PDA

View Full Version : should tv analysts/announcers stop saying the spurs are the best...record-wise?

td4mvp3
01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
caveats: yes, i know they have a right to say what they want and that their opinions don't decide games or anything, and that haters gone hate. with that dispensed with, it does rub me the wrong way because it seems like a slight given with a wink and a nod to say yes, they're good on paper and in the standings but we all know such-and-such team is the true power. or is it just fine to continue that kind of thinking because we all know such-and-such team is better and just not playing it? 40-7 is hard to dismiss, but i guess other hot teams have proven fallible recently (boston, dallas).

as a corollary, what would the coverage be like if this were the heat, boston, or la at 40-7?

Giuseppe
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
You guys have always gotten a kick out of this sort of thing. Hell, you still obsess & ruminate over closing The Forum down and doing things right/Neal withstanding.

Spursmania
01-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Tbh, I don't think the Spurs or Pop give a rat's ass. It is the consummate hypocrisy though, given as you pointed out, the media would be drooling over themselves if this record were held by LA, Miami or Boston.

It is definitely a slight and meant to be one, since the media believe that LA, Boston and/or Miami will take care of business against the Spurs.

It's an amazing record, but they are learning how to win whether it's ugly or not great teams figure out how to win and the Spurs are doing that. They are going to be a tough team to knock out 4/7 games. If they stay healthy, we are in for a deep playoff run and a shot at the LOB. With HCA, that can make all the difference in the world, imo.

Cane
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I've heard sportscasters say the Celtics are the best team in the east "record wise" so it ain't just the Spurs FWIW. Its just something sportscasters say but it can be intentional and for good reason: Spurs aren't the defending champs and haven't been to a conference finals for a few years now much less the Finals. If the Spurs didn't get swept last year and instead made it to the WCF they'd probably have more hype than they do now. The hype machine will only grow for the Spurs as long their record keeps up though.

as a corollary, what would the coverage be like if this were the heat, boston, or la at 40-7?

It'd be insane. ESPN has a miniseries based on this Celtics season so they'd eat that record right up. Their homers were even trying to push KG as a MVP candidate for example. Then they got the crazy Heat coverage and LA's LA.

ElNono
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
OP gives too much credit to TV announcers, imo.

dbestpro
01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Respect should only come in rings. We should be the third most respected team in the NBA.

For those who chew on the Heat jock, you must bow and kiss the feet of the best record Spurs as you have not done anything to deserve the respect that you have gotten.

greyforest
01-30-2011, 12:14 PM

the media would be collectively sucking their dick

Blue Duck
01-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello guys. This is my first post, but I've been reading Spurstalk Forums on a daily basis, consistently since 2004. I was born in S.A. and grew up in Schertz out on the northeast side, been a very die hard Spurs fan my whole life. Anyways, on this topic, I watched the game last night on Foxsports Houston and listened to their announcers, and they repeatedly mentioned the fact that the Spurs had the best record in the league. I felt it was being done, moreso as a means of making their own fanbase feel better about their own team; i.e "The Rockets are playing well against the best team in basket ball, record wise." Or later in the game, "Well, it was a good effort on the second night of a back to back against the best team in the league.....record wise." In other words, I feel it's going to be mentioned repeatedly, in other markets, as a means of making those fans feel better about their team's wins, close losses, good efforts, etc. against this team. Since the record is what the Spurs have, you're going to keep hearing about that specifically. If it were the Lakers, Celtics or Heat it would be the same thing with whatever accolades apply; Great effort against the defending champs/Eastern Conference Champs/Most talented team in the NBA. I hope this makes sense.

On a side note, the Rockets announcers went overboard, repeatedly calling the Spurs a team of "floppers", and accusing Duncan of blatently traveling every time he got a touch. It went on and on throughout the game. Blair took a charge in the 3rd, I think, and Bill Worrel called it a blatent flop, and went on to say, "Well he's learnin from the best here in San Antonio". Every team's announcers should be biased toward that team, but I felt the Rocket guys overdid it a bit. Take care SpursNation

spurs4real
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
the media would be collectively sucking their dick

" . " = period!

