PDA

View Full Version : Neal in a Slump?

arodz
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
The last two games Gary Neal has really struggled. He's scored a combined 5 pts on 2-13 shooting. I know it's only been two games, but whenever a rookie starts to stuggle, you have to wonder if he's hit the rookie wall.

toki9
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
i think he's a bit banged up, with problems in his knees and rear.

DesignatedT
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
He hasn't gotten as many open looks recently that he was getting in the beginning of the year. He missed some pretty makeable shots against portland though also, hell be fine.

toki9
02-02-2011, 10:27 PM
He hasn't gotten as many open looks recently that he was getting in the beginning of the year. He missed some pretty makeable shots against portland though also, hell be fine.

And by this point in the season, there probably isn't an unknown contributor anymore...teams pretty much know whom to cover...

boutons_deux
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
He could be going Roger Ma$on on us.

Hot start, then pfffft.

ElNono
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I didn't have a problem with the shots he took or the drives he made against Portland. To me, they were shots that normally fall but didn't this time. Not concerned about him right now.

G-Dawgg
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Neal's fine.. no need to stress.

Kool Bob Love
02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
He could be going Roger Ma$on on us.

Hot start, then pfffft.

Stop it. :nope

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
he was bought in to be a 3pt shooter, not play the role of roger mason v2.0

his been doing alot of that lately which is not part of his game and is costing us when it results in a turnover easy basket

ElNono
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I disagree. He was brought it to contribute. That means to take what the defense gives you. I don't think his drives are bad at all, and unlike RMJ, he seems to have that floater down. I though the couple he took yesterday were those he normally takes, they just rimmed out. Happens to everybody.

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Teams are starting to close out on him more, which hurts the Spurs, because this team doesn't penetrate enough, which limits his overall open looks from 3..once the Spurs start opening things up a little, he'll get his looks again..

Another note: Neal is shooting approx. 34% from the field since Bonner got hurt..with Bonner out, the floor spacing is even worse, which again, limits Neal's open looks from range..while Neal does have ability to put the ball on the floor, it obviously doesn't compare to his long-range shooting..

Last 9 games w/o Bonner: 34% from the field..
10 previous games w/ Bonner: 44% from the field..

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Teams are starting to close out on him more, which hurts the Spurs, because this team doesn't penetrate enough, which limits his overall open looks from 3..once the Spurs start opening things up a little, he'll get his looks again..

Another note: Neal is shooting approx. 33-34% from the field since Bonner got hurt..with Bonner out, the floor spacing is even worse, which again, limits Neal's open looks from range..while Neal does have ability to put the ball on the floor, it obviously doesn't compare to his long-range shooting..

So are you trying to tell me I better change my avatar? :wow

02-03-2011, 12:05 AM
let's hope he doesn't suffer from the mason phenomenon.

jestersmash
02-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Roger Mason Jr. had a pretty stroke with a poor/unorthodox "core" when shooting his 3 pointers .

Gary Neal has a solid, orthodox stroke and a solid, orthodox "core" when shooting 3s.

I'm not worried about Gary Neal degrading to the point that RMJ did because overall Neal's 3 point shot is simply more fundamentally sound.

I don't like his leaning 2 point runner in the lane much at all, though, and I wish he'd look to pass more or reset if he doesn't have a clear, open shot after he's run off the 3 point line.

SouthTexasRancher
02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
He'll come out of in front of the bright lights of the plastic stars this Thursday night as Charles 'Dumpy Frumpy BIG Mouth' tells the world the Spurs are not good and at least 47 teams will beat them in the playoffs.

ace3g
02-03-2011, 12:43 AM
The key is for Pop to know when Neal or JA are in a Slump; then you sub the other one in

Slippy
02-03-2011, 03:10 AM
Not finding the room to operate like before and mini shooting slump. Opposing teams know him well enough now. Needs to be a little more patient in offense which in turn should lead to better looks.

jjktkk
02-03-2011, 03:24 AM
he was bought in to be a 3pt shooter, not play the role of roger mason v2.0

his been doing alot of that lately which is not part of his game and is costing us when it results in a turnover easy basket

The big difference in Neal and Mason, is Neal will never pass up a shot, or be afraid to shoot, unlike Mason, who went into a shell and never recovered. Neal has the right mentality, which is to keep shooting, because every shooter gets in a slump and the only way to get out of a slump is to keep firing away. Another difference is Neal competes more on the defensive end than Mason. Neal is more hard nosed as well, so I don't really see a any similaraties between Mason and Neal.

