PDA

View Full Version : Snow in SA?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
While I was busy bitching about the bitter cold and foot of snow I'm about to get in NM, Shelly pointed out that San Antonio might get some snow this week too:

CLOUDS WILL BE ON THE INCREASE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY IN ADVANCE
OF THE NEXT UPPER LEVEL TROUGH...A CLOSED LOW. THE MEDIUM RANGE
MODEL SOLUTIONS HAVE TRENDED TOWARD A COLDER LOW AND FURTHER SOUTH
WITH EACH RUN. THE ECMWF AND GEM HAVE SHOWN SOME RUN-TO-RUN
CONSISTENCY WITH THE LOW FURTHER SOUTH AND MORE CLOSED THAN THE
GFS. WITH A COLD ARCTIC AIRMASS (-10C TO -3C AT 850MB) IN PLACE
AND AN APPROACHING 548DAM 500MB CLOSED LOW ON THURSDAY INTO
FRIDAY...WE`VE ADDED CHANCES FOR SNOW TO THE FORECAST. FORECAST
SOUNDINGS FOR THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY SHOW THE ENTIRE COLUMN
BELOW 0C...SO THE PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL DEFINITELY BE SNOW. THE
ONLY QUESTION IS MOISTURE AVAILABILITY. THE FRONTAL LAYER WILL BE
EXTREMELY DRY WITH SURFACE DEWPOINT TEMPERATURES IN THE SINGLE
DIGITS. AT THIS TIME...WE`RE FORECASTING LIGHT SNOW AND WILL WAIT
BEFORE TAKING A STAB AT ACCUMULATIONS. IF A MOISTURE TAP WERE TO
DEVELOP...SNOW WOULD ACCUMULATE EFFICIENTLY (LITTLE MELTING) AFTER
SEVERAL DAYS OF TEMPERATURES IN THE TEENS TO 30S.

Still a few days away and its always touch and go with stuff in San Antonio but its a chance.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Basically, there will be no moisture with the front down near the surface so what you want to see is more clouds extending from the Pacific over Mexico and into South Texas in order to provide the moisture for the snow.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/ECI8.JPG

If the circulation around the low pressure is strong enough it will develop that situation. If.

AnthonyM
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I doubt it.

Everytime the forecast says there may be snow in SA, it usually doesn't happen, or if it does it's just flurries.

Would be cool though.

CosmicCowboy
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, we have a chance Thursday/Friday. Just depends how much moisture gets sucked in from the West.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
We're getting the same system here on Tuesday-Wednesday (Expecting 6 inches or so from it at this time) and its supposed to get stronger as it moves east, but its also going to be too far north unless it moves way south east.

There is definitely some strong cold air pushing south. Temps on the other side of the mountains here will be close to negative 20 and even though the mountains block the cold air we're going to see -5 or so.

The cold air and dynamics will be in place but now you need the moisture.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 04:09 PM
It seems like these threads are started every winter...

Snow is overrated. You guys can have all the shit that just pounded the whole mid-atlantic/northeast.

CosmicCowboy
01-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Rodeo weather

Blake
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Snow is overrated. You guys can have all the shit that just pounded the whole mid-atlantic/northeast.

the thing about snow in San Antonio is that we all freak out and the whole town shuts down.

It's fuckin awesome.

MannyIsGod

The first day I fell on my ass because I slipped on an ice patch made by snow my love affair with it was over. I'm so ready for spring its not even funny.

That being said, for whatever reason the idea that SA might be getting snow excites me as a weather nerd.

jeebus
A good 6 inches of snow will weed out the terrible drivers and texting teens. I hope it snows a good amount.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
6 inches? Not likely. More like 1-2 and that would be huge.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Last I heard we're supposed to get 12"-15" in the next 48 hours.

Which I really don't mind, except it's going to come with 20-30 mph winds.

That's not a fun combo.

JudynTX
the thing about snow in San Antonio is that we all freak out and the whole town shuts down.

It's fuckin awesome.

:lol

lefty
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
It's minus 25 degrees here (Celsius)

Fuck.....................

jeebus
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I know, but it's still fun to dream. 2 inches would be enough to cover everything and then melt in 30 minutes.

BlackSwordsMan
01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I've never seen snow before T__T

jeebus
01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
I've never seen snow before T__T
It's cold, it's white and it becomes a nuisance after 5 mins or so.

baseline bum
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1739/lottery.gif

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
The first day I fell on my ass because I slipped on an ice patch made by snow my love affair with it was over. I'm so ready for spring its not even funny.

That being said, for whatever reason the idea that SA might be getting snow excites me as a weather nerd.
Yeah I know weather gets you off...and yes I understand the context, just was giving my 2 cents. I hate winter, it blows. I actually do value the area I live in because having very clear and distinct 4 seasons is cool..it's one of those things that I currently would love to do without, but would most likely miss if I were removed for too many years. San Diego or Miami would be cool for a while, until I get sick of only having one type of day.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
A good 6 inches of snow will weed out the terrible drivers and texting teens. I hope it snows a good amount.
From my experience...false. Driving after big snow storms always results in tons of accidents.

Especially now that I consider it's San Antonio...even way more false. The fact that you guys are not used to snow, and therefore never have to drive in it, would likely result in tons of accidents. Even up here, a lot of people take turns and drive at the same speeds that they would any other day. This is suicidal.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM

It's fuckin awesome.

Yeah, that's true :lol

Same would happen with a friend that went to Clemson...he says when any amount of snow falls, classes are guaranteed canceled basically the next day simply because no one even has shovels down there or any snow-related equipment.

Compared to my school, it can and does snow a foot in one night, getting tons of snow overnight, and yet classes are pretty much guaranteed to not be canceled. I'm a junior, and I've never had a weather-related day off in college.

jeebus
01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
From my experience...false. Driving after big snow storms always results in tons of accidents.

Especially now that I consider it's San Antonio...even way more false. The fact that you guys are not used to snow, and therefore never have to drive in it, would likely result in tons of accidents. Even up here, a lot of people take turns and drive at the same speeds that they would any other day. This is suicidal.
That's what I'm saying! You'll have the retards who think 4 wheel drive means they can't slide and can't drive period and then you'll have the teens who continue to drive like they always do. Meanwhile, the normal people will know not to drive and stay home, drinking hot chocolate while giggling at the news.

jeebus
01-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah I know weather gets you off...and yes I understand the context, just was giving my 2 cents. I hate winter, it blows. I actually do value the area I live in because having very clear and distinct 4 seasons is cool..it's one of those things that I currently would love to do without, but would most likely miss if I were removed for too many years. San Diego or Miami would be cool for a while, until I get sick of only having one type of day.
That's what I don't understand about SA. it's balls hot here 9 months out of the year, people despise it... and when "winter" finally rolls around, people complain about it being too cold and want warm weather. It's like the city is filled with a bunch of retards. I love 4 seasons myself too. I lived in Idaho for 4 years and there are SUPER distinct seasons. 100 degree days in the summer(with nice, cool nights), a chilly fall, ice cold winter and a nice warm spring. If Idaho wasn't such a shitastic state, that'd be the perfect place to live.

Dr. Gonzo
01-31-2011, 04:42 PM

It's fuckin awesome.

Free paid day off FTW!!

I'm going to bow towards the East and pray to Allah to bring snow to us infidels.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
That's what I'm saying! You'll have the retards who think 4 wheel drive means they can't slide and can't drive period and then you'll have the teens who continue to drive like they always do. Meanwhile, the normal people will know not to drive and stay home, drinking hot chocolate while giggling at the news.

