PDA

View Full Version : Celtics, Spurs play the right way

duncan228
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Celtics, Spurs play the right way (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Boston-Celtics-and-San-Antonio-Spurs-would-make-best-2011-NBA-Finals-020111)
Mitch Lawrence
Fox Sports

With all due respect to David Stern, Pat Riley, Miami’s Big Three, Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson, everybody at ABC and the millions of NBA fans who are dying to see a Miami Heat-L.A. Lakers Finals, we’ve got a better championship series waiting for you in June.

Boston-San Antonio.

That’s right, Celtics versus Spurs.

What’s that, if you’re forced to watch those two teams, you won’t need Sominex to help you get some sleep?

Sure, Boston-San Antonio wouldn’t have the glitz or glamour of a Lakers-Heat Finals and the first-ever June showdown between Kobe and LeBron. We have to admit, we’re rooting for that matchup because we’d like to see at least one Finals pitting the game’s top two players. As far as sheer entertainment goes, who wouldn’t want to see Lakers-Heat, especially with a lockout looming only a few weeks after they put the balls away for the season?

So we understand, a series putting the Celtics’ Big Three against the Spurs’ Big Three would not have the sizzle of a Heat-Laker series or the astronomical TV ratings.

But if the two teams currently leading the East and West — and who, incidentally, are showing no signs of letting up — were to meet in June, it would bring a smile to the faces of all the basketball junkies who aren’t carried away by the drama and daily soap operas surrounding the Lakers and Heat.

Who isn’t sick of the Heat by now? If you’re tired of Phil Jackson winning rings, who wouldn’t want to see him denied a fourth three-peat as he heads off into the sunset?

Yes, the NBA would lose the casual fan if Boston plays San Antonio. We can live with that. But there would still be lots of fans who appreciate the unselfish team concept of Boston and San Antonio, along with their strong defensive play, who would love to see these two franchises in their first-ever Finals showdown.

Compared to L.A. and Miami, the Celtics and Spurs don’t have any of the top superstars in the sport. At this stage, there isn’t even one player from Boston or San Antonio who would even crack the list of top 10 players in the league. Yet, there would be plenty of star power to give us one of the best Finals in recent years.

Above all, the team would be the star, rather than the individual. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

But here’s what Boston-San Antonio would give us: A series pitting two grizzled future Hall of Famers in Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan. That matchup wouldn’t bore anybody. How about Rajon Rondo, the NBA’s top assist man and perhaps its best playmaker, running the floor against Tony Parker? Not shabby. Sure, these are two teams that don’t have anyone ranked in the top 20 in scoring. But does anyone think that there wouldn’t be any offense, at all, if Paul Pierce and Manu Ginobili are on the floor? Throw in Ray Allen’s 3-point shooting and perhaps the last Finals fling for Shaquille O’Neal, along with Gregg Popovich’s quest for a fifth ring, while trying to deny Doc Rivers his second bling.

Keep Reading... (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Boston-Celtics-and-San-Antonio-Spurs-would-make-best-2011-NBA-Finals-020111)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Boston-Celtics-and-San-Antonio-Spurs-would-make-best-2011-NBA-Finals-020111

Giuseppe
02-02-2011, 10:20 PM
The good thing:::one of ya's would end up with the other 28 of us in last place.

bobby4germany
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for posting, good read. I would love to see a spurs - celtics finals!

Seventyniner
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd take it too. I'd take a Spurs vs. anyone Finals, actually.

honestfool84
02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Spurs and Celtics would honestly be an epic FINALS matchup. I'd also love to see the Spurs destroy the Heat...

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Celtics would win that series. Defense against offense, defense always wins.

JR21
02-03-2011, 12:09 AM
:wakeup

Great Articles Duncan228, keep em coming!

crc21209
02-03-2011, 12:19 AM
I've been wanting to see a Spurs-Celtics Finals since Boston acquired both KG and Ray. Imagine all the matchups...Rondo vs. Parker, Manu vs. Ray, Pierce vs. RJ, TD vs. KG, Blair vs. Big Baby.....

jestersmash
02-03-2011, 12:33 AM
The more appropriate match up is Manu vs Pierce. Pierce is more of the playmaker/Celtics analog to Manu. Ray Allen is a billionaire's Gary Neal, possibly better.

