PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Big Three Deserve to be on the All Star Game.

urunobili
02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Name one reason why they deserve to be together there at least one time.

I would start with 3 championships playing together :)

:flag::flag::flag:

Tp9gospursgo
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Do they deserve it? Yes. Will all three make it? No.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
They won 50 games last year. They've won 40 games before the all-star break this year. Any other team with the same record would have at least three players on the all-star team, and the Spurs look like they'll be lucky to have one.

TwelveGs210
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Lmao @ the hatred..just a few years back Detroit had fucking 4 players..FOUR

duncan228
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

Decision Day: How many Spurs will make the All-Star team? (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/02/decision-day-how-many-spurs-will-make-the-all-star-team/)
Tim Griffin

...Tim Duncan:

Competing against: Dirk Nowitzki, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Luis Scola, Zach Randolph, David West.

The skinny: Duncan has a great shot to be selected as the West Division’s center to replace the injured Yao Ming. NBA commissioner David Stern will make the call on who replaces Yao, and he’s a big proponent of honoring career achievement. Considering that Duncan is the greatest power forward in the league’s history, he would be a rightful selection, even if his stats don’t measure up with some of the other contenders. This is one of the most stacked positions in the league and there are a lot of good choices. Duncan probably would prefer to spend the All-Star break at home playing video games with his children, but he likely will be a big part of at least one more All-Star Game weekend.

Chances: 90 percent.

Manu Ginobili:

Competing against: Eric Gordon, Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis.

The skinny: There’s something to be said about being the best player on the league’s best team. Ginobili has been the Spurs’ most consistent weapon this season. Coaches realize how important he is to the success of the Spurs’ team, even if his numbers don’t match with the league’s top scorers. That probably should be enough to get him to his second All-Star Game.

Chances: 80 percent.

Tony Parker:

Competing against: Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Steve Nash.

The skinny: Even while coping with some off-the-court adversity this season, Parker has had one of his better recent seasons and has been a key spark in the Spurs’ fast start. His statistics don’t match those of the other top West point guards as he ranks seventh among them in assists. It might be a stretch to get him to Los Angeles, even though he deserves to make it.

Chances: 40 percent.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/02/decision-day-how-many-spurs-will-make-the-all-star-team/

FeZZy
02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/02/decision-day-how-many-spurs-will-make-the-all-star-team/

pretty sure manu has a better chance then Tim does? F*CK THE EXPRESS

duncan228
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Berger has Ginobili, but no Duncan or Parker.

It's painful, but Duncan doesn't make this All-Star roster (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14636574/its-painful-but-duncan-doesnt-make-this-allstar-roster)
By Ken Berger
CBSSports.com

...Why no Duncan? Typically, my instincts would be to give such a Hall of Famer the benefit of the doubt and a courtesy vote based on his body of work. But with so many deserving candidates in the West who play the same position, there's no way to justify any lifetime achievement votes this year. That’s probably fine with Popovich, the coach of the West, who will go to Los Angeles with a clear mind later this month knowing that Duncan is home with his feet up, resting for the stretch run.

In my mind, Duncan's All-Star chances were undone by a pair of unlikely youngsters. Just as I believe will be the case with the coaches, there was no hesitation on my part in typing the name Blake Griffin as I assembled my unofficial list of All-Star reserves. Same goes for Kevin Love, whose statistical accomplishments are too historic to outweigh the fact that he's on a losing team. If not for the emergence of those two, I might've been able to justify Duncan over, say, LaMarcus Aldridge or David West -- but even that would've been a stretch, given the production gap between Duncan and all his chief rivals in the Western Conference front court.

...Guards: Manu Ginobili, Spurs; Deron Williams, Jazz. Duncan is no longer the Spurs' best player; Ginobili is. Both these picks were no-brainers. Chris Paul wins the popularity contest, but D-Will is the best point guard.

...My second wild-card pick essentially came down to Westbrook over Tony Parker -- though I also considered West, Aldridge and Lamar Odom. Westbrook's defense (1.9 steals per game), plus his one-two punch as the point guard on a first-place team (22.6 points and 8.5 assists) clinched it for me.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14636574/its-painful-but-duncan-doesnt-make-this-allstar-roster

TD 21
02-03-2011, 01:37 AM
They won 50 games last year. They've won 40 games before the all-star break this year. Any other team with the same record would have at least three players on the all-star team, and the Spurs look like they'll be lucky to have one.

Excellent post.

They'll have two: Ginobili and Duncan.

Berger is a fool. It's incredible that people like this make their living covering the league and don't even know what they're talking about. So many have made this mistake: Duncan "plays the same position as so many deserving candidates in the West". Last time I checked, Gasol and Duncan were the only centers in the West that are All-Star caliber. The listing on the ballot doesn't matter at this point, because coaches can vote for players based on the position they primarily play. So Duncan isn't in competition with Griffin, Love, Aldridge, West, Randolph and Odom, he's in competition with Chandler, Okafor and Nene.

