PDA

View Full Version : Will Pop choose Timmy as the replacement starter?

007nites
01-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Thats if Timmy gets in as a reserve.

http://news1.capitalbay.com/basketball/pbt_breaking_down_the_all-star.html

DesignatedT
01-27-2011, 10:57 PM
no.

007nites
01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
no.

Ok thanks.

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2011, 01:24 AM
i think he deserved to go out one last time like what they did for shaq, but he probably prefers to stay at home and play wii

justinandimcool
01-28-2011, 01:26 AM
All coaches vote on reserves, Stern chooses injury replacements.

duncan228
01-28-2011, 01:32 AM
All coaches vote on reserves, Stern chooses injury replacements.

Then Pop picks the starter.

NBA head coaches (or their designated PR flacks) will now vote on seven reserve spots in each conference. Coaches aren’t allowed to vote for their own players, and must include at least one center, two forwards and two guards on their ballots. Once the reserves are named, [David] Stern will announce a replacement for Yao and any other players who pull out of the game. Gregg Popovich, who will coach the West All-Stars, will select one of his reserves to take Yao’s starting spot.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/yao-ming-again-voted-an-all-star-starter-cue-outrage/

Blackjack
01-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I can't see Pop doing it. The only way I could see it happening is if the players implored him to.

Otherwise, I expect Pop to inflate the ego of Gasol with some very flattering praise and a start. :lol

FlAVaK
01-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Kinda surprised this thread hasn`t been started by Rapper...

jestersmash
01-28-2011, 02:52 AM
I expect Pop to start whoever is chosen as the All Star reserve center. The player chosen by Stern as Yao's replacement comes off the bench.

Dex
01-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Too bad Shaq is so old and busted, or Pop could've busted out the Hack All-Star style.

UnWantedTheory
01-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Hmmmm....I am truly surprised there is another TD-Spurs-All-Star thread. I am glad to know we care so much, even if there are many other threads similar to this one. I salute you Spurs fan. You may not be unique, but you are sure as hell loyal. Again, I commend & salute you.:toast

m33p0
01-28-2011, 04:50 AM
if pop could do that, i don't think so. in fact, i'm 99% sure he won't. :lol

m33p0
01-28-2011, 04:51 AM
and if he doesn't, you can bet your ass the media will be complaining about it. :lmao

FTLSpur
01-28-2011, 07:10 AM
I think he'll start if he gets voted in by the coaches :)

honestfool84
01-28-2011, 10:03 AM
hopefully.

ploto
01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Pop probably does not think he deserves to start and will not pick him.

If he does, it will spoil the whole facade that the Spurs don't really care about things like All-Star games.

ElNono
01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I think he'll ask the players if they want to vote who should start, and if the players don't want to choose, he'll probably play Gasol or whoever the coaches select from the reserves.

gospursgojas
01-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Im sure he'll pick Matt Bonner instead

timtonymanu
01-29-2011, 12:00 AM
No. He'll probably give it to Pau.

YODA
01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
I expect Pop to start whoever is chosen as the All Star reserve center. The player chosen by Stern as Yao's replacement comes off the bench.

Stern will replace after the coaches choose the reserves. thus, it will be someone he chooses and doesnt necessarily have to be a Center.

how they chooose who will start will be wild though

Blake
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
I could see it.

Duncan starts, wins the tip, and Pop immediately sits him for rest of the night.

Meanwhile, Gasol plays 44 minutes in reserve.

spurs10
01-29-2011, 12:57 AM
I could see it.

Duncan starts, wins the tip, and Pop immediately sits him for rest of the night.

47!:toast:toast

Josepatches_
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I could see it.

All Star is a party.It's as tired as walking.A team practice is harder.

I'm sure TD will be in the All Star weekend anyway.He will have promos or NBA activities to do.It's not like he was going to stay at home.

If he's an all star he will play 10/15 minutes easily like he did in the previous ones when he was starter.

