PDA

View Full Version : Mother Convicted of a Felony and Jailed For Faking Address For Daughters' Education

Mr. Peabody
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I've known sex offenders who have done less time in jail and received less probation.

Mom jailed for records falsification
Akron teacher's aide who sent girls to Copley also loses chance at license

By Ed Meyer
Beacon Journal staff writer

Published on Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011

An Akron woman was sentenced to 10 days in the Summit County Jail, placed on three years of probation and ordered to perform community service after being convicted of falsifying residency records so that her two children could attend Copley-Fairlawn schools.

Summit Common Pleas Judge Patricia Cosgrove, who handed down the sentence Tuesday afternoon in a packed courtroom, ordered Kelley Williams-Bolar, 40, to begin serving the sentence immediately.

Williams-Bolar, who was standing before the bench with her lawyer, sagged into the arms of sheriff's deputies as she was led away, sobbing loudly, to begin her jail time.

After seven hours of deliberations, a jury convicted her late Saturday of two counts of tampering with records.

While her two girls were registered as living with her father in Copley Township within the Copley school district, prosecutors maintained that they actually were living with Williams-Bolar on Hartford Avenue in Akron, in subsidized housing provided by the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority.

In addition to the tampering offenses, Williams-Bolar and her father, Edward L. Williams, 64, were charged with fourth-degree felonies of grand theft, accused of defrauding the school system of two years of educational services for the girls.

School officials testified that those services were worth about $30,500 in tuition.

The jury failed to reach unanimous verdicts on those charges, and Cosgrove declared a mistrial.

A decision on whether to re-try the grand theft charges against Williams-Bolar and her father is pending, prosecutors said.

On the tampering conviction, Cosgrove gave Williams-Bolar the maximum prison sentence — five years — for each of the two charges, with the sentences to run concurrently.

The judge then suspended all but 10 days of the sentence, which will be served in the county jail. Cosgrove also ordered Williams-Bolar to perform 80 hours of community service in mentoring programs sponsored by her church or the NAACP.

Teaching pursuit derailed

Cosgrove noted Williams-Bolar faces another form of punishment.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother, works as a teaching assistant with children with special needs at Buchtel High School. At the trial, she testified that she wanted to become a teacher and is a senior at the University of Akron, only a few credit hours short of a teaching degree.

That won't happen now, Cosgrove said.

''Because of the felony conviction, you will not be allowed to get your teaching degree under Ohio law as it stands today,'' the judge said. ''The court's taking into consideration that is also a punishment that you will have to serve.''

Williams-Bolar addressed Cosgrove briefly before being sentenced, saying ''there was no intention at all'' to deceive school officials.

She pleaded with Cosgrove not to put her behind bars.

''My girls need me,'' she said. ''I've never, ever gone a day without seeing them off. Never. My oldest daughter is 16.

''I need to be there to support them.''

Williams-Bolar's two girls, now 16 and 12, are attending schools elsewhere. They left the Copley-Fairlawn district before the 2009 school term.

The Rev. Lorenzo Glenn of Macedonia Baptist Church also pleaded for leniency, saying his church has a mentoring program well suited for probation in lieu of prison time.

Glenn told the judge that he has known Williams-Bolar for more than 20 years and was overwhelmed by her convictions.

''This is a serious matter, but by all means,'' Glenn said, ''it was done to help her children.''

Glenn noted the attention the case has drawn and the resources used to prosecute the case.

All of Cleveland's major television stations had cameras at the sentencing.

''When I see all the media here today, you'd think it was a serial killing,'' Glenn said.

Cosgrove said some incarceration was appropriate, ''so that others who think they might defraud the school system perhaps will think twice.''

Assistant county prosecutor Terri Burnside, one of the two government lawyers assigned to the case, did not object to probation for Williams-Bolar.

After the sentencing, Brian Poe, Copley-Fairlawn school superintendent, said the prosecution of Williams-Bolar and her father ''obviously is a very difficult and uncomfortable case.''

According to court testimony, there were 30 to 40 similar residency cases involving other families from August 2006 to June 2008, when Williams-Bolar's children were enrolled in Copley schools.

Williams-Bolar was the only parent prosecuted, according to testimony.