Ah...ok. Your statement could have been interpreted either way. I thought you were saying the snow will weed out the terrible drivers, meaning they will stay home because a. they know they're terrible, or b. because they're a dangerous teen who lives at parents place and parents pay most of the car-related expenses and all expenses for that matter meaning..."you're not driving tonight, stay your ass in"

I guess now we both know that neither of these things really happen in real life, at least not extensively enough.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
That's what I don't understand about SA. it's balls hot here 9 months out of the year, people despise it... and when "winter" finally rolls around, people complain about it being too cold and want warm weather. It's like the city is filled with a bunch of retards. I love 4 seasons myself too. I lived in Idaho for 4 years and there are SUPER distinct seasons. 100 degree days in the summer(with nice, cool nights), a chilly fall, ice cold winter and a nice warm spring. If Idaho wasn't such a shitastic state, that'd be the perfect place to live.
Yeah that doesn't make much sense, but San Antonio is definitely one city I do NOT want to live in. Quite frankly, I never want to live in Texas period due to the heat, because I hate extreme heat more than I hate extreme cold.

And from your description of Idaho, seems pretty similar to where I live.

boutons_deux
01-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks the long hours of overnight 20s (rather than a quick) over 3 nights are again gonna kill a lot of palm trees, like Jan 2010 did.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
VERY COLD AND BLUSTERY WEDNESDAY WITH PARTS OF THE HILL COUNTRY
AND FAR NRN COUNTIES ONLY SEEING HIGHS NEAR FREEZING AND 30S
ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE AREA. A HARD FREEZE ALL AREAS WEDNESDAY
NIGHT...AND VERY COLD AGAIN THURSDAY AS CLOUDS INCREASES IN
RESPONSE TO THE APPROACHING THE UPPER LOW OVER NRN MEXICO. GFS A
BIT FURTHER NE WITH THE UPPER LOW AS IT MOVES ACROSS TX THAN THE
EITHER THE DGEX OR ECMWF...BUT QPF AMOUNTS SOMEWHAT SIMILAR(LIGHT)
...ALTHOUGH THE ECMWF DOES KEEP PCPN INTO FRI AFTERNOON DUE TO THE
UPPER LOW MOVING SLOWLY ACROSS S CENTRAL TX AND THE POTENTIAL FOR
WRAP-AROUND PRECIPITATION. DEEP DRY SUBFREEZING LAYER SHOULD
RESULT IN PRECIPITATION BEING ALL SNOW...AND VERY DRY AIR AND COLD
SURFACE WILL BE VERY FAVORABLE FOR ALLOWING ANY SNOW THAT DOES
FALL TO STICK. STILL A LITTLE FAR OUT SNOW AMOUNTS...HOWEVER WITH
AN AVERAGE 10 TO 1 RATIO OF SNOW TO RAIN...THERE WOULD BE A
POTENTIAL FOR AVERAGE SNOW AMOUNTS IN THE ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF
INCH RANGE MAINLY ACROSS THE SERN COUNTIES.

The Reckoning
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
ive driven through NM before... i really liked las vegas. everything else was a big MEH. traffic cops were the worst ive ever seen anywhere. cop who pulled over my buddy gave him a reckless driving ticket for speeding - citing a "visual."

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
NM is a pretty place but otherwise pretty much sucks.

baseline bum
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
ive driven through NM before... i really liked las vegas. everything else was a big MEH. traffic cops were the worst ive ever seen anywhere. cop who pulled over my buddy gave him a reckless driving ticket for speeding - citing a "visual."

I couldn't believe how many cops I saw on I-40 in New Mexico driving back from Vegas a few months ago. You'd literally see one every 3 or 4 minutes through the whole fucking state.

jeebus
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah that doesn't make much sense, but San Antonio is definitely one city I do NOT want to live in. Quite frankly, I never want to live in Texas period due to the heat, because I hate extreme heat more than I hate extreme cold.

And from your description of Idaho, seems pretty similar to where I live.
I know, I hate this city. I'm only here for a couple years, hopefully. I feel bad for the people who have been here their whole life and they think they have it good. It's just a garbage city to live in, weather-wise.

Best thing about Idaho were the summer nights. Very cool, very nice weather. Just way too windy.

Shelly
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
The wind chills are supposed to be in the single digits. I think Northside should call off school!

jeebus
01-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Call off school for being cold? lol

Shelly
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Sarcasm is lost on so many...

AnthonyM
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Well, when you write it out like that it looks stupid, but that's pretty much what SA does.

Any sign of ice on the ground or our cars and you can bet schools, at the very least, will start at later times :lol

Shelly
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Actually, Ohio did call of school for a few days a few years ago because it was minus something degrees.

jeebus
01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, when you write it out like that it looks stupid, but that's pretty much what SA does.

Any sign of ice on the ground or our cars and you can bet schools, at the very least, will start at later times :lol
I remember back in '03 or so, when I was in college, there had been a mist or something earlier and it had frozen, not even enough to make you spin out if you had slicks on your tires. yet they shut down the schools that day, which was fine by me. :lol Anyways, I still went to school in high school when it was teens out. All they did was cancel anything outdoorsy.

Shelly, don't be so serious. Sarcasm doesn't work well in typing.

manufan10
01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

manufan10
01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Shelly
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I wasn't being serious!

Moving on...

easjer
01-31-2011, 07:10 PM
There's been talk of snow in the atmosphere even over here. But mostly, cold rain. Bah. I don't mind the cold weather, I'm just tired of the shifts in weather.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Started snowing here about 20 minutes ago and already have over an inch. Coming down pretty damn hard and its windy as hell too.

I'll take pictures and send them to you so you get your snow, Shelly. :lol

scott
01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
F that snow nonsense, I'm outside grillin' tonight!

MannyIsGod
01-31-2011, 07:34 PM
My hate for you grows daily.

Shelly
01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Manny!

SourCandy
01-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Dam some of yall are sure wet over snow.

The Reckoning
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Dam some of yall are sure wet over snow.

:nope

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
EmanuelEsDios is probably jerking right now

EricB
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
F that snow nonsense, I'm outside grillin' tonight!

Sense
01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
weather.com and accuweather.com say... not happening Manny

TMTTRIO
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
It never snows in San Antonio and I don't count on it doing anything. In the first place we barely get much of precipitation around here anyways. I guess the weather people have nothing else really exciting to talk about.

Dr. Gonzo
01-31-2011, 11:33 PM
I just got snow flurries at my place.

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I just got snow flurries at my place.
They haven't left mine all winter:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8516/45625670.jpg
:toast

BruceBowenFan
02-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Cold front just came in and that wind sure was loud.

benefactor
02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
It's blowing in here too. Radar is showing some nasty precip in Dallas right now. It was 55 degrees when I left my house just before 5am and now it's 35. Crazy.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Fuck your cold front. I just walked uphill for about a mile in 11 degrees. Pretty sure I get to go downhill when I come back though.

easjer
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Hell, that's not how it works, Manny. It's uphill BOTH ways and you damn well better be barefoot!

Seriously though, the wind woke me up. It was damn strong. Fortunately seems to have moved out before we have to leave for work. That's good because I wasn't looking forward to that drive.

CubanMustGo
02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
We got about 20 sleet pellets in NW Austin. Now it's just cold (27) and windier than heck.

