PDA

View Full Version : UT network about to shake up Big 12?

lebomb
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
There are rumors flying ALL over the net that A&M and OU are pissed about the UT Espn deal. Ive been reading that they both are in talks with the SEC about joining again. If this happens..........all FBS conferences are about to change.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/01/24/texas-am-to-the-sec-how-the-big-12-could-dissolve-quickly/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-01-25/proposed-tv-deal-may-not-bode-well-for-big-12

http://isportsweb.com/2011/01/24/texas-am-to-the-sec/

Might as well go Indy Texas..........you just destroyed the Big 12-2.

:wakeup

Blake
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
There are rumors flying ALL over the net that A&M and OU are pissed about the UT Espn deal. Ive been reading that they both are in talks with the SEC about joining again. If this happens..........all FBS conferences are about to change.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/01/24/texas-am-to-the-sec-how-the-big-12-could-dissolve-quickly/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-01-25/proposed-tv-deal-may-not-bode-well-for-big-12

UT doesn't need to go independent, but this move may be the last straw for the conference.

lebomb
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
UT doesn't need to go independent, but this move may be the last straw for the conference.

They dont need to, but may be forced to go Indy. Other big 12 schools are beginning to see how to save themselves as well.

http://www.voodoofive.com/2011/1/24/1953011/texas-a-m-to-sec-rumors-start-again-missouri-kansas-and-kansas-state

http://thesportsjury.com/201101201000/opinion/aggies-espn-and-longhorn-greed-saviors-of-the-big-xii

Dr. Gonzo
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
lol utsa

lebomb
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Wonder how true this one is??

elbamba
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't see that the SEC would take the teams. As a fan, I want the best teams available in my conference so I can see great games every year. However, SEC is locked into a 15 year contract that pays the schools a set number, why would they alter this and take less money?

The schools in the Big 12 are going to get paid as if there were 12 teams and a championship game. That is a lot of money to leave on the table.

The Reckoning
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
lol the Big Butthurt Conference

MajorMike
01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
#1 - No way the SEC takes more teams until their contract expires and they just sgned a new 15-year one in 2009.

#2 - If atm leaves the B12 will force them to pay money they don't have. They are already bankrupt and were counting on the 20 mil from the B12 just to get solvent. If they leave, they won't get the 20 Mil and they will forfeit any recent money. I don't believe that Beebe will reduce the buyouts like he did for CU and Neb.

#3 - I don't believe the Texas legislature would allow atm to not be associated with UT and I know for sure the Oklahoma legislature won't let uo leave a conf with OSU. Additionally, uo's President Boren has a huge history with OSU to include money and the fact that the Vet Med school (one of OSU's biggest draws) is the David L. Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. uo isn't going to leave OSU.

#4 - Just like last time, this is an attempt by atm to get more than they deserve. Ok, not that UT deserves it either, but atm thinks more of themselves and they think they should be due everything UT is. atm throws around rumor and speculation that they are searching and they hope UT or Beebe will toss them some more money.

#5 - UT doesn't need anyone, to be honest.

#6 - Dobbs promised Holder (OSU) that any conf UT went to they wouldn't go unless OSU and uo were invited. Don't ask me why he did, but he did.

lebomb
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Noone wants to talk about the mighty UT empire??? :sleep

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
#1 - No way the SEC takes more teams until their contract expires and they just sgned a new 15-year one in 2009.

#2 - If atm leaves the B12 will force them to pay money they don't have. They are already bankrupt and were counting on the 20 mil from the B12 just to get solvent. If they leave, they won't get the 20 Mil and they will forfeit any recent money. I don't believe that Beebe will reduce the buyouts like he did for CU and Neb.

#3 - I don't believe the Texas legislature would allow atm to not be associated with UT and I know for sure the Oklahoma legislature won't let uo leave a conf with OSU. Additionally, uo's President Boren has a huge history with OSU to include money and the fact that the Vet Med school (one of OSU's biggest draws) is the David L. Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. uo isn't going to leave OSU.

#4 - Just like last time, this is an attempt by atm to get more than they deserve. Ok, not that UT deserves it either, but atm thinks more of themselves and they think they should be due everything UT is....

1) doesn't the SEC get a new deal if another team signs on?