8FOR!3
02-03-2011, 05:36 AM
I think people are way over analyzing this "situation"...

Fireball
02-03-2011, 06:02 AM
The key is for Pop to know when Neal or JA are in a Slump; then you sub the other one in

+1

A little more competition for playing time could bring Neal back on track, but I still won't call two bad games a slump ...

Josepatches_
02-03-2011, 06:09 AM
I think Neal is overrated .He's a good shooter but he's not the new MJ. He can help for sure.There are more Neals playing in Europe.A lot of players from US even better than Neal playing in Europe. At least doing a lot better than he did.He was waived in Spain.I'm really surprised he found his role in the NBA.

Neal is going to have good days but sometimes he is taking tough shots.He has to learn that he's not playing the same role he had in Europe.

UnWantedTheory
02-03-2011, 06:31 AM
I disagree. He was brought it to contribute. That means to take what the defense gives you. I don't think his drives are bad at all, and unlike RMJ, he seems to have that floater down. I though the couple he took yesterday were those he normally takes, they just rimmed out. Happens to everybody.

The big difference in Neal and Mason, is Neal will never pass up a shot, or be afraid to shoot, unlike Mason, who went into a shell and never recovered. Neal has the right mentality, which is to keep shooting, because every shooter gets in a slump and the only way to get out of a slump is to keep firing away. Another difference is Neal competes more on the defensive end than Mason. Neal is more hard nosed as well, so I don't really see a any similaraties between Mason and Neal.

UnWantedTheory
02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
I think Neal is overrated .He's a good shooter but he's not the new MJ. He can help for sure.There are more Neals playing in Europe.A lot of players from US even better than Neal playing in Europe. At least doing a lot better than he did.He was waived in Spain.I'm really surprised he found his role in the NBA.

Neal is going to have good days but sometimes he is taking tough shots.He has to learn that he's not playing the same role he had in Europe.
Not one person would ever think close to that. Whats the point of that statement?

UnWantedTheory
02-03-2011, 06:43 AM

I am relatively certain he understands the difference. He doesn't seem the same at all. He knows his role, which is to shoot. If there is a problem with his role, I am certain Pop would have addressed it by now. Basically, there is no problem. Shooters slump is all.

UnWantedTheory
02-03-2011, 06:50 AM

The fact is, that with all of these "better Neals", he is the one here. If they are as good, then they would be here, or will be. OUR Neal is here, & IMO,has exceeded expectations. Overrated? I don't think so. So far he has proven to be a valuable role player.

Slippy
02-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Not sure why fans would compare Neal to Mason who was getting good looks, if not wide open ones but kept missing. In the end (play-offs) , defenses and teammates didn't repect junior's shooting ability. Plus Neal's off the dribble and off the ball game is hell of a lot better.

Blake
02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
We've seen about half of one season of Neal. Maybe this isn't a slump. Maybe this is how Neal really is.

Harry Callahan
02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Maybe you should remember Neal got injured in Utah? and is not 100% right now. Give him time to get well and he'll be fine. Having Bonner out doesn't help like another poster said.

Maybe James Anderson can get out there and know down some 3's as well.

clambake
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
maybe he needs to team plow another chick in a coma.

cheguevara
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
i think he's a bit banged up, with problems in his knees and rear.

bingo

cheguevara
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
maybe he needs to team plow another chick in a coma.

are you volunteering yourself?

anonoftheinternets
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
He'll come out of in front of the bright lights of the plastic stars this Thursday night as Charles 'Dumpy Frumpy BIG Mouth' tells the world the Spurs are not good and at least 47 teams will beat them in the playoffs.

fabbs is that you?

PDXSpursFan
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
rookie wall?

spurtech09
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I think gary is still alittle banged up remember he hurt his knee so I think hes still dealing with that.....

xmas1997
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
There are at least 50 players in Europe that are better than Neal. Maybe even a 100.

If there are, then name at least two tall long SFs.

pjjrfan
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I like him and I"m glad he's here. Hopefully he will do the same things in the playoffs, I got my fingers crossed, we won't know till we get there, but this kid plays like he has been there and I gotta like that.

