PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Hand It To Portland

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
They played their butts off...too many mental mistakes from our guys. Played three good quarters only to let go of the pedal in the fourth. Not a big deal.

This loss is sure to keep our head straight for thursday's showdown vs the fakers.

DesignatedT
02-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Well deserved win, I never liked playing up there.

timtonymanu
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Their team has a lot of heart. I would like them alot more if they had different announcers. Mills is my favorite non-Spur. Aldridge is great. Batum and Matthews are players I always wanted.

Rummpd
02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
I called this beforehand and said Spurs needed to play well - I think Spurs were for once really looking ahead going into this game.

Chill Blazers the type of team to give the Spurs some trouble.

edgar
Listening to the lakers broadcaster making a comment on how the spurs just lost, is nice. Oh they know whos coming thursday.

lil_penny
good game spurs fans.. i expect you guys to bounce back and have a great rest of the rodeo trip though

TD 21
02-02-2011, 12:32 AM
This is an unacceptable loss. I don't care what their record is, there's no way the Trail Blazers should beat a well rested Spurs team. Now this team has to beat what will be a motivated Lakers team (that's due to beat an elite team) to avoid back to back losses. They're right on track to not only piss away home court to the Celtics, but do so by the All-Star break.

The genius coach bears a lot of responsibility for this one. He talks about not overplaying McDyess, then proceeds to run him into the ground, because heaven forbid Splitter get a chance. Why would you possibly put a 6-11 guy on another 6-11 guy? If Splitter wasn't brought in to guard long, mobile post players like Aldridge, then why the fuck was he brought in at all? Completely inexplicable that he didn't get a turn on him. There might not be a player in the league he theoretically matches-up better with.

DesignatedT
02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I can't believe Portland had 4 full days of rest before tonights game (if i heard that correctly) I have never seen that happen before in the NBA

Budkin
02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I agree... this was a game we should have won that could cost us dearly at the end of the season.

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Go rockets!

timtonymanu
02-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't believe Portland had 4 full days of rest before tonights game (if i heard that correctly) I have never seen that happen before in the NBA

I think they had a 5 day rest earlier this season. Played at home vs Utah on a Saturday. Then their next game was on a Friday vs New Orleans.

concken
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM

we play @CHI on Feb. 17

and not again til Feb. 23 v. OKC

DesignatedT
02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
we play @CHI on Feb. 17

and not again til Feb. 23 v. OKC

thats the all star break. not counting that since all the teams get the rest....

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Matt Bonner = Savior

spurtech09
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
well all I can say is ive seen the spurs play better teams and play good...like the utah game they played last week in utah.....there no excuse I know but the only reason the game against the t blazers got out of hand is cuase of the refs

Capt Bringdown
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Dice's limitations were on display tonight, among other things.
We should have seen a much better response from the coaches and players. Blazers threw us a curve ball by ratcheting up their defensive intensity (did they watch the NO tape?) and the Spurs didn't respond. The long stretch of small ball in the second half was the deciding factor I think.

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
HOU 96 LAL 98 4TH QT 0:11SEC remain

Ditty
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Tonights loss is more on pop with the small lineup and sitting Duncan and Parker too long in the 3rd and 4th quarter

Refs were bad and swung alot of momentum also but there is more reasons more than that.

If we beat LA Thursday then this loss is not really going to matter, but I don't want to start the roadtrip 0-2 :(.

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
HOU 98 // LAL 98 -- FINAL -- Overtime

jestersmash
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
HOU 98 // LAL 98 -- FINAL -- Overtime

No kidding. I turned it off after Kobe hit yet another clutch shot to put L.A. up 6. I assumed it was over. Silly me.

edgar
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
If Lakers lose third in a row tonight, this ought to be a good game come thursday!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Props to Portlandia. They are playing some good ball, considering their depletions.

tlongII
02-02-2011, 12:53 AM
good game spurs fans.. i expect you guys to bounce back and have a great rest of the rodeo trip though

I don't. The Spurs have been playing over their heads. I predict a sub-.500 Rodeo Road Trip for them.

Kamala
02-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Can't believe Rod Strickland made that behind the back no look pass!
CHINGOW:wow

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
This is the Blazer's starting lineup:

LaMarcus Aldridge, PF
Nicolas Batum, SF
Joel Przybilla, C
Andre Miller, PG
Wesley Matthews, G

Their bench scored only 12 points.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

fuck are these clowns doing...not a good start to the rodeo road trip. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs end up with 50% more losses after this single road trip.