Poe said an effort was made to avoid criminal charges.

''We were able to resolve 99.9 percent of our residency disputes with the folks we called in for residency hearings,'' he said. ''In this case, we were not able to resolve that.

''So, therefore, with the information that we were able to uncover, we felt it necessary to provide that information to the prosecutor's office.''

Prosecutors presented several hours of videotaped evidence — much of it shot by a private investigator through a wrought-iron fence. The videos showed Williams-Bolar dropping off her children at a bus stop, a short walk from her father's home, for the ride to school.

Poe said this case was not pursued as a deterrent.

''We have, for the past three and a half years, gone after residency cases and had residency hearings,'' he said. ''It's something that's important to us. We are not an open-enrollment district.''

Laurie Cramer, spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office, said Edward Williams has outstanding theft and tampering charges in connection with a case involving the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Those charges were separated from the Copley-Fairlawn residency case before it went to trial. A pretrial hearing involving Williams is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday in Cosgrove's court.

Ed Meyer can be reached at 330-996-3784 or [email protected].

mouse
01-25-2011, 11:00 PM
She should have called.

http://www.thecityofcorpuschristi.com/attorneys/corpus-christi-texas-attorneys-wayne-wright-llp.jpg

Mr. Peabody
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
She should have called.

http://www.thecityofcorpuschristi.com/attorneys/corpus-christi-texas-attorneys-wayne-wright-llp.jpg

Unless she slipped and fell at the school, I don't think a personal injury lawyer would have helped.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Williams-Bolar, a single mother, works as a teaching assistant with children with special needs at Buchtel High School. At the trial, she testified that she wanted to become a teacher and is a senior at the University of Akron, only a few credit hours short of a teaching degree.

That won't happen now, Cosgrove said.

''Because of the felony conviction, you will not be allowed to get your teaching degree under Ohio law as it stands today,'' the judge said. ''The court's taking into consideration that is also a punishment that you will have to serve.''

That's sad. I get that she broke the law, but it's a shame that she won't be able to finish her degree. Seems like she was a hard working single mother.

BlackSwordsMan
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
What you need is a grandmother who lives on the west side so that you can attend tafola.

boutons_deux
01-26-2011, 12:28 AM
"she won't be able to finish her degree"

Not only that, a state felony conviction means she's excluded from most jobs for life.

The Reckoning
01-26-2011, 01:11 AM
and in related news, ohio still sucks!

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2011, 02:17 AM
wow she prob. got caught cause she's in subsidised housing

frodo
01-26-2011, 02:25 AM
someone faked a birth certificate but received no sentence/probation at all... just exhibits the absence of justice imho

mouse
01-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Sorry, how about......................

YCWjey1Uzw0

ploto
01-26-2011, 05:45 AM
So many people do this. You have to wonder why they really targeted this one person. A school went so far as to hire a private investigator who took videotape of this! Actually, if the dad lives in the district and therefore pays property tax (either through ownership or his rent) then it does not seem like that awful of a deal to the school district for his kids to attend school there.

boutons_deux
01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
"really targeted this one person"

She is a uppity black, trying to get good education for her kids, and too poor to hire enough lawyering to get a "settlement" like rich criminals and corporations do.

TX has 7000 state felony statues. It's how TX since Emancipation has kept the blacks and browns "in their place".

Summers
01-26-2011, 09:26 AM
That's sad. I get that she broke the law, but it's a shame that she won't be able to finish her degree. Seems like she was a hard working single mother.

That's the part that really bothers me, too. Fine, a few days in jail because she got caught, but a felony conviction? I can personally attest to how difficult it is to go back to school when you have kids and have to work. It would be devastating to be told your degree is basically worthless.

So many people do this. You have to wonder why they really targeted this one person. A school went so far as to hire a private investigator who took videotape of this! Actually, if the dad lives in the district and therefore pays property tax (either through ownership or his rent) then it does not seem like that awful of a deal to the school district for his kids to attend school there.

It seems odd, I agree.

mrsmaalox
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
So, we must educate children of illegal immigrants, but seeking a better education for our own is a felony?

And to take away her means to better her family is outrageous.

