PDA

View Full Version : From NBA Playbook - The RJ addition to the Spurs' traditional offense

Spursfanfromafar
01-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Spurs Use The Pick And Roll To Get A Big Three Late (http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/01/27/spurs-use-the-pick-and-roll-to-get-a-big-three-late/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NBAPlaybook+(NBA+Playbook)&utm_content=ESPN)

Against the Jazz, the Spurs were up six points with about five minutes left. As the Spurs brought the basketball, they got into a Ginobili-Duncan pick and roll that ended with a Richard Jefferson three pointer in the corner (where else would it come from?). This big three tells you a lot about the San Antonio Spurs’ offensive philosophy this year:

http://nbaplaybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/134.jpg

After setting his screen, Richard Jefferson backpedals to his home in the corner, behind the three point line. Meanwhile Tim Duncan comes over to Ginobili as he makes the catch to run a pick and roll.

http://nbaplaybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/325.jpg

As Ginobili comes off of the screen, Duncan’s man shows hard, allowing for Duncan to roll free in the paint to the rim. This forces Jefferson’s man, Andrei Kirilenko, to leave Jefferson and step up to stop Duncan.

http://nbaplaybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/420.jpg

Duncan makes the catch, and before even looking at the basket for his own shot, he kicks it out to Jefferson in the corner.

http://nbaplaybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/55.jpg

Jefferson is able to rise up and knock down the jumper as Kirilenko is late contesting the shot. Here is the play in real time:

See video in the post and more (http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/01/27/spurs-use-the-pick-and-roll-to-get-a-big-three-late/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NBAPlaybook+(NBA+Playbook)&utm_content=ESPN)

greyforest
01-27-2011, 07:35 AM
haha just came here to post this.

duncan is a great PG

ohmwrecker
01-27-2011, 09:44 AM
but . . . but . . . RJ sucks . . . he's a complete and total non-factor . . . he still doesn't fit . . . he didn't improve after all . . .

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

ginobilized
01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
every player touched the ball on that possession
gotta love it

honestfool84
01-27-2011, 10:23 AM
what a great play. love Duncan's complete unselfishness.

duncan228
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Richard Jefferson and the corner three (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Jesse Blanchard
48 Minutes of Hell

Lost in the scoring fireworks last night (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-112-utah-jazz-105-the-spurs-survive-the-jazz-latest-comeback) that was Deron Williams versus Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, with Williams nearly outdoing both, was a quietly solid night (14 points, five rebounds) and big moment from Richard Jefferson.

With the San Antonio Spurs lead cut down to six in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, and momentum squarely in favor of the Utah Jazz, the Spurs ran a play that produced a dagger from the most familiar of places for Spurs fans: the corner three-pointer.

As always, Sebastian Pruiti of NBA playbook was quick to breakdown the pick and roll (http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/01/27/spurs-use-the-pick-and-roll-to-get-a-big-three-late/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NBAPlaybook+(NBA+Playbook)&utm_content=ESPN#) that led to Jefferson’s timely shot (at this point, he could probably just create a section earmarked solely for Gregg Popovich) and note the Spurs increased emphasis on the three-pointer.

This play is a perfect example of the Spurs’ new offensive strategy. In years past, the Ginobili-Duncan pick and roll was designed to try and free up Ginobili coming off of the screen or Duncan on the roll. This year, they are looking for the three off of plays like this. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if coach Popovich ran this play with the hopes of getting an open three pointer in the corner.

As Pruiti mentions, the Spurs now run the Manu Ginobili/Tim Duncan pick and roll to set up a corner three-pointer just as often as they do to get Ginobili or Duncan going to the rim. Of course, these days it’s more out of necessity than design. But by finding a home behind that baseline three-point line, Richard Jefferson has found a home in San Antonio.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/richard-jefferson-and-the-corner-three#more-12594)

Blackjack
01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
What's been more eye-opening to me is the fact that Pop has been going to RJ in set pieces out of timeouts and inbounds plays when the Spurs have needed a bucket in the 4th.

They've been running plays for him almost like they used to do for Finley, pin-downs for a jumper or designed kick-outs off a screen for him to rise up and shoot 15-18' jumpers -- and he's been coming through.

I need Harlem or somebody to find out where his 4th quarter jump shooting is at in such a circumstance. RJ has been, dare-I-say, clutch for a good portion of the year in said plays.

mathbzh
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
What's been more eye-opening to me is the fact that Pop has been going to RJ in set pieces out of timeouts and inbounds plays when the Spurs have needed a bucket in the 4th.

They've been running plays for him almost like they used to do for Finley, pin-downs for a jumper or designed kick-outs off a screen for him to rise up and shoot 15-18' jumpers -- and he's been coming through.

I need Harlem or somebody to find out where his 4th quarter jump shooting is at in such a circumstance. RJ has been, dare-I-say, clutch for a good portion of the year in said plays.

