PDA

View Full Version : What do you think

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Express Lube is looking to advertise. So far we've looked at radio spots for Spurs game pre/post, 15 sec traffic sponsorships on WOAI, variety of advertisements on WOAI.com, radio spots on KTSA 550. Also looked at advertising packages on TW and Fox 29. Currently we are advertising with SSE.

What do y'all think would be the most effective?

monosylab1k
01-29-2011, 10:12 AM
print your logo onto novelty condoms.

Frenzy
01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Hire hot chicks to wear shirts with your company name on the front. Have "we got lube" on the back.

Spurs games, but any sports events would be good.

The Reckoning
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
and let those hot chicks go up to cars at traffic stops and wash their windows with their big ol' titties

PM5K
01-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Put your face on a urinal cakes.

Then when people see you at the grocery store and say "Hey you look familiar" you can say "Yeah I"m remingtonbo2001 you pissed on my face, and I lubed your rear axle"

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
print your logo onto novelty condoms.

Good. Safety is very important.

4>0rings
01-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Ticket 760... 5:30 or 7:30-8. Hits everyone going to or coming home from work in their car... you remind them to change their oil. Ticket has a pretty big following.

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Ticket 760... 5:30 or 7:30-8. Hits everyone going to or coming home from work in their car... you remind them to change their oil. Ticket has a pretty big following.

We've advertised with The Grind before, last year I believe. One drawback of advertising on the Ticket, or the Zone for that matter, is the ratio of men to women. I believe the Zone reported an audience of 97.5% men. I'm sure the Ticket's demographic is similar.

That being said, 5-8 would be an ideal time for us to advertise.

PM5K
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Men don't get their oil changed? I know a lot of men and I'm one of the few that does it myself.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Um, I think you should seek advise from an actual professional and not from Spurstalk.

Bukefal
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Hire hot chicks to wear shirts with your company name on the front. Have "we got lube" on the back.

Spurs games, but any sports events would be good.

:lol :tu

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Um, I think you should seek advise from an actual professional and not from Spurstalk.

I have the necessary statistics. I wanted the opinions of those on ST. Considering all rings such as demographics, reach, cost, and effectiveness,I think AM radio would be more effective than cable (not considering Spurs games).

Blake
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
airplane banners

Das Texan
01-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Your target demographic is going to be very crucial in determining what form of marketing you want to use

Das Texan
01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
And this applies to all places like Express Lube, I wish you fuckers would advertise your god damn prices online for your services. Makes me have to actually make a phone call to see who wants to rip me off the most on any given day.

mouse
01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Advertising is a strong tool in any successfully project.

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
And this applies to all places like Express Lube, I wish you fuckers would advertise your god damn prices online for your services. Makes me have to actually make a phone call to see who wants to rip me off the most on any given day.

Veronica mentioned that would be a good idea. We're looking into making some changes to our website. I'll look into it.

ashbeeigh
01-30-2011, 12:00 AM
I think the traffic spots would be good on FM radio too. I flip to different radio stations during the 30s to see their traffic reports when I'm driving from my home visits. And emphasize the speed of your service. While I complain about the trouble that was caused from the one time I did go to an Express Lube I got in an out quickly whereas the Meineke place takes freaking forever.

marini martini
01-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Send out e-mails like DTW!:tu

IronMexican
01-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Upload all your photos to blingee and add the lube shop on the photo.

CuckingFunt
01-30-2011, 02:25 AM

This goes for everyone. The Club has turned into fucking Google.

redzero
01-30-2011, 02:46 AM
As an advertising exec of a Fortune 500 company, I think you should buy some ad space on websites that have heavy traffic from Texas. Maybe put some fine honeys on some blinking banners that say "Congratulations, you are the 1,000,000th visitor this month. Click here to collect your prize." The link should redirect to a blank website that automatically downloads adware advertising Express Lube onto the mark's computer.

Follow my directions and watch the money flow in.

fantasyfootball
01-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Express Lube is looking to advertise. So far we've looked at radio spots for Spurs game pre/post, 15 sec traffic sponsorships on WOAI, variety of advertisements on WOAI.com, radio spots on KTSA 550. Also looked at advertising packages on TW and Fox 29. Currently we are advertising with SSE.

What do y'all think would be the most effective?

I can't imagine any of that converting at a respectable rate. What you're doing with that type of advertising is getting brand recognition but you're not getting cold hard sales (I'm talking cash registers CA-CHINGING). I'm not sure how much money Express Lube has but I'd get out of the general brand advertising racket.

Instead of thinking like a traditional advertiser, think like a person that is in need of an oil change. Personally, I never even think about who I'm taking my car to until it's time. Usually the first place that I find a decent coupon for that is relatively close to my house gets the job.

Instead of blowing your wad of money on general Spurs advertising that won't convert to sales (how many people are going to force an oil change just because they saw your logo/heard your jingle?), I would save your company a ton of money and take the following steps:

First, put your coupons on HEB receipts. Second, create an Express Lube fan page on Facebook and use it liberally. Distribute special offers and coupons on a regular basis. Incentivize people to like your page somehow (extra coupons on air filter changes or whatever).