Marklar MM
01-26-2011, 12:28 PM
This is stupid. I know so many people who went to my school simply for sports...and they never even lived in the city. Parents simply rented them an apartment during the school year.

Not to mention, why did they go after this lady, when they had dozens of similar cases in the same district the last couple years.

Blake
01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Williams-Bolar addressed Cosgrove briefly before being sentenced, saying ''there was no intention at all'' to deceive school officials.

After the sentencing, Brian Poe, Copley-Fairlawn school superintendent, said the prosecution of Williams-Bolar and her father ''obviously is a very difficult and uncomfortable case.''

According to court testimony, there were 30 to 40 similar residency cases involving other families from August 2006 to June 2008, when Williams-Bolar's children were enrolled in Copley schools.

Williams-Bolar was the only parent prosecuted, according to testimony.

Poe said an effort was made to avoid criminal charges.

''We were able to resolve 99.9 percent of our residency disputes with the folks we called in for residency hearings,'' he said. ''In this case, we were not able to resolve that.

''So, therefore, with the information that we were able to uncover, we felt it necessary to provide that information to the prosecutor's office.''

I would agree that a felony charge seems severe, but it's hard to feel to sorry for a liar that knows what they are doing wrong to begin with.....and then was given a chance to stop.

MiamiHeat
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
EDIT: forget it. im outta this thread.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
This is stupid. I know so many people who went to my school simply for sports...and they never even lived in the city. Parents simply rented them an apartment during the school year...

Exactly.

In L.A. (and I'm sure most other cities), I know that it's pretty common even for the schools to pay for apartments for athletes that they want to have residency in their area. They do it on the downlow, but everyone knows that it's happening.

ploto
01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I would agree that a felony charge seems severe, but it's hard to feel to sorry for a liar that knows what they are doing wrong to begin with.....and then was given a chance to stop.

How do we know what they told her. Obviously, they could have simply not allowed the kids to attend and that would have been the end of it. Their claim is that she owed them money for it, but so would everyone else. Did the other people pay them off?

ploto
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM

39 out of 40 is not 99.9%.

MiamiHeat
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
How do we know what they told her. Obviously, they could have simply not allowed the kids to attend and that would have been the end of it. Their claim is that she owed them money for it, but so would everyone else. Did the other people pay them off?

if that is true, sounds like a principal looking for alternative means of funding.

Dark Gable
01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
This could have been handled without her getting a felony charge.

Dex
01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
39 out of 40 is not 99.9%.

97.5% is damn close....but who's counting?

jack sommerset
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I think she got what she deserved. 10 days is a nice warning shot and it is a felony. Hopefully she doesn't pull this kind of stunt again. I wouldn't want her working for me knowing she has no problem tampering with records.

Blake
01-26-2011, 04:59 PM

We don't know anything other than what this article tells us.

If it was as simple as not allowing the kids to attend, then there would be no need for residency hearings.

rjv
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
accused of defrauding the school system of two years of educational services for the girls.

if this is a felony then they ought to go after the school district next

MannyIsGod
01-26-2011, 05:09 PM

I don't feel bad about someone who is lying to make life better for their child. This is just fucking shitty. When a rich person games the system they get off with a slap on the wrist so fucking often it disgusts me but when someone does something like this that is ultimately not even selfish they get screwed beyond what any reasonable person considers OK.

Shit like this just pisses me off so much.

Mr. Peabody
01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I think she got what she deserved. 10 days is a nice warning shot and it is a felony. Hopefully she doesn't pull this kind of stunt again. I wouldn't want her working for me knowing she has no problem tampering with records.

Well, if it is true that this is "what she deserved," then we have an issue as to why 39 others didn't get "what they deserved". If the issue is so black and white, why wasn't so black and white for everyone?

Blake
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't feel bad about someone who is lying to make life better for their child. This is just fucking shitty. When a rich person games the system they get off with a slap on the wrist so fucking often it disgusts me but when someone does something like this that is ultimately not even selfish they get screwed beyond what any reasonable person considers OK.

Shit like this just pisses me off so much.

I feel bad for the kids and again, I don't like that it's a felony charge.

Life being unfair, however, is not a good enough excuse to try to cheat or steal from the system.