DMC
02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
And by this point in the season, there probably isn't an unknown contributor anymore...teams pretty much know whom to cover...
This.

A role player at his finest is one who can play the role. Gary plays the role, but when the role is taken from him, he tries to create and many times that fails. He's a catch and shoot guy. That's how we have to use him. When Bonner returns he will get more looks because Matt and J.A. will spread the floor. Right now Manu isn't the threat from outside that either of these guys are, imo.

DMC
02-04-2011, 07:23 PM
i think gary is still alittle banged up remember he hurt his knee so i think hes still nealing with that.....

fify

LakerHater
02-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Dont really remember him during the fLaker game but for this one play:

http://oi51.tinypic.com/e9yd74.jpg

LakerHater
02-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Still??

Solid D
02-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Another note: Neal is shooting approx. 34% from the field since Bonner got hurt..with Bonner out, the floor spacing is even worse, which again, limits Neal's open looks from range..while Neal does have ability to put the ball on the floor, it obviously doesn't compare to his long-range shooting..

Last 9 games w/o Bonner: 34% from the field..
10 previous games w/ Bonner: 44% from the field..

Excellent observation. Neal hasn't had much room to work in.

underdawg
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Excellent observation. Neal hasn't had much room to work in.

but yet Parker has been getting as much if not more scoring opportunities - maybe teams are paying more attention to Neal now?

Please help me understand this one question - why is Bonner open for most of his shots if he's indeed streching the defense?

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
but yet Parker has been getting as much if not more scoring opportunities - maybe teams are paying more attention to Neal now?

Please help me understand this one question - why is Bonner open for most of his shots if he's indeed streching the defense?

The majority of Bonner's 3-pointers are set up by the p&r, where he is originally the screen setter, or set plays that are intended for him..obviously he gets other open 3s from different scenarios, but the majority come from that..

Pop does run plays for Neal, occasionally, but he's not good enough to have the same amount of attention as Bonner(from a playcalling perspective), and you can't run a 1-2 p&r with Neal, he has too many flaws as a player for that to work on a consistent basis IMO..

Players like Bonner are very rare from an offensive standpoint..it's the reason that so many coaches value "stretch bigs", they are able to being versatility in the playcalling..

underdawg
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM
The majority of Bonner's 3-pointers are set up by the p&r, where he is originally the screen setter, or set plays that are intended for him..obviously he gets other open 3s from different scenarios, but the majority come from that..

Pop does run plays for Neal, occasionally, but he's not good enough to have the same amount of attention as Bonner(from a playcalling perspective), and you can't run a 1-2 p&r with Neal, he has too many flaws as a player for that to work on a consistent basis IMO..

Players like Bonner are very rare from an offensive standpoint..it's the reason that so many coaches value "stretch bigs", they are able to being versatility in the playcalling..

When you say other coaches value "stretch bigs" - are you referring to bigs that can shoot the 3 or are you mostly referring to bigs that can shoot outside the paint?

I ask this because I don't see any of the top teams having a big that gets significant minutes and is primarily used for shooting the 3. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cessation
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
He's playing better now, his shot selection is better, and he isn't rushing it as much.

lefty
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Neal with it

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
sometimes i wish he pulls a playbook out of NVE run down the floor and just pull up....lol

Solid D
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM

I didn't see that many open shots for Bonner tonight..nor for Neal nor RJ. There were a few but what I saw tonight versus the Rapters was loads of points in the paint (70). Parker, Hill and Manu used their speed and quickness with Duncan and Blair playing catch for lots of opportunities.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
When you say other coaches value "stretch bigs" - are you referring to bigs that can shoot the 3 or are you mostly referring to bigs that can shoot outside the paint?

I ask this because I don't see any of the top teams having a big that gets significant minutes and is primarily used for shooting the 3. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either one works, obviously the 3 is more valuable, but having a stretch big helps spacing, obviously..the answer is that Bonner's ability as a pick and pop player allows him to receive open looks, and teams can't overplay him, because he is usually playing the p&r with Parker and Ginobili..teams aren't going to choose Bonner, or any other Spurs role player, over Parker and Ginobili, from a defensive focus perspective..

It's not a necessity for teams, but it's obviously a luxury that most coaches would want nowadays..the Spurs have been winning games without Bonner this year, but the team has been even better when Bonner is on the floor, he's the best 3-point shooter in the NBA(% wise), and he does space things out for everybody..