They're sticking with the 30% light snow forecast for Thursday night up here, but it looks like Houston, like last year, will have a much better chance for any significant snowfall.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I wonder if the same mechanics that work with lake effect snow in would work with a cold air mass and wind coming off of the bay near Houston. That will be kind of interesting to take a look at.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
NWS has upped it to 40% chance of snow on Thursday night. That seems ballsy as hell over 48 hours away from the event given that its San Antonio.

AFTER A FEW BRUTALLY COLD DAYS...SNOW CHANCES ENTER THE FORECAST
THURSDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY AS AN UPPER LOW APPROACHES
FROM THE WEST AND MOVES OVER CENTRAL TEXAS. THE 00Z ECMWF AND GEM
SOLUTIONS ARE FAVORED OVER THE GFS40 WITH THE UPPER LOW DUE TO
EXCELLENT RUN-TO-RUN CONSISTENCY FROM THOSE MODELS. THOSE
SOLUTIONS AND OUR FORECAST SHOW INCREASING CHANCES FOR SNOW FROM
WEST TO EAST ACROSS OUR AREA...WITH THE BEST CHANCES CLOSER TO THE
COAST (SIMILAR TO THE DECEMBER 23/24, 2004 EVENT). WE`RE
FORECASTING POTENTIAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF NEAR ONE HALF INCH
ALONG THE I-35 CORRIDOR AND UP TO 2 INCHES NEAR HALLETTSVILLE.
LIGHT SNOW WITH LITTLE TO NO ACCUMULATION CAN BE EXPECTED WEST OF
I-35. THESE AMOUNTS ARE CONDITIONAL ON SNOW OCCURRING OF
COURSE...BUT OUR CHANCES STILL ARE NOT THAT HIGH ALONG THE I-35
CORRIDOR...RANGING FROM 30-40 PERCENT THURSDAY NIGHT. IN
ADDITION...MOISTURE IS STILL A LIMITING FACTOR IN THIS SNOW
FORECAST.

I think the GEM is one of the worst models they use so I'm surprised to see them citing it in 2 discussions. The Euro is one of the top 2 maybe even the best so that bodes well.

sa_butta
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Doesn't count unless there is accumilated snow on the Alamo...LOL
I highly doubt there is any signifigant snowfall here...Likely to be flurries or a rain/sleet mix....If there is to be any snowfall it will likely be north of the city...

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.photocrati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/jn_07-doggie-in-window-500x333.jpg

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Snow day here in dallas. Not really snowing but the sleet is sticking. 16 now and it's not getting any warmer all day. We're getting above freezing on Friday.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
guitardude would like it up here. it's allllllllllllllllllll white outside. :tu

Shelly
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.photocrati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/jn_07-doggie-in-window-500x333.jpg

That looks like my dog, who is always like that in the window!!

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
that's all of SA right now :lol

SpursWoman
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM

I thought that was Blondie. :lol

easjer
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Manny- odds on us seeing snow out here Thurs/Fri? Of any significance? I'd love some like we got last year; big thick flakes falling gently down, sticking in some places (there was snow on my car!). It was a lot of fun.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Easjer, NWS says 50-60%. You guys seem to be favored most of the time because easy access to moisture. I actually do want to see if the bay waters act as the lakes up north do because the water in there has to be 40-50 degrees.

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
guitardude would like it up here. it's allllllllllllllllllll white outside. :tu

He'd probably like it in most places in this country right now...the whole damn country got pounded by snow it seems.

DPG21920
02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Have about 1-2 inches of thick ice in Dallas everywhere by where I live.

Shelly
02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
that's all of SA right now :lol

No--I meant it looks like the same type of dog (mutt)!

<<<<

http://i51.tinypic.com/14o3ak8.jpg

easjer
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Easjer, NWS says 50-60%. You guys seem to be favored most of the time because easy access to moisture. I actually do want to see if the bay waters act as the lakes up north do because the water in there has to be 40-50 degrees.

Would that be atmospheric or actually have a chance of falling/sticking?

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Definitely a chance of sticking.

easjer
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Definitely a chance of sticking.

I'm quite excited, but people in 1 of my departments are horrified. I'd forgotten Friday is one of the biggest fundraising events of the year. . .

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
No--I meant it looks like the same type of dog (mutt)!

<<<<

http://i51.tinypic.com/14o3ak8.jpg

Is that a Pomeranian?

lebomb
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.hahnsoft.com/images/lonely_dog.jpg

desflood
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Is that a Pomeranian?
Looks like a rat terrier.

I got my chance to brag this morning. An employee approached me in the grocery store restroom and asked if I was freezing yet. I told her, "Ma'am, I'm from The North. This isn't cold." :lol

Shelly
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
My dog?

How do you get Pomeranian and Rat Terrier?

She's 100% pure Mutt and bigger than both of those dogs!

lebomb
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
My dog?

I think its a bullshit.................part bulldog and part shitzu.

desflood
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
My dog?

Sorry, I'm having a stupid day.:(

Meant to say Glen Terrier:

http://i51.tinypic.com/hrla9w.jpg

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Light snow accumulations appear likely for areas along and east of
i-35...with 1 to 2 inches still looking reasonable based on good
model agreement. The center of the upper low is expected to track
right into south central texas thursday nght and open up into a more
open trough as it passes through friday. This combined with the
low amounts of moisture available should suggest storm totals
below 3 inches with the higher totals generally se of our forecast
area. The model agreement allows me to trim down some of the
timing with the best accumulations expected to occur from 06z to
12z friday. Cold air left behind the frozen precip has
temperatures modified below the gfs guidance for friday.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Light snow accumulations appear likely for areas along and east of
i-35...with 1 to 2 inches still looking reasonable based on good
model agreement. The center of the upper low is expected to track
right into south central texas thursday nght and open up into a more
open trough as it passes through friday. This combined with the
low amounts of moisture available should suggest storm totals
below 3 inches with the higher totals generally se of our forecast
area. The model agreement allows me to trim down some of the
timing with the best accumulations expected to occur from 06z to
12z friday. Cold air left behind the frozen precip has
temperatures modified below the gfs guidance for friday.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Classes cancelled. According to Weather Channel, it feels like -1 degrees out right now. My view from my dorm at UNT.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs796.ash1/168639_497735096924_634551924_6315021_3867534_n.jp g

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-01-2011, 05:47 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs046.snc6/167623_497735206924_634551924_6315024_4445369_n.jp g
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs033.snc6/166387_497735391924_634551924_6315026_1632021_n.jp g

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Low tomorrow night is going to be -13. WHAT THE FUCK. I have to go out in that shit early Thursday morning.

:(

No fucking way I live.

jeebus
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Low tomorrow night is going to be -13. WHAT THE FUCK. I have to go out in that shit early Thursday morning.

No fucking way I live.
:lol Where do you live?

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
New Mexico. God damn I miss San Antonio. Fuck all of you complaining about your 30 degrees.

jeebus
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm not complaining, I miss cold weather. I lived in Idaho, Northern Japan and Utah for 6 years. 30 degrees is mild. Too many pussies live in this city.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
To be fair, they're just not used to it. You bring some one from up north down when its 100 + 80% humidity and they die. Shit, Chicago has a heat wave and those fuckers start dropping like flies.

But yeah, 30 fucking degrees sounds nice as hell right about now.

jeebus
02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
That is true, but tbh there's only so much you can take off before it becomes indecent. When it gets cold, just start dressing in layers and you'll be fine. I feel bad for the poor fuckers who have to work outside in negative degree weather. I did that shit in the air force and I never wanna do it again.

RandomGuy
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM

No fucking way I live.

