PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner Update

TiMMeH*faN*frOmNY
01-31-2011, 03:04 AM
Great News. Move thread if necessary

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/31/bonner-to-make-trip-but-doubtful-for-tuesday/

spurs_2108
01-31-2011, 03:07 AM
Wait, so Oberto may try and come back?

koriwhat
01-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Wait, so Oberto may try and come back?

wtf?

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 03:13 AM
OBERTO HOPEFUL: Former Spurs starting center Fabricio Oberto sat in general manager R.C. Buford’s box to watch Saturday’s game against the Rockets, and he was at the team’s practice facility Sunday morning.

Oberto said he will have some medical tests done while in San Antonio before proceeding with conditioning work he hopes will lead to a continuation of his career.

The popular player from Argentina began the season with the Trail Blazers but announced his retirement because of problems with heart palpitations. He also experienced the condition while playing for the Spurs.

“I’ll have some tests, and we’ll see,” Oberto said.
:hungry:

jjktkk
01-31-2011, 03:22 AM
:hungry:

+1. The perfect big man off the bench. I hope he can pass the medical tests.

Zero_Twilight
01-31-2011, 03:53 AM
The fact that the Spurs are even considering bringing back Fab is indicative of a trade in the works. One that includes big men not named Timmy or Dice.

I hate to see any of the guys go but at the same time - I'd love to have K-Love on the team. A consistent double-double big man is what the team needs in the playoffs.

greyforest
01-31-2011, 04:08 AM
oberto is 35, just for those who are curious.

Chomag
01-31-2011, 04:11 AM
I smell a trade from this, but with the Spurs who realy knows untill the minute it happens.

Zero_Twilight
01-31-2011, 04:20 AM
oberto is 35, just for those who are curious.

This is why a trade seems probable. The Spurs are going to bet all the "chips" in order to cash out on the :lobt:. Fabby is an insurance policy for the shortage of bigs when it goes down.

Time is of the essence and Timmy and Dice are going to need someone else in the paint to hold it down against teams like Boston and Orlando in a 7 game series.

I'd hate to be the one to pull the trigger on this deal but you gotta do what you gotta do and not look back.

UnWantedTheory
01-31-2011, 04:21 AM
Eh? Who? Wha? Huh?

01-31-2011, 04:23 AM
wait... this is the first time i've heard of oberto coming back. is it to the spurs? because the article does not specify.

UnWantedTheory
01-31-2011, 04:28 AM
This is why a trade seems probable. The Spurs are going to bet all the "chips" in order to cash out on the :lobt:. Fabby is an insurance policy for the shortage of bigs when it goes down.

Time is of the essence and Timmy and Dice are going to need someone else in the paint to hold it down against teams like Boston and Orlando in a 7 game series.

I'd hate to be the one to pull the trigger on this deal but you gotta do what you gotta do and not look back.
Do you think you might be reaching a wee bit?

KenziE
01-31-2011, 04:56 AM
The fact that the Spurs are even considering bringing back Fab is indicative of a trade in the works. One that includes big men not named Timmy or Dice.

I hate to see any of the guys go but at the same time - I'd love to have K-Love on the team. A consistent double-double big man is what the team needs in the playoffs.

give it up and move on already , Kevin Love will never ever play for the spurs

Zero_Twilight
01-31-2011, 06:00 AM
Do you think you might be reaching a wee bit?

Concerning Kevin Love? Yes, far-fetched but one can dream..

Concerning a trade in the works? No, and if it goes through than it will be for a player with equal "presence."

I think the organization will definitely try to repay Timmy for his loyalty and the success that he helped bring to SA. Even it means gambling a couple players to bring in that last hurrah at a LOB.

mingus
01-31-2011, 06:40 AM
I don't see how him coming back means a trade. I think he would be a nice addition at the end of the bench for insurance.

IknowU
01-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Why would risk the young ever improving guys for a trade of a 35yr old with medical condition?

At best I would love to see him Larry Owens spot if he ends up being waived. Nothing more, nothing less.

8FOR!3
01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Wait Fabricio Oberto is coming out of retirement? Holy shit, I know a lot of you are going to say 35, health problems, no want. But 10 minutes a game of whatever Oberto still has to offer on the defensive end is still an added bonus. I doubt the guy is too washed up to come in and give the other bigs a break for a few minutes, play some solid D, and get a few rebounds/baskets every once in a while. His passing will also be a plus. For what we would ask out of him, I really don't think age and condition will even come into play.

Fuck let's just bring back Horry and Bruce Bowen. How bout some Sean Elliott while we're at it? :lol

IknowU
01-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Everyone would want him back imo. But not at the expense of a trade.

8FOR!3
01-31-2011, 08:06 AM
What does the trade involve though? It's not like we're trading Blair for Oberto lol...