Texas_Ranger
02-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Yes they do. But I really wouldn't be surprised if no one makes it. That would be a big :lol.

duncan228
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
The Spurs’ All-Star Game history (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/03/the-spurs-all-star-game-history/)
Tim Griffin

1977 – George Gervin
1978 – George Gervin*, Larry Kenon*
1979 – George Gervin*, Larry Kenon
1980 – George Gervin*
1981 – George Gervin*
1982 – George Gervin*
1983 – George Gervin, Artis Gilmore
1984 – George Gervin*
1985 – George Gervin*
1986 – Artis Gilmore, Alvin Robertson*
1987 – Alvin Robertson*
1988 – Alvin Robertson
1989 – No selections
1990 – David Robinson
1991 – David Robinson*
1992 – David Robinson*
1993 – Sean Elliott, David Robinson*
1994 – David Robinson
1995 – David Robinson
1996 – Sean Elliott, David Robinson
1997 – No selection
1998 – Tim Duncan, David Robinson
1999 – No game because of player lockout.
2000 – Tim Duncan*, David Robinson
2001 – Tim Duncan*, David Robinson
2002 – Tim Duncan*
2003 – Tim Duncan*
2004 – Tim Duncan*
2005 – Tim Duncan*, Manu Ginobili
2006 – Tim Duncan*, Tony Parker
2007 – Tim Duncan*, Tony Parker
2008 – Tim Duncan*
2009 – Tim Duncan*, Tony Parker
2010 – Tim Duncan*

* - All-Star Game starter.

And here’s a list of the Spurs and their selection history:

Tim Duncan: 12 games, 11 starts.

David Robinson: 10 games, three starts.

George Gervin: Nine games, seven starts.

Alvin Robertson: Three games, two starts.

Tony Parker: Three games.

Larry Kenon: Two games, one start.

Artis Gilmore: Two games.

Sean Elliott: Two games.

Manu Ginobili: One game.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/03/the-spurs-all-star-game-history/

jimo2305
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
if these players did the exact same stats on another team... it wouldn't even be a question whether they make it or not..

hater
02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
who cares. Focus on the Lakers, focus man

jimo2305
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
yes.. yes..

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_
:D

BoricuaCJA
02-03-2011, 04:29 PM
if these players did the exact same stats on another team... it wouldn't even be a question whether they make it or not..
If they were on a team in the east, for sure. Griffin and Love have been playing great this year even if they are on below .500 teams. Aldridge has also been playing great this year. I'm still thinking Duncan will be in the ASG.

I am 100% positive Manu will be with all the clutch highlights, he has had and since he is better than every SG not named Kobe in the west.

Parker, will get snubbed even though he is playing his best statistical season. Paul and Dwill have better stats and are by most people, the best 2 PG's in the NBA. The west also has Nash who is such a sick offensive player and Westbrook who is also playing great.

We should have 3 b/c if the Lakers, Heat, Celtics had the same record, they would of 100% gotten at least 3 players into the ASG. People just dont respect our players for what they've done so far and always think were a boring team since that is what has been advertised through out the years even though our offense is great this season.

I really don't care for them to be in the ASG, I just think all 3 should be in one of the all NBA teams if we get the best record in the league.
All I want is a :lobt:

JamStone
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Same could be said of 2008-09 Lakers. 50 wins previous year. 40 wins by all star break. They sent two players to the ASG, Kobe and Pau.

Lmao @ the hatred..just a few years back Detroit had fucking 4 players..FOUR

This is true. I think the difference is the depth of talent in each conference. If the 2005-06 Pistons played in the Western Conference, it would likely only have been Billups and Ben Wallace who would have made it, and no guarantee on either. Rip would have had to beat out Kobe, Ray Allen, and T-Mac. Rasheed would have had to get on the roster ahead of Duncan, KG, Dirk, and Brand. Maybe Brand but Sheed was putting up 15.4/6.6 and shooting 43.4% from the field at the all star break. Stats don't exactly jump out at you.

Put the Spurs in the Eastern Conference this year, all three would make it easily. In the Western Conference, I think only Manu is close to certain. Duncan has a good chance because the lack of centers in the West this season. I really don't see Tony Parker making it though.

xmas1997
02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
If they were on a team in the east, for sure. Griffin and Love have been playing great this year even if they are on below .500 teams. Aldridge has also been playing great this year. I'm still thinking Duncan will be in the ASG.

I am 100% positive Manu will be with all the clutch highlights, he has had and since he is better than every SG not named Kobe in the west.

Parker, will get snubbed even though he is playing his best statistical season. Paul and Dwill have better stats and are by most people, the best 2 PG's in the NBA. The west also has Nash who is such a sick offensive player and Westbrook who is also playing great.

We should have 3 b/c if the Lakers, Heat, Celtics had the same record, they would of 100% gotten at least 3 players into the ASG. People just dont respect our players for what they've done so far and always think were a boring team since that is what has been advertised through out the years even though our offense is great this season.

I really don't care for them to be in the ASG, I just think all 3 should be in one of the all NBA teams if we get the best record in the league.

It really pisses me off too. And you know that even when they say it doesn't matter, it really does deep inside them to be honored that way.
So all I want now is that:lobt2:

jimo2305
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM

lol yea they've been playing great.. but it goes backwards too... if duncan for example or even splitter was avg'ing the same #s griffin or aldridge were averaging.. and the spurs had the same record as portland or clippers.. ppl would be laughed at for even suggesting the spur players get an allstar spot..

but regardless i really don't care.. just another butthurstpost of mine lol.. im all for the :lobt2: