PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game Quotes Lakers Game 2-3-11

duncan228
02-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Sorry for the formatting, cleaned it up a bit.

Post-Game Quotes

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich

on the final seconds of tonight's game: "I guess that's why they play the games…you never know what's going to happen. We obviously were fortunate, but, you know, neither team could really score tonight. It looked like we were both struggling to get the ball in the bucket. You saw the jumpers that they were taking and the ones that we were taking, and nothing was dropping. Fortunately McDyess went to the offensive board and got it done."

on Tony Parker's performance: "Tony [Parker] was great. He kept us together like he has all year long, and just did a fantastic job. Didn't get big numbers, I don't keep the ball in his hands as much, there's a lot of other point guards, and he just keeps on motoring, and again, did a great job tonight."

on their defense in tonight's game: "It was alright. I'll look at the film. It wasn't stellar; we didn't amaze anybody with our defense. But we played, we continued to play throughout the night, we didn't give in. Both teams played hard. As I said, nobody could make a shot it seemed, and we just plowed through it, we played physically, and everybody gave effort on both teams. We shot the last shot I guess. Had there been one more shot maybe they would've won."

on their defense on Kobe Bryant: "I thought we did as good a job as you can do on Kobe Bryant. You know, he's the best player on the planet and we showed 'em a crowd, and after that you've got to live with what you get."

on the shots in the last possession of tonight's game: "Yeah. Yeah, you know, we had a lot of good shots down the stretch, but I thought they did too. But, we got what we wanted, we didn't drop, and the unexpected thing happened. Nobody drew up McDyess to go to the hole and tap it in, obviously. So we were fortunate."

Spurs’ Tony Parker

on the last play of the game: “Had a penetration, had a great look from Manu [Ginobili], had a great look for a three pointer. Then the ball came to me, that’s my shot, teardrop, you know, in and out…we all missed, and [Antonio] McDyess saved us.”

on what it took to get his offense going: “It was just one of those games, just weird, the flow of the game. I didn’t get many opportunities at the beginning of the game. I missed a couple shots and the team was playing well. I didn’t get anything in the second half…”

on if this is their best character win of the year: “You can put it in the top three. It’s definitely a great feeling. Lakers are still the best team and they’re the team we want to beat. The record doesn’t mean anything, you have to win championships.”

Spurs’ Richard Jefferson

on the game tonight: “Last time we played against them I got a bunch of them up just because the way the rotations are and they’re such a great shift team. They make you shoot from the outside. So I kind of came in to this game mentally ready to just shoot them. Whether you make them all, miss them all. Tonight more went in…”

on if this win is a character win for the team: “It’s pretty high. That’s a great team over there. They’re the best team in the NBA. Regardless what everybody says, who’s playing well. They’re the best team…there won’t be a new champion until they [Lakers] lose in the playoffs, regardless of any drama that people try and stir up around here. That’s a great team over there.”

Spurs’ Antonio McDyess

on the game tonight: “Very exciting, especially after the lost against Portland [Trailblazers] the other night. So it’s pretty good to get a win like that.”

Lakers coach Phil Jackson

on Antonio McDyess' game winning tip-in: "He should've boxed him out. Too many opportunities at the end of the game. They had four attempts and it cost us."

on the Lakers play: "It was a good game. Defensively we played well; it got away from us a little with some screen-rolls in the 4th quarter. We had to fight our way back into it."

on Ron Artest's extended minutes especially in the 4th quarter: "I thought he did a great job on [Manu] Ginobili. I don't know even what Ginobili scored but I thought he was the one that was creating stops."

on shooting 14.3% from downtown: "We were competitive but our shooting is not good. You have to give some credit to the defense but there was a lot of open shots that we missed tonight and our three-point shooting was really bogus."

on Kobe Bryant's offensive performance (16pts, 9 rbs, 10 ast): "Not a good shooting night for him – he'll be better. You have to do that with this team and if he wasn't shooting the ball well he's going to find a way to make a play."

on the upcoming road trip: "Yes, I am curious. It's always fun to go out and have to take on a series of teams on the road. We're playing well on the road as a basketball team and we know it but we just have to keep playing that way."

