PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal maybe out tonight?

yavozerb
01-29-2011, 09:55 AM
By Tim Griffin
[email protected]

Spurs forward Matt Bonner will miss today’s game against Houston as he continues to recover from a bone bruise on his right knee.

After Friday’s practice, it is undetermined if rookie guard Gary Neal will play against the Rockets. Neal sustained an injury to his rear end and his left knee late in the Spurs’ victory at Utah Wednesday night.

Both Manu Ginobili and assistant coach Don Newman mentioned Neal’s injury in their postgame comments on the Spurs Radio Network and Neal was icing his knee on the bench late in the Spurs’ victory.

“It’s always a big thing to stay healthy, and now we are starting to have some,” Ginobili said Friday. “First Matt, now Gary Neal, who couldn’t play the second half (in Utah). Not big ones, but it’s going to happen in 82 games.”

Neal practiced Friday, but had a brace on his left knee. He did not appear to be hobbling as he went through his final drills when reporters were present.

Blair on Duncan: Spurs center DeJuan Blair said he was a little surprised that Tim Duncan didn’t make the Western Division’s All-Star team when starters were announced Thursday night.

It will mark the first time that Duncan wasn’t picked to start in the All-Star Game, although he could be a starter if NBA commissioner David Stern selects him to replace injured Houston center Yao Ming.

Blair said that Duncan really isn’t concerned about seeing his streak end.

“I don’t think he really wants to go,” Blair said, laughing. “He’s been there and he’s a Hall of Famer. I don’t think that matters to him.”

The Spurs became the first team in league history with 10 or fewer losses at the time the starters are announced without at least one starting player.

Manu’s rodeo dreams: During his nine-season career with the Spurs, Ginobili has become a certifiable Texan.

But Ginobili hasn’t fulfilled one item on his personal bucket list: the chance to visit the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.

“Everybody loves it and I have never been a part of it or had the opportunity to go,” Ginobili said. “I’m waiting for my kids to get a little bigger and retire, probably, because otherwise I will always be on the road.”

But Ginobili is able to experience one part of the event during the Spurs’ first game back in the AT&T Center after the rodeo closes.

“That first day in the arena, there is a very thick aroma hitting us when we get there,” Ginobili said, chuckling.

Winning in Arlington big for Blair: The Pittsburgh Steelers are DeJuan Blair’s favorite team. The Spurs center is especially excited about the Steelers’ chances of winning Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium in the home of one of their biggest traditional rivals.

“Don’t be mad at me because that’s just how I feel,” Blair said. “I love their stadium. I was there for the (NBA) All-Star game last year. It’s huge. And there will be a lot of black and yellow in there. Pittsburgh is taking over Texas.”

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Not good. And James Anderson still gone? :(

Cane
01-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Time for the medicine woman's son to get some minutes tonight.

Did Neal get hurt when he basically rolled on his neck backwards? I think it was the second time this season that he took an awkward fall like that.

PublicOption
01-29-2011, 10:39 AM
stern will pick him. cuz he doesn't want to see tim get any more rest than he is already getting.

Seventyniner
01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
That's why the Jazz came back in the 4th: Neal wasn't there to do a solo 10-0 run.

Mel_13
01-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Matt Bonner (sore right knee) set to miss 7th straight game tonight vs. HOU. Gary Neal (sore left knee) is considered probable.

http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN

tdunk21
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
this is where anderson would have been helpful......

boutons_deux
01-29-2011, 12:51 PM
knee bruises easily, reliably avoided with knee pads. Not elegant, but drop the vanity, and stay in the games.

ChuckD
01-29-2011, 12:52 PM
The good thing about Neal is that his game is played close to the floor. He either takes the jumper, or if you run him off the line, he'll take it off the bounce and whip out that "junky" mid range game, either pulling up for a shorter J, taking it into the paint for the runner, or banking it. Nothing in his game requires overt athleticism on the NBA scale.

SenorSpur
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM
this is where anderson would have been helpful......

Very helpful.

Perhaps we'll see a lot of Larry Owens.

in2deep
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Time for the medicine woman's son to get some minutes tonight.

Did Neal get hurt when he basically rolled on his neck backwards? I think it was the second time this season that he took an awkward fall like that.