Wah. :cry

I went home to Wyoming for leave in '91 and it was -10F when I stepped off the puddle jumper at 2pm on a sunny day, and never made above zero the entire time I was home to see my parents. I was glad to get back to upstate Massachussetts where it was a balmy 10F. :lol

(edit)
After 20+ years, now I am a total south texas weenie when it comes to the cold.

easjer
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Manny - please recap/update situation for Houston? I trust you way more than any of the local weather people.

RandomGuy
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
To be fair, they're just not used to it. You bring some one from up north down when its 100 + 80% humidity and they die. Shit, Chicago has a heat wave and those fuckers start dropping like flies.

But yeah, 30 fucking degrees sounds nice as hell right about now.

My parents won't visit in the summer, and my Texas wife refuses to visit them in the winter.... :lol

MannyIsGod
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Easjer still looking at a few inches Thursday night / Friday morning.

baseline bum
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
My parents won't visit in the summer, and my Texas wife refuses to visit them in the winter.... :lol

Do you have a Wyoming wife too?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
The roads in Dallas are covered in like 3 inches of ICE.

It really makes me hate people all the more when I see how stupid they drive in this shit. There's really not much to it.
Brakes are not your friend.
Don't turn away from the skid, turn into it slightly.
Velocity is your friend.

I saw so many dumb fuckheads slowing to a near stop at the base of hills and shit....I'm like WTF you stupid asshole you're creating more hazards.

On the way to work today I saw a cop car stopped in the middle of the road, who was helping a car that was stalled on the left....all at the base of a hill. It's like, wow way to earn the nobel prize for dumb fuckheadedness by stopping your police car in the middle of the road at the base of a hill, so all us who CAN drive have to slow down and lose our speed up a fucking iced hill.

Saw pandemonium near my apartments, 4 cars were stuck in random positions at the dip in between two slight inclines. I had to drive in the wrong side of the median to get home. Dumbasses were probably going 3 MPH, and wondering why they got stuck in the slick ice. ROFL to them, i saidd

/rant

jeebus
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
The roads in Dallas are covered in like 3 inches of ICE.

It really makes me hate people all the more when I see how stupid they drive in this shit. There's really not much to it.
Brakes are not your friend.
Don't turn away from the skid, turn into it slightly.
Velocity is your friend.

I saw so many dumb fuckheads slowing to a near stop at the base of hills and shit....I'm like WTF you stupid asshole you're creating more hazards.

On the way to work today I saw a cop car stopped in the middle of the road, who was helping a car that was stalled on the left....all at the base of a hill. It's like, wow way to earn the nobel prize for dumb fuckheadedness by stopping your police car in the middle of the road at the base of a hill, so all us who CAN drive have to slow down and lose our speed up a fucking iced hill.

Saw pandemonium near my apartments, 4 cars were stuck in random positions at the dip in between two slight inclines. I had to drive in the wrong side of the median to get home. Dumbasses were probably going 3 MPH, and wondering why they got stuck in the slick ice. ROFL to them, i saidd

/rant
"But I got 4 wheel drive, I can drive anywhere and in any condition and it won't faze me!"

Cant_Be_Faded
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I drive a 12 year old camry and managed just fine. I saw some fucker in a truck that did a 180 on the highway and went backwards to get into an exit and get off. Then he went like 15 MPH on the feeder, all while on his phone.

The Reckoning
02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I drive a 12 year old camry and managed just fine. I saw some fucker in a truck that did a 180 on the highway and went backwards to get into an exit and get off. Then he went like 15 MPH on the feeder, all while on his phone.

damn dude i didnt know trucks went that fast

Cant_Be_Faded
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
a 180 turn

he spun out, it was like mario kart

The Reckoning
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
wait wait...

ahh now i get it.

Das Texan
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
a 180 turn

he spun out, it was like mario kart

red or green shell?

The Reckoning
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Dallas, Dallas, bo-ballas
Banana-fana fo-phallus
Fee-fi-mo-mallas
Dallas!

so the dude slipped on a banana, did a 180 turn, backed up on a freeway to take an exit...then did a cooldown victory lap on the feeder?

all while talking on his cell phone??

impressive

jeebus
02-01-2011, 07:02 PM
red or green shell?
I'll betcha it was one of those bastard blue shells.

Shelly
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
desflood--I would say she definitely has some of that dog in her. Mine dog is a little smaller
(30#) and more wirey. Cute dog!

It's hard to believe it was 50* warmer yesterday

Shelly
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
hmmm...

http://www.facebook.com/KSAT12Weather

Das Texan
02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I will eat my hat if we get any measurable snow in San Antonio.

mrsmaalox
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Snow is waaay overrated. I live in southern Texas now for a reason; if I ever see snow again it will be too soon :lol

baseline bum
02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I will eat my hat if we get any measurable snow in San Antonio.

OK, but would you eat his hat?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Do7ChqLPvEI/S-Ry1J2QzbI/AAAAAAAAAg8/jR1auRgZE0c/s320/176935.jpg

baseline bum
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
hmmm...

http://www.facebook.com/KSAT12Weather

:lol What a crock

baseline bum
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Seriously, I'd bet that the Cavaliers will win a title before San Antonio gets so much as 3" of snow.

Shelly
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Don't rain on our parade, Baseline!!!! :(

baseline bum
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Don't rain on our parade, Baseline!!!! :(

If you want snow, just take the tram up Mount San Jacinto next time you're in SoCal in the winter. Nothing like going uphill both ways up an 11,000 foot mountain in 3 feet of snow.

Wild Cobra
02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Thank God for Global Warming, or else it would really be cold!

CubanMustGo
02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Seriously, I'd bet that the Cavaliers will win a title before San Antonio gets so much as 3" of snow.

Short memory?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Photos-San-Antonios-record-snowfall-in-1985/4-fTUzYkrEWjcICZ0E-iRQ.cspx

It was 26 years ago when San Antonio had a record snow event.

Between January 11th and January 13th of 1985, 13.5 inches of snow fell in the San Antonio area. The event exceeded the previous 24-hour record of 5 inches back in January of 1926.

CubanMustGo
02-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Thank God for Global Warming, or else it would really be cold!

Thank God for ppl like WC who refuse to acknowledge the difference between isolated weather events and long-term climate changes.

baseline bum
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Short memory?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Photos-San-Antonios-record-snowfall-in-1985/4-fTUzYkrEWjcICZ0E-iRQ.cspx

It was 26 years ago when San Antonio had a record snow event.

Between January 11th and January 13th of 1985, 13.5 inches of snow fell in the San Antonio area. The event exceeded the previous 24-hour record of 5 inches back in January of 1926.

I think the Cavs can win one in the next 30 years.

baseline bum
02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Thank God for ppl like WC who refuse to acknowledge the difference between isolated weather events and long-term climate changes.

Don't mind the sarcastic attention whore. Dittoheads can't help parroting Rush Limbaugh in any conversation.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-02-2011, 10:10 AM
-6 here.

easjer
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Was in the teens around Houston this morning. I can't recall ever seeing that (not saying it's never happened, but not so that it intruded on my consciousness).

Really, really hoping they play it safe and smart and just cancel things if we get precipitation Thursday night as predicted. Really, really hope.

desflood
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I just love how CPS picks one of the coldest days of the year to impose temporary periods of no heat upon the city. Is this happening in the rich neighborhoods too, or just to us peons? And will CPS turn off the power in their own office for 15 minutes today? :rolleyes

easjer
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I just love how CPS picks one of the coldest days of the year to impose temporary periods of no heat upon the city. Is this happening in the rich neighborhoods too, or just to us peons? And will CPS turn off the power in their own office for 15 minutes today? :rolleyes

It's a state mandate from the state's power supplier, ERCOT. Only essential things like hospitals and nursing homes aren't being turned off. Out here, it created massive traffic problems and HISD had to temporarily close several schools that didn't have generators and redirect the students to other schools.