According to 82games.com, clutch being defined as

For these stats "Clutch" is defined as:
4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points

Jefferson is really clutch (61minutes played):
FG% 53
3P% 57
FT% 100
19.5 pts/48min

JR21
01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Cool breakdown keep em coming...

crc21209
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM

+1. Even in games where RJ isnt getting shots or is struggling a bit, he tends to be making alot of his shots with 7 mins and under or so to go in the 4th....pretty damn good. :tu

TD 21
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm not surprised. He's also went to Neal a lot. Ultimately, he knows they needs those guys to make big shots to win in the playoffs and they need them to be confident in those situations. Going to them out of a timeout is like a warmup or a rehearsal for that.

It's all part of the process of having everyone feel like a big part of the team so that they'll go through the proverbial wall for each other and having as many options as possible in those situations that he feels they can rely on. Teams can't key on everyone in late game situations. Naturally, Ginobili, Parker and Duncan, in that order, will be the focus of defenses.

The more practice guys like Jefferson, Hill, Bonner and Neal can get in those situations, the better. I know taking and making big shots at a critical juncture of a playoff game is different than taking a shot out of a timeout of a random regular season game. But it's as close as you can get to simulating those situations in the regular season.

NRHector
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
damn everybody was waiting behind the three point line

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2011, 10:07 PM

Jefferson is 32-55 from the field on 4th quarter jump shots, a very good rate of efficiency..

I don't have the data for "set plays", because it's too subjective for it's own category, and in this case, the sample size is relatively limited..

Most of Jefferson's shot attempts in the 4th quarter have come from the corners off penetration..however, virtually all of the mid-range jump shots he has taken in the 4th quarter were either drawn up plays on the inbounds, or mid-range shots in transition..

Cessation
01-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice play.

Blackjack
01-28-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm not surprised. He's also went to Neal a lot. Ultimately, he knows they needs those guys to make big shots to win in the playoffs and they need them to be confident in those situations. Going to them out of a timeout is like a warmup or a rehearsal for that.

I'm not surprised either, for the same things you mention. Pop looking long term and all. What's surprising is how well RJ's been coming through; and not just him making the shots but coming through even when he may be struggling for the first three quarters.

He's not only been clutch, he's been resilient -- not allowing what's gone before to affect those shots the team just has to have to keep things moving.

Jefferson is 32-55 from the field on 4th quarter jump shots, a very good rate of efficiency..

I don't have the data for "set plays", because it's too subjective for it's own category, and in this case, the sample size is relatively limited..

Most of Jefferson's shot attempts in the 4th quarter have come from the corners off penetration..however, virtually all of the mid-range jump shots he has taken in the 4th quarter were either drawn up plays on the inbounds, or mid-range shots in transition..

Yeah, that's what I was getting at and the numbers seem to bear out what I've noticed. Thanks. :toast

It's just pretty amazing to think about the kind of player RJ is and how he looked last year and to see the results now in this particular aspect (trusted shooter).

I mean, Pop saw that his corner 3 wasn't quite on target and had RJ set up inside the 3-point line (like he was doing against Dallas last year when he shouldn't have been) to receive a pass off the penetration. It was a little congested spacing-wise but he made the shot and seemingly got his bearings.

RJ's actually been showing grit as a shooter . . .

Blackjack
01-28-2011, 01:35 AM
And I saw that mathbzh, but thanks for checking it out. :tu

Spursfanfromafar
01-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Blackjack, if you could get someone who has access to Synergy Sports, you can get that information. As in, how many FGs by RJ are from set plays, from P&Rs, and the likes. I suppose the best person to ask is Scott Sereday from 48MoH. If he is reading this.. Hey. Scott. Can you please oblige through a post on 48MoH?

Seventyniner
01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Pop knows that he can't give the ball to Manu and clear everyone else out 100% of the time in the clutch, so he has to prepare each potential clutch-time player to take the big shot.

This also sets up the chess match in the postseason, because Pop is training opposing coaches to not triple-team Manu; every Spur is willing to take the last shot and therefore cannot be left open (confidence does wonders in those situations).

WalterBenitez
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
every player touched the ball on that possession
gotta love it

Yeah, I saw that, great and pure team BBall oriented.

Blackjack
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Blackjack, if you could get someone who has access to Synergy Sports, you can get that information. As in, how many FGs by RJ are from set plays, from P&Rs, and the likes. I suppose the best person to ask is Scott Sereday from 48MoH. If he is reading this.. Hey. Scott. Can you please oblige through a post on 48MoH?

Yeah, I'm in the process of getting access to the site. It's been down for whatever reason, so I'm just waiting on them.

If anyone here does have access to Synergy though, I'd love to hear someone fill me in on what's going on with it and how it works -- getting access and if you're still able to use as we speak.

mazerrackham
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I remember at the beginning of the year (Probably at least 20 games into the season) RJ was shooting like 60% from three and 50+% from the field in the 4th quarter. Those numbers were amazing. They've gone down a bit but he's hit many big 4th quarter shots, and his percentage is still good.