Dex
01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
L.A. is the two-time defending champion. Until someone knocks them off, they are at the top of the mountain.

Boston has been to the Finals twice in the last three years, and looks as powerful as ever.

No one gives a shit about Miami (but they would if they had our kinda of record).

That being considered, the Spurs have made a great run so far, but we have yet to see if it will equate to anything in the playoffs. Unless it does, then all we have here is the best "record" in the league.

m33p0
01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
it was Pop who pointed that out and wanted it mentioned that way. he said it before the utah game. so if you have any complaints, bring it to Pop. see if he gives a rat's ass.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
we perform better when under the radar of the media

wtf do you clowns want the spurs to always be in the media...

boutons_deux
01-30-2011, 03:40 PM
"record-wise" qualification is obviously an insulting, tacky, two-bit attempt to denigrate the Spurs. It's a subtle form of trash talking.

And yes, the qualification wouldn't be applied to LA, MIA, BOS with the same record.

DesignatedT
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
wtf

GSH
01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
It really doesn't matter what the talking heads say. To give some perspective on how much the Spurs have dominated so far:

If the Spurs finish 23-12, which is below .666 the rest of the way, the Lakers would have to go 31-4 to finish with a better record. Which do you think is more likely to happen?

This really has been an incredible performance by the Spurs so far. Mediocre teams simply don't run away from the pack this way. The longer the commentators go without recognizing that, the more ignorant they look.

dougp
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello guys. This is my first post, but I've been reading Spurstalk Forums on a daily basis, consistently since 2004. I was born in S.A. and grew up in Schertz out on the northeast side, been a very die hard Spurs fan my whole life. Anyways, on this topic, I watched the game last night on Foxsports Houston and listened to their announcers, and they repeatedly mentioned the fact that the Spurs had the best record in the league. I felt it was being done, moreso as a means of making their own fanbase feel better about their own team; i.e "The Rockets are playing well against the best team in basket ball, record wise." Or later in the game, "Well, it was a good effort on the second night of a back to back against the best team in the league.....record wise." In other words, I feel it's going to be mentioned repeatedly, in other markets, as a means of making those fans feel better about their team's wins, close losses, good efforts, etc. against this team. Since the record is what the Spurs have, you're going to keep hearing about that specifically. If it were the Lakers, Celtics or Heat it would be the same thing with whatever accolades apply; Great effort against the defending champs/Eastern Conference Champs/Most talented team in the NBA. I hope this makes sense.

On a side note, the Rockets announcers went overboard, repeatedly calling the Spurs a team of "floppers", and accusing Duncan of blatently traveling every time he got a touch. It went on and on throughout the game. Blair took a charge in the 3rd, I think, and Bill Worrel called it a blatent flop, and went on to say, "Well he's learnin from the best here in San Antonio". Every team's announcers should be biased toward that team, but I felt the Rocket guys overdid it a bit. Take care SpursNation

You should try living here - I was relieved when it wasn't Drexler but that feeling was soon gone when they started their flopping bullshit. As I said to my wife, "I hope someone flops into a gun and shoots them in the head."

lefty
01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Spurs are the best recordwise

eric365
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
it was Houston announcers yesterday on ILP for the spurs-rockets game and they just said best team in basketball.

Not all the announcers says record-wise !

Spurs Brazil
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Are pigs flying? ESPN’s ‘The Sports Reporters’ analyze the Spurs’ fast start
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 10:22 am by Tim Griffin

The Spurs were a topic for conversation Sunday morning by ESPN's "The Sports Reporters."

So much for keeping that “no national respect” tag Spurs Nation has liked to use as a unifier during the team’s earlier championship runs.

The Spurs’ record-breaking 40-7 start was a prime topic of conversation on ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters” on Sunday morning.

The panel of John Saunders, Mike Lupica, Bob Ryan and Judy Battista spent a complete segment on San Antonio’s quick charge this season. It was the first NBA discussion they had on this week’s show, coming after their breakdown of Super Bowl XLV and Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler’s injury.

Keep reading - http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/30/when-pigs-fly-espns-the-sports-reporters-break-down-the-spurs-fast-start/