2) A&M can get more money from A&M, stop with the nonsense. if its better for the athletic program/school, they will move on. i will agree, that depending on the amount, it could be a hard sell...everyone has a budget

3) i'm not so sure

4) speculation and/or hyperbole

5) agreed

ChumpDumper
01-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Are you trying to tell us no one knew UT was going to do this at the time the Big 12-2 agreement came about?

The Reckoning
01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Noone wants to talk about the mighty UT empire??? :sleep

the same empire that owns UTSA

:lobt2:

tlongII
01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
The Pac-12 can take 4 more schools. Come on over!

NFO
01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Wasn't the SEC willing to add Texas A&M just 7 months ago. What has changed since then, the contract was signed before all the conference expansion hub bub of this past summer.

Pretty sure that the SECs contract with ESPN has an out to be renegotiated if a team or teams are added.

DesignatedT
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Oklahoma isn't going anywhere. They are not going to leave tu and will eventually get their own network or whatever. The Big 12 won't last much longer but who knows where everyone ends up.

The Reckoning
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
bring back the SWC and kick baylor the fuck out

Blake
01-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Are you trying to tell us no one knew UT was going to do this at the time the Big 12-2 agreement came about?

come to think, that does seem to be a big reason that UT wanted to stay put in the Big 12-2 to begin with.

I wonder why there is suddenly so much gnashing of teeth now that the ink is on the paper.

Blake
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM
bring back the SWC and kick baylor the fuck out

kick out Baylor and bring in SMU?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2011, 01:48 AM
lets keep all those WASP schools out

fyatuk
01-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I wonder why there is suddenly so much gnashing of teeth now that the ink is on the paper.

Because no one, including UT, thought they'd get 15m per year. UT's projections were in the 2-3m range.

So they gave UT 20m per year from the Big 12 conference payouts because they figured it'd take 23m or so for UT to be happy. UT could have had more than that 23m even if they kept the payouts even from the Big 12.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
How much more could schools get in other conferences? Only Oklahoma would have any real juice to get much more. A&M could pretend the SEC wants to pay them a bunch of money to beat the living shit out of them in the major sports every year, but why would A&M want to be a bottom feeder in that conference when they have an actual opportunity to kick UT while it's down. That's the only reason A&M exists.

benefactor
01-26-2011, 07:10 AM

http://isportsweb.com/2011/01/24/texas-am-to-the-sec/

/thread

lebomb
01-26-2011, 07:49 AM
the same empire that owns UTSA

:lobt2:

Kind of like Cal owns Ucla? ............ yeah, I guess. *shrugs*

...........by the event that just took place, it appears UT owns all universities.

PublicOption
01-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't get this. When did UT think it was better than ND, Miami or even OKLA.(at this point it ain't even better than TCU)

strange. no wonder nebraska booked to the big ten.

TEXAS screwed up the BIG 12.

I hope A&M leaves.......fuck these assholes. how can ESPN be objective about Texas reporting again.

They will say they are objective......and there reporting will probably will be. but the sheer volume of TEXAS stories will increase about 10X.

Blake
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Because no one, including UT, thought they'd get 15m per year. UT's projections were in the 2-3m range.

So they gave UT 20m per year from the Big 12 conference payouts because they figured it'd take 23m or so for UT to be happy. UT could have had more than that 23m even if they kept the payouts even from the Big 12.

I still don't get the hatred. If A&M doesn't like it, then they should start their own network as well.

A&M should be pissed off at A&M for sucking at football this past decade.

Blake
01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't get this. When did UT think it was better than ND, Miami or even OKLA.(at this point it ain't even better than TCU)

As soon as ESPN told them they were better by cutting a $300 million check.

I've never thought that Mack Brown was any kind of Xs and Os genius, but the guy is the best salesman I have ever seen in the world of college football.

He deserves every penny of his $5 mill salary for his recruiting skills and his ability to push the perception that Longhorn football is the greatest thing in the whole world. From the outside looking in, you'd hardly know that OU has as good a football program, if not better, than UT.

Kermit
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
As soon as ESPN told them they were better by cutting a $300 million check.

I've never thought that Mack Brown was any kind of Xs and Os genius, but the guy is the best salesman I have ever seen in the world of college football.

He deserves every penny of his $5 mill salary for his recruiting skills and his ability to push the perception that Longhorn football is the greatest thing in the whole world. From the outside looking in, you'd hardly know that OU has as good a football program, if not better, than UT.