IknowU
01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
What does the trade involve though? It's not like we're trading Blair for Oberto lol...

I dont where or what is triggering people to talk about trade talks in the first place?

Is oberto still contracted with blazer and we are trying to get him at spurs? If so then just give up couple of first round picks, not like first round picks are useful for us :p: Only second round :hat

K-State Spur
01-31-2011, 08:20 AM
for those who apparently didn't read the article very well:

he only said that he hopes to come back (just because he's getting more tests done doesn't make this any less of an issue).

there was absolutely no indication that he would come come back to (or is currently wanted by) the Spurs.

he is getting the work done in san antonio, but remember that this problem first came about while he was with the Spurs - so it's very likely that the doctor/medical facility he is most comfortable with is in San Antonio as well. Also, given his tenure and relationship with the team, I'm sure he is welcome to hang around the organization and use its facilities at will.

No point in reading anything more into it than that until there is reason to.

foodie2
01-31-2011, 08:26 AM

he only said that he hopes to come back (just because he's getting more tests done doesn't make this any less of an issue).

there was absolutely no indication that he would come come back to (or is currently wanted by) the Spurs.

he is getting the work done in san antonio, but remember that this problem first came about while he was with the Spurs - so it's very likely that the doctor/medical facility he is most comfortable with is in San Antonio as well. Also, given his tenure and relationship with the team, I'm sure he is welcome to hang around the organization and use its facilities at will.

Exactly. Reading is Fundamental. How anyone can glean anything about him playing for the Spurs from that article is a mystery to me.

8FOR!3
01-31-2011, 08:29 AM

Fuck you and your efforts of abolishing our wonderful rumors. :lol

ElNono
01-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Actually, I read an interview with him last week with an Argentine newspaper, and he said he's waiting for those tests to see if he could play the Olympic qualifier with the Argentina NT in September. That's basically it. He would like to retire from the NT on that tourney since it's in Argentina.

There was no mention of any comebacks to the NBA there.

mexicanjunior
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow...I thought Oberto was about done before he left...maybe the year off revitalized him.

BTW, someone should change the thread title to include the Oberto possible comeback.

cd98
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Oberto comeback is for basketball, and maybe the NBA, but not for the Spurs. We are stacked at the big man positions.

cheguevara
01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
:lol at the Kevin Love talk

what the hell you guys smoking?

TFloss32
01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I would love for Fab to come back, but don't see it happening. I also don't see how this article is indicative of a potential trade or why some would like to see a trade. We definitely need another serviceable big man, but we're 40-7 for a reason. I think it's a bit silly to break up a good thing (especially when the Spurs have proved they can outrebound bigger teams). Three questions:

1.) Who do we put out there as trade bait? I'm only willing to give up Splitter, Quinn and draft picks.

2.) Who are the Spurs realistically targeting that can help in the Playoffs?

3.) Who's willing to do a trade with a Spurs? We all know how hard it is for the Spurs to find a trading partner (especially when the trade is significant and helps the Spurs improve).

Shifty
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Agree with people saying there is nothing to this. If you follow Manu on twitter, you would know he had his usual night-before-game-against-the-rockets-dinner with Manu and Scola. They had them even when he was with the Wizards. Obviously he wanted to see them play against each other too.

Spursmania
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure what the excitement is about. Good for Fab if he can still play professional basketball and the Spurs are allowing him to use their facilities to work out. He was and is a great guy. End of story.

Bonner may be close to returning maybe he'll play in the last game on this particular 3 road trip. But clearly he's out for Tuesday and probably against the Lakers. That's all folks.

Texas_Ranger
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I heard K-Will will come back. :rollin

I'd be happy if Oberto comes and plays for 5-10 minutes. At least he can play good D.

E-RockWill
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
:lol at the Kevin Love talk

what the hell you guys smoking?

:smokin

Nothin' but the best, brah.....

Marhq
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I believe Oberto is in SA having some tests done with the docs who were treating his condition from the onset. This is because, as ElNono said, he wants to play for the NT in September.

It's a big deal; it will be the first time the NT plays in Argentina at full strength since 2001 and it's regarded as a (local) sendoff for this generation of players.

Even if he wanted to play for some other team in order to get in shape for the qualifier, I think it would make more sense for him to sign with a team of the Arg. league.

Saludos.

jmard5
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Hijacked thread. LoL.

This thread should have been called Bonnerto.

duncan228
02-02-2011, 01:35 AM
"He’s out until he’s in,” Popovich said. “I know that sounds crazy, but there’s no structural damage, so it’s just a matter of where it is, pain-wise. When he’s ready to play, he’ll play.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/01/neal-lands-spot-on-rookie-team/

crc21209
02-02-2011, 01:45 AM
So basically it's when Bonner nuts up and feels he can play with some pain....