Having a Bonner isn't essential, but that's not the question here, the question was how Bonner gets open looks..

All the top teams do have "stretch bigs" though, even if they don't necessarily shoot 3s(Garnett, Odom, Bosh)..

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2011, 11:39 PM
with or without open shots or playin against a zone, neal has the ability to penetrate and dish it out...the only problem i see is bonner who can penetrate against scrubs, but cant finish at the rim...he doesnt have the tear drop, but damn i wish he would just rushed into the key and just attempt to dunk it very hard to try and draw a foul...defenders dont usually take him serious out there cause they know his only a spot up shooter, if he can get his head out of his ass and learn just one penetrating move per quarter he be unstoppable...

Cane
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Gary Neal also suffered a groin pull, but said after the game that he should be fine.

http://www.nba.com/games/20110209/SASTOR/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021000777

Hopefully its nothing serious.

underdawg
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
All the top teams do have "stretch bigs" though, even if they don't necessarily shoot 3s(Garnett, Odom, Bosh)..

Big difference is that those players have other functioning roles. Bonner's team defense and rebounding has improved this year, but he's still average at best in both of those areas.

Can Bonner help the Spurs win a game by hitting some 3's - sure, but is he going to help the Spurs win games because of what he brings to the table in terms of defense and rebounding - that's probably not the case.

This is a different team than years past and the offense is obviously improved, but to I have a hard time thinking that the Spurs will be successful in the playoffs without a good defensive showing. I might be wrong, but I think Tiago could be more beneficial than Bonner because of his defensive potential in the playoffs vs. Bonner's 3 point capabilities and "stretch" role. Tiago needs minutes now to be ready by the playoffs.

Pop: "Just because we’ve got the best record doesn’t mean we have the best team. To be that, we definitely have to get better defensively.”

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Hopefully its nothing serious.

did he hit someones pelvis or pelvic?

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Big difference is that those players have other functioning roles. Bonner's team defense and rebounding has improved this year, but he's still average at best in both of those areas.

Can Bonner help the Spurs win a game by hitting some 3's - sure, but is he going to help the Spurs win games because of what he brings to the table in terms of defense and rebounding - that's probably not the case.

This is a different team than years past and the offense is obviously improved, but to I have a hard time thinking that the Spurs will be successful in the playoffs without a good defensive showing. I might be wrong, but I think Tiago could be more beneficial than Bonner because of his defensive potential in the playoffs vs. Bonner's 3 point capabilities and "stretch" role. Tiago needs minutes now to be ready by the playoffs.

Pop: "Just because we’ve got the best record doesn’t mean we have the best team. To be that, we definitely have to get better defensively.”

I'm not arguing for Bonner to have a starting role, or even a major role..I'm on record saying I would rather see Splitter and McDyess ahead of him..

This argument was about Bonner's importance to Neal's, and other Spurs' role players' shooting, and you asked how Bonner gets wide open shots, while others can't..that's what our argument is about, it had little to do with everything else..

I fully agree that the Spurs shouldn't rely on Bonner to play a major role in the playoffs..

underdawg
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm not arguing for Bonner to have a starting role, or even a major role..I'm on record saying I would rather see Splitter and McDyess ahead of him..

This argument was about Bonner's importance to Neal's, and other Spurs' role players' shooting, and you asked how Bonner gets wide open shots, while others can't..that's what our argument is about, it had little to do with everything else..

I fully agree that the Spurs shouldn't rely on Bonner to play a major role in the playoffs..

fair enough

Yorae
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Well, Neal is a whoppin plus 26 today.

Solid D
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Manu is actually in more of a 3-point slump on the RRT. In the 5 games so far, Manu is 7-25 (.280) from the arc.

LakerHater
02-11-2011, 09:48 PM
kinda lagged today!

Em-City
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
neal's D let him down today, but was one of the few players to shoot 50% +

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
"Neal with it" :lol

DJB
02-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I think Manu's the one in the slump.

spurtech09
02-12-2011, 11:08 AM
naw I think that knee is still bothering him....look how long bonner was out

DrSteffo
02-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Not really, he is good, Manu is slacking a bit.

rascal
02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Neal is a bench role player. Good games and bad games, inconsistent play- role player.