Lakers' guard Kobe Bryant

on the last play of the game: "They just got a great bounce. It bounced right to him."

on tonight's game: "It was an ugly game. I think both teams didn't shoot the ball particularly well. They shot it better in stretches than we did. We gave ourselves an opportunity to win the game, they just got a great bounce."

Lakers' forward Lamar Odom

on losing at the buzzer: "It's a tough game that we wanted. Anytime you lose a game like this it hurts a little bit."

on if tonight's loss has any effect on the upcoming road trip: "We don't really get too down or too up. We kind of stay even keel and prepare for the next game. We play New Orleans next, that's our focus."

on San Antonio's defense: "They're a tough defensive team. They know what they want to do. Obviously they have experience, and they're well-coached and disciplined team. They make you work for every basket."

on Antonio McDyess' tip-in: "It was a team effort. It goes to show you that the game is a team game. And you put yourself in position to make a play, then you make it. Tonight, San Antonio made it."

Lakers' forward Pau Gasol

on how big of a setback tonight's loss was: "I don't know how big it is, but obviously it is a setback. It was a game that we would have loved to win. We did a lot of good things tonight. We had the game in our hands and couldn't grab that rebound at the end."

on if tonight's game was positive at all: "It feels a lot better to have a chance to win the game than to lose by ten plus points. It's tough when you're struggling. We're hitting the road and we'll have an opportunity to get it together and get back on the right track."

Lakers' forward Ron Artest

on the difference at the end of the game: "The game was basically even. Today they got a tip-in… we'll get a crack at them again."

[B]on moving past tonight's loss: "For me it's try to get the next one. You put it behind you, try to get the next one, and go hard. Just play harder, try to make less mistakes and just go back and execute once again."

Lakers' center Andrew Bynum

on tonight's game: "We needed to win this game. It sucks that we didn't. But now we're going on the road and we're just going to have to establish something out there, away from home."

http://www.nba.com/lakers/

YODA
02-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks for getting it. Was about to give up and go to bed.
gj and gn

MI21
02-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Both teams played hard.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0222/nba_g_wallace_268.jpg

MI21
02-04-2011, 03:33 AM
"They just got a great bounce. It bounced right to him."

"It was an ugly game. I think both teams didn't shoot the ball particularly well. They shot it better in stretches than we did. We gave ourselves an opportunity to win the game, they just got a great bounce."

I can't recall Kobe being so butthurt towards the oppositions win in a postgame interview before.

It wasn't a great bounce, McDyess made it a great bounce by getting in position, timing his leap, having a soft touch and not giving up on the play.

Kobe mad.

trollt
02-04-2011, 03:47 AM
I've dogged Odom for years but I'm gonna eat some crow and say these are some decent comments from him and he generally has proper reverence for the game. His head's screwed on straight.

*doffs hat*

Crazymaddopeyo
02-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Kobe real mad.

awktalk
02-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Don't group this loss with others (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=6089392)
The Lakers lost to the league-leading Spurs, but this time the effort was a worthy one

LOS ANGELES -- We feel the need to group things in our society, from keeping the socks with the other socks in the underwear drawer to separating who we follow into similarly sorted columns in our TweetDeck.

By that logic, the Los Angeles Lakers' 89-88 loss at the buzzer to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday will be put in the context of the purple and gold's continued struggles against the league's elite teams, but it shouldn't be.

Antonio McDyess' tip-in as time expired dropped the Lakers' record to 1-6 against the five teams ahead of them in the standings -- San Antonio, Boston, Miami, Dallas and Chicago.

Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty ImagesKobe Bryant said the Lakers did a better job contesting opportunities in their loss to the Spurs.
Even though a loss is a loss, Thursday's effort shouldn't be grouped in with those other shameful results because the Lakers played like the Lakers.