ERCOT is apparently afraid that the increase in electricity because of heating will be too big a drain on systems. They're urging conservation of electricity and using the rolling blackouts to manage the spike in demand.

desflood
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Ah, okay. Nobody I talked to knew whether it was a state-wide thing or just within the city. Thanks for the info.

easjer
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Either way, it's a massive pain in the ass! I'm glad my work has its own power plant. It's very unfortunate for people relying on electricity to heat their homes.

jeebus
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
One cold day and the people in town go nuts and put their heater on 80. Mine's been on 68 and I'm comfy.

CubanMustGo
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Either way, it's a massive pain in the ass! I'm glad my work has its own power plant. It's very unfortunate for people relying on electricity to heat their homes.

Many people who have gas are impacted since the blowers are electric. Power gets shut off, furnace gets shut down. If you have an old style furnace (without fans pushing heated air around), you're in good shape.

easjer
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Good point - we're totally electric, but my area wasn't shut down before I left. My pets are going to be just fine for the short time it may be shut off (though it better not happen during my tv show tonight. . .).

We keep it pretty low too, because the upstairs gets boiling without efficiently heating the downstairs, so it's a waste of energy and money to put it over 65 in the winter.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
The rolling brownouts is bad. How the fuck is that even happening? I can't imagine demand spiking more than it takes to cool the entire fucking state in July/August. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Still -3 here. Forecasting a balmy high of 5. Still snowing lightly this morning but nothing major. Road Crews must have gone on vacation because nothing is plowed this morning at all. Its pretty ridiculous.

jeebus
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
The rolling brownouts is bad. How the fuck is that even happening? I can't imagine demand spiking more than it takes to cool the entire fucking state in July/August. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
From what I read, they were overhauling a lot of the power plants so they're not putting out their max potential. Makes sense to do it now than during the ass heat of summer.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
From what I read, they were overhauling a lot of the power plants so they're not putting out their max potential. Makes sense to do it now than during the ass heat of summer.

That would make more sense. I still wonder if they could have spread the maintenance out. Biggest storm in quite some time to hit the country and rolling brownouts? Just really shitty.

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
fuck everyone who has the day off

This place is unreal, last night the roads were covered in ice. I saw several people attempting to walk up a hill, but end up on their ass and then sliding backwards on all fours or on their asses 15-30 feet. One of these people was a friend :lol . This was last night, LATE.

I will never get a day off

JudynTX
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Is it here yet?

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes, Judy. Its snowing everywhere in San Antonio right now.

Ginofan
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, Judy. Its snowing everywhere in San Antonio right now.

We've decided to close our clinic on Friday due to the predicted snow and I was already taking Monday off...soo 4 day weekend for me :downspin:

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Screw you homo. I gotta work Friday and Monday PLUS Saturday. 1 1/2 day weekend! :(

baseline bum
02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Screw you homo. I gotta work Friday and Monday PLUS Saturday. 1 1/2 day weekend! :(

What's it like going uphill both ways through unplowed snow at 8000 feet on a bike?

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM

You work?

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Dude my bike hasn't been used in months. Once the highs were below 50 I stopped using it. I miss it so much. There are some hardcore mfers here that always ride though. I am in awe.

And they actually plow the bike paths!! I guess they have this thing like a bobcat that goes on those multiuse paths and clears them. They are better maintained than the roads! :lol

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
You work?

I'm working right now!

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow.

Mixability
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
It's a state mandate from the state's power supplier, ERCOT. Only essential things like hospitals and nursing homes aren't being turned off. Out here, it created massive traffic problems and HISD had to temporarily close several schools that didn't have generators and redirect the students to other schools.

ERCOT is apparently afraid that the increase in electricity because of heating will be too big a drain on systems. They're urging conservation of electricity and using the rolling blackouts to manage the spike in demand.

And don't forget other essentials, like the Super Bowl people in Dallas, they're exempt from the cutoff too. :rolleyes

Viva Las Espuelas
02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
It's not only in Dallas. I believe Dallas had the least of the big events planned. The bulk of it is in Arlington and Ft Worth.

Shelly
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
wrong thread!

JudynTX
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
School closings for Friday being announced. Goliad ISD.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Idiots. The NWS forecast didn't change much and this was definitely expected several days out. Energy companies are some of the biggest consumers of meteorological services so this is pretty much inexcusable. ERCOT/CPS/all others in the grid dropped the ball big time.

Everytime there is an ice storm you've got to be prepared because the first things to go are the power lines. They get weighed down big time and snap fairly quickly.

SpursWoman
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
We may or may not see even a flurry, but it's still cute to see the little snowflake on the Android weather app I use. :spin

And then the high on Sunday 71*. WTF?

JudynTX
02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
1-hpfj03--s

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
1-hpfj03--s

I bet that video makes you reminisce about your late 30's.

JudynTX
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I bet that video makes you reminisce about your late 30's.

Try again, I was in my early 20's.

CubanMustGo
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Winter storm watch posted for San Antonio. 1" snow possible Thursday night (50% chance).

Thursday night: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 23. North northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=San+Antonio&state=TX&site=EWX&textField1=29.4577&textField2=-98.5054&e=1

MannyIsGod
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
THIS WEAK OVERRUNNING PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE THURSDAY
WITH MODELS SHOWING ENOUGH ISENTROPIC LIFT TO PRODUCE LIGHT
MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS OVER THE COASTAL BEND BY
AFTERNOON. A WINTER STORM WATCH WAS POSTED STARTING AT 18Z THU AS
ANY MEASUABLE AMOUNT OF PRECIP WOULD BE CAPABLE OF STICKING TO
MOSTLY FROZEN SOILS AND ELEVATED SURFACES. HIGHEST SNOWFALL
CHANCES ARE EXPECTED LATE THURSDAY NIGHT WITH AREAS OF 1 TO 3
INCHES POSSIBLE AND THE HIGHEST TOTALS GENERALLY EXPECTED EAST OF
A LEXINGTON TO KENEDY LINE. AROUND ONE INCH IS ANTICIPATED IN THE
DRIER AIR REGIME ABOVE THE METRO CITIES...WHICH SHOULD STILL BE
SUFFICIENT TO CREATE SIGNIFICANT TRAFFIC DISRUPTIONS. THE MIDDAY
WINDS FRIDAY SHOULD ERODE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FROM THE WEST AND
PUSH WESTERN AREAS TO WELL ABOVE FREEZING BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
AREAS TO THE EAST COULD POTENTIALLY STAY NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING
FRIDAY IF SUFFICIENT ACCUMULATIONS OCCUR. THE FORECAST ASSUMES
ENOUGH RECOVERY FOR ALL AREAS TO CLIMB ABOVE FREEZING FRIDAY
AFTERNOON IF ONLY BRIEFLY.

Seeing a winter storm watch for SA is pretty noteworthy.

Ginofan
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Sucks to be you! haha.

Yeah went to class today and apparently I'm in a class full of nerds because they REQUESTED that our online study lecture for our test be Sunday night at 6pm...wtf! I don't think they even know what the Superbowl is, let alone know that people have gtgs and have fun for this thing, ugh!