Blake
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, if it is true that this is "what she deserved," then we have an issue as to why 39 others didn't get "what they deserved". If the issue is so black and white, why wasn't so black and white for everyone?

The superintendent said the other cases were resolved in residency hearings.

From what I gather here, the mother either failed to show up for her scheduled hearing from the school district or she failed to provide the proper paperwork to prove residency for the kids and did not proceed to pull them out.

CuckingFunt
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
TX has 7000 state felony statues.

Seems a waste of bronze.

jack sommerset
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM

That's america as we know it today. "Well, so and so got away with it, why can't I." You do the crime be prepared for the time. She knew she was committing a crime.

This shit pisses me off so much. She knew what was coming and she still cried "loud" after getting freaken 10 days in county jail. If she really is around her kids as much as she implies she is, this might be a nice break. 10 days is nothing.

Sorry Manny, I 100 percent disagree with it's ok to lie to make a better life for your kid.(You show me where this is the only choice the mom had I may feel a bit different) She got caught, 10 days in the pokey and will have this on her record. Hopefully when she looks for a job, if she even works, she can have a boss super cool like Manny that would understand why she would do something like that and hire her.

jack sommerset
01-26-2011, 07:20 PM

From what I gather here, the mother either failed to show up for her scheduled hearing from the school district or she failed to provide the proper paperwork to prove residency for the kids and did not proceed to pull them out.

That's makes perfect sense.

Mr. Peabody
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Right, but the issue I have with that is the school district is now, in a sense, getting to decide who will be prosecuted for a felony and who won't based on whether someone agrees to submit to whatever ad-hoc administrative procedure they've set up.

Also, if the State is aware that 39 others have committed the same offense, the State has the discretion to go forward with a case regardless of the school district's position. If you're going to enforce the law, enforce it.

Mr. Peabody
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
That's america as we know it today. "Well, so and so got away with it, why can't I." You do the crime be prepared for the time. She knew she was committing a crime.

I seriously doubt that she was aware she was committing a felony offense. It appears that they used the value of the education to charge the offense as a felony.

Mr. Peabody
01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
It's funny to contrast the title and opening sentence of the same story from ABCNews and Fox News -

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

By ANDREA CANNING and LEEZEL TANGLAO
Jan. 26, 2011—

An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars . . . .

Education Scam Gives Ohio Woman a Lesson in Jail Time
Published January 26, 2011 | FoxNews.com

An Ohio woman was jailed after she made an attempt to place her daughters in a better school district without paying taxes for their education . . . .

:lol

Blake
01-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Right, but the issue I have with that is the school district is now, in a sense, getting to decide who will be prosecuted for a felony and who won't based on whether someone agrees to submit to whatever ad-hoc administrative procedure they've set up.

It's up to the prosecutor to accept or reject the complaint from the school district.

If the school district feels it has gone as far as it can go without resolution, what would you propose they do instead of filing a complaint with the courts?

Also, if the State is aware that 39 others have committed the same offense, the State has the discretion to go forward with a case regardless of the school district's position. If you're going to enforce the law, enforce it.

You are assuming that 39 others knowingly falsified records.

Blake
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
fwiw

she was released by the judge today after only serving one day

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2011/01/26/should-it-be-a-felony-to-lie-to-enroll-your-children-in-a-better-school/?cxntfid=blogs_get_schooled_blog

MannyIsGod
01-26-2011, 11:57 PM
I feel bad for the kids and again, I don't like that it's a felony charge.

Life being unfair, however, is not a good enough excuse to try to cheat or steal from the system.

Steal from the system? Really? This is a total crock of shit.

When a parent has to do things like this to get their kids a better education its not stealing from the system its a complete example of how broken the system is. There is no reason that kids in the same country and same state much less the same fucking city should be subject to such an inferior education that their mother has to do something like this. Its especially stupid considering their father was paying property taxes within the district in question.

She's a citizen of the state and country that provides for that school districts funding.

Stealing? Fuck that bullshit.

And thats not even considering the punishment. The punishment is so incredibly excessive and will do nothing but cost the state MORE money in the long run. Its counter productive in every sense of the word.

There is absolutely nothing to take from this situation that is positive. Nothing.

Slydragon
01-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Sorry, how about......................

