PDA

View Full Version : A decade remembered

RandomGuy
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
A note of warning: Some of these are fairly graphic, and some are simply emotionally hard to look at. All are good pictures that capture some very human moments, good, evil, banal. NSFW

http://totallycoolpix.com/2010/12/best-pictures-of-the-decade-the-noughties/#more-357

Tip of the hat to boutons, who pointed me to the website. The pictures are really spectacular.

desflood
01-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Next time my kid throws a fit about eating vegetables I'm going to show him the burned Iraqi boy with no arms and tell him to shut the hell up.

balli
01-28-2011, 11:56 PM
I'll check it out in one second, but first I wanna say: It seemed like we met 2011 with very little fanfare in regards to the decade ending in 2010. Very little media focus on New Years as anything other than a new year, as opposed to the start of a new decade.

I've spent some time reflecting on this and pretty much concluded that we're so collectively ashamed as a species, for how badly we managed to fuck up the first decade of the new millennium, that we didn't even even think about (much less talk about) the years 2000-2010 in any type of longitudinal way. To have done so would have been so foreboding, sickening and struck so deeply at the secret and embarrassed parts of our collective unconscious, that we pretty much, collectively, didn't give the decade any consideration as being such.

Now I'll check out the link.

The Reckoning
01-29-2011, 12:07 AM
somebody has to photoshop the 3D glasses picture. theres so much material there.

:lmao at the bush turkey photo. that takes the cake.

DarrinS
01-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I'll check it out in one second, but first I wanna say: It seemed like we met 2011 with very little fanfare in regards to the decade ending in 2010. Very little media focus on New Years as anything other than a new year, as opposed to the start of a new decade.

I've spent some time reflecting on this and pretty much concluded that we're so collectively ashamed as a species, for how badly we managed to fuck up the first decade of the new millennium, that we didn't even even think about (much less talk about) the years 2000-2010 in any type of longitudinal way. To have done so would have been so foreboding, sickening and struck so deeply at the secret and embarrassed parts of our collective unconscious, that we pretty much, collectively, didn't give the decade any consideration as being such.

Now I'll check out the link.

:dramaquee

balli
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
:dramaquee

Especially because of people like you.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
01-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Wow! Some pretty amazing pictures there. But most of them are just terribly sad...

http://totallycoolpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/16122010_best_of_the_decade/decade_35.jpg

Fooking awesome wallpaper material

http://totallycoolpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/16122010_best_of_the_decade/decade_127.jpg

Lol

Stringer_Bell
01-29-2011, 09:22 AM
It just occured to me how hopeless a situation like 9/11 would have been to stop. If you got transported to the morning of 9/11 and tried to explain to someone the who/what/when/why...they'd call you crazy, probably send you to Guantanamo eventually, and you'd have to relive the whole thing over again and see all the destruction and confusion around the world that it caused because of the ensuing wars. :(

boutons_deux
01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
"hopeless a situation like 9/11 would have been to stop"

Read the 9/11 report, as crippled as it was by dickhead.

There were many warnings for months, and there were many defensive actions that could have been taken local, state, federal levels, but the background was the total lack of seriousness towards terrorism by the Repug WH, and they were all too busy expecting their huge windfalls from the "most unfair tax cuts of all time" they had just rammed through with Senate reconciliation.

Stringer_Bell
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
"hopeless a situation like 9/11 would have been to stop"

Read the 9/11 report, as crippled as it was by dickhead.

There were many warnings for months, and there were many defensive actions that could have been taken local, state, federal levels, but the background was the total lack of seriousness towards terrorism by the Repug WH, and they were all too busy expecting their huge windfalls from the "most unfair tax cuts of all time" they had just rammed through with Senate reconciliation.

I wasn't talking about the government's ability to stop it, I was saying that if you (a regular person) woke up on 9/11 knowing what was going to happen, could you really have stopped it? I don't think so, just too many factors against people acting quickly enough and you'd prolly end up getting water boarded for your attempts to help alert authorities. :(