PDA

View Full Version : Wade's Dark Tinted Goggles Banned By NBA

Koolaid_Man
01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
:lmao Wade and Bron try so hard to be trendsetters but they fail every time...I mean every time...:lol

Wade's Dark Tinted Goggles Banned By NBA

Jan 28, 2011 02:36 AM EST

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Wade_Dwyane_mia_101213.jpg
Dwyane Wade has been wearing goggles to help alleviate migraines, but the pair he has worn in practice have been banned by the NBA for game use.
The NBA office checked Wade's goggles on Thursday and they determined that he would receive a competitive advantage by wearing them. The tint of the goggles were too dark where opponents would be unable to see his eyes.
Wade wore a pair of goggle in Miami's loss to the Knicks on Thursday that were similar to those worn by Amar'e Stoudemire.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210359/Wades_Dark_Tinted_Goggles_Banned_By_NBA

lefty
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Wasnt he wearing them because of migraines ????? :wtf

Anyway, I couldnt decide wether he looked like an underfed Horace Grant or a baller version of Akon

ChrisRichards
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
the nba has become a joke. wade is one of their best products, he deserves a fair treatment from the league. they saw how wade demolished the knicks with a corrected eye vision so they take it away.

stern really wants another celtics-lakers finals. pathetic.

lefty
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
The NBA office checked Wade's goggles on Thursday and they determined that he would receive a competitive advantage by wearing them. The tint of the goggles were too dark where opponents would be unable to see his eyes.

:lmao

anonoftheinternets
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
its not that funny.... i mean thats why a no look pass is effective ... most people do look where they are going to pass/drive ...

JamStone
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I hope they don't ban his cape when he starts wearing one for his shoe campaign.

Mark in Austin
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I hope they don't ban his cape when he starts wearing one for his shoe campaign.

:lol You know Dwight Howard already tried to wear one with the rest of his superhero costume errrr arm warmers...

Ashy Larry
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
the nba has become a joke. wade is one of their best products, he deserves a fair treatment from the league. they saw how wade demolished the knicks with a corrected eye vision so they take it away.

you've got to be kidding ...... lakers - heat would probably out draw lakers - celitcs and Wade has beach front property at the free throw line. lol @ fair treatment, get that shit outta here

MB1HosCVE1g

tqwqg4ooyHk

6lX_qMS9bRY

aySGUzzxjGE

rAm
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, is that what you couldn't decide?

:lol

Venti Quattro
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
What did the tinted goggles look like?

Blake
01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
The tint of the goggles were too dark where opponents would be unable to see his eyes.

if poker tourneys have no problem with it, then why does the nba?

Venti Quattro
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM

It gives an undue advantage in basketball or for most physical sports for that matter. You just sit and look at cards in poker. Nothing so hard there

Dex
01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

5gon47Xs0E8

You can kinda see the first pair he tries at the beginning of the vid, and it shows the second pair at the very end.

z0sa
01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
:lmao thinking what a person's eyes are doing during a game of poker has nothing to do with their hand.

Blake is 100% right if you want to make the most logical comparison.

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

you're going to compare poker to basketball??

:lmao

This is probably the first time in the history of my life that I've ever agreed with a Stern ruling...dark glasses would definitely give an advantage.

Borosai
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

http://www.zible.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/jake_glasses_sm.jpg

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to give my personal reaction, but..Wade, seriously?

Migraines??? Come on pussy, you're a professional basketball player. Not the fat, out of shape 9-year old intramural league basketball player with the overprotective and worrisome mother watching from the bleachers.

LMAO @ migraine goggles

dude1394
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Pretty shocking...diva usually gets all of the calls.

cobbler
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Except that the NBA banned the darker ones he was waering in practice and not the ones he eventually wore against tthe Knicks.

Darn... another Strern conspiricy theory foiled! :lol

cheguevara
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Did Wade get herpes in the eye this time?

ploto
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Migraines??? Come on pussy, you're a professional basketball player. Not the fat, out of shape 9-year old intramural league basketball player with the overprotective and worrisome mother watching from the bleachers.

LMAO @ migraine goggles

I am guessing you have never had a migraine- one where the sensitivity to light is extremely painful.

Blake
01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
you're going to compare poker to basketball??

in this case, yah.

It's a stupid ruling by Stern, imo.

JamStone
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM

http://upgifting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/h/the-flash-mask.png

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM

:lol I expect better from you Blake.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Look, the obvious point is that, if they DID confer a competitive advantage, more people would start wearing them. And Stern doesn't want half his superstars wearing dark goggles/glasses.

Why not say "Hey football has no problem with helmets... What's the big deal with using them in the NBA?" :lol

z0sa
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
:lol I expect better from you Blake.

It's not an invalid comparison. Would you argue against seeing a pro Blackjack player's eyes as having usefulness, perhaps even an immense amount?