Solid D
02-02-2011, 12:59 AM
This is an unacceptable loss. I don't care what their record is, there's no way the Trail Blazers should beat a well rested Spurs team. Now this team has to beat what will be a motivated Lakers team (that's due to beat an elite team) to avoid back to back losses. They're right on track to not only piss away home court to the Celtics, but do so by the All-Star break.

The genius coach bears a lot of responsibility for this one. He talks about not overplaying McDyess, then proceeds to run him into the ground, because heaven forbid Splitter get a chance. Why would you possibly put a 6-11 guy on another 6-11 guy? If Splitter wasn't brought in to guard long, mobile post players like Aldridge, then why the fuck was he brought in at all? Completely inexplicable that he didn't get a turn on him. There might not be a player in the league he theoretically matches-up better with.

Give the Blazers credit. They played great defense, they mixed it up and they hit their shots. Plus they got some great bounces and calls down the stretch. It's the NBA and winning in Portland is tough (5th straight loss for the Spurs there?). Aldridge always plays fantastic against the Spurs. Stuff happens.

TD 21
02-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Give the Blazers credit. They played great defense, they mixed it up and they hit their shots. Plus they got some great bounces and calls down the stretch. It's the NBA and winning in Portland is tough (5th straight loss for the Spurs there?). Aldridge always plays fantastic against the Spurs. Stuff happens.

Typical Spurs fan.

When you're significantly better than another team and are well rested and should be highly motivated to win the game (given what's upcoming), there's no excuse to lose. I'm not going to bail this team out by going "give the Blazers credit". Obviously, they deserve some, but that doesn't make this loss acceptable. I'm not chalking this one up as "just one loss" This one's going to be felt later in the trip and down the stretch of the season. Mark my words.

Of course Aldridge always plays fantastic. He's generally being guarded by guys either way smaller, way less mobile or both. Funny thing is, the Spurs have a guy who theoretically matches up very well with him. But why give him a chance? It's fun to watch Aldridge play as if he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

maddnezz
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Im not gonna give the blazzer nutin and screw aldridge.
Nobody made him play any D! The fucker had 1 foul the whole game, 1.:bang You make a scorer play some d and he gets in foul trouble. Everybody fouls. Shooting jumpers wont get you to the line. It's the same for A'mare and Dirk, go at them hard the first 5 plays in a row they get into foul trouble and a little tighter on d when the player is on O gives him more pressure and as we all know pressure busts pipes!

Solid D
02-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Typical Spurs fan.

When you're significantly better than another team and are well rested and should be highly motivated to win the game (given what's upcoming), there's no excuse to lose. I'm not going to bail this team out by going "give the Blazers credit". Obviously, they deserve some, but that doesn't make this loss acceptable. I'm not chalking this one up as "just one loss" This one's going to be felt later in the trip and down the stretch of the season. Mark my words.

Of course Aldridge always plays fantastic. He's generally being guarded by guys either way smaller, way less mobile or both. Funny thing is, the Spurs have a guy who theoretically matches up very well with him. But why give him a chance? It's fun to watch Aldridge play as if he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Some teams don't match well with other teams. Why else would the Spurs have lost 7 of their last 8 games against Portland? It certainly isn't because Portland is better, now is it?

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Typical Spurs fan.

I could not agree more with this post. Exactly my thoughts.

However, I did not watch the game and that may or may not matter. But yeah, you would think a Spurs team that hasn't played in days would be ready and motivated to get off to a good start on this much anticipated RRT. You would also think that given two of the team's best players are out and their starting lineup, they should have been crushed.

Guards: did Miller cover Parker??? I would think that that would be a suicidal assignment from the Blazers, but they can't put him on Manu either, obviously, even though Matthews wouldn't be too bad in covering Parker compared to old ass washed up Miller.

Oh well, maybe this explains the loss...seeing the starters, the Spurs probably believed they won this game before ever leaving for Portland. Whatever the reason, it's....just.....I know we can't expect everything from the Spurs but.................FUCK. :bang

tlongII
02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Some teams don't match well with other teams. Why else would the Spurs have lost 7 of their last 8 games against Portland? It certainly isn't because Portland is better, now is it?

Actually it is.

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Some teams don't match well with other teams. Why else would the Spurs have lost 7 of their last 8 games against Portland?

Because they're a bunch of clowns.

Solid D
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Enjoy your ulcer.