LakerHater
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM

http://s7.tinypic.com/34q3hja_th.jpg

Mr. Body
02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm so glad this guy is on the team and doing well. He's like a less space-cadety Jaren Jackson.

8FOR!3
02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Neal is a bench role player. Good games and bad games, inconsistent play- role player.

Eh there's nothing inconsistent about the guy. Face it, the dude's got swag. Just Neal with it. :lol

K-State Spur
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
the thing about neal is that i can almost tell by his feet and release whether or not the ball is going to go in. his normal form is so solid that he almost never misses when it's right.

for the most part, his game line is determined by the shots that he gets. he can obviously play above or below that on a given night, but i think that sets a pretty solid median.

duncan228
02-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Buck Harvey: For Neal, the lights can’t be too bright (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/buck-harvey-for-neal-the-lights-can%e2%80%99t-be-too-bright/)
Buck Harvey

The best rookie on the team with the best record will head to Los Angeles in a few days. Then, Gary Neal will face his scariest test yet.

What will he do when DeMarcus Cousins demands the ball in the rookie-sophomore game?

Neal got the joke, but what he said wasn’t particularly funny.

His answer mostly revealed, again, why he’s someone who belongs.

Monday night revealed that, too. Neal didn’t star, ending with 11 points. But he continued to remain as consistent as the 46-9 franchise he plays for.

He made a buzzer-beating floater to end the first quarter, an easier version of the one he made at the end of the first quarter earlier in the month against the Lakers.

And late in the third quarter, with the Nets still hanging around, Neal did what he does best.

Keep reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/buck-harvey-for-neal-the-lights-can%e2%80%99t-be-too-bright/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/buck-harvey-for-neal-the-lights-can%e2%80%99t-be-too-bright/

LakerHater
02-23-2011, 11:51 PM

http://209.160.24.97/ds_img_direct.php?i=gary43.gif&t=8&d=1fjdcjav7c&x=360&y=480&l1=169&l2=61

Buddy Holly
02-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Gary Neal plays...

http://images7.cpcache.com/product_zoom/393971527v0_400x400_Front.jpg

Seventyniner
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
http://209.160.24.97/ds_img_direct.php?i=neal43.gif&t=8&d=1fjdcjav7c&x=360&y=480&l1=169&l2=61

Someone's gotta make a gif of Pop putting his head in his hands right after that shot.

LakerHater
02-24-2011, 12:43 AM

http://209.160.24.97/ds_img_direct.php?i=gary43.gif&t=8&d=1fjdcjav7c&x=360&y=480&l1=169&l2=61

http://209.160.24.97/ds_img_direct.php?i=garylayin.gif&t=8&d=1fjdcjav7c&x=360&y=480&l1=169&l2=61

xmas1997
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
What slump????????????????

jb4g
02-24-2011, 09:25 AM
dude is a boss, took 5 stitches to the head and still balled. Not worried about this guy in the PO's, he will show up.

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Buck Harvey: Neal shows his other side – he’s little Jack
Posted on February 23, 2011 at 11:34 pm by Buck Harvey in Spurs

Gary Neal doesn’t look the same today. The five stitches on his face are just a start.

He looks ready for his first NBA playoff series. He looks as if he can pass, though his coaches still wonder. And he looks like someone from another time.

When Neal drove hard on Kevin Durant at the end of the third quarter, when the smarter play would have been to dribble down the clock, then pulled back when Durant relaxed, only to swish a 3-pointer, go back a few years.

Wouldn’t a former Spur named Stephen Jackson have done that?

One of the assistant coaches laughed Wednesday; he said he could see the comparison. In 2003, on the way to a title, Jackson made the craziest threes at the craziest times.

Keep reading - http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/23/buck-harvey-neal-shows-his-other-side-he%e2%80%99s-little-jack/

Solid D
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
According to Tim Griffin, Gary Neal has scored in double figures in the past 5 consecutive games. In those games, Gary has averaged 14.6 points per game, hitting 60.9 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from beyond the arc.

Muser
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
According to Tim Griffin, Gary Neal has scored in double figures in the past 5 consecutive games. In those games, Gary has averaged 14.6 points per game, hitting 60.9 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from beyond the arc.

:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

Insane figures.

The Truth #6
02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Neal has crazy confidence. That pull up three at the end of the quarter with 20 seconds left was gutsy considering how he must have known Pop would react if it didn't go in.