You don't have to qualify. They're better.

Thompson
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
1. The SEC can renegotiate their contract if they bring new members in.

2. As far as the buyout is concerned, if A&M or OU (or both) leave, the Big 12 dissolves and there is no buyout.

3. I think A&M can get away from UT (possibly leaving UT stuck with Tech and Baylor, which the legislature will insist go somewhere). I think it would be harder to separate OU and OSU.

4. 'Last time' was not just an idle rumor to get paid; A&M liked the SEC better than the Pac-10, and Slive came to visit them over the issue. Also, the A&M board of regents caught a massive amount of flack over the decision to stick with the Big 12 over the SEC. They can't toy around with such rumors.

5. Maybe we'll find out. It hasn't worked out all that great for Notre Dame though.

Kermit
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
1. The SEC can renegotiate their contract if they bring new members in.

2. As far as the buyout is concerned, if A&M or OU (or both) leave, the Big 12 dissolves and there is no buyout.

3. I think A&M can get away from UT (possibly leaving UT stuck with Tech and Baylor, which the legislature will insist go somewhere). I think it would be harder to separate OU and OSU.

4. 'Last time' was not just an idle rumor to get paid; A&M liked the SEC better than the Pac-10, and Slive came to visit them over the issue. Also, the A&M board of regents caught a massive amount of flack over the decision to stick with the Big 12 over the SEC. They can't toy around with such rumors.

5. Maybe we'll find out. It hasn't worked out all that great for Notre Dame though.

It hasn't worked out great for Notre Dame? Is that a joke? You think the Domer's problems stem from being independent?

Thompson
01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
It hasn't worked out great for Notre Dame? Is that a joke? You think the Domer's problems stem from being independent?

I said 'all that great' meaning they aren't exactly an indomitable force in the world of college sports. That's not to say there aren't any benefits, but I think some people are overrating the whole 'independent' thing.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I said 'all that great' meaning they aren't exactly an indomitable force in the world of college sports. That's not to say there aren't any benefits, but I think some people are overrating the whole 'independent' thing.At that point, it's not about winning.

Blake
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna go conspiracy theory here.

The way the landscape was moving, it appears that college football was moving to having 4-5 superconferences, which would pave the way for a playoff system......which school presidents and (apparently ESPN) fear will eliminate many of the bowl games....

ESPN sees this landscape, is scared of it, and gives UT a nudge and the means to go independent......and locks them down for 20 years.

Notre Dame and now UT not being part of conferences puts a bit of a kink in the whole superconference idea, imo, and ESPN gets to keep it's crappy BCS system in play for this 20 years.

super-conspiracy, imonho.

Thompson
01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm gonna go conspiracy theory here.

The way the landscape was moving, it appears that college football was moving to having 4-5 superconferences, which would pave the way for a playoff system......which school presidents and (apparently ESPN) fear will eliminate many of the bowl games....

ESPN sees this landscape, is scared of it, and gives UT a nudge and the means to go independent......and locks them down for 20 years.

Notre Dame and now UT not being part of conferences puts a bit of a kink in the whole superconference idea, imo, and ESPN gets to keep it's crappy BCS system in play for this 20 years.

super-conspiracy, imonho.

I've seen many similar conspiracy theories on various forums, including something like ESPN feared the moves to 'superconferences' would provide an opening for FOX to take over a large segment of college football broadcasting, which they're trying to do. A battle over the rights to these new conferences could have cost them hundreds of millions or even billions more, so they offered a relatively less expensive 'bribe' of sorts to keep Texas from jumping and instead maintain the status quo.

Don't know if I buy it, because ESPN had to know something like this could cause others (A&M, OU) to jump ship, leaving them with a massive deal with Texas in place and still having to fight FOX for other broadcast rights. That or they're idiots, who really knows.

Blake
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Don't know if I buy it, because ESPN had to know something like this could cause others (A&M, OU) to jump ship, leaving them with a massive deal with Texas in place and still having to fight FOX for other broadcast rights. That or they're idiots, who really knows.

:lol I don't really know what I buy any more regarding college football.

I just know it's my favorite sport and that it's being run in the worst possible way.

NFO
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I just know it's my favorite sport and that it's being run in the worst possible way.

for the fans yes, for the college presidents no.

