PDA

View Full Version : Why?

FkLA
01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
...does everyone say the Spurs are stepping on the gas pedal out of the gates, a lot more than they ever have? Ive heard this from coaches like Karl, players, fans, and sportswriters. Yet Duncan is playing the lowest minutes of his career, and having by far his worst statistical season. Ginobili is playing like 30 mpg. Parker isnt playing an astronomical number of minutes either. McDyess, arguably our 2nd best big man, is playing the role of Horry and getting alot of DNPs. Splitter hasnt come close to living up to expectations. The defense was atrocious early in the season, etc.

It just seems like yet another misconception about the Spurs, almost a slap in the face tbh...like just another way to slightly discredit them. That and the health argument which is ridiculous considering how much LA has benefitted from injuries the past 2 yrs yet noone mentions it.

Time to realize that the Spurs are simply that mf'in good tbh. 40-7 doesnt happen just because you come out of the gates strong (which in this case isnt even true) or because your team is healthy. This team is legit.

:bike:

weebo
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Other than the Knick game, Pop hasn't been trying to throw games like years past.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
and wtf do you give a shit what the media or any other team fanbase has to say about the spurs?

we had always been this good but we never had a healthy team in seasons past

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
No, they're probably right. While Tim is playing career low minutes, Manu is close to, or above career high minutes. Tony is also playing 2 minutes more than last year at a time his minutes should probably be leveling off, or dropping slightly. In years past, Pop would let games go if the players let them get out of reach. This year Manu is both kick starting and closing games, something he never did in years past.

Fortunately, our schedule was rougher in the first half than it will be on the second half. If we can get Neal and Anderson 100% healthy, they can start eating more minutes for Manu and RJ, and Hill can stop playing the 3 and eat some of Tony's minutes.

I tell people we're like Sea Biscuit, retraining to go to the lead, when in the past, we've always been the stalking horse. :lol

Cane
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I mostly agree with the OP's points but the Spurs themselves said they were going to work harder for the early W's. Last season was a perfect example of why since Manu had to carry the team in the second half of the season just to make it to the playoffs.

And while the Spurs have done well managing minutes, Ginobili is averaging a career high in minutes (however its not as bad as it sounds since its 31.5 mins) and is no longer coming off the bench FWIW.

However you do get the feeling that the Spurs are still kinda coasting since no one is playing heavy minutes.

FkLA
01-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Other than the Knick game, Pop hasn't been trying to throw games like years past.

Pop doesnt 'throw' games away, thats ridiculous. He might throw in the towel a minute or two earlier than the average coach...but usually there's some reasoning for it. What's the likelihood the Spurs overcome a 12 pt deficit with 3 mins left? Unlikely. What about against a team that had been shooting 60% the entire game? Basically impossible.

Regardless of that though...he's not doing anything different than what he has before imo. This team simply hasnt given him the opporunity to prematurely throw in the towel very often, because theyve been consistantly good to the point where they havent been in those types of games often.

and wtf do you give a shit what the media or any other team fanbase has to say about the spurs?

we had always been this good but we never had a healthy team in seasons past

Im usually not the type of Spurs fan that cries because we're not ESPN's darling, I could care less if we're their favorites or getting the most airtime...I just dont like when something blatantly false is being spread as truth about this team though. There's a difference between this and what most Spur's fans complain about imo.

Giuseppe
01-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Exactly.

Don't be so insecure.

Mel_13
01-30-2011, 11:40 AM
...does everyone say the Spurs are stepping on the gas pedal out of the gates, a lot more than they ever have?

The Spurs, Manu in particular, have said exactly that. They didn't take advantage of an easy, home game heavy, early season schedule last year and had to play catch up all year. This year, they made a priority of winning early in the season to put them in position to secure a high playoff seed.

Others are saying it because the Spurs have said it.

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Pop doesnt 'throw' games away, thats ridiculous. He might throw in the towel a minute or two earlier than the average coach...but usually there's some reasoning for it.

