PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell getting sued over their beef?

Fat boy
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
So I hear one of my favorite fast food places is getting sued because they aren't using real beef? WTF have I been shoving down my pie hole?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/25/2011-01-25_taco_bell_is_using_false_advertising_when_it_ca lls_its_food_beef_according_to_la.html

Blake
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch told The Associated Press that the company's advertising isn't misleading.

"Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree," Poetsch said.

:lol

at least theyre honest about what their food is called

mrsmaalox
01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't mind having a taco from there, but I'm too scared to try any of the more complicated items. Never once fooled myself that I was eating actual beef though.

Spurminator
01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Man, I love Taco Bell.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
The last time I had taco bell, about 2 weeks ago, was probably my last. It really jacked up my stomach. And it takes something pretty frickin' nasty to do that. They do have good tea, by the way.

fraga
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
35% beef...65% mystery objects....substances...additives...kangaroo...eee eesh...

leemajors
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
i sub beans for beef at TB most of the time.

CubanMustGo
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Ahead of their time, only they went to the wrong chain ...

Ug75diEyiA0

ToughActinTinactin
01-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Makes me wonder what Jack in the box uses.

ALVAREZ6
01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Fast food does not use real beef?????

lol, taco bell is faster than fast food...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Ahead of their time, only they went to the wrong chain ...

Ug75diEyiA0

I loved that campaign as a kid.

The Reckoning
01-25-2011, 12:20 PM
The lawsuit says that Taco Bell's "seasoned beef" contains other ingredients, including water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch.

Soul_Patch
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
There is something highly addicting about taco bell. I only wish there was one closer to my house.

Whatever that shit is they make their food out of, i love it.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Msg

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Sonofabitch!!! Does the autocorrecting of capital letters always have to be on?

Geez fucking louise!!!!!

That should be M S G

JoeChalupa
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
No quiero taco bell.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Fucking stupid!!!!

balli
01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd always heard that it was mostly sardines, which I didn't believe per se, but I'd actually prefer that to Monsanto Brand soy filler.

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
A law firm is claiming that the fast food chain is using false advertising when it says its Mexican delicacies are filled with "ground beef" or "seasoned ground beef."

:lmao

Since when has Taco Bell EVER had Mexican delicacies? Too fucking funny.

Fpoonsie
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Sonofabitch!!! Does the autocorrecting of capital letters always have to be on?

Geez fucking louise!!!!!

That should be M S G

Yeah, I hate that, too.

mouse
01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Whats next this is not a real rib?

http://www.creativemag.com/images2007%5CspMcRibFarewellMcdonalds.jpg

baseline bum
01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd always heard that it was mostly sardines, which I didn't believe per se, but I'd actually prefer that to Monsanto Brand soy filler.

:vomit: You ain't ever escaping Monsanto Brand filler in this nation. If there's one thing I have heard consistently from everyone I know from outside of this nation, it's that American meat tastes worse in comparison to what they eat back home.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Yeah, I hate that, too.

There are more annoying ways around it. I think I'll utilize them in the future :stirpot:

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
minx meat lmao...meat waste recycled...

Stringer_Bell
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think Subway uses real meat in their meatballs. I'm pretty sure most of the "meat" from places that serve ground beef "inspired" products have mostly soybeans.

fraga
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6756/theresverylittlemeatint.jpg
There's very little meat in these gym mats...

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't think Subway uses real meat in their meatballs. I'm pretty sure most of the "meat" from places that serve ground beef "inspired" products have mostly soybeans.

Look at the turkey when you get a turkey sandwich. Cheap turkey looks waxy and stays together very easily. Good turkey (real turkey?) flakes and falls apart quite easily.

Leetonidas
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Not surprising. Most burgers in the fast food industry are ammonia injected and the chicken is just pink mash. I don't eat this shit very often anymore, only if I really have no other options. But TB is just disgusting, every time you order one of their burritos it's some small ass flimsy piece of shit with half of its contents spilling out. Eff em.

man on wire
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
What a bunch of wussies! Dope heads will smoke their brains out and then whine about a damn taco. STFU!

mrsmaalox
01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Whats next this is not a real rib?

http://www.creativemag.com/images2007%5CspMcRibFarewellMcdonalds.jpg

IceColdBrewski
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
C1Zp7vfyew8

Dark Gable
01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Haven't been to a TB in years. Unless you kill it yourself there is no telling what is in the meat one is eating. Cosmic Cowboy knows.

Spurminator
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Makes me wonder what Jack in the box uses.

