PDA

View Full Version : Commercials hardly ever include the Spurs

dav4463
01-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Maybe it's just because I am a Spurs fan, but it seems like the Spurs are never featured in NBA TV spots.

The one for the HOOP Troop or whatever it's called....the one where "fastbreak meets fantasy", MVP's meet OMG, dunks meet whatever....no Spurs in the highlights.

The Lenny Kravitz song.....no Spurs in the highlights.

Even the NBA power rankings....Spurs have best record, yet the #1 ranked team will always be the Heat or the Lakers, maybe the Celtics...then one of them will lose and one of the other replaces them while the Spurs stay #2 or #3.

If the Lakers or Celtics had the record the Spurs have, their entire starting lineup would probably be on the All Star team!

Sportscenter always leads off with Laker highlights, unless they lose....then it's the Heat or Celtics. If all three lose on the same night.....what will they do???

smrattler
01-30-2011, 11:26 PM
You think?

CubanMustGo
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Maybe it's just because I am a Spurs fan, but it seems like the Spurs are never featured in NBA TV spots.

The one for the HOOP Troop or whatever it's called....the one where "fastbreak meets fantasy", MVP's meet OMG, dunks meet whatever....no Spurs in the highlights.

The Lenny Kravitz song.....no Spurs in the highlights.

Even the NBA power rankings....Spurs have best record, yet the #1 ranked team will always be the Heat or the Lakers, maybe the Celtics...then one of them will lose and one of the other replaces them while the Spurs stay #2 or #3.

If the Lakers or Celtics had the record the Spurs have, their entire starting lineup would probably be on the All Star team!

Sportscenter always leads off with Laker highlights, unless they lose....then it's the Heat or Celtics. If all three lose on the same night.....what will they do???

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/19701/1044198.jpg

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes. The national media not only ignores them, it runs them down when it does talk about them. You need to get used to this as a Spurs fan since there is nothing you can do about it.

dav4463
01-31-2011, 12:01 AM
I know. It's irritating though isn't it?

Greg Oden
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
:cry

ChuckD
01-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I know. It's irritating though isn't it?

Frankly, I almost never watch national telecasts unless it's the Spurs and the local feed is off that night. Tuning out is my way of saying "kiss my ass".

SequSpur
01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Miami baby...the Heat is on....

TheSpurglar
01-31-2011, 12:54 AM
My sig with it.

UnWantedTheory
01-31-2011, 01:06 AM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/19701/1044198.jpg

:lol

Neal with it

My sig with it.
:nutkick::idiot

L.I.T
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM
It's all a gigantic conspiracy. The overlords hate the Spurs.

/too lazy to put in blue

m33p0
01-31-2011, 01:13 AM
we'll always have HEB

howbouthemspurs
01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
The Spurs will always be shunned in the national spotlight! Its the way its always been. The entire League is jealous of what the spurs have accomplished in the past decade.

Man In Black
01-31-2011, 01:26 AM
The Spurs will always be shunned in the national spotlight! Its the way its always been. The entire League is jealous of what the spurs have accomplished in the past decade.

It's not the entire league, just the association part of it, the part that's headed by Stern. The teams in the leagues, well they like what the Spurs are doing, which is why so many teams have former Spurs on their team, most in a major capacity like Coach or GM. But yeah...since a small market team led by Internationals who kick ass over teams led by All-Americans, the 4-letter and it's ilk tend to not want to talk about that.

davi78239
01-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Get use to it buddy. They'll be in commercials when they're getting dunked on. You'll learn to notice that too.

TE
01-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Lol I think I saw a commercial a while ago about the league pass, and several highlights included instances were players dunked on the Spurs. I would like to say I saw two. I'm not sure about that. But it is funny.

spursfan09
01-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Yup and the sky is blue and oceans are wide. Air is breathable, water is drinkable and Spurs aren't popular. Everything seems to be in good order.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 02:11 AM
Manu has appeared in NBA ads from time to time, a remember a couple of years ago the typical NBA copyright clip featured plays from 4-7 players..the significance is that they were very few of the whole league, and Manu was one. Now that I think about it:

9Z48gPCo0_U

cUVcziVd0yY

dX5JcitSJxM

MVgmjDYJzlU

Interesting..they chose Manu for the where amazing happens, there can only be one, and David Blaine series...but I guess for pretty much all of these they were either NBA playoff or finals commercials, so that explains why they were more inclined to put some Spurs.

gospursgojas
01-31-2011, 02:15 AM
WTF???? DID YOU NOT SEE THE NORTHSIDE FORD COMMERCIAL WITH TIAGO?

Golden.