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Gonna happen tomorrow night. Book it. snow/sleet.

You guys without 4 wheel drive that don't know how to drive in it PLEASE stay the fuck home Friday morning.

easjer
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM

You guys without 4 wheel drive that don't know how to drive in it PLEASE stay the fuck home Friday morning.

Hey, if you'd like to pass that on to TPTB at my place of work, that'd be fantastic, because I'm not sure they've gotten the memo (the same people who didn't release us until after noon the day before Hurricane Ike hit and made us return to work before power was restored, gas was available or roads were cleared of debris. So. . . yeah)/

jaffies
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Outside my apartment right now:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7500/imag0103n.jpg

jeebus
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM

Only thing 4 wheel drive guarantees is that all your wheels will be spinning, not just 2...unless it's off the pavement, then 4 wheel drive is a must.

fraga
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
So what's the call for tonight....yes...no...60%....20%...

RandomGuy
02-03-2011, 01:00 PM

{picture of huge snowdrift}

Looks a bit like the outside of an Igloo. Be sort of fun to hollow it out with shovel.

RandomGuy
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
So what's the call for tonight....yes...no...60%....20%...

50% according to Wunderground.com, last I checked.

http://www.ksat.com/2011/0203/26724075_640X432.jpg

IN my experience anytime a weather dork says the percipitation percentage is more than 30% or so, you can bet you will see it.

Let the Great Texas Snow Freakout of 2011 begin.

Sense
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
70% chance of snow the day I decide to take a trip to Austin :| DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
50% according to Wunderground.com, last I checked.

http://www.ksat.com/2011/0203/26724075_640X432.jpg

IN my experience anytime a weather dork says the percipitation percentage is more than 30% or so, you can bet you will see it.

Let the Great Texas Snow Freakout of 2011 begin.

We've only been waiting 26 years. :D

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
We've only been waiting 26 years. :D

Not quite the foot of snow the city had then. At least it's cold enough to not be fucking worthless sleet though.

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Not quite the foot of snow the city had then. At least it's cold enough to not be fucking worthless sleet though.

At this point BB, I'll take any measurement of snow. :lol If it covers my grass, I'll be happy.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
My kids have never seen it ... so I hope they get a chance to make at least one good snowball to chunk at User's head. :lol

AnthonyM
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
So, if SA does see snow, around what time is it possible?

Because, I want to go out for the Spurs game with some friends, but I don't know how much I trust any of us driving in the event that snow does happen tonight...

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
My kids have never seen it ... so I hope they get a chance to make at least one good snowball to chunk at User's head. :lol

Any word from their school on closing tomorrow?

phyzik
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Because, I want to go out for the Spurs game with some friends, but I don't know how much I trust any of us driving in the event that snow does happen tonight...

My guess would be sometime after 9pm

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Weather channel says 30% at 7PM, 40% at 8-9PM, and 60% from then on.

AnthonyM
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Dammit, that's not good

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Any word from their school on closing tomorrow?

No one should send his kid to school if there's snow tomorrow. Snow is like a second Christmas to kids in San Antonio who never get to see it.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I told my kids if there was snow on the ground in the morning and somehow school wasn't canceled, that I'd let them stay home. :nerd

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
no one should send his kid to school if there's snow tomorrow.people can't drive for shit here so getting on the road in snow is suicide .
fify

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Weather channel says 30% at 7PM, 40% at 8-9PM, and 60% from then on.

Yeah, I'm piling everyone in the truck tonight to go to the rodeo so I'll have 4WD to get home with...

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I told my kids if there was snow on the ground in the morning and somehow school wasn't canceled, that I'd let them stay home. :nerd

Are you staying home too? :lol

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I'll be working from home, yes. :angel

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
I'll be working from home, yes. :angel

:toast

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Nice.:toast

jeebus
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Hah, I think that's the thinking of every parent in the city.

If we do get any measurable snow, then I laugh at the people who drive in it. San Antonio is way too hilly and that means a lot of retards sliding down those hills, like you see in those youtube videos. And I can't WAIT for all the special people in 4 wheel drive who think that's gonna help. Oh, please let it snow an inch or 2, it'd make for a glorious news day of all the accidents.

spursfan09
02-03-2011, 03:12 PM

If we do get any measurable snow, then I laugh at the people who drive in it. San Antonio is way too hilly and that means a lot of retards sliding down those hills, like you see in those youtube videos. And I can't WAIT for all the special people in 4 wheel drive who think that's gonna help. Oh, please let it snow an inch or 2, it'd make for a glorious news day of all the accidents.

Dang, I hope nothing like that happens to my dad in the am when he as to take my mother to dialysis. It's not like she can't not go.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I take Wurzbach Parkway to work, and that damn thing is a giant Slip 'n Slide when it's raining, I can't even imagine if it were iced over.

And the hell if I'm putting my kids into a 13 ton guided missile with no seat belts. :wow :lol

mrsmaalox
02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
When my kids think of snow days, the first thing that comes to mind is our last year in the DC-Baltimore area and having to make up 2 weeks of snow days in June. I asked my oldest what he thought of all this snow hysteria and he said "Amateurs!" :lol

PM5K
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
If your kids go to NISD and they are in elementary or middle school and you send them to school tomorrow you are fucking retarded.

Tomorrow is early release, really, what's the fucking point?

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Huh? SA's not hilly at all. San Francisco, San Diego... those are hilly cities.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Chances of snow are diminishing right before our eyes ... :flipoff

NASpurs
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM

It's the infamous San Antonio snow force field at work right now. Always likes to tease us and then skips right over us.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Fuck. Weather Channel has it at 40% now. Cocksucking San Antonio weather. Same shit happened last year when it supposed to be like 90% and all that ended up happening was a flurry that melted as it hit the ground.

JudynTX
02-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I need to hit something. :bang

lebomb
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Just saw on the news that the sun should peak out by 5pm and temps should warm up to 70 by midnight. No snow for us. :depressed

jeebus
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Huh? SA's not hilly at all. San Francisco, San Diego... those are hilly cities.
There's enough small hills to where if you stop on ice, you're going backwards(or forwards, depending on your location). Hopefully people just stay home....but they won't. San Francisco and San Diego are just ridiculous hilly and if there was ever an ice storm there, the cities would explode.

Dang, I hope nothing like that happens to my dad in the am when he as to take my mother to dialysis. It's not like she can't not go.
If it does snow, just go slow. Allow PLENTY of room to slow down between stop signs/lights and yourself. And, if at all possible, drive on fresh snow before it gets all packed down and turned into a nightmare. And ease into your turns so you don't spin out.

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Uhhh...Iv'e driven in snow on hills hundreds of times when I had the condo in Crested Butte, Colorado and yeah, 4WD does help. Snow is not that bad...now ice...thats another story...

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Do you guys ever see me posting info from anyone other than the NWS?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=San+Antonio&state=TX&site=EWX&lat=29.4577&lon=-98.5054

There's a reason that I don't and its because places like the weather channel fucking suck while the NWS is actually incredibly good and has the best forecasters with the exception of really specialized niche forecasters hired by private companies. There is an office in San Antonio with a group of forecasters that do nothing but South Texas weather. They know when to hedge their bets and why to do it because they specialize in that area.

On the other hand, places like accuweather or the weather channel have one national office with a limited number of forecasters for the entire nation. They know their stuff but they don't know the local features that make detailed local forecasting harder.