DAF86
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
If Duncan gets voted in by the coaches as a reserve Pop should put Tim as a starter to keep the streak alive, and I think he will.

Obstructed_View
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
He should, and if anyone questions him about it, he should say, "Duncan's the best player on the best team. If he were on the Lakers instead of Gasol, the Lakers would have the best record. If he were on the Heat instead of Bosh, they would have the best record. If he were on the Celtics instead of Garnett, they would have the best record."

If Pop really believes that "I'm just a dope who coaches great players" shit that he likes to trot out there, then Tim Duncan deserves some gesture to prove it.

DPG21920
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't think Tim wants to play. It's a sham of a game imo.

Obstructed_View
01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Pau Gasol would be the smart choice so as to not light a fire under the rest of the NBA's asses by selecting the obvious homer pick.

Fear the angry Gasol.

Spurs Brazil
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
This year, that coach is Gregg Popovich. It isn’t unreasonable that Popovich would allow the man most responsible for the team’s four championships to keep his All-Star streak alive, even by technicality.

Popovich, of course, hasn’t announced what he’ll do with the starting center slot. The roster hasn’t been finalized, and if there’s one thing Pop doesn’t do, it’s hypotheticals.

But, for those adept at reading between the lines, here’s Popovich’s answer to a question before Saturday’s game against Houston, framed in the context of “the end of Duncan’s All-Star starting streak:”

“Has the All-Star game taken place already? I didn’t know anything had ended or started at all.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/why-duncans-all-star-starter-streak-might-not-be-dead-after-all/

DMC
01-29-2011, 11:29 PM
I was under the impression that coaches could not vote for their own team.

DMC
01-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Fear the angry Gasol.

Pop and Tim will probably be gone in a couple of years (Pop is questionable but speculation and all that), so I am sure Pop couldn't care less which other team he pisses off.

duncan228
01-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I was under the impression that coaches could not vote for their own team.

They can't.

Once the Reserves are announced Stern will choose the injury replacement. Then Pop picks who starts for Yao because he's the West Coach.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Pop is more likely NOT to choose Tim so that he can get the extra rest. Pop couldn't care less about the All-Star game. ;)

Usually I don't care about the All-Star game either (they haven't been good since the 1990s), but if Griffin is in I'll watch it this year... and if he isn't it's a travesty.

duncan228
01-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Buck Harvey: As pillars go, Duncan will fit as an All-Star (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/buck-harvey-as-pillars-go-duncan-will-fit-as-an-all-star/)
Buck Harvey

Yao Ming didn’t play once again. Tim Duncan barely did.

Five Spurs scored more, and no one had more turnovers. And about halfway through the third quarter, Duncan did what the elderly do. He went to sleep early.

On an inbounds play, Houston’s miniature pivot man, Chuck Hayes, fooled Duncan at the rim. Gregg Popovich immediately called time, and, as Duncan passed him heading to the bench, Popovich had a few words for him.

Shane Battier watched all of this, and afterward the Rockets forward remained in awe. “He is one of the few pillars in this league,” Battier said.

So wait a few weeks, when Popovich names Duncan as the starting center in the All-Star Game.

And no one within the league complains.

All of this is guesswork, as well as premature. As Popovich said when questioned early Saturday evening, “I really think, the last time I looked, we were playing Houston tonight.”

Keep Reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/buck-harvey-as-pillars-go-duncan-will-fit-as-an-all-star/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/buck-harvey-as-pillars-go-duncan-will-fit-as-an-all-star/

duncan228
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Stats or wins? Duncan’s All-Star spot is at stake (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-all-star-duncan)
By Brian Mahoney

Tim Duncan’s championship credentials will someday mandate a spot in the Hall of Fame.

“He’s a pillar, one of the few pillars of this league,” Houston’s Shane Battier said.

One who is having a mediocre season statistically, the kind that would normally warrant a long weekend off next month.

