PDA

View Full Version : Put the damn video game down and go kill something, dammit

RandomGuy
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
French hunters urged to declare war on the boar

French farmers and forestry experts are at a loss to explain a dramatic rise in the numbers of wild boar, apparently linked to increased fertility among the female animals.

Last winter, hunters across the country killed a record 560,000 boar - 10 times more than they were shooting 30 years ago.

But the population is easily replacing itself, and now stands at well over a million.

The problem is not just that the animals cause severe damage to crops and meadowland.

They are also beginning to encroach on areas inhabited by humans. Omnivorous, adaptable and highly mobile, wild boar have been increasingly spotted in town streets and gardens in recent years.

In 2009, they were responsible for nearly 21,000 road accidents across the country. Neighbouring countries including Germany and Italy reported similar problems. Now it is up to the hunters to keep the wild boar population under control

To curb their numbers, the government recently enacted a National Wild Boar Control Plan. This authorises the hunting of boar all year round, in suburban zones as well as the countryside, and at night as well as in the daytime.

'Hunters' paradise'

One other factor is changing human behaviour.

[B] France may be known as a hunters' paradise, but in fact the number of hunters is falling. This has to do with the declining number of farmers, and the spread of a sedentary, suburban lifestyle.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11948612

------------------

The NPR story I heard the other day had some old guy complaining about young kids not being interested in real world hunting anymore.

Calling all rednecks, France needs you! :lol

Summers
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Mmm... sausage!

[bla bla bla biology stuff about the boars increasing fertility rates]

You did that just to piss me off, didn't you?

sickdsm
01-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Its probably just too hard to legally get a gun but much easier to get Black Ops.

Sec24Row7
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Not all rednecks are hunters and not all hunters are rednecks...

RandomGuy
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Not all rednecks are hunters and not all hunters are rednecks...

That sounds like the beginning of one of those logic puzzles, you know where some blorts are blats but not all blats are blorts...

If some rednecks are hunters, and some hunters are rednecks, is it logical to conclude that they all like to eat ham?

Mmmmm wild boar ham steaks...

RandomGuy
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
You did that just to piss me off, didn't you?

No dear. :D Not everybody finds the biological intricacies of porcine fertility and evolution (HA!) as fascinating as you do. It was only left out so that it doesn't make most people's eyes glaze over. Welcome to the sound-bite (sight-bite?) world.

For those of you that do, I did provide a link to the original article.

BlairForceDejuan
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I've never been a fan of pork, but Deer (venison) Sausage is pity meat.

When I eat it, I pity vegetarians. Every man needs a couple redneck buddies to keep him well supplied imho.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
That sounds like the beginning of one of those logic puzzles, you know where some blorts are blats but not all blats are blorts...

If some rednecks are hunters, and some hunters are rednecks, is it logical to conclude that they all like to eat ham?

Mmmmm wild boar ham steaks...

You just offended countless Jewish rednecks around the world with this statement.