I'll put it to you like this. Its like wanting to go fishing off the Texas Coast but hiring a guide that lives in New York City. Dude may know fishing, but he sure as hell doesn't know the Texas coast.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Within the past hour they've issued a winter weather advisory for you guys. Thats a pretty good indicator that some areas of South Texas will recieve snow and because its been cold there is a good chance its sticking.

Can't promise you all of you will see snow but I'd be shocked if some (and even most of you) didn't.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
320 PM CST THU FEB 3 2011

...A WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM CST THIS
EVENING UNTIL NOON FRIDAY FOR AREAS ALONG AND SOUTHEAST OF A
PLEASANTON TO LOCKHART TO LEXINGTON LINE...

...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM CST THIS
EVENING FOR THE EASTERN HILL COUNTRY AND COUNTIES ALONG THE I-
35 CORRIDOR...

.AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM WILL BRING THE GOOD POTENTIAL FOR
ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ACROSS CENTRAL AND EASTERN PORTIONS OF
SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS TONIGHT INTO MIDDAY FRIDAY. VERY COLD AIR
OVER SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS MEANS THAT ANY PRECIPITATION THAT FALLS
WILL ACCUMULATE ON THE GROUND. NEARLY ALL OF THE WINTER
PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO FALL AS SNOW. LIGHT FLURRIES ARE
EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON...WITH LIGHT SNOW EXPECTED TO BECOME MORE
WIDESPREAD ACROSS EASTERN PORTIONS OF SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS THIS
EVENING INTO TONIGHT. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE
FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL PRAIRIES...WITH
HIGHEST TOTALS EXPECTED TO OCCUR SOUTHEAST OF A GIDDINGS TO KENEDY
LINE. SNOWFALL TOTALS OF A DUSTING TO AROUND ONE INCH ARE FORECAST
OVER THE EASTERN HILL COUNTRY AND AREAS ALONG THE I-35 CORRIDOR.

TXZ171>173-186>192-204>206-219-040200-
/O.CON.KEWX.WW.Y.0001.110204T0000Z-110204T1800Z/
LLANO-BURNET-WILLIAMSON-KERR-BANDERA-GILLESPIE-KENDALL-BLANCO-
HAYS-TRAVIS-MEDINA-BEXAR-COMAL-FRIO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LLANO...BURNET...GEORGETOWN...
KERRVILLE...BANDERA...FREDERICKSBURG...BOERNE...BL ANCO...
SAN MARCOS...AUSTIN...HONDO...SAN ANTONIO...NEW BRAUNFELS...
PEARSALL
320 PM CST THU FEB 3 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST
FRIDAY...

EXPECT ISOLATED SNOW FLURRIES THROUGH LATE THIS AFTERNOON...THEN
INCREASING INTO INTERMITTENT LIGHT SNOW THIS EVENING THROUGH
TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL THEN TAPER OFF LATE FRIDAY MORNING INTO
EARLY AFTERNOON. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF A DUSTING TO AROUND ONE
INCH CAN BE EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Do you guys ever see me posting info from anyone other than the NWS?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=San+Antonio&state=TX&site=EWX&lat=29.4577&lon=-98.5054

There's a reason that I don't and its because places like the weather channel fucking suck while the NWS is actually incredibly good and has the best forecasters with the exception of really specialized niche forecasters hired by private companies. There is an office in San Antonio with a group of forecasters that do nothing but South Texas weather. They know when to hedge their bets and why to do it because they specialize in that area.

On the other hand, places like accuweather or the weather channel have one national office with a limited number of forecasters for the entire nation. They know they're stuff but they don't know the local features that make detailed local forecasting harder.

I'll put it to you like this. Its like wanting to go fishing off the Texas Coast but hiring a guide that lives in New York City. Dude may know fishing, but he sure as hell doesn't know the Texas coast.

I don't trust anyone who makes their forecast in ALL CAPS tbh.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
LOL^^^^

Radar out of New Braunfels is already in snow mode and there have been some super light returns near NW Bexar county (Boerne area). I would not be shocked if people out there have already started to see flurries.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 05:02 PM

The ducks here on campus are pisssssssssssssed.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=osonz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

It was -18 when I left the apartment this morning to come to school. I'm petty sure thats the coldest air I've ever felt.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Its cold, you got enough moisture, and you got a low pressure system to squeeze it out. This is about as good as it gets for South Texas snow chances.

WINTER STORM WARNING CONTINUES FOR EASTERN COUNTIES TO ACCOUNT FOR
EXPECTED 1-3 INCH SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. MODELS CONTINUE A DRY
QPF...BUT DO CONTINUE TO TREND EVER SO SLIGHTLY WETTER WITH EACH
RUN. FORECAST SOUNDING DATA AND MODEL PRECIP TYPE CONTINUES TO
SUGGEST ALL SNOW WITH PERHAPS A BRIEF POSSIBILITY OF SLEET FOR THE
FAR SOUTHEASTERN CORNER. THUS ALL SNOW IS DEPICTED IN THE
FORECAST...AND LATER SHIFTS CAN TRACK THE REPORTS COMING OUT OF THE
COASTAL BEND COUNTIES THAT WOULD SUGGEST ANY OTHER PRECIP TYPE.
SNOW TOTALS BASED ON THE QPF STILL IMPLIES A 1-3 INCH AMOUNTS BUT
WITH THE DRY AIR ENVIRONMENT...AM EXPECTING A FEW STRIPES OF THESE
HIGHER AMOUNTS AND MOST AREAS GETTING A DUSTING TO AN INCH. STILL
THE HIGHER TOTAL EXPECTATIONS OVER EASTERN COUNTIES SHOULD BE
ENOUGH TO CREATE SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL ISSUES FOR AN AREA NOT
ACCUSTOMED TO WINTER WEATHER TRAVEL.

jeebus
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Uhhh...Iv'e driven in snow on hills hundreds of times when I had the condo in Crested Butte, Colorado and yeah, 4WD does help. Snow is not that bad...now ice...thats another story...
That's cuz you know how to drive in it. :p:

easjer
02-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but right now, I'm praying that they go ahead with the current set up and staff has to report at noon tomorrow. I mean, I'm pissed as all fuck about only staff reporting when class has been cancelled, but I desperately need someone there to guarantee my request gets processed on time.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Snow on radar and being reported north of Austin in Llano.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.kchristieh.com/blog/images/dog_window.jpg

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
The activity looks to be building into Austin. Should continue to build south into San Antonio as the night goes on.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.kchristieh.com/blog/images/dog_window.jpg

I'm not even in SA (I have snow right outside my window) and I'm like that dog. :(

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/dogs/1/0/S/3/0/-/sad_dog_window-HeddaGjerpen-iStock.jpg

CubanMustGo
02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Seeing extremely light/intermittent flurries in Avery Ranch area, far NW Austin

edit; have now stopped, the coverage area is increasing but moving to the NE.

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
im at babcock/dezavala area and there is some kind of moisture falling right now. looks like snow to me

Sense
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
im at babcock/dezavala area and there is some kind of moisture falling right now. looks like snow to me

lol is it your first time seeing it? You should be able to tell haha

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
naw i seen it . i just didnt wanna come in here and be like its snowing!! only to have Manny come and say that its actually lower level precipitation and falls in the sleet category or some shit like det

PuttPutt
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
naw i seen it . i just didnt wanna come in here and be like its snowing!! only to have Manny come and say that its actually lower level precipitation and falls in the sleet category or some shit like det

half an inch or more on the ground is snow. Flurries, sleet, freezing rain ain't snow.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
It's just drizzling here, and it's formed a solid wall of ice on my truck. (1604/35).