Oil changes aren't things people just get so it's harder to advertise for them. I might see a Papa Johns commercial during a football game and say hey, that looks good, I think I'll order Papa Johns. But I'm not going to see a lube change commercial and then spring off my couch and go check my car to see if my oil needs changing.

What to do to get business:

- Hand out coupons liberally (including coupons for upsells).
- Use Facebook and Twitter to pound out more coupons.
- Think of creative ways to differentiate yourself from the competition.
(People don't want to hear the same great service, blah, blah, blah. Everybody has the same lines. Instead, say something like we don't accept tips or Wait 30 minutes or more and your Express Lube is free. --- KILLER Pitch)
- Make your website useful.
(I go to ExpressLube.com and I see a bunch of bullshit. Turn this bitch into something that persuades me to purchase from you and makes it as easy as possible. Tell me what you charge. Put a link to coupon codes. Tell me your services. Tell me what makes you different. Don't try to put this in a bunch of soft delivery terms, just come out with it. Phone numbers, link to Google maps for directions, email. Put this all right out there and take out the logo and car.)
- Get testimonials. "I took my car into ExpressLube, saved $10 with a coupon, and was out of there in 10 minutes!" vs. "We are proud to provide such services with the highest level of personal attention, courtesy and respect for the customer." --- BORING, nobody cares. Tell me something you can't just make up out of thin air that's real. (This is why you'd put in a customer testimonial)

What about ordering ahead of time online? Say someone only wants a lube change and they want to send their 18 year old punk kid to do it. This way they pay ahead of time and it's done. Plus, you get an advance on money.

What about reservations for a specific time?

What about Google advertising? I see ExpressLube.com nowhere in organic or sponsored results when I search for oil changes in san antonio. Get an adwords campaign and a place on Google maps and get your ass in the game. This is targeted traffic you are missing out on everyday. You need to be in the search engines - able to be found when people are actually are looking for an oil change.

Spend your money advertising to people that are searching "oil change san antonio" and other directly targeted keywords.

Don't spend your money on average joe Spurs fan wondering what part of raccoon is in the hotdog he's eating.

Start thinking what a buyer is looking for and you'll see a lot more sales.

Last, do some formal marketing research. When people are sitting those hard plastic seats doing nothing, waiting for their car, ask if they wouldn't mind filling out a survey (or even better $1/off for a survey). Find out what referrals/ads are working.

How did you find us?
What can we do better?
What do you like about us?
Did you visit our website?

etc, etc.

Then wrap it up by asking if they want an oil change coupon emailed to them in 3 months (or whatever) when their next recommended oil change is scheduled to take place.

Last, don't nickel and dime people and rip them off because it comes back around. You might make $27 this time making up some phony problem with an engine hose that has too much dust on it, but if people sense they are being slighted, the word will spread. Instead of having them leave feeling dirty, clean up the lobby area, put some good magazines in their from this decade, and offer them a cold bottled water (unexpected act of kindness). You might be known as the oil place that gives out free water. Word spreads. That $0.15 water becomes gold. Some of the simplest and easiest changes make huge impacts.

There's a lot more that you can do but between the broad strokes and the details above, you can start to paint the picture.

Stop the Spurs ticket giveaways and the cheap Bud Fox salesman pitches and get real.

Show me why in the world ExpressLube is my only choice the next time I need an oil change.

You put out a 3rd grade logo, a generic sales pitch, and some untargeted ads and you'll get equally lame results.

You get serious and you make ExpressLube THE ONLY PLACE FOR OIL CHANGES IN SAN ANTONIO and tell me how you can save me money, time, and make the checkout process as easy as pie - AND THEN save me more money down the road - and I might be tempted to see if you can walk the walk.

Don Draper
01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
You're asking the wrong question here. You shouldn't wonder where to advertise, you should wonder who to advertise to.

Picture the modern single woman. Young, sexy, vibrant, full of excitement at the possibilities of life. And also in need of a man that knows his way around the garage. If she had a man at home, she wouldn't need to get an oil change. You see, you're not just selling oil. No, you're also selling the hope of love. The playful flirting of the eyes, hands almost touching but not quite, the excitement of a first kiss, and finally a wild night of passionate lovemaking. The men at your store aren't just grease monkeys, they're revolutionaries poised to usher women into that world of sexual freedom. Women need an oil change, but they want a man. Give her what she wants.

"At Express Lube we clean the pipes"

Please make all checks payable to Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

Das Texan
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh that reminds me. At Valvoline Oil Change center or whatever....

They wanted me to replace the cabin air filter cause it was dirty. (It was). They wanted to charge 50 bucks for it. The same part is at Auto Zone for 17 bucks more or less.

So it was 30 bucks labor to remove one screw, take off the glove box and exchange filters.

Fuck them for that (probably the 'industry' standard cause people are fucking idiots.)

Oh and they tried to 'forget' about my coupon for the oil change I gave the fuckers when I showed up. That was fun.

ploto
01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
What do I think?

Quite frankly, I think it is interesting that you only post on ST to pimp your business.

ploto
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Bingo!