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
It's not an invalid comparison. Would you argue against seeing a pro Blackjack player's eyes as having usefulness, perhaps even an immense amount?

Sure is. I don't see what that does to prove your point though. Stern himself said it provided an advantage. That says nothing in regards to whether or not they should be allowed.

j.dizzle
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
:lol Atleast Wade has an excuse to miss more games when he has a headache, that dude is fragile.

z0sa
01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Sure is. I don't see what that does to prove your point though. Stern himself said it provided an advantage. That says nothing in regards to whether or not they should be allowed.

Just because "Stern himself" says something, doesn't mean the basketball gods "themselves" came down and said it.

Second, it definitely says something in regards to the advantages. Poker is all about reading players. Eyes are extremely telling, especially the sizes of the pupils at any given time. Many pros wear sunglasses because of this.

YET there are many who do not. Controlling your emotions in general is much bigger of an issue than simply wearing sunglasses can cover. So the advantage is actually only there for the already disadvantaged - the ones unable to act.

Same concept applies in basketball. The defenders getting passed over and around aren't being made fools of because they can't see their assignments' eyes. Additionally, how often can a defender stop a direct pass anyway? If an NBA player sees an opportunity to pass and has the willingness, the vast majority of the time, he will be successful. And this is D fucking Wade we're talking.

Why not say "Hey football has no problem with helmets... What's the big deal with using them in the NBA?"

That analogy does not work. DWade isn't wearing something to defend his head from concussive force.

Jt.ONE
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
http://oi51.tinypic.com/wir47o.jpg

Leftyventricle
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XpIZfre1Jek/So2NDlJZ-TI/AAAAAAAAAWw/I5DzqZsirps/s320/Willy.Wonka.Johnny.Depp.tv.jpg

lefty
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XpIZfre1Jek/So2NDlJZ-TI/AAAAAAAAAWw/I5DzqZsirps/s320/Willy.Wonka.Johnny.Depp.tv.jpg

Vujacic didnt get the memo

Blake
01-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Look, the obvious point is that, if they DID confer a competitive advantage, more people would start wearing them. And Stern doesn't want half his superstars wearing dark goggles/glasses.

Why not say "Hey football has no problem with helmets... What's the big deal with using them in the NBA?" :lol

Let all the players wear the glasses if they want.

I really see no problem with it.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Just because "Stern himself" says something, doesn't mean the basketball gods "themselves" came down and said it.

Then make a decent argument for it. I'm all ears. Saying "because they allow it in one sport, they should allow it in this sport" is not a good argument.

Same concept applies in basketball. The defenders getting passed over and around aren't being made fools of because they can't see their assignments' eyes. Additionally, how often can a defender stop a direct pass anyway? If an NBA player sees an opportunity to pass and has the willingness, the vast majority of the time, he will be successful. And this is D fucking Wade we're talking.

So is it an advantage or not? In one breath you argue that it is an advantage, in the next you discount the advantage. Which is it?

That analogy does not work. DWade isn't wearing something to defend his head from concussive force.

It's as valid as the "they use them in poker" argument.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Let all the players wear the glasses if they want.

I really see no problem with it.

Fair enough. I'm guessing that Stern doesn't want half the league wearing those darker glasses. (Obvious hyperbole, but if it did confer an advantage, more would probably wear them.)

I mean, you're talking about a guy who imposed a dress code for his players. He's kinda finnicky about that.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
it's not an invalid comparison, shades are actually MORE beneficial in poker than they would be in basketball

It's invalid in the way they're making it. Whether or not they're beneficial isn't really being argued much. It's whether or not the players should be allowed any potential benefit.

z0sa
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Then make a decent argument for it. I'm all ears. Saying "because they allow it in one sport, they should allow it in this sport" is not a good argument.

:rolleyes Health reasons needs an argument behind it? You've overlooked the argument in your demand that I make one.

So is it an advantage or not? In one breath you argue that it is an advantage, in the next you discount the advantage. Which is it?

I never said whether it was an advantage (it's clearly not, if you want my opinion front and center). I argued that it's trivial and essentially does not affect the game; even if there is some slight advantage, it's so minute as to be ignorable. In poker, having glasses on makes a huge difference in the actual flow of the game, much more than in basketball.

It's as valid as the "they use them in poker" argument.

Is Wade wearing protective head gear to lighten concussive tackling force, or using sunglasses to hide his eyes? The answer is neither, technically. Yet the one that makes for a much more apt comparison is ...? Like I said, is the parallel between helmets or sunshades?

