PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers should change their name.

21_Dickings
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Yep, I said it.

Why?

Southern California isn't exactly known as being a "land of lakes," like Minnesota is, so having a Los Angeles based team named "The Lakers" makes about as much sense as a professional basketball team located in Utah (white boy Mormon country) named the Jazz. "Laker" simply doesn't capture what Los Angeles is all about. The term implies someone who is into fishing, and the type of people who are into fishing are usually fat rednecks, like Spurs and Mavs fans.

Now I ask you, fellow Purple 'n Gold fans, do we really want to be associated with an activity that's popular with gluttonous slobs?

Some of you might think I'm trying to trash the Lakers prestigious history, but I assure you, that's not the case. Changing the name doesn't tarnish our 16 titles, the pantheon of hall of fame players who once called LA home, or the jersey Kobe Bryant wears. Plus, we live in freakin' LA. We set the trends that all the wildebeast in fly over country follow, so for us to change our name to something more representative of our top shelf LA lifestyle would likely be met with praise instead of scorn. However, I say we keep the colors. Purple 'n Gold is mighty sexy.

That said, what should we change it to?

Personally, I like the "Box Office." Our logo would be a gold ticket with "Box Office" in purple lettering across the face of the ticket. Fuckin' choice. It also perfectly captures what we're all about. We're the biggest draw in the league, the biggest star in the world plays for us, we got the best looking fans, and people from all over the world and all walks of life want to take part in the Purple 'n Gold experience, much like they do when a big movie hits the theaters. And just like a worldwide hit movie, the Purple 'n Gold break down cultural, language, and racial barriers, uniting people in a shared experience that can only be described as transcendent.

Lakers was a name that served us well for many years, but in the post-modern world we now live in, it simply no longer fits.

(I also like the LA "Blockbuster.")

Zelophehad
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
:lol

The Reckoning
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
blockbuster is the lamest name ive ever heard. cocksucker would be more relevant.

Mugen
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Living in SoCal, i'd say the LA Vietnamese is much more accurate.

Machine would def agree, tbh.

ChrisRichards
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
LA Chulo Papi's.

clambake
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
the la looters

The Gemini Method
01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Why would they change it to the L.A. Vietnamese? The biggest population of the Viets are in Orange County aka Little Saigon aka Westminster and Garden Grove. Not L.A. proper...should be the L.A. Manaschevitz to be honest...

Mugen
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
hmm true but thats bc i live in OC. Fine then i'll go with the LA Armenians.

The Gemini Method
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
hmm true but thats bc i live in OC. Fine then i'll go with the LA Armenians.

That is probably a better indicator of the demographic of the Lakers. I would've went with L.A. Gunz, but that wouldn't fly since the Bullets changed their name under Abe Polian...

Bito Corleone
01-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Personally, I like the "Box Office." Our logo would be a gold ticket with "Box Office" in purple lettering across the face of the ticket.

That was probably the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life...until I read this:

I also like the LA "Blockbuster."

Giuseppe
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
The L.A. Rapists woulda worked, but, then Pop shit where he eats.

TheMACHINE
01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Living in SoCal, i'd say the LA Vietnamese is much more accurate.

Machine would def agree, tbh.

i do like Pho. yum!

Maybe LA Pho-kers?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
If you should choose by what the city is known, may I suggest

The Los Angeles bleached-fake tanned-boob job-prima donnas-STD infected-Crack Whores

Seventyniner
01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Definitely should have been the Los Angeles Stars right when they moved from Minneapolis.

Do it anyway, screw that Dallas NHL team. And change the WNBA team's name while you're at it.

Mugen
01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
i do like Pho. yum!

Maybe LA Pho-kers?

:toast

/thread.

The Gemini Method
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Pho is the business...as long as you don't go to a place that uses the MSG in their broth...

The cafe su da places that serve you nearly topless with well-enhanced Viet chicks isn't all that shabby either...

Otaku
01-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, they should be the LOLkers

kamikazi_player
01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Why would they change it to the L.A. Vietnamese? The biggest population of the Viets are in Orange County aka Little Saigon aka Westminster and Garden Grove. Not L.A. proper...should be the L.A. Manaschevitz to be honest...
Most of them are in the San Jose area. They dominate that area bar none.

I thought Filipino's dominated the L.A. area, why are you guys talking about Viets?

The Reckoning
01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
i do like Pho. yum!

Maybe LA Pho-kers?

i went to a pho restaurant last night and suggested they should change it to "phox"

they didnt think it was very funny

Mugen
01-28-2011, 06:50 PM

I thought Filipino's dominated the L.A. area, why are you guys talking about Viets?

i dont talk shitz on my own.

it's my religion.

The Gemini Method
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Most of the Filipinos that I know are from Carson, Long Beach, or from the Bay Area. I don't know too many from L.A. per se--but Carson and Long Beach are both L.A. County cities...

Stances
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
L.A. Bean Dips.

poop
01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
LA Wiggers

ezau
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Los Angeles Beaners

ezau
01-28-2011, 08:56 PM

So it should be Los Angeles Dog Eaters then.

easy7
01-28-2011, 09:27 PM
If you think about it, purple and gold is kind of fagish, I just can't see someone wearing those colors striking the fear of God in someone's heart, so why not the LA Fags, that way the people from San Fran can have your back...literally.

lefty
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
It would have to rhyme with a bodypart

No Mulva won't work

Darth_Pelican
01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Los Angeles Fighting Doberman Pinscher Genitalias

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8IGfoxzasD4/0.jpg

Venti Quattro
01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Classic midnightpulp thread.

ELE bet huh? Tee hee

DMC
01-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Judging by the large majority of fans here and elsewhere, I would say the L.A Kobe (plural not required). In fact, fuck the city, just Kobe Kobe, or to be more precise, the Kobe.

"Who's your favorite team?"

K0b3xox: Kobe

"Really, favorite player?"

K0b3xox: Kobe

Orlando did it with Magic Johnson, might as well do it with Kobe.