PDA

View Full Version : rangers to try feliz as a starter?

Phillip
01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/01/26/neftali.feliz.changing.positions/index.html

JamStone
01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Having an automatic closer is huge in the MLB. But I still value a great starting pitcher over a great closer. I feel the difference in impact is significant enough. If Feliz is an above average starter, I'd keep him there. If he's average or worse, then I'd reconsider.

Phillip
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
theres no question the dude has a hell of an arm, and has a lot of potential to be a really good pitcher. id say its worth a shot to see if he is capable of being a starter. if it doesnt work out, then he goes back to being a closer.

monosylab1k
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
He was supposed to be a starter all along, but as he's developed he seems to have more in common with great closers than great starters. He's got one absolutely monster, dominating pitch, but after that all his pitches are fair to mediocre. Even in the minors there were plenty of times where he'd start games, dominate for 3 innings, and then struggle a bit the second time through the lineup after hitters were able to catch up to his fastball.

I agree if he can be a #3 starter or better, he's worth keeping as a starter. But if not, I'd much rather he be this team's closer. As it is, he needs A LOT of work on his secondary pitches for him to ever be a quality starter. His changeup has gotten alot better, but that needs work, along with his curve. And he needs to have much better control of all his pitches.

sribb43
01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
With Frankie gone, Feliz wont be starting this coming year. They will give him a shot but unless he shows his secondary pitches are consistent, he needs to stay in the pen

Phillip
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
They will give him a shot but unless he shows his secondary pitches are consistent, he needs to stay in the pen

pretty much what jon daniels just said on the ticket too. said lowe and ogando will get shots at closing if feliz shows he can be a capable starter in spring training.

EricB
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Feliz has a bad curveball, decent changeup and inconsistent slider.

Bad move. Leave him in the pen.