YCWjey1Uzw0

I like the Spanish one

WugGMSOMBbw

Blake
01-27-2011, 12:19 AM

I don't disagree it's a shit system, but they are still considering prosecuting for theft. It is what it is.

When a parent has to do things like this to get their kids a better education its not stealing from the system its a complete example of how broken the system is. There is no reason that kids in the same country and same state much less the same fucking city should be subject to such an inferior education that their mother has to do something like this.

or she could move to that school district.

Its especially stupid considering their father was paying property taxes within the district in question.

not their father. her father.

she could move in with her father.

There is absolutely nothing to take from this situation that is positive. Nothing.

Hopefully it just fans the fire, shedding brighter light on how crappy the system still is.

desflood
01-27-2011, 12:19 AM

When a parent has to do things like this to get their kids a better education its not stealing from the system its a complete example of how broken the system is. There is no reason that kids in the same country and same state much less the same fucking city should be subject to such an inferior education that their mother has to do something like this. Its especially stupid considering their father was paying property taxes within the district in question.

She's a citizen of the state and country that provides for that school districts funding.

Stealing? Fuck that bullshit.

And thats not even considering the punishment. The punishment is so incredibly excessive and will do nothing but cost the state MORE money in the long run. Its counter productive in every sense of the word.

:tu

MannyIsGod
01-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Shine light on how broken the system is? Blake you're saying she got what she deserve and there are a lot of people out there saying the same thing. Look at the way it was reported on Fox News.

People don't think the system is broken. They just see another poor person breaking the law and getting what they deserve. This isn't going to change shit and a person who was about to become productive with a degree and add to our society has just been knocked down and her kids with her.

Its just bullshit. I'm not disputing that she broke the law but the law isn't there so we have a justification to punish people. Laws are in place to protect the people of our society and no one is being protected here. This isn't a case about technicalities and to view the technicalities as anything more than a shallow representation of what happened here and what it means is incredibly wrong.

I hope your right about it shining light, but I'm extremely skeptical and pessimistic about that.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Apparently the Judge tried to get it reduced to a misdemeanor but the prosecutor would not budge. Thats so disgusting.

ploto
01-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Even if the other people pulled their kids out when they got caught, they still had committed the same crime. No way she was the only one who was there "unrightfully" so. They used the supposed value of the educational costs to charge her with a felony. Wouldn't everyone else have "stolen" too?

Blake
01-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Shine light on how broken the system is? Blake you're saying she got what she deserve and there are a lot of people out there saying the same thing. Look at the way it was reported on Fox News.

People don't think the system is broken. They just see another poor person breaking the law and getting what they deserve. This isn't going to change shit and a person who was about to become productive with a degree and add to our society has just been knocked down and her kids with her.

Its just bullshit. I'm not disputing that she broke the law but the law isn't there so we have a justification to punish people. Laws are in place to protect the people of our society and no one is being protected here. This isn't a case about technicalities and to view the technicalities as anything more than a shallow representation of what happened here and what it means is incredibly wrong.

I hope your right about it shining light, but I'm extremely skeptical and pessimistic about that.

I think a felony charge is excessive and I've said as much.

I would like to know why the prosecutor was pushing so hard for a felony charge and why it took the jury 7 hours to reach a verdict.

I would also like to know how much the school district tried to warn her of the consequences before the complaint was filed.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2011, 01:04 AM
I looked up the demographic make up of the school district. 86% white. I'm shocked. I wonder how many predominately black school districts in the greater Akron area have the resources to to hire PIs to make cases like this?

Had this been a misdemeanor then everyone could move on quite easily. I support the mother doing what she did even if its illegal, but I doubt I get upset if she's caught and found guilty of a misdemeanor. She gets her probation and moves on gets her degree and betters herself and her kids but pays a price. But this is just wrong.

To me, I see so much racism in this case. A poor black woman gets denied the same opportunities white children have and has to deal with a complete and utter failure of the justice system. Its so damn wrong.

Blake
01-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Even if the other people pulled their kids out when they got caught, they still had committed the same crime. No way she was the only one who was there "unrightfully" so. They used the supposed value of the educational costs to charge her with a felony. Wouldn't everyone else have "stolen" too?

Give a specific example for us to compare and contrast with this case.