PDA

View Full Version : Where is Sean Elliott going?

concken
01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Caught the fourth quarter up here in Lubbock, and the "post-game" show they had up here only allowed Sean and Bill to talk for 5 minutes or so. Bill Land said he was going to miss Sean Elliott and said he was going to be gone until Feb. 23rd. Anyone know where he will be?

And will Malik Rose fill in the WHOLE time?!

Can't stand that guy.

slayermin
01-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Keeping warm by the fireplace.

easy7
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
He has a clause in his contract where he won't travel to cold places.

greyforest
01-29-2011, 11:12 PM
sean takes off lots of road games. a shame, since sean is drops one-liners left and right. thankfully he said he'd supply malik with some one-liners to use on tim duncan.

WeNeedLength
01-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Maybe Sean loves the rodeo THAT much lol...

DesignatedT
01-29-2011, 11:20 PM
He doesn't travel up to cold weather games or the rrt.

duncan228
01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
It's to protect his health.

concken
01-29-2011, 11:25 PM
It's to protect his health.

makes sense...

duncan228
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
No, he might say that, but he's from Arizona. He just hates the cold. I asked him why he wasn't interested in going on the west coast trip and he just didn't feel like only doing two of the three games since he wouldn't be doing the Lakers game.

Appreciate the info. :tu

I remember him saying it a long time ago. I took his word for it and assumed that's why he didn't travel in the winter weather.

honestfool84
01-30-2011, 02:18 AM
why won't he be doing the Lakers game?

duncan228
01-30-2011, 02:21 AM
why won't he be doing the Lakers game?

It's on TNT.

gospursgojas
01-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Sean Elliott is the man and he makes his own schedule.

eisfeld
01-30-2011, 04:44 AM
sean takes off lots of road games. a shame, since sean is drops one-liners left and right. thankfully he said he'd supply malik with some one-liners to use on tim duncan.

They should bring in lefty for the games Elliott is out. He's the master of one-liners.

KenziE
01-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Sean Elliott is the man and he makes his own schedule.

the man himself

Chieflion
01-30-2011, 06:01 AM
They should bring in lefty for the games Elliott is out. He's the master of one-liners.

Maybe they are one and the same.

baseline bum
01-30-2011, 06:21 AM
I don't think we're ever going to see Sean go on a road trip that includes Detroit. That must have been a hell of a nasty year for him there.

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm a little surprised he isn't doing the first leg of the RRT to the west coast, but one thing you will see if you watch long enough is that he NEVER does the Detroit game or the associated games on whatever road trip that is. His year with the Pistons was THAT traumatic.

Giuseppe
01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
He was always a little genteel, even as a player.

Big P
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Malik again?? He's absolutely horrible...time to mute the tv & dial woai up.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
they should just get bowen to do it

ploto
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Malik again?? He's absolutely horrible...time to mute the tv & dial woai up.

I like that Malik is less of a homer; it balances Bill Land.

The Spurs want Sean bad enough that they agree to his lack of travel.

greyforest
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
they should just get bowen to do it

bowen would probably be better than malik

dbreiden83080
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
He's not a very good commentator so really

Who cares??

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM

Moreso early in his career than later. While we were shoving the broomstick up the Lakers ass in 99, he was getting an IV bag after every game during the playoffs. He was fucking hard as nails.

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Who cares??

You must have had your sense of humor amputated. I never fail to laugh out loud at least two or three times a game. He knows the dynamic of the team, and knows Pop well, and is entertaining. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a color commentator. He's not doing play by play. That's a different job.

spursfan09
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM

I guess playing with bad kidneys makes you "genteel" Not to mention having a kidney transplant and coming back to play in the NBA

dbreiden83080
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
You must have had your sense of humor amputated. I never fail to laugh out loud at least two or three times a game. He knows the dynamic of the team, and knows Pop well, and is entertaining. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a color commentator. He's not doing play by play. That's a different job.

Lets just say he is no Walt Clyde Frazier..

Dingle Barry
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Fuck Malik. He sucks worse than Reggie Miller and I didn't think that was possible.

VBM
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
http://wildaboutazcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SeanElliott1.jpghttp://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/12/09/homer-simpson-cp-3723197.jpg

Big P
01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
http://wildaboutazcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SeanElliott1.jpghttp://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/12/09/homer-simpson-cp-3723197.jpg

No shit...what is he supposed to do....root against the Spurs?

Spurbanana
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Glad I'm not the only one confused by people's complaints.

Biernutz
01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I want Spurs TV network announcers to be homers. There is too many national sportscasters who hate the Spurs and it shows. As for Malik still don't know if I want him to stay or not but how many games have we lost when he called them.

Big P
01-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Not one national analyst give us any respect...nice to have Sean & Bill bring a little cheer.

VBM
01-31-2011, 12:38 AM

Blatant homerism always bothered me when listening to other teams announcers...so it's sad (for me) to see Sean go down that same road. The one-liners are pretty solid though.

KenziE
01-31-2011, 01:01 AM
nothing to see here ... just people complaining about sean being a homer ! bunch of whiners always on the lookout to complain about anything !

VBM
01-31-2011, 01:21 AM
nothing to see here ... just people complaining about sean being a homer ! bunch of whiners always on the lookout to complain about anything !

Yes...because nobody here has ever complained about other team's announcers (i.e. Blazers) being completely unbearable to listen to

cherylsteele
01-31-2011, 01:21 AM
Blatant homerism always bothered me when listening to other teams announcers...so it's sad (for me) to see Sean go down that same road. The one-liners are pretty solid though.
Actually he does give players on the other teams props many times, if you ever watch the games he calls you would know this.

