite possibly the luckiest, non-progressing bar band in the world. And I stand firmly behind that statement.

JoeChalupa
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Classic Rock ROCKS!!!!

mrsmaalox
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
I just hope Dave doesn't take off his shirt :(

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry but AC/DC is quite possibly the luckiest, non-progressing bar band in the world. And I stand firmly behind that statement.

You do that. Sometimes, people just like to rock. AC/DC is never going to be considered musical geniuses. But I don't think they set out to be that way. They were just a band that wanted to rock, and the audience loved them for that.

I love AC/DC because every now and then, I just want to play something loud that rocks. AC/DC fits the bill just nicely.

Also, I wouldn't say that the any of the Rolling Stones newer stuff is great, they are still going strong after all these years.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I didn't say I didn't like ac/dc. I just answered your question. AC/DC is great when you know you're going to get wasted. And only Bon Scott era.

JudynTX
01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Who went to the VH concert here in 2008? :toast

FN0REXsESMA

LnGrrrR
01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmmm. I believe I may have had my fill of Van Halen about 20 years ago.

I didn't know you slept with Van Halen! Which members? :wow

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Young teacher. The subject.
:wakeup

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Who went to the VH concert here in 2008? :toast

FN0REXsESMA

Man, I wanted to go to that so bad. Did you?

mrsmaalox
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I didn't know you slept with Van Halen! Which members? :wow

:lol :p:

JudynTX
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Man, I wanted to go to that so bad. Did you?

Hell yes I was there. The concert I wish I had gone to was The Police. :(

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Hell yes I was there. The concert I wish I had gone to was The Police. :(

Ah. Well I don't feel so bad now. I went to both ;)

JudynTX
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Ah. Well I don't feel so bad now. I went to both ;)

I have The Police Reunion Tour on DVD, the next best thing I guess. :rolleyes :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
If you do the bit torrent thing try and snag their set from Tokyo. Its shot in HD and much looser than that release.

LnGrrrR
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
:lol :p:

Couldn't help it. :tu :D

dirk4mvp
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
:lol Their "official" website says "Happy New Year" -for upcoming 2010.
It's dated Dec 2009.

But MultiTrolldirk4mvp says they don't need money.

I've never seen a halfway intelligent post from you. Cool that you can keep the streak going.

Mark in Austin
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
so the band whose most memorable hit with DLR as the frontman is a Nissan Z commercial is back in the studio? why isn't this bigger news?

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I didn't say I didn't like ac/dc. I just answered your question.

But they're still rocking at over 55 years of age, hence their inclusion into the discussion. AC/DC can definitely be included.

AC/DC is great when you know you're going to get wasted. And only Bon Scott era.

This is definitely what you sound like.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8e7txWXIk1qc0m6fo1_500.jpg

I like this one better.

http://purplejesus.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/hipster-kitty.jpg

And don't even try to equate Bon Scott/Brian Johnson to Van Halen/Van Hagar. Different circumstances for the switch.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Ha. You're the one to introduce ac/dc to the mix so I'm not sure where the hell all that came from. Don't get mad cuz I don't have the same interest in ac/dc as you. :lol geez
Plus I believe Bon Scott was on more albums than their first, so....... I couldn't even tell you what the title of their first one is. And the whole first-album crack is silly even after I mentioned Fair Warning. :lol

But nice pics though :lmao
I l:loll'd

RandomGuy
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike will probably never be welcomed back. He committed the cardinal sin of being friends with Sammy, and going on the road with him during LONG dormant stretches of VH.

Eddie has his perfect lineup now. Everyone is either named Van Halen or is completely under his thumb. Roth had a taste of "normal" life working as an EMT at his low point, and I'm guessing after that, he'll do as he's told.

With no Templeman on board and no Sammy in the band to de facto produce and structure songs, this smells like VH III all over again.

An EMT? No shit...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Yep. I believe he did it for a couple of years.