I have to disagree with that point. In years past he never would have expended the starter minutes to come back in games like the TWO Minnesota games where we came back from like 21 and 15 points down. He would have let at least those two games go and played the bench.

ElNono
01-30-2011, 11:44 AM
What Mel said. They basically didn't want to repeat what happened last season where they lost winnable games early and it came back to haunt them in the second half of the season (where we almost missed the playoffs if not for some Manu heroics).

The minutes might not directly reflect that, but the fact that the lineups have been stable (where Pop didn't tinker as much and we're still using the same starting lineup) I think it's a good indicator of that.

ElNono
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I have to disagree with that point. In years past he never would have expended the starter minutes to come back in games like the TWO Minnesota games where we came back from like 21 and 15 points down. He would have let at least those two games go and played the bench.

Agreed. He might do it to send a message, but he still does it.
And the NY game was thrown out. You can say it was unlikely, etc to catch up and what not, but we've had double digit scoring runs in much less time this season. Heck, we had a similar run the day right after the NY game in Boston.

He has definitely done it a lot less this season. Those Minnesota games are great examples.

FkLA
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Manu is playing career high minutes but hes a starter this yr tbh, 31 mpg is only 2-3 more than past yrs and still considerably less than the minutes an all-star guard averages....Parker was hobbled last season too, and even came off the bench during that stretch at the end of the season. To me neither of those things indicate that the Spurs are stepping on the gas pedal harder, they almost seem logical tbh.

Spurs players/coaches themselves saying that theyre trying to get a good start is a good point though...idk it just doesnt seem like it though tbh. This team is still only in 3rd/4th gear in my opinion, they still have alot of room for improvment it seems like no ??

ElNono
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
There was an interview with RC after they inked either Tiago or Anderson, where he pointed out they were looking to start better and get a good seed for the playoffs, because last season made them realize that this team is not that good anymore to just win all the series on the road.

FkLA
01-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Those type of comments by players/coaches/RC almost seem logical tbh. Isnt it like a bad defensive team saying that theyll be looking to improve their defense from the previous season? Or a bad road team saying they want to improve on the road? Idk it almost seems like those comments are being somewhat misinterpreted. I dont think they indicate that this team was wanting to go balls out straight out of the gates, because it still seems like they have a couple of gears left in them tbh. Especially defensively.

Exactly.

Don't be so insecure.

Go back downstairs Cubby. The Queen isnt too fond of your prescence in her kingdom.

Cane
01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
This team is still only in 3rd/4th gear in my opinion, they still have alot of room for improvment it seems.

Agreed, especially for Duncan. He seems to be taking more jumpers and hasn't battled much in the post, not to mention he's playing less than 30 mins a game. In the PO's I expect the Spurs to be much better defensively just for the fact that Duncan and the rest of the big 3 will have more minutes and motivation to play.

ElNono
01-30-2011, 11:55 AM
tbh, I think we're peaking offensively. What's been surprising is that we're maintaining this level (on offense). The Hornets game was one game where we didn't.
It will also be interesting to see if we can maintain this during the playoffs, where the pace normally slows down a bit.

We have a whole lot of work on the defensive end though.

Giuseppe
01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Go back downstairs Cubby. The Queen isnt too fond of your prescence in her kingdom.

She ain't a Queen. She's a Princess.

And if she doesn't want me up here she'll tell me.

pjjrfan
01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
To tell the truth I think the bench has bailed out the starters more often than not. A lot of games don't start off well then the bench comes in and right the ship and then the one of the big three picks it up and brings it home. The other interesting thing about this team is that they hang around and then have a combination of a good defensive qtr to go along with a good offensive qtr and get enough separation to win the game. Also they have been playing better in the 2nd half than the first half.

FkLA
01-30-2011, 12:13 PM
She ain't a Queen. She's a Princess.

And if she doesn't want me up here she'll tell me.

I was simply fearing for your well being the way a mother fears for her toddlers well being.

Personally I welcome your prescence in the kingdom with open arms.

<3

Giuseppe
01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
It's deader than a doornail down there.