Ginobili vs Pierce

KG vs Duncan

Rondo vs Parker

Gary Neal vs Ray Allen (really, I'm sorry to insult someone of Ray's caliber by comparing him to Gary Neal. Believe me I'm not taking Ray's skill for granted, I know how ridiculously good he is, but this is the most analogous match up we have. Obviously Ray is just laughably superior to Gary Neal)

Or maybe RJ vs Ray Allen? RJ does shoot more 3s this year. Eh...maybe not.

Blair vs Big Baby

SouthTexasRancher
02-03-2011, 12:48 AM
The gay sissified David Stern will do everything possible to see that his love child, Jamie Lebra, gets himself a ring finally. As everyone knows Jamie needs outside help to get a ring. David Stern will kneel down and kiss Jamie's ring in front of the world. So our Spurs and the Celtics will have to play superior bball to overcome the crap out of NBA headquarters who want the annointed one to get annointed this season! So I say to hell with little David Stern and his lover Jamie Lebra (sorry HarlemHeat but Sternie loves Jamie more than you do). :ihit

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2011, 01:53 AM
that was pretty good, and I agree that that series would be awesome..and extremely nerve-racking.

Tp9gospursgo
02-03-2011, 02:00 AM
that was pretty good, and I agree that that series would be awesome..and extremely nerve-racking.

Most definitely nerve-racking. Just imagine being up by 2 with less than ten seconds to go? With ray allen in the game...scary.

Spursmania
02-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Most definitely nerve-racking. Just imagine being up by 2 with less than ten seconds to go? With ray allen in the game...scary.

Remember when Bowen would guard Allen? Miss you Bruce:(

duncan_21
02-03-2011, 02:21 AM
What’s that, if you’re forced to watch those two teams, you won’t need Sominex to help you get some sleep?

How are these 2 boring teams. I don't get it, are writers just complete retards these days? I'm not even going to explain why these 2 teams aren't boring. What would be boring is cavs vs kings.

KenziE
02-03-2011, 07:35 AM
How are these 2 boring teams. I don't get it, are writers just complete retards these days? I'm not even going to explain why these 2 teams aren't boring. What would be boring is cavs vs kings.

agree

GrandeDavid
02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Everybody but Garnett plays the right way. What a fake arrogance that loudmouth carries around. I don't think there's ever been a more annoying player ever. Then you have that whiner Ray Allen - mama duet....I'm not into the Celtics.

Giuseppe
02-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Everybody but Garnett plays the right way.

Neal's rape squares that.

ElNono
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Neal's rape squares that.

Sneaking in again, uh? :lol

Or you got a daily pass since we play the Lakeshow?

Giuseppe
02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Sneaking in again, uh? :lol

Or you got a daily pass since we play the Lakeshow?

I'm thinkin' about relocating, El.

ElNono
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm thinkin' about relocating, El.

It's a calmer place here, you just gotta dot the i's and cross the t's so you don't get on The Queen's bad side.

Giuseppe
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
It's a calmer place here, you just gotta dot the i's and cross the t's so you don't get on The Queen's bad side.

The Princess does indeed run a taut ship.

A more adorable bundle just doesn't exist.

Agloco
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Not at all, just put Bruce on him.......

Oh wait a minute. :depressed

Giuseppe
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
We left Allen alone in Game 7 and he shit himself.

He wouldn't be your death knell.

Phenomanul
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
We left Allen alone in Game 7 and he shit himself.

He wouldn't be your death knell.

Kendrick Perkins....

Giuseppe
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Kendrick Perkins....

& Daddy too. He gets that far he'd be a driven human being.

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Don't forgot Pierce too. That's even scarier, 2 players that can bury you at the end of any game regardless of how they played throughout.

Back to the focus of the article, the difference between the Spurs and Celtics is that the Spurs developed no-names into all-stars, nobodies into solid role players. Even more impressive, they did these things very efficiently. How fast did it take for Manu & Tony to go from unrecognized foreigners to complete studs? How about IUPUI and Towson products Hill and Neal into respectable role players?

The Spurs are undoubtedly...undoubtedly the best franchise in the league given with what they start with.

shelshor
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Spurs vs Celtics in the Finals--that oughtta make $tern$ head explode

xtremesteven33
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
The scary thing is we need Spilitter to start playing like a man and not like a boy. Were gonna need his size and skill to go against all those Celtic bigs. Im so dissapointed in Splitter so far....

SenorSpur
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
The scary thing is we need Spilitter to start playing like a man and not like a boy. Were gonna need his size and skill to go against all those Celtic bigs. Im so dissapointed in Splitter so far....

True. But first off, we need the coach to allow the Big Brazilian to get some time of the floor.

xtremesteven33
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
True. But first off, we need the coach to allow the Big Brazilian to get some time of the floor.