I think that was it. and he was called for the foul LOL

DesignatedT
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
If he sits out then George is going to have to have a great game tonight... no excuses.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Larry Owens time!

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
we so thin on the wing and backcourt we dont need another player takin rests

jestersmash
01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm actually not a fan of seeing more minutes for Larry Owens. The guy looked and moved like he was scared shitless during his limited minutes. Granted, he did make a shot or two.

Chris Quinn, on the other hand, moved in a confident, conservative way on the court the minute he stepped on. I have no problem giving a "filler" like Quinn more minutes.

I'd prefer to see more George Hill and Chris Quinn to make up for Neal's absence if the game is somewhat close. If it's a blowout or it's garbage time, I don't mind LO.

ChuckD
01-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm actually not a fan of seeing more minutes for Larry Owens. The guy looked and moved like he was scared shitless during his limited minutes. Granted, he did make a shot or two.

Chris Quinn, on the other hand, moved in a confident, conservative way on the court the minute he stepped on. I have no problem giving a "filler" like Quinn more minutes.

I'd prefer to see more George Hill and Chris Quinn to make up for Neal's absence if the game is somewhat close. If it's a blowout or it's garbage time, I don't mind LO.

I'd be more of a Quinn fan if he shot the way he had at every other stop he's made in the NBA. I feel the same way about him shooting as I did about Bowen putting the ball on the floor: I cringe when it happens.

crc21209
01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Crap come on...we're starting to drop like flies now...Anderson, Bonner, and now Neal. Although it sounds like Neal is going to play...we need all of these guys back ASAP.

jestersmash
01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
I'd be more of a Quinn fan if he shot the way he had at every other stop he's made in the NBA. I feel the same way about him shooting as I did about Bowen putting the ball on the floor: I cringe when it happens.

Agreed. I have my fair share of criticisms about Quinn, but one thing I respect about his game is that he's conservative...really fucking conservative.

Though, sometimes he's a bit too conservative, even for a "filler."

How many times have you seen the following sequence - Quinn takes the ball up top and asks for a screen. He uses the screen and penetrates, barely, and then what does he do? Without fail, he'll pass the ball around the perimeter. Always around the fucking perimeter. Always. He doesn't seem to read the opposing team defense. It's automatic for him. He'll never look to pass the ball to the screener on a screen & roll. Most of the time the person who receives the catch from Quinn receives it with heavy coverage, naturally, because Quinn didn't manage to move opposing team bodies around in a meaningful way.

On the bright side, this sort of rabid conservatism usually translates to shooting as well. I completely agree - I cringe when he shoots the ball, but thankfully he seems to really embrace the fact that he should be taking no more than 2 or 3 shots per game, if even that.

duncan228
01-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Neal likely to play tonight against Houston (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/neal-likely-to-play-tonight-against-houston/)
Tim Griffin

...Neal worked out at the team’s Saturday morning shootaround practice and will try to play against the Rockets, team officials said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/29/neal-likely-to-play-tonight-against-houston/

Eddy from Austin
01-29-2011, 02:43 PM
The Spurs became the first team in league history with 10 or fewer losses at the time the starters are announced without at least one starting player.

Check that out! :wow

Darkwaters
01-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Crap come on...we're starting to drop like flies now...Anderson, Bonner, and now Neal. Although it sounds like Neal is going to play...we need all of these guys back ASAP.

Anderson is pretty close to getting back. Neal is probable for tonight...so not a huge concern. Duncan returned the same night as his injury. Bonner's injury didn't seem too worrisome at first and I honestly think it's weird that hes still out. The team is probably just being overly protective honestly.

ChuckD
01-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Anderson is pretty close to getting back. Neal is probable for tonight...so not a huge concern. Duncan returned the same night as his injury. Bonner's injury didn't seem too worrisome at first and I honestly think it's weird that hes still out. The team is probably just being overly protective honestly.

Anderson didn't play for the Toros today, which likely means he's done with his rehab stint. Take from that what you will about tonight's game. :smokin

Darkwaters
01-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Anderson didn't play for the Toros today, which likely means he's done with his rehab stint. Take from that what you will about tonight's game. :smokin

Ooooh, hadn't heard that yet. Nice find. I really thought he'd play a full 4 games with them. Oh well, I'll be glad if he come back.