I started taking my car to a place that lets me reserve a time and I know it will be done right then, instead of having to take my chances and drive there only to find 4 other cars ahead of me.

byrontx
01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
I can't imagine any of that converting at a respectable rate. What you're doing with that type of advertising is getting brand recognition but you're not getting cold hard sales (I'm talking cash registers CA-CHINGING). I'm not sure how much money Express Lube has but I'd get out of the general brand advertising racket.

Instead of thinking like a traditional advertiser, think like a person that is in need of an oil change. Personally, I never even think about who I'm taking my car to until it's time. Usually the first place that I find a decent coupon for that is relatively close to my house gets the job.

Instead of blowing your wad of money on general Spurs advertising that won't convert to sales (how many people are going to force an oil change just because they saw your logo/heard your jingle?), I would save your company a ton of money and take the following steps:

First, put your coupons on HEB receipts. Second, create an Express Lube fan page on Facebook and use it liberally. Distribute special offers and coupons on a regular basis. Incentivize people to like your page somehow (extra coupons on air filter changes or whatever).

Oil changes aren't things people just get so it's harder to advertise for them. I might see a Papa Johns commercial during a football game and say hey, that looks good, I think I'll order Papa Johns. But I'm not going to see a lube change commercial and then spring off my couch and go check my car to see if my oil needs changing.

(People don't want to hear the same great service, blah, blah, blah. Everybody has the same lines. Instead, say something like we don't accept tips or Wait 30 minutes or more and your Express Lube is free. --- KILLER Pitch)
(I go to ExpressLube.com and I see a bunch of bullshit. Turn this bitch into something that persuades me to purchase from you and makes it as easy as possible. Tell me what you charge. Put a link to coupon codes. Tell me your services. Tell me what makes you different. Don't try to put this in a bunch of soft delivery terms, just come out with it. Phone numbers, link to Google maps for directions, email. Put this all right out there and take out the logo and car.)
- Get testimonials. "I took my car into ExpressLube, saved $10 with a coupon, and was out of there in 10 minutes!" vs. "We are proud to provide such services with the highest level of personal attention, courtesy and respect for the customer." --- BORING, nobody cares. Tell me something you can't just make up out of thin air that's real. (This is why you'd put in a customer testimonial)

What about ordering ahead of time online? Say someone only wants a lube change and they want to send their 18 year old punk kid to do it. This way they pay ahead of time and it's done. Plus, you get an advance on money.

What about Google advertising? I see ExpressLube.com nowhere in organic or sponsored results when I search for oil changes in san antonio. Get an adwords campaign and a place on Google maps and get your ass in the game. This is targeted traffic you are missing out on everyday. You need to be in the search engines - able to be found when people are actually are looking for an oil change.

Spend your money advertising to people that are searching "oil change san antonio" and other directly targeted keywords.

Don't spend your money on average joe Spurs fan wondering what part of raccoon is in the hotdog he's eating.

Last, do some formal marketing research. When people are sitting those hard plastic seats doing nothing, waiting for their car, ask if they wouldn't mind filling out a survey (or even better $1/off for a survey). Find out what referrals/ads are working.

How did you find us?
What can we do better?

etc, etc.

Then wrap it up by asking if they want an oil change coupon emailed to them in 3 months (or whatever) when their next recommended oil change is scheduled to take place.

Last, don't nickel and dime people and rip them off because it comes back around. You might make $27 this time making up some phony problem with an engine hose that has too much dust on it, but if people sense they are being slighted, the word will spread. Instead of having them leave feeling dirty, clean up the lobby area, put some good magazines in their from this decade, and offer them a cold bottled water (unexpected act of kindness). You might be known as the oil place that gives out free water. Word spreads. That $0.15 water becomes gold. Some of the simplest and easiest changes make huge impacts.

There's a lot more that you can do but between the broad strokes and the details above, you can start to paint the picture.

Stop the Spurs ticket giveaways and the cheap Bud Fox salesman pitches and get real.

Show me why in the world ExpressLube is my only choice the next time I need an oil change.

You put out a 3rd grade logo, a generic sales pitch, and some untargeted ads and you'll get equally lame results.

You get serious and you make ExpressLube THE ONLY PLACE FOR OIL CHANGES IN SAN ANTONIO and tell me how you can save me money, time, and make the checkout process as easy as pie - AND THEN save me more money down the road - and I might be tempted to see if you can walk the walk.

This is all great advice. Your best prospect is the person that has already bought from you-make sure the window sticky has a coupon printed on to it. Any advertising you do should have a form of monitoring its effectiveness- a coupon code or "tell 'em Dave sent you" or whatever and you should maintain a small database where you can tick off on the ad source when the customer checks out. Last, check and see what radio station their car is tuned to as one of your processes and note it on the workorder for logging into the database.

Mark in Austin
01-30-2011, 04:48 PM

How did you find us?
What can we do better?

etc, etc.

Awesome post. Maybe the best part is pointing out that buying an oil change is different than buying a pizza, so you need to advertise differently too.

Greg Oden
01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Men don't get their oil changed? I know a lot of men and I'm one of the few that does it myself.

yeah i bet.