Yes but I truly think Splitter is not going to contribute much if he cant learn to stand his ground and not fall if he stepped on a land mine.

You cant teach toughness.

PDXSpursFan
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Spurs vs Celtics in the Finals--that oughtta make $tern$ head explode

Stern will not allowed it. He'll make sure that it is Lakers-Heat.

100%duncan
02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Great article

TampaDude
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Yup...Spurs and Celtics in the Finals...EPICNESS!!!

spursballer21
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Maybe, I'm being I'm a homer or something,but only the Spurs play the right way. Boston got two of there big three through draft, and the Spurs have gotten there big three from the draft. Playing the correct way is not cheating through free agency.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Maybe, I'm being I'm a homer or something,but only the Spurs play the right way. Boston got two of there big three through draft, and the Spurs have gotten there big three from the draft. Playing the correct way is not cheating through free agency.

Eh, we tanked to get Duncan. More than one way to skin a cat.

silverblk mystix
02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Eh, we tanked to get Duncan. More than one way to skin a cat.

I call B.S.

D rob was injured and the rest of the team was shit. Additionally...you still had to pray that the lotto balls went our way...they did...Timmy arrived and it was all legit.

Stop giving credence to that B.S. tanking premise.

Supergirl
02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
As a Spurs fan living in Boston, this would be my dream Finals matchup. I've been hoping for it ever since KG and Allen came to Boston, and I think this might finally be the year for it.

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Then you have Rondo, completely full of himself, most arrogant and conceited player I can think of......"Chris Paul wishes he were me. Chris Paul wishes he had a ring like I do."

I hope Rondo gets destroyed in the next playoff series he's in; preferably ECSF, ECF, or Finals Celts-Spurs.

ALVAREZ6
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Then you have Rondo, completely full of himself, most arrogant and conceited player I can think of......"Chris Paul wishes he were me. Chris Paul wishes he had a ring like I do."

I hope Rondo gets destroyed in the next playoff series he's in; preferably ECSF, ECF, or Finals Celts-Spurs.

I agree. CROFL, as I've brought up before, just wait until this year is over because it'll be his last shot at an NBA title. The Celts won't be stronger than this, and the Bulls and Heat are on their way up. Once KG, Shaq, Ray Allen, and Pierce all retire, Rondo will have no one to pass to, which means he'll have to do some more shooting of his own..and we all know he can't do that for SHIT.

Everyone in Boston will be asking WTF happened to their #1 PG in the world. ALIVE. RONDO THE GREATEST.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I call B.S.

D rob was injured and the rest of the team was shit. Additionally...you still had to pray that the lotto balls went our way...they did...Timmy arrived and it was all legit.

Stop giving credence to that B.S. tanking premise.

I'm probably one of the bigger homers on this site, and even I can admit we tanked. And you know what? It was a smart fucking move, and I'm perfectly ok with it. The team WAS shit, so there was no point in rushing players back from injury. Praying for lotto balls only goes so far.

rmt
02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Celtics are too deep. I'd be glad that the Spurs are in the Finals, but I don't think they can beat BOS in a 7 game series.

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Celtics are too deep. I'd be glad that the Spurs are in the Finals, but I don't think they can beat BOS in a 7 game series.

Well, let's beat them in 5 or 6 games, then. :blah

howbouthemspurs
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
It is the media that still labels the Spurs boring to watch and that just drives me crazy! Whenever i watch ESPN and one of the commentators puts the word boring in the same sentence as the Spurs, it just further mongers the mind of the casual fan making them uninterested and believing the label. Like when someone says " Well they may be boring to watch, the Spurs are still the best team in the league".... or "They may not be as exciting as the Heat or the Lakers but the Spurs can run with the best of them". Are these fuckers actually watching the whole game? Of course not! How can a team that has players like Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili be called boring? I see highlight plays every time I watch them! Just because they dont fist pump their chest and scream obnoxiously to the fans every time they dunk or start fights when they dont get their way or throw up stupid gang signs to their homeboys at home, does not make them boring to watch! The Spurs vs Celtics would be the most epic series of the past decade! I dont see how anyone would not want to watch this! Both teams who play the right way without all the drama and premadonnas. Their are still heavy hitters in the matchups! Duncan vs Garnet and Shaq in the ultimate battle of the big men! Parker vs Rondo, two of the fastest point guards in the game! And then their is Ginobili and Jefferson vs Pierce and Allen! You cant get any better than that!