Blake
01-26-2011, 11:29 PM
for the fans yes, for the college presidents no.

in their eyes any way. I still haven't heard one of them come up with a legit reason not to have a playoff system.

lebomb
01-27-2011, 08:13 AM
...............damn, I agree with everything Blake just said.

fyatuk
01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
in their eyes any way. I still haven't heard one of them come up with a legit reason not to have a playoff system.

Not that I disagree, but "legit" is in the eye of the beholder.

MajorMike
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
UT will never, ever go independent. As long as UT and uo want to stay together, the NCAA and tv networks will allow them to field whatever conf they want and keep the auto BCS spot. The other schools would be stupid to give up a chance at a 1-in-9 or 10 BCS chance. If the NCAA mandated the B12 pickup a 10th to keep the BCS spot, they would look at an 'outsider' that would expand the tv/recruiting market (UNLV, Memphis, etc) and not necessarily the people everyone suspects (i.e. Houston) because they don't need any help in that market and they don't need one more Texas BCS school to recruit against.

Everyone says the B12 is doomed but as long as UT wants to keep it, it will remain, and they don't need atm to do it; however atm can't leave unless the gaining conf gives them money for buyout and to clear debt.

Blake
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Not that I disagree, but "legit" is in the eye of the beholder.

in my eye, there has been no legitimate argument made by university administrators against a playoff system.

just curious, have you heard any legitimate argument come from any of them?

Blake
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
UT will never, ever go independent. As long as UT and uo want to stay together, the NCAA and tv networks will allow them to field whatever conf they want and keep the auto BCS spot. The other schools would be stupid to give up a chance at a 1-in-9 or 10 BCS chance. If the NCAA mandated the B12 pickup a 10th to keep the BCS spot, they would look at an 'outsider' that would expand the tv/recruiting market (UNLV, Memphis, etc) and not necessarily the people everyone suspects (i.e. Houston) because they don't need any help in that market and they don't need one more Texas BCS school to recruit against.

Everyone says the B12 is doomed but as long as UT wants to keep it, it will remain, and they don't need atm to do it; however atm can't leave unless the gaining conf gives them money for buyout and to clear debt.

If the rest of the Big XII schools got pissed off at UT and joined other conferences, I'm not sure that UT goes and joins another conference.

Why would they?

Kermit
01-27-2011, 11:09 AM
If the rest of the Big XII schools got pissed off at UT and joined other conferences, I'm not sure that UT goes and joins another conference.

Why would they?

Texas is their meal ticket. It's one thing for established players like A&M to eye the SEC, but where the fuck is Iowa State et al going to go where they can get paid close to what they would make as Texas's bitch. Some schools probably don't mind being the vagina to UT's BSD as the alternative sucks much worse.

But to answer your question, I could see them joining the Big 10 if the legislature freed them from the other Texas schools. It's a perfect fit except for the travel.

Blake
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Texas is their meal ticket. It's one thing for established players like A&M to eye the SEC, but where the fuck is Iowa State et al going to go where they can get paid close to what they would make as Texas's bitch. Some schools probably don't mind being the vagina to UT's BSD as the alternative sucks much worse.

For the sake of argument, if Tech, OU, OSU maybe KU also decide to take off and also join the Pac10, then Iowa St is fucked regardless.

But to answer your question, I could see them joining the Big 10 if the legislature freed them from the other Texas schools. It's a perfect fit except for the travel.

and scheduling for A&M and OU?

I think UT would rather stay independent and write their own schedule, complete with an FCS or mediocre FBS school in there somewhere.

MajorMike
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
The key is, the other schools are not going to leave UT. atm might, but they certainly aren't central to the equation.

All atm is wants is a pass on their debt. They played with the SEC to get more money from the B12 and they are probably feigning the same thing now to see if they can get MORE money. Probably seeing that they aren't going to get their 20 mil anytime soon so they are trying to act like they are leaving to ensure they get it sooner. If not from the B12, I wouldn't be suprised to see something like the Texas legislature doing some sort of grant for atm's debt to keep them paired with UT.

atm is just panhanding under the bridge by Ingram Mall to see what they can get this week.

atm is the chick that thinks she is hotter than she is and her big sister is UT and she wants to get all the attention and boys that UT gets. After a while everyone gets tired of hearing her bitch and her big sister convinces one of her decent looking male friends to go out with her.

Blake
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
The key is, the other schools are not going to leave UT.

At the end of the day, I can't really see them leaving either, unless a conference came along with a deal that is just too good to pass up.

Kermit
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
For the sake of argument, if Tech, OU, OSU maybe KU also decide to take off and also join the Pac10, then Iowa St is fucked regardless.

and scheduling for A&M and OU?

I think UT would rather stay independent and write their own schedule, complete with an FCS or mediocre FBS school in there somewhere.

A B10 schedule with OU and Aggy would suuuuuuck. I just don't think UT wants to be independent. They've obviously set themselves up for any contingency, but the last thing (and I honestly believe this) that they want is a nuked Big 12. Being independent would be brutal on every sport that's not football. What conference would take them? Not a good one, so thank God for the new network because without it recruiting would take a nosedive as an independent. I think they're going to try and keep the conference together by any means necessary and it might mean having to buy off little brother. What A&M needs is a competent AD.

Blake
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Being independent would be brutal on every sport that's not football.

yeah, that's a good argument against going independent.

at least Notre Dame can use the Big East for the non-football sports.

johngateswhiteley
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
atm is just panhanding under the bridge by Ingram Mall to see what they can get this week.

atm is the chick that thinks she is hotter than she is and her big sister is UT and she wants to get all the attention and boys that UT gets. After a while everyone gets tired of hearing her bitch and her big sister convinces one of her decent looking male friends to go out with her.

you're an infant.

MajorMike
01-28-2011, 07:36 PM
you're an infant.

Matthew 21:16

Blake
01-28-2011, 10:42 PM
you're an infant.

I thought it was pretty funny.

You're a sensitive idiot.

johngateswhiteley
01-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I thought it was pretty funny.

You're a sensitive idiot.

there is no evidence to support such a claim. further, why would you give any ammo to cap'n mike? he's absurd. one of the most cynical and negative posters on this board. big time inferiority complex.

MajorMike
01-29-2011, 10:40 AM
why would you give any ammo to cap'n mike? he's absurd. one of the most cynical and negative posters on this board. big time inferiority complex.

Wow, and just... wow-wee-wow-wow.

jgw calling someone negative with an inferiority complex is like Pelosi calling Obama too liberal.

jgw, like every atm football elitest, lives in the past. Heck, he can't even get my rank right and I haven't been an O-3 for 3 years. You'd think someone with an atm background could get a simple concept like rank structure.

Altho, I guess the most ostracized and counterfactual poster in the history of this board has to have someone else to throw tantrums at. Such is the life of a simpleton.

johngateswhiteley
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Wow, and just... wow-wee-wow-wow.

jgw calling someone negative with an inferiority complex is like Pelosi calling Obama too liberal.

jgw, like every atm football elitest, lives in the past. Heck, he can't even get my rank right and I haven't been an O-3 for 3 years. You'd think someone with an atm background could get a simple concept like rank structure.

Altho, I guess the most ostracized and counterfactual poster in the history of this board has to have someone else to throw tantrums at. Such is the life of a simpleton.

you're getting lost in the trees. and make no mistake, I'm picked on for supporting two schools, nothing else. well...maybe also for t.u., but that's a healthy rivalry. not for lack of quality in post.

your entire agenda revolves around the dismissal of others and their school, while holding firm T. Boone's balls in your mouth. I call you cap'n, because I refuse to believe any real military branch would promote a little bitch, such as yourself, past an 0-3 grade.

and like any real student knows, history repeats itself.

MajorMike
01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Typical grade-school retort.

MajorMike
01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I call you cap'n, because I refuse to believe any real military branch would promote a little bitch, such as yourself, past an 0-3 grade.

Just like you refuse to believe that you are the laffing stock of this entire board, however both are true.

And it is O-3 with an O, not a zero. I'll leave the zero for you.

And why is it you can't make one intelligent comeback, they all have to be laden with swears and personal insults?

I guess when your life is like that, you lash out as such.

johngateswhiteley
01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Just like you refuse to believe that you are the laffing stock of this entire board, however both are true.

And it is O-3 with an O, not a zero. I'll leave the zero for you.

And why is it you can't make one intelligent comeback, they all have to be laden with swears and personal insults?

I guess when your life is like that, you lash out as such.

meh, i did it on my phone at a graduation ceremony. And, don't kid yourself. my comebacks? they are all clever. reread them.