FkLA
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
i dont see how people can be against the ruling, stern is a dumbass...but he's a dumbass that happens to be right this timee tbh

althought probably not the best approach for playing D, following eye movement is still pretty common even in the nba...not being able to see them would definitely provide some advantage for the offensive player.

z0sa
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
FWIW, Wade's eyes seem visible just fine through the shades. Perhaps in split second timing, it might affect things, but I'm not seeing any compelling arguments against the shades, or any at all other than a generic Stern regurgitation.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
splitting hairs. even certain shoes are considered definite considerable advantages over others to anyone who's played basketball before. should all players have to wear the exact same shoe?

I agree that some shoes may be considered to have advantages over other shoes. The league as a whole has decided to allow these. Of course, if a shoe came out with a trampoline in the bottom of it, they probably wouldn't allow those.

As I said, the argument is whether or not the players should be allowed to benefit from darker-tinted glasses. In the case of sneakers, the league has decided to allow various types. (I'm sure marketing plays a big deal in that.) So far, the league has said "No" to darker glasses.

If you guys think that they should allow it, ok then. It's really a personal preference, I think. I'm just saying that the league gets to decide what uniform rules they endorse, and saying that it should be ok because another sport allows it is a logical fallacy.

FkLA
01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
FWIW, Wade's eyes seem visible just fine through the shades. Perhaps in split second timing, it might affect things, but I'm not seeing any compelling arguments against the shades, or any at all other than a generic Stern regurgitation.

the ones he wore yesterday vs the knicks arent the issue, the ones he was using prior to those are...i didnt see him play with the other ones but im assuming those werent visible were they ??

Muser
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but I don't look into the eyes of the guy i'm guarding.

DMC
01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Heat don't have that many fans. Lakers NY would be the biggest hit of all, because of the markets. It's not as much about the players as you think, which is why the ratings were low for Cavs/Spurs Finals but about 2 times that for Spurs/Knicks Finals.

The Reckoning
01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
obviously what he wore was fine because he didnt have migraines so its all good

DMC
01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
It's not like Wade passes, so who cares who he's looking at when he shoots?

/thread

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Is Wade wearing protective head gear to lighten concussive tackling force, or using sunglasses to hide his eyes? The answer is neither, technically. Yet the one that makes for a much more apt comparison is ...? Like I said, is the parallel between helmets or sunshades?

Are all sunglasses legal items to wear during an NBA game?

If there is a valid health reason behind it (ie helps migraine sufferers) then I don't see why Stern wouldn't allow it.

Of course, Stern DID allow tinted glasses, just not tinted enough to hide ones eyes. Is the darker tint necessary? Would it help with his migraines to a much greater degree?

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not completely sure what to think of it, but I can definitely say that a great pair of shoes is a much much bigger advantage than partially concealing your eyeballs. If you're going to ban it under the idea that the playing field should be level, then you have other issues to address as well by your own reasoning.

I don't care personally, though I think it'd look stupid if half the players were wearing them.

I was just opposed to the asinine poker analogy.

Hemotivo
01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
poker sucks
its not even a sport

LkrFan
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Did Wade get herpes in the eye this time?

ChrisRichards
01-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but I don't look into the eyes of the guy i'm guarding.

QFT. That's gay IMO.

Blake
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM

pretty much.

I've also never heard a coach yell "keep your eye on the eyes".

Blake
01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm just saying that the league gets to decide what uniform rules they endorse, and saying that it should be ok because another sport allows it is a logical fallacy.

It should be ok because it's a private entity that gets to make whatever rules they want.

I think though that it's a ridiculous rule. There are other sports (and poker) where it's even more of an advantage to hide the eyes, and shielding is allowed.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/09/large_michael_vick_added_roster.jpg

LnGrrrR
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I think though that it's a ridiculous rule. There are other sports (and poker) where it's even more of an advantage to hide the eyes, and shielding is allowed.

Understandable. I just think Stern doesn't want to have half the NBA players wearing shades of various colors.

And speaking of the NFL, they changed the ruling on visors, IIRC. You have to have a medical waiver to wear one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/10/AR2005111001520.html

League sources said late yesterday that Portis, who paid $15,000 in similar fines last season (as did Taylor), was fined this week for using an unauthorized tinted eye shield, not wearing white socks and using black shoes for the second time this season. Taylor wore white socks with burgundy and gold in the pattern that apparently were not up to league specifications. Decisions on the fines came down after players had left Redskins Park for the day.

TIMMYD!
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I am guessing you have never had a migraine- one where the sensitivity to light is extremely painful.

This. I get migraines regularly and they are a BITCH to deal with. You become sensitive to every little light or noise and can't even think straight.

Booharv
01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to give my personal reaction, but..Wade, seriously?

LMAO @ migraine goggles

omg is this a troll post? Migraines can be excruciating. Terrell Davis sat out a quarter of a Super Bowl game with one. Some of the most intense pain known to man.

/thread

Wade's one of the best passers among perimeter players in the league. What the Hell are you talking about. Jesus Christ...

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Understandable. I just think Stern doesn't want to have half the NBA players wearing shades of various colors.