Proxy
01-31-2011, 03:22 AM
I remember they Nike had a few badass commercials metaphorically comparing players to animals... If my memory is correct, the combos were Dirk/Hawk, Boykins/Frog, Nash/Cyclone, Sheed/Wild Fire....

and the Spurs as a collective defense (Bruce, Manu, and I think Tony) were compared piranhas... I've searched all over for this video to no avail... I only saw it aired twice... it was badass though.

here is the Dirk, Sheed, and Boykins ones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5REVV8-c3k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rujz3SV480
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iqHIJSvs-k

if anyone could post the Spurs commercial, I would be eternally grateful

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 03:36 AM
I remember they Nike had a few badass commercials metaphorically comparing players to animals... If my memory is correct, the combos were Dirk/Hawk, Boykins/Frog, Nash/Cyclone, Sheed/Wild Fire....

and the Spurs as a collective defense (Bruce, Manu, and I think Tony) were compared piranhas... I've searched all over for this video to no avail... I only saw it aired twice... it was badass though.

here is the Dirk, Sheed, and Boykins ones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5REVV8-c3k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rujz3SV480
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iqHIJSvs-k

if anyone could post the Spurs commercial, I would be eternally grateful
ahhh yes, good memory. The Spurs version had to have been aired minimally compared to the others.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Damn it, now you have me searching everywhere for it as well but this is the closest I come:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16515

Bukefal
01-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Yeah the Spurs are not getting any attention they deserve and yes nobody gives a shit about the spurs and they are mostly ignored. It has always been that way. Like said above, that's just something to get used to. I don't mind it, I like it tbh.

But, they are futured in commercials though and short clips with footage from time to time. Maybe not as much as other teams, but they are. Not just the team, but also clips with just Duncan, TP or Manu.

WalterBenitez
01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
It's all a gigantic conspiracy. The overlords hate the Spurs.

/too lazy to put in blue

It is an Intl conspiracy since Intl TV almost never consider Spurs :wow

I think Spurs #1 Standing is considered an ocasional anomaly :(

fyatuk
01-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I've seen the Spurs in a lot of NBA national TV spots (at least in game footage shown).

Usually on defense while Kobe, Pierce, LBJ, etc are scoring....

Blue Duck
01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
I for one have always appreciated the fact that no one else across the country, or in the national media cares about our team. It's more rewarding that way. I would hate to see a bunch of "Johnny Come Lately" poser fans, in places like New Jersey, or whatever, don Spurs gear, or see Ginobili jerseys in rap videos. Our fan base is loyal, and united, that's all that matters.

fraga
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
http://captainhindsightsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/captain-hindsight.jpg

manufan10
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
I love it even more when people go along with the "Spurs are boring" schtick. It suits me just fine that no one pays attention to them, as long as the Spurs continue to do their thing and win, that's all I care about.

concken
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
you go girl!

spurastic
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
I love it even more when people go along with the "Spurs are boring" schtick. It suits me just fine that no one pays attention to them, as long as the Spurs continue to do their thing and win, that's all I care about.

Right on.

If they wanted more attention or be less boring, they could implement cute little attention behaviors such as throwing chalk into the air, or doing the "big balls" dance after making a basket, etc.

silverblackfan
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I disagree with the OP. I often see all the other NBA teams scoring against the Spurs, usually in their road jerseys. I think the NBA likes to show the Spurs as the opponent.
Maybe the Spurs reputation for defense makes the offensive play that much more spectacular. Or maybe it is just those cool black jerseys...

Agloco
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
:cry

How's the knee Gregory?

cornbread
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Spurs=boring

smrattler
01-31-2011, 06:15 PM
I've seen tons of runs of those H.E.B. commericals.

Plus I recall DRob in an MC Hammer video, that's phat, right? Dope? Old School, old school!

And does it get better than Sean in Taco Cabana commercials, showing off his mad dribbling skills?

TD 21
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
It's not just commercials, it's respect in general. Read between the lines anytime the Celtics and Lakers are talking about each other. Particularly the Celtics. Indirectly, they're basically saying, "they're (Lakers) already in the Finals". Look no further than what Rivers did last season. Taking $2600 and leaving it in the ceiling tile at the Staples Center. Granted, the Lakers were overwhelming favorites to come out of the West, but still. It's abundantly clear from their comments that neither considers the Spurs a legit threat to them.

Here's a quote from Pierce: "Maybe if we had home court last year, who knows what happens in Game 7? So we're definitely not looking ahead this year, because it could come down to another Game 7. And hopefully we can have it on our home court."

You'll notice there's no mention of them being well back of the Spurs. It's clear their mentality is that if stay ahead of the Lakers, they'll have home court in the Finals.

Then you listen to all of these national broadcasters and analysts, same thing. Van Gundy thinks the Lakers are better than last season. Breen said yesterday "they're (Lakers) right on track to get back to the Finals". On Friday, Rose called them the "two most complete teams in the league". That unprofessional puke Barry continues to pretend the Spurs don't exist altogether.

If any of the hype machines had the record the Spurs have, they'd be talking about them in the context as the greatest single season teams of all-time. Not that I ever thought they were going to win 70, but how come there's been no mention of it? No "tracker" between them and the '96 Bulls? I guess you have to be named Lakers, Celtics, Heat, or you're not worthy of that.

Proxy
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Damn it, now you have me searching everywhere for it as well but this is the closest I come:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16515

Ah, well thanks for looking. :hat