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
half an inch or more on the ground is snow. Flurries, sleet, freezing rain ain't snow.

exactly

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Its drizzling? Thats surprising. And really shitty because even a bit of drizzle in those temps is going to really fuck the roads right away.

ashbeeigh
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM

I'm in the same area you are and we have the same thing. It may be kind of a sleet/snow mix.

djohn2oo8
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
sleeting at the moment

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Its probably a mix. That indicates slightly warmer air above which they didn't find in the soundings earlier except the coast. On one hand that means more moisture being drawn up by the low which is good for snow but its warmer for now so it means more ice and that is bad for the roads.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I saw a news clip that San Antonio's 2 winter emergency trucks are hard at work laying the salt/chemicals/whatever...preparing our 50 million miles of roads. :lol

Soul_Patch
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
My wife gets off work and is driving home at 1130. She took my truck for the 4 wheel drive...i still dont think im gonna sleep until she gets home though....ughh..

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
The weather on my Android turned to snow for Universal City....does that count?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
North Central Texas near Waco looks like its getting some solid snow rates.

The fuckers took the radar out of snow mode for some reason.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Cocksucking sleet again. Fuck this city's weather.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Its early. I think it'll change to snow when the ULL gets closer.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM

Its early. I think it'll change to snow when the ULL gets closer.

Bullshit. This city always gets fucked when it comes to snow. We're going to get stuck with fucked up roads and nothing good to show for it.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
The airport is reporting freezing drizzle now.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Bullshit. This city always gets fucked when it comes to snow. We're going to get stuck with fucked up roads and nothing good to show for it.

The ULL is pulling up warmer moist air from the gulf in its rotation. The soundings earlier showed colder air but now its above freezing so you know that its come up from the gulf.

But when the ULL gets closer its got a cold core (cold air above is the reason air rises causing the lower pressure and rotation) so it will change over to just snow.

I'm not saying your'e going to get inches but the fact that there is moisture is not a bad thing if you want snow.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm not saying your'e going to get inches but the fact that there is moisture is not a bad thing if you want snow.

But the fact that the city is San Antonio is a bad thing for anyone wanting snow.

SpursWoman
02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Bullshit. This city always gets fucked when it comes jto snow. We're going to get stuck with fucked up roads and nothing good to show for it.

Did you move back here??

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Did you move back here??

Yeah, California's too much of a freaking mess. :lol Plus I hated seeing my family only twice a year.

koriwhat
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
was icing a bit when i was driving around like 15 mins ago... people are dumb as shit here, going 20 in a 55 mph zone. it wasn't "snowing" nor icing enough for that stupidity on the road.

sabar
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
There's a freezing wet mist right now. I wouldn't even call it drizzle. It is encasing stuff in ice really slowly.

Pretty lame.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
BB next time I'm in SA we need to go have a beer. I'll bring you some fucking snow from NM. :lmao

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
BB next time I'm in SA we need to go have a beer. I'll bring you some fucking snow from NM. :lmao

Better not fucking be yellow snow.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I gotta move to Montana and live near Yellowstone for a winter. I can't fucking believe I could go walk on snow at the end of August up there but all I get here in the dead of winter is a bunch of fucking ice on my car. :pctoss

Das Texan
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I'll believe snow in this fucking city when I see it.

Having said that, if there is really next to no snow, everyone but KABB will have been wrong in their forecasts. :lol

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
All the fucking snow on the radar is turning in bullshit sleet. Next time I see Steve Brown he's getting a cockpunch.

easjer
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't think anything is happening here, Manny. Correct if I'm wrong (too lazy to go look).

On one hand, meh, disappointing. On the other, dear Lord, I need work to be open tomorrow afternoon (never thought I'd say that).

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Nah its building in fairly well. Its pretty damn light but most snow is. I've seen a decent light snow fall when there is nothing but the lowest type of returns on radars. I think you'll get mostly snow for a good bit tonight. East sides and SE sides will have it the longest I think. The further NW you are the smaller your amounts and timeframe will be.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think anything is happening here, Manny. Correct if I'm wrong (too lazy to go look).

On one hand, meh, disappointing. On the other, dear Lord, I need work to be open tomorrow afternoon (never thought I'd say that).

Later tonight into tomorrow for Houston. The system is moving west to east and its still west of SA.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Later tonight into tomorrow for Houston. The system is moving west to east and its still west of SA.

What does ALL CAPS have to say?

CubanMustGo
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Flabbergasted that Continental and someone else stopped flying in Houston at 3PM today. Talk about overreacting.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
what does all caps have to say?

short term forecast
national weather service austin/san antonio tx
917 pm cst thu feb 3 2011

txz191-192-205-206-040530-
hays-travis-bexar-comal-
including the cities of...san marcos...austin...san antonio...
New braunfels
917 pm cst thu feb 3 2011

.now...
...winter weather advisory in effect until noon cst friday...

Through 11:30 pm...isolated showers of freezing drizzle and snow
will develop. Any freezing drizzle will be short lived as evaporation
cools the atmosphere. Once this cooling occurs...all of the
precipitation will be snow.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
They upgraded to a winter weather warning which is a step above the advisory. My guess is because the drizzel is already freezing.

953 PM CST THU FEB 3 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT
FREEZING RAIN WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST FRIDAY. THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

AREAS OF FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN HAVE BEEN
REPORTED ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS INTO THE HILL COUNTRY THIS
EVENING. THE FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN WILL
CONTINUE UNTIL AROUND MIDNIGHT WITH A TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW
DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE QUARTER
INCH CAN BE EXPECTED. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 2 INCHES CAN BE
EXPECTED. TRAVEL WILL BE TREACHEROUS AND AVOID TRAVEL IF POSSIBLE.
THE PRECIPITATION WILL END BY SUNRISE.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW...SLEET...
FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS
WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE TRAVEL PROBLEMS AND MAY POSE A THREAT TO
LIFE AND PROPERTY.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
They upgraded to a winter weather warning which is a step above the advisory. My guess is because the drizzel is already freezing.

953 PM CST THU FEB 3 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT
FREEZING RAIN WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST FRIDAY. THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

AREAS OF FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN HAVE BEEN
REPORTED ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS INTO THE HILL COUNTRY THIS
EVENING. THE FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN WILL
CONTINUE UNTIL AROUND MIDNIGHT WITH A TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW
DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE QUARTER
INCH CAN BE EXPECTED. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 2 INCHES CAN BE
EXPECTED. TRAVEL WILL BE TREACHEROUS AND AVOID TRAVEL IF POSSIBLE.
THE PRECIPITATION WILL END BY SUNRISE.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW...SLEET...
FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS
WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE TRAVEL PROBLEMS AND MAY POSE A THREAT TO
LIFE AND PROPERTY.

easjer
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Gracias, Manny.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't know what's worse tonight: a reprise of the sleet on a night of supposed snow or the return of the 2009-10 Spurs offense in Staples Center.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Neither - Reggie Miller's color commentary is the shitiest item of the night by far. BY FAR.

Das Texan
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't know what's worse tonight: a reprise of the sleet on a night of supposed snow or the return of the 2009-10 Spurs offense in Staples Center.

Cut your left wrist.

Cut your right wrist.

Both equal about the same.

baseline bum
02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Neither - Reggie Miller's color commentary is the shitiest item of the night by far. BY FAR.

:lol Though I have become immune to bad color commentary after watching Heinsohn for years on CBS.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
He's fucking terrible man. I have no clue how he has a job. I guess he and Cheryl have some Turner execs by the balls.