Hoops Czar
02-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Do Gingers normally heal at a snails pace? If this the case, put him on injured reserve.

concken
02-02-2011, 02:23 AM
So basically it's when Bonner nuts up and feels he can play with some pain....

from what i've heard, he can walk around and lightly jump just fine. It's when he does anything that puts pressure under the knee cap that it starts to hurt.

DJ Mbenga
02-02-2011, 02:27 AM
no bonner and no bynum for thursday. i guess thats fair :(

Rynospursfan
02-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Who gives a flying fuck about old man Oberto. I hope he is healthy but he doesn't belong on the roster of the NBA's worst team, let alone, the best.

The Red Rocket is coming back soon!:chestbump

senorglory
02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Spurs chances of trading for Kevin Love?

"Love is putting up staggering numbers, averaging 21.6 points and 15.6 rebounds. He has six games with at least 20 points and 20 rebounds and three 30-20 games -- the first player to do that since Hakeem Olajuwon in 1990-91. Love is on pace to become the first player since Moses Malone in 1982-83 to average at least 20 points and 15 rebounds per game."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/02/winning-formula/

Non-existent.

lazerelmo
02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
No coach B tonight

http://twitter.com/spurs/statuses/33244740442914816

Spursmania
02-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Damn...Why is it taking so long? It feels like it's been almost 3 weeks since he got injured. Anybody remember the date he got hurt?

in2deep
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
:lmao

Kevin Love???

:lol

duncan228
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Bonner out for Thursday’s game against the Lakers (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/03/bonner-out-for-thursdays-game-against-the-lakers/)
Tim Griffin

...It will mean that Antonio McDyess and Tim Duncan will likely play more minutes against the Lakers.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has said that he is worrying about playing the 15-year veteran McDyess too much. His 27:37 outing against Portland Tuesday night was his third-longest of the season. McDyess had four turnovers to set his season high in that game.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/03/bonner-out-for-thursdays-game-against-the-lakers/

crc21209
02-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Damn...Why is it taking so long? It feels like it's been almost 3 weeks since he got injured. Anybody remember the date he got hurt?

He initially hurt it January 12th @ Milwaukee. He played Jan. 14th at home in the first half against the Mavs, but after that...he's been on the shelf.

DPG21920
02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Let Matt take his time. Just take your time, Matt. No rush. None at all. Just rest up big guy. Make sure you are ready, but be sure not to rush. Take it easy, no need to push it.

xmas1997
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Let Matt take his time. Just take your time, Matt. No rush. None at all. Just rest up big guy. Make sure you are ready, but be sure not to rush. Take it easy, no need to push it.

But while you're resting .............
HURRY UP and get well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol

DPG21920
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Ya, of course. Get well, Matt. Just take your time.

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping Tiago gets quality run tonight against Bynum and Gasol.

I have yet to give up hope on the guy. Reason being, he has yet to find enough consistent minutes on a game to game basis to find a comfortable rhythm on the court.

A schedule of having two DNP's, a 6 minute outing, and then a 14-16 minute outing in a 4 game cycle works against developing comfort/confidence and rhythm on the court.

Mugen
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM

I have yet to give up hope on the guy. Reason being, he has yet to find enough minutes to find a comfortable rhythm on the court.

A schedule of having two DNP's, a 6 minute outing, and then a 14-16 minute outing in a 4 game cycle works against developing comfort/confidence and rhythm on the court.

me too and i hope he doesn't foul out in 5 minutes.

i don't think he can guard Bynum, just too strong for him.

But i think he can guard Pau pretty well if he can be physical without fouling.

awktalk
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM

I have yet to give up hope on the guy. Reason being, he has yet to find enough consistent minutes on a game to game basis to find a comfortable rhythm on the court.

Keep dreaming. His outing against the Lakers on Dec 28th is why Pop DNP-CD'd him for so many games after that. He was horrible. He was abused inside. Had 4 fouls in 7 minutes. Missed both his shots. Was 2-4 from the line. If we have any chance to win tonight, it will be with Tiago stapled to the end of the bench.

yavozerb
02-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Lets here it for the #1 3 pt shooter in the NBA at 50%. All he's done is hit 71 out of 140 shots from beyond the arc and hit some huge shots late in games for the spurs to keep this dream season rolling.

underdawg
02-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Lets here it for the #1 3 pt shooter in the NBA at 50%. All he's done is hit 71 out of 140 shots from beyond the arc and hit some huge shots late in games for the spurs to keep this dream season rolling.

#1 3 pt percentage, but #25 for 3 pointers made per game just behind Jefferson - not bad though for 22 minutes per game.