Duncan barely cracks the top 20 in scoring among a stellar class of Western Conference forwards. So as coaches submit their ballots this week for All-Star reserves, they’ll have to look elsewhere if they choose to consider Duncan for a 13th straight appearance.

Perhaps away from Blake Griffin’s spectacular highlights. Away from Kevin Love’s point-rebound totals that belong in a video game.

They will have to go directly to San Antonio’s won-loss record.

Because at 40-7, it may be impossible to dismiss how much Duncan means to the Spurs—even in a year when he seems to mean less than ever.

“I haven’t looked at him specifically. … Those guys are 37-4 or something,” Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said last week. “You’ve got to take a strong look at that. That’s meaningful, that Duncan is on a team that’s winning every game. That’s a big deal, and it should be.”

Coaches routinely favor players from winning teams when making their selections, and the Spurs have been even more dominant than in any of their four championship seasons with Duncan. So the West coaches likely believe San Antonio should have multiple All-Stars, just as their East counterparts did in recent years with teams that won so much, sending four Detroit Pistons in 2006 and two Boston reserves to join starter Kevin Garnett in 2008.

Manu Ginobili is the Spurs’ best candidate, averaging 18.8 points. Tony Parker is next at 17.5 on 52 percent shooting, while Duncan’s average of 13.6 points is third on the team and only 20th best among West forwards who have played at least 30 games, according to STATS LLC.

That’s a career low, as are his 9.4 rebounds in only 29 minutes per game while the Spurs monitor the 14-year veteran’s minutes. Still good for most players, those statistics look even punier next to the nightly double-doubles of Griffin and Love, players Duncan has to compete with, along with perhaps players such as Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki, LaMarcus Aldridge of Portland, the Lakers’ Pau Gasol, or Zach Randolph of Memphis.

“It’s an interesting situation, because you’ve got the three young guys, with Aldridge and Love and this kid, Griffin. They’re all having great years,” Houston coach Rick Adelman said. “And then you’ve got the old standbys. Tim Duncan, whose team is the best in the league, but they’ve cut his minutes back. How are the coaches are going to vote? I don’t know. It’s going to be an interesting situation. There’s a lot of young blood and guys who are really playing like they deserve it.”

Duncan has been an All-Star 12 straight seasons, two shy of the all-time record, and made his 11th start last year. The fans went with Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony this year, but Duncan still has two possible routes to extend those totals.

The coaches must submit their votes to the league office by Tuesday afternoon, voting for two forwards, two guards, a center and two players regardless of position in their conference.

Duncan was listed on the fan ballot as a forward, mostly because of his longtime objection to being considered a center even though he mostly plays that position for the Spurs. But coaches are free to vote for him at either position, helping Duncan’s candidacy.

Should his name not be called when reserves are announced Thursday night, he still could end up in Los Angeles if Commissioner David Stern tabs him as the injury replacement for Yao Ming, who was voted the starting center by fans.

“I think Tim’s got a good shot. There’s a lot of good players out there, in all seriousness,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who will coach the West.

“We wouldn’t be in the position we’re in, record-wise, if Timmy wasn’t out there doing what he does night after night, and his consistency. So when I look across the board, I would hope he makes the All-Star team.”

Popovich can’t vote for his own players and doesn’t believe in lobbying coaches on behalf of players—not that Duncan would want the help.

“I’m not thinking about that right now,” he said. “I don’t have an opinion on whether I’m making the All-Star team or not.”

A respected veteran, Duncan’s reputation could be a tiebreaker for coaches who can’t decide between individual production or team success. Those weighing stats more heavily would agree with Charles Barkley, who left Duncan off his list of reserves after the starters were announced last Thursday on TNT.

While not talking specifically about Duncan, Barkley said: “This isn’t a lifetime achievement award. The award should go to guys who are having the best first half of the season.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-all-star-duncan