Corn meal.

Smart Ass
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Maybe this will help some people.

http://smm.sitescout.netdna-cdn.com/300x250_lady31-1837a12.gif Lay off Taco Bell!

BlairForceDejuan
01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
So I hear one of my favorite fast food places is getting sued because they aren't using real beef? WTF have I been shoving down my pie hole?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/25/2011-01-25_taco_bell_is_using_false_advertising_when_it_ca lls_its_food_beef_according_to_la.html

lol @ shoving down 5 lbs. worth of taco bell for $3 and just now wondering wtf you have been eating :lol

frodo
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
soybean is healthier food than beef imho. maybe a government act in order to help fatass lose weight. taco bell is dat favourite for most fatasses according to my knowledge.

mouse
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Good to see someone around here still appreciates top shelf comedy!

TE
01-26-2011, 12:52 AM
TB food is filling. It's not that good though, tbh.

ChuckD
01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
They've been doing this for decades. I used to go to the old location in UC, and you could watch them create/saute the mix because you could see into the kitchen. Only 35% is ridiculous, though, tbh. I hope they win the suit and force them to call it like beefy taco filling.

NASCARdad
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
soybean is healthier food than beef imho. maybe a government act in order to help fatass lose weight. taco bell is dat favourite for most fatasses according to my knowledge.

The govt needs stay the hell out of my life and let me eat what I want to eat.

PublicOption
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/01/taco-meat.jpg

PublicOption
01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
meat filling is defined as 40% beef. lab reports say that taco bell "meat filling" is only 36% beef.......it doesn't even qualify as "meat filling"

no matter what they need to stop calling there shit beef.

mouse
01-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Taco bell could use 2% beef and 98% flavored Styrofoam and half of you in here will still be there on 49 cent taco Sunday.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/Dinky.jpg

DPG21920
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Since when has Taco Bell EVER had Mexican delicacies? Too fucking funny.

Apparently you have never seen Demolition Man.

Wild Cobra
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
35% beef...65% mystery objects....substances...additives...kangaroo...eee eesh...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that more beef than a McDonalds beef patty? Aren't they the largest purchaser in the world of cow eyeballs?

Wild Cobra
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
meat filling is defined as 40% beef. lab reports say that taco bell "meat filling" is only 36% beef.......it doesn't even qualify as "meat filling"

no matter what they need to stop calling there shit beef.
The primary (first) ingredient is in fact beef.

Doesn't matter. The packing is not labeled as beef, and advertisement doesn't require the same standards as food packaging. I doubt the lawsuit will go anywhere.

crc21209
01-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Who gives a shit, people will still eat it....:lol

greyforest
01-27-2011, 03:03 AM
chick fil a is decent...everywhere else uses that nasty ass deep frier oil, and it smells nasty.

taco bell...well i don't know anybody in san antonio who eats at taco bell. we live in san antonio for fuck's sake.

baseline bum
01-27-2011, 03:33 AM
There's not enough weed in Humboldt County to get me to touch that shit.

JoeChalupa
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
chick fil a is decent...everywhere else uses that nasty ass deep frier oil, and it smells nasty.

taco bell...well i don't know anybody in san antonio who eats at taco bell. we live in san antonio for fuck's sake.

I drove by two TB's yesterday in SA and both had lines at the drive-thru.

JoeChalupa
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM

I remember back in the day when munchies meant anything that was satisfied the hunger and to hell with what was in it. Ho-Ho's, cheetos, fritos, doritos, pop corn, soda,etc...now it is rice cakes and arugula salads.

CuckingFunt
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

People in Humboldt County disagree. Even amongst the limited fast food choices, Taco Bell was the only thing in Humboldt open after midnight and from about 1-4am the Eureka Taco Bell has a packed drive-thru line. Daily.

RandomGuy
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder what the other 64% of the filling is?

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/resources/images/1396419/?type=display

Yeah, I went there. HA!

(If you don't get it, just google the movie reference.)

mrsmaalox
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
I wonder what the other 64% of the filling is?

Haha, RG I had that very thought on the first day of this thread :lol

4>0rings
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM

That's because anybody that lives in greyforest has their own personal chef, or if they want something in a hurry they order takeout from Ruth Chris.

Boris
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I've killed the munchies with TB more times than I can remember.