TD 21
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM

Well, the past two seasons it was fairly close. The Spurs were always better, but not in a landslide like they are now. Look at the Trail Blazers personnel at the moment. They're not talented or versatile enough to cause anyone serious match-up problems. I give them a ton of credit for remaining a playoff team with a skeleton crew, but they're a severely limited team and given the situation, the Spurs had no business losing this game.

Now, one of the inevitable losses to a shit team won't be okay. Because if they lose to them and lose to at least one of the Lakers or Bulls, they could come out of this trip a game up or tied with the Celtics. Given how well they've played and the fortune they've had to this point, that's unacceptable. They shouldn't have to be fighting it out with them coming down the stretch.

It's getting way ahead obviously, but having home court over them could easily be the difference between winning the championship or not. That's why this team needs to value every game, especially ones like the one tonight where they definitely should have won.

Capt Bringdown
02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Actually it is.

Ha ha, has Portland crawled into Pop's head? Does Pop mistake Nate for AJ?

Pop was certainly in deer-in-the-headlights, pull defeat from the jaws of victory mode tonight.

Rather than assert an advantage, we rolled with small ball...why?

SenorSpur
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM

Personally, I agree with every point made here.

Furthermore, Blair was absolutely ruling the glass, and the coach elects to glue him to the bench for a substantial portion of the 2nd half. Had Pop turned to Splitter, that would've been understandable. However, his decision to go small was preposterous...and to not have even give Splitter a shot at Aldridge was just downright stupid.

Think Lamar Odom wasn't watching this? Maybe George Hill will be successful picking up Odom off of unnecessary P&R switches than he was against Aldridge? Or perhaps, that's what Pop is thinking to himself?

jjktkk
02-02-2011, 01:23 AM
well all I can say is ive seen the spurs play better teams and play good...like the utah game they played last week in utah.....there no excuse I know but the only reason the game against the t blazers got out of hand is cuase of the refs

Give the Blazers credit. Their a good team that plays hard and Alderidge is a bad matchup for the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
02-02-2011, 01:33 AM
I don't. The Spurs have been playing over their heads. I predict a sub-.500 Rodeo Road Trip for them.

You always post negative shit in here bro, damn you are hater on the Spurs it seems........ Just an observation.
Actually it is.

Yep like the Suns in 03 over us until the playoffs, which you will definitely lose if you see us there bruh! Peace.

Hoops Czar
02-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Will their be a gotta hand it to L.A. thread on Thursday? Give me a break.

crc21209
02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
On another note...you just know the Blazers now are going to go to Denver tomorrow and get their asses handed to them. It never fails, the Spurs lose one night to someone, and that same team goes and gets spanked the next game...

itzsoweezee
02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Damn, I was at the game. Spurs never win when I see them live.

Pop's rotation was mind-boggling.

McDyess was downright horrible. He was a step slower than everyone, he couldn't do anything on offense, and he missed free throws. The Blazers ability to take the game over was directly attributable to McDyess's poor play.

Blair, on the other hand, was absolutely dominating the paint in the first half. He was outmuscling both Aldridge and Przybilla. His dominance of Pryzbilla was especially surprising. Not surprising, the Spurs played well when Blair was in the game.

Neal was also horrible. The guy couldn't do anything right. I think he made one three, but didn't do much else.

The Spurs were just plain slower than the Blazers. I don't recall Tony running out on a single fastbreak.

Oh, and Popovich's use of small ball this game may quite well be the worst ever use of a small lineup in a game, ever. It's like the guy wants to see his players humiliated. Embarrassing.

Kool Bob Love
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Typical Spurs fan.

Chill my dude. Just one of 82. No need to wild out about one loss in feb.
Portland played great. Now they can look ahead to LA thursday.:toast

8FOR!3
02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
This is the Blazer's starting lineup:

LaMarcus Aldridge, PF
Nicolas Batum, SF
Joel Przybilla, C
Andre Miller, PG
Wesley Matthews, G

Their bench scored only 12 points.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

fuck are these clowns doing...not a good start to the rodeo road trip. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs end up with 50% more losses after this single road trip.

It's a solid lineup that works really well together. Joel Przybilla is one of the best rebounders in the league, Batum can guard anybody at SF at an elite level, Aldridge is almost at the caliber of an all star big man and he had a career night against us, Andre Miller is one of the underrated point guards of our time, he really knows how to run the floor, and Wesley Matthews fits in well with them.

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
It's a solid lineup that works really well together. Joel Przybilla is one of the best rebounders in the league, Batum can guard anybody at SF at an elite level, Aldridge is almost at the caliber of an all star big man and he had a career night against us, Andre Miller is one of the underrated point guards of our time, he really knows how to run the floor, and Wesley Matthews fits in well with them.
Alridge is def. AS quality.

