PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam Admirals in The World Bowl!!!

alamo50
05-30-2005, 04:17 PM
ADMIRALS GOING BOWLING

By Craig TerBlanche

The (6-3) Amsterdam Admirals defeated the (4-5) Hamburg Sea Devils 27-10 Sunday afternoon at Amsterdam ArenA and clinched their first World Bowl berth since 1995.

http://www.admirals.nl/team/2005/images/week3/wk3_bartandrus_verhaal.jpg

“This does nothing but increase our confidence,” head coach Bart Andrus said. “We moved the ball really well today. We ran it when we had to run it and we moved the chains throwing the ball. That is the kind of team we are, tough-minded.”

With the (5-4) Cologne Centurions losing 28-16 (2-7) at home to the Rhein Fire the Admirals will face the Berlin Thunder in Yello Strom World Bowl XIII on Saturday, June 11.

“It has been a long time coming,” coach Andrus said. “I am real proud of these guys. They have played as a team all year. This game tonight was indicative of the way they approach things. It was touch-and-go in the first half and in the second half they came out and made a statement.”

The score at halftime was 6-3 in favor of the Admirals, but in the second half Amsterdam was on a mission. Kurt Kittner threw three touchdown passes and they were all to Ruvell Martin, who now leads the league with 10 touchdown receptions.

“The offense finally played well enough to help out the defense,” Kittner said. “The offensive line did an awesome job today. This is what we wanted to do coming out. It was a good day.”

Kittner completed 19 of 35 passes for 268 yards, three touchdowns and had a quarterback rating of 107.8.

“I didn’t play as well as I wanted to in the first half,” he said, “but I got going at the end of the second quarter and had a good second half. I will go back and watch film tomorrow because there is always room for improvement.”

Martin finished the day with five catches for 114 yards and three touchdowns, one of which he dedicated to his new baby girl, Kennedy.

“To come out here and do this is amazing,” Martin said. “I haven’t done that since college. It just happened to be that the times they came to me I made the plays. There were a few plays in first half that I didn’t make and at halftime coach (Allen) talked to us and told us that when the ball is in the air it is ours. We tried to go out with that mentality. We used that as motivation to come back out and didn’t let it happen again.”

http://www.admirals.nl/team/2005/images/week9/ruvellmartin_verhaal2.jpg

The Admirals defense stepped up as well and helped the Admirals stay a perfect 5-0 at home for the season.

“It is awesome to be undefeated at home,” safety Scott Connot said. “The fans have been great all year. They were very important in this game today and the feeling right now is unbelievable. We are riding pretty high right now.”

Connot led the team with seven tackles, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

“I had a pretty good game,” he said, “but the defense played well as a unit. We all played well.”

Next the Admirals travel to Düsseldorf to take on the Rhein Fire, which is where the World Bowl will be played the following week and with the game having no bearing on the championship match, the Admirals can use it to their advantage and prepare for Berlin.

“It is really good to have clinched because we have to go on the road,” coach Andrus said. “It just takes a lot off our shoulders. We can go in and play a relaxed game next week and then get ready for Berlin.”

:elephant

whottt
05-31-2005, 02:10 AM
Amsterdam Admirals? Did you get to pick the name? ;)