Wild Cobra
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
They were willing to say this:

The print ad copy reads: "Thank you for suing us. Here's the truth about seasoned beef. The claims made against Taco Bell and our seasoned beef are absolutely false. The only reason we add anything to our beef is to give the meat flavor and quality. So here are the REAL percentages. 88% Beef and 12% Secret Recipe." The ad goes on to elaborate on that 12%, saying that the rest consists of water (about 3%), spices (about 4%), and "oats, caramelized sugar, yeast, citric acid, and other ingredients that contribute to the flavor, moisture, consistency, and quality of our seasoned beef (5%)."
I think it's safe to say they wouldn't say this if it wasn't true. The lawsuit would be unreal then.

Taco Bell counters 'meat filling' charges (http://finance.boston.com/boston/action/linkout?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crainsnewyork.com%2Fa rticle%2F20110128%2FFREE%2F110129857+&Title=Taco+Bell+counters+%27meat+filling%27+charge s)

duncan228
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Taco Bell ads take parting shot at law firm (http://galvestondailynews.com/ap/602ff2/)
By Bruce Schreiner

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Taco Bell took a parting shot Wednesday at the law firm that questioned the beef content of the filling in the chain's tacos and burritos.

In full-page newspaper ads, the company asks in big, bold type: "Would it kill you to say you're sorry?"

The chain ran the ads in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and USA Today as well as in publications in Chicago, Los Angeles and in Alabama, home of the law firm that sued Taco Bell early this year.

The ads amount to a victory lap by Taco Bell after the law firm dropped its lawsuit this week but also risk keeping the issue alive.

The law firm Beasley Allen said it dropped the lawsuit after Taco Bell made changes to its marketing and product disclosure.

Not so, the chain insisted. In its ads, Taco Bell says that it made no changes to its products, ingredients or advertising, no money was exchanged and there was no settlement agreement as a result of the suit being dropped.

The law firm had no immediate comment on the new ads.

Laura Ries, president of Ries & Ries, a marketing strategy firm based in Atlanta, said Taco Bell's latest response was a mistake. She said the ads revive memories of a lawsuit that most people had forgotten after the initial burst of publicity.

One positive approach was the mention that Taco Bell lists its ingredients on its company Web site, Ries said of the new ads.

Still, "when you run these ads defending, defending, defending, sometimes people think, 'Well, wait a minute, why are they trying so hard to defend themselves?'" she said.

Taco Bell says it spent $3 million to $4 million in advertising to counter accusations in the lawsuit. Previously, the chain ran full-page ads in at least nine major newspapers, aired television spots and launched a YouTube campaign to defend the quality of its taco filling.

"We launched this campaign to make sure that consumers know that we didn't change our marketing or products because we've always been completely transparent," Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed said in a statement Wednesday.

Taco Bell has said the allegations were "absolutely wrong" and the federal lawsuit was voluntarily withdrawn by the firm.

The false-advertising suit, filed in California in January, alleged the chain's filling doesn't have enough beef to be called that.

It alleged the meat mixture has binders and extenders and does not meet federal requirements to be labeled beef. The suit sought to make the company stop calling it "beef," and pay the suing law firm's bill.

Taco Bell says its taco filling contains 88 percent USDA-inspected beef and the rest is water, spices and a mixture of oats, starch and other ingredients that contribute to what it calls the "quality of its product." It says it uses no extenders to add volume to the filling.

Taco Bell has almost 5,600 U.S. restaurants. The chain is owned by Louisville-based Yum Brands Inc., which is also the parent of Pizza Hut and KFC. Taco Bell accounts for about 60 percent of Yum's profits in the U.S.

In the ads, Taco Bell gets in a final dig at the lawyers who brought the ill-fated suit — "You got it wrong, and you're probably feeling pretty bad right about now. But you know what always helps? Saying to everyone, 'I'm sorry.' C'mon, you can do it!"

http://galvestondailynews.com/ap/602ff2/

mouse
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I think it's safe to say they wouldn't say this if it wasn't true.

Is it safer than eating bananas?

mouse
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/resources/images/1396419/?type=display
(If you don't get it, just google the movie reference.)

They should have a separate forum for those who don't get it.

desflood
04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
My kids heard a random Soylent Green reference once and asked what it meant, so I gave them a simple explanation and showed them the old movie clip. Now whenever I make something they don't want to eat for dinner I have to hear Soylent Green jokes for half an hour. Parents, keep your kids ignorant!

mouse
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Funny thing with the contaminated food we eat everyday Soylent Green doesn't sound that bad after all. remember they didn't have cheese wiz in that movie.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/598636/2/istockphoto_598636_spray_cheese.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
wtf do you guys think when ur eating a salami or a kebab?

especially in the countries thats not known to make them...lol asia :(