Batum can guard anybody but that doesn't matter because RJ doesn't create for himself..he hits the open baseline jumper and runs around screens for alley-oops and receives passes on the fast break for an easy finish.

Miller is one of the slowest guards in the league. Tony parker is one of the quickest. I hear Tony struggles vs. Miller, I just don't get why...Miller isn't significantly taller, but he is significantly slower and older.

Bad loss overall. I anticipate they will beat the Lakers, however.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
2-3min left pop pulls the white flag out of his ass down by 10....lol

Solid D
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Spurs fan.

Actually, your reaction is more akin to "Typical Spurs fan" in this Forum but, really, who cares? In my view, you blend-in quite well.

02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
1. why does it seem every opposing team's pf or c seem to have their career nights against the spurs.
2. spurs can't afford to lose to have a "bad matchup" against the blazers because they will most likely be facing them during the playoffs.

edgar
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Will their be a gotta hand it to L.A. thread on Thursday? Give me a break.

Lol. I dont know whether to mock your mediocre team on a 21 game losing streak or the fact that you are a cleaveland fan on a spurs forum.

Hoops Czar
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Lol. I dont know whether to mock your mediocre team on a 21 game losing streak or the fact that you are a cleaveland fan on a spurs forum.

Well, mediocrity is a bitch, and in a few years time, with the announcement of Duncan's retirement, mediocrity will come full circle. Oh wait, is that Tiago's footsteps I hear in the background? The "great white powderpuff" with smurf hands and Dumbo athleticism will be the centerpiece of Spurs basketball for years to come? Good luck with that.... I think when that day indeed comes, you'll sign out of Spurstalk for the last time never to be heard from again.

P.S. Its really hard to take a Spurs fan with such small minded intelligence very seriously when he/she in fact, can't even spell the name of the very city in which he/she is trying to insult. Its a pleasure to be affronted by an on again and off again closet Spurs fan like yourself... 292 posts in 2.4 years.:lol

TD 21
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Actually, your reaction is more akin to "Typical Spurs fan" in this Forum but, really, who cares? In my view, you blend-in quite well.

Actually, it isn't. With few exceptions, most seem to take one of two approaches every time the Spurs lose. 1) "Ah, it's just one game. Can't win 'em all", 2) "OMG, this team has no size and can't defend, they'll never beat (insert hype machines)!". I take neither, so I don't see how my view is typical?

Solid D
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Actually, it isn't. With few exceptions, most seem to take one of two approaches every time the Spurs lose. 1) "Ah, it's just one game. Can't win 'em all", 2) "OMG, this team has no size and can't defend, they'll never beat (insert hype machines)!". I take neither, so I don't see how my view is typical?

Typical Spurs fans say "we should have beaten _________. We are better than them and this loss is gonna bite us. Pop blew it going small. Blah, Blah, Blah, mark my words you heard it here first."

Some folks use more words than others and throw in some strategy talk....but it's still the same typical rant.

crc21209
02-03-2011, 12:21 AM
On another note...you just know the Blazers now are going to go to Denver tomorrow and get their asses handed to them. It never fails, the Spurs lose one night to someone, and that same team goes and gets spanked the next game...

Damn I called it...I'm good...:tu :lol

lil_penny
02-03-2011, 12:33 AM
we have lost the last 14 out of 15 times in denver just as denver has done in the rose garden.. wasnt a hard prediciton tbh lol

spurs1990
02-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Ya'll better not lose to Cleveland.

The Truth #6
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
It was a dissapointing loss considering we don't lose much. What's made us great is our bench, but injuries and slumps have made us weak in that department. Blair should have played more. I have no expectations for Splitter somehow being the difference in any game this year at the moment, but he could have gotten some more minutes for sure. The team has lost its focus to some degree. Hopefully this loss and the RRT will push us back on track.

TD 21
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Typical Spurs fans say "we should have beaten _________. We are better than them and this loss is gonna bite us. Pop blew it going small. Blah, Blah, Blah, mark my words you heard it here first."

Some folks use more words than others and throw in some strategy talk....but it's still the same typical rant.

Yeah, but I don't say "we" when referring to the Spurs. Ever.

I don't give a damn whether it was a "typical rant" or not, everything I said was true. The only thing that's yet to be proven is the "it's going to bite them" part and that's only because not enough time has elapsed yet for that to come to fruition.