And speaking of the NFL, they changed the ruling on visors, IIRC. You have to have a medical waiver to wear one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/10/AR2005111001520.html

:tu

NBA players these days love to wear useless ass shit. You got all the dudes that wear arm sleeves, which are completely useless, unless for the 1% of said players that wear them with cushioning near the elbow due to an elbow injury.

You even have leg sleeves. I'm not sure why.

And then you have Lebron and maybe Wade as well who I've seen wear one of those underarmour-type tanks with padding all across the chest..as if either of those monsters need pads for their chest. Or anyone, because it's fucking basketball. Why isn't Tayshaun wearing football shoulder pads?

Fuckin clowns man

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
migraines are for pussies

If you can't handle it, sit your ass out

BanditHiro
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
stupid ruling...the only player that defended while looking deeply into his opponents eyes was John Amaechi

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fRaVsDPgk3A/Siu3sqAPRzI/AAAAAAAAAo0/lTdNlFp_4tQ/S254/Johny+Amaechi.jpg

Ace
01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Lol @ thread

Ace
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Why would he do that when problem was solved? By your logic if you have a headache then you shouldn't take medicine or you're a pussy. I know hating Lebron and Wade is the cool thing to do but atleast be logical.

ginobili's bald spot
01-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Just FYI many poker players are anti sunglasses and they aren't allowed at certain casinos and tournaments. Not that it matters though because the comparison was dumb to begin with.

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 07:29 PM
It should be ok because it's a private entity that gets to make whatever rules they want.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/09/large_michael_vick_added_roster.jpg

Again, since you keep bringing up poker... It's POKER. It is a card game.

Games like poker, chess, checkers, jenga, twister, monopoly, go fish, scrabble, connect four, and all of the other board/card games don't have dress codes, it doesn't matter if you're drunk or if you're wearing a roller blade on one foot and a snow boot on the other, or if you take steroids.... the list goes on with things you can do in CARD/BOARD games compared to sports. Sure you have poker on the professional level, which we are speaking about, but it's still poker in the end and the game has it's own culture/traditions...and included in said culture is the acceptability for people to where shades when playing.

Stop comparing the NBA or the NFL to poker, because it's retarded.

You can't wear brass knuckles in football because you could seriously injure people. Assuming they were legal to own where you are for the sake of comparing, I don't think they would be a problem in poker, or in scrabble.

Zelophehad
01-28-2011, 07:31 PM

/thread

Lolololol this dude wears his ignorance as a badge. Such a stupid statement.

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Why would he do that when problem was solved? By your logic if you have a headache then you shouldn't take medicine or you're a pussy. I know hating Lebron and Wade is the cool thing to do but atleast be logical.

lol to be honest I actually knew that was not very logical when I posted it, it was a very trollish post, but I actually am relatively big fans of both Wade & Lebron. Their playing ability at least, I'm a big fan, I do have that $17.41 lowered price Lebron fathead on my wall right in front of me.

I just think it's getting ridiculous with the way many NBA players wear a lot of retarded shit. If Stern weren't there to stop the trend (although I hate every other action taken by Stern), pretty soon..well, there's really no telling how stupid some of the guys might look.

This is all you need:

http://cullenallen.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834ba7d7b69e2010536b4d1c9970b-500wi

what the hell is this?:

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/AllenIverson_600_060225.jpg

Blake
01-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Again, since you keep bringing up poker... It's POKER. It is a card game.

Games like poker, chess, checkers, jenga, twister, monopoly, go fish, scrabble, connect four, and all of the other board/card games don't have dress codes, it doesn't matter if you're drunk or if you're wearing a roller blade on one foot and a snow boot on the other, or if you take steroids.... the list goes on with things you can do in CARD/BOARD games compared to sports. Sure you have poker on the professional level, which we are speaking about, but it's still poker in the end and the game has it's own culture/traditions...and included in said culture is the acceptability for people to where shades when playing.

are you drunk or on steroids right now?

Stop comparing the NBA or the NFL to poker, because it's retarded.

Nah, I agree with others that agree that it's not an invalid comparison so I will continue to compare them.

You can't wear brass knuckles in football because you could seriously injure people. Assuming they were legal to own where you are for the sake of comparing, I don't think they would be a problem in poker, or in scrabble.

Stop comparing brass knuckles to tinted glasses because it's very retarded.

Blake
01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I just think it's getting ridiculous with the way many NBA players wear a lot of retarded shit.

This is all you need:

http://cullenallen.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834ba7d7b69e2010536b4d1c9970b-500wi

what the hell is this?:

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/AllenIverson_600_060225.jpg

so you like to see men wearing as little clothing as possible.

I understand now.

ALVAREZ6
01-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Blake is funny: Fact

ALVAREZ6
01-29-2011, 02:56 AM