VBM
01-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Actually he does give players on the other teams props many times, if you ever watch the games he calls you would know this.

Homer announcers are notorious for disagreeing with nearly every call a referee makes against their team. It's not about complimenting other teams' players. If you ever watched League Pass you would know this.

Whisky Dog
01-31-2011, 01:48 AM
When you're 40-7 it's hard not to be a homer because there isn't a lot of bad shit to talk about.

That's right, 40-7. If any of the other teams that won titles in the 90s or 2000s were 40-7 this year the national media would be sucking them off nightly and their starting 5 would be going to the all-star game. Sean and Bill's fan like call is a welcome oasis in an anti-Spurs world.

gospursgojas
01-31-2011, 02:08 AM
Whats the difference between a homer and a fan?

To me Sean and Bill are just huge Spurs fans and show it. I enjoy it bc its like watching the game with 2 extra fans in the room.

cherylsteele
01-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Homer announcers are notorious for disagreeing with nearly every call a referee makes against their team. It's not about complimenting other teams' players. If you ever watched League Pass you would know this.

Do you ever watch a Spurs game Sean has called?
Yes Sean is a homer, but not as blatant as you make him out to be. He is a SPURS tv announcer, oh the horror of calling the way he does.:dramaquee
I do not watch league pass, just can't afford it.

Spur|n|Austin
01-31-2011, 03:38 AM

Who cares??

Sean is an excellent commentator - hilarious and knows his team. You have to remember he's not speaking on bspn or tnt - he's allowed to be a homer.

VBM
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Do you ever watch a Spurs game Sean has called?
Yes Sean is a homer, but not as blatant as you make him out to be. He is a SPURS tv announcer, oh the horror of calling the way he does.:dramaquee
I do not watch league pass, just can't afford it.

I watch about 75% of Spurs games a year (100% of the playoff games). I get Sean's call on a majority of those games. This isn't something against Sean the person (he's cool, got a pic with him from 2003, and so on).

Someone made a comment that watching a home telecast is like watching it with two more fans. I don't want to have fans giving me their take on basketball...I want an unbiased take on the game from people who have better access to the sport than I do.

Sean isn't as bad as some other guys (hello Tommy H. in Boston), but he's gotten progressively more biased in his commentary over time. To me, it takes away his credibility, and goes against the whole Spurs "integrity or nothing" vibe that all us fans love this team for. I liken it to when we crack jokes about Gasol crying for fouls everytime he touches the ball...that's funny, but I kind of wish Duncan didn't do the "who me?" face after damn near every foul called on him.

Some people need announcers to agree with everything they think to be entertained...I don't.

Kool Bob Love
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
If you don't like the way Bill and SEAN call the game put the tv on mute.
Problem solved.:toast

I like the way they do things.

gospursgojas
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I watch about 75% of Spurs games a year (100% of the playoff games). I get Sean's call on a majority of those games. This isn't something against Sean the person (he's cool, got a pic with him from 2003, and so on).

Someone made a comment that watching a home telecast is like watching it with two more fans. I don't want to have fans giving me their take on basketball...I want an unbiased take on the game from people who have better access to the sport than I do.

Sean isn't as bad as some other guys (hello Tommy H. in Boston), but he's gotten progressively more biased in his commentary over time. To me, it takes away his credibility, and goes against the whole Spurs "integrity or nothing" vibe that all us fans love this team for. I liken it to when we crack jokes about Gasol crying for fouls everytime he touches the ball...that's funny, but I kind of wish Duncan didn't do the "who me?" face after damn near every foul called on him.

Some people need announcers to agree with everything they think to be entertained...I don't.

To each's own, I guess.

I'd rather get Spurs homerism than an unbiased call of the game. I don't think an unbiased call of a game exists anymore anyway. You'll get homerism in local broadcasts and Heat/Lakers/Knicks/Celts homerism in national broadcasts so bc of that I'd rather listen to Sean and Bill.

rjv
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
health does make sense though... any virus could impair his one good kidney. always better to stay away from the road where cold could weaken one's resistance to any common winter cold virus out there.

Leetonidas
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Sean is a homer but he's not as bad as some of you make him seem. He does disagree with a lot of calls but he does it often in jest and it's obvious that he knows it was the right call but the guy is a Spur at heart, right at the core. Cut him some slack. He always gives other teams/players props and he will criticize the team when necessary. Besides, if he sees a call was called correctly after he disagreed, he will usually correct himself.

manufan10
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
I want Spurs TV network announcers to be homers. There is too many national sportscasters who hate the Spurs and it shows. As for Malik still don't know if I want him to stay or not but how many games have we lost when he called them.

+1

I don't find the Spurs broadcast team to be too homerish. They have their moments, but overall it's good listening. I also found the Houston guys the other night to be good as well.

VBM
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
To each's own, I guess.

True enough. :toast I will give props to Sean on the "Tragic Johnson" calls...cracks me up every time.

Killakobe81
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

The bolded I agree 100% ...

The rest is suspect ...but I'm sure the Boston fans love's heihnson and his "tommy points" so no accounting for taste ...when biased commentary is lauded by the local yokels ...

urunobili
01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Bruce Bowen's humor would rock to replace Sean!

Spurs Brazil
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Bruce Bowen's humor would rock to replace Sean!

Bruce would be perfect