They played like the team that won back-to-back championships and the team that a Western Conference general manager told me this week was still the best team in the West despite the fact they trail the Spurs by a handful of games.

Amazingly, Gregg Popovich himself, San Antonio's soldier on the sidelines, agreed with the unnamed GM before the game saying, "I think they're the best, I really do."

It might have taken until Game No. 50 out of 82 on the schedule for the Lakers to look like the best against one of the league's upper-echelon teams, but now they have 32 games to replicate it and prove Pop's point by developing a rhythm before the playoffs.

Was it anything like the Boston game? The Celtics went up by nine at the start of the fourth quarter and the Lakers couldn't rally, eventually falling by 14. Against San Antonio they found themselves down by eight with 8:04 remaining and methodically chipped away at the lead until Pau Gasol made two free throws to put them back up by one with 22.7 seconds left.

"We didn't give them as many open looks," said Kobe Bryant, comparing the loss to the top-seeded team in the West with the top-seeded team in the East. "Tonight we did a much better job contesting opportunities."

Said Lakers coach Phil Jackson: "We got some stops, we made some plays, we got some run-outs. Those things are very important for a basketball team to do that. Defensively, we responded. That was important."

Ron Artest shot 1-for-10 from the field against the Celtics and reports swirled in the days following about Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak considering trade opportunities and Artest privately pining for a move. Against the Spurs, Artest looked every bit as effective as he did during the playoff run last season, racking up 13 points on 6-for-11 shooting, five assists and two steals while holding newly-minted All-Star Manu Ginobili to just 14 points on 5-for-17 shooting.

It wasn't just that Artest played well, but Jackson revealed that the forward "got a lot of support from his teammates," which shows that this Lakers team has a tendency to bind together rather than fall apart in times of trouble.

"I thought he did a great job on Ginobili," Jackson said. "I don't know even what Ginobili scored, but I thought he was the one that was creating stops."

Was it anything like the first time they played San Antonio? That game the Lakers lost by 15. Bryant went 8-for-27 from the field, missing 13 straight shots at one point and had only one assist. Thursday, Bryant had nine fewer shots and nine more assists, finishing the game with 16 points and 10 assists.

Was it anything like the loss in Dallas? The Mavericks beat the Lakers by nine, scoring 109 points while shooting a blistering 55 percent from the field. The Spurs shot just 41.2 percent and didn't break 90.

"It was a good game," Jackson said as his first answer to a question after Thursday's game. "Defensively we played well."

IT'S L.A., AND IT'S LIVE

ESPNLosAngeles.com For more coverage of the complete Los Angeles sports scene, visit ESPNLA.com. »

Was it anything like the Christmas Day debacle against Miami? The Lakers didn't look like they could be bothered to break a sweat in that one. What about the loss in Chicago? In that game, the Lakers missed crucial free throws and 3-pointers in the final minute. Against San Antonio, they made them.

The Lakers were juggling a lot coming into the game, from suppressing Bryant's Black Mamba mode to growing Gasol's Black Swan persona to getting Artest back on track and even offering a lift for Lamar Odom -- the most happy-go-lucky Laker -- on a night he was bummed out about being snubbed for the All-Star game.

And they did it against the Spurs and their league-leading 41-8 record.

So you could group it as another game where the Lakers lost when entering the fourth quarter with a deficit (they're 1-8 in that scenario) or another game where the Spurs won when entering the fourth with a lead (they're 34-1 in that scenario), but it was game that deserved to be distinguished on its own.

It was a loss, sure, but not as bad as the rest.

awktalk
02-04-2011, 04:10 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2011/02/what-the-mcdyess-tip-saves/

What the McDyess tip saves
Posted on 02/04/2011 by Buck Harvey

Gregg Popovich was walking through the locker room the other night with a plate of food, ready to join his staff for a late dinner after beating the Rockets. And then he stopped with a serious look on his face.

“What do you think?” he asked. “We’re gonna lose what, one, maybe two more games the rest of the season?”

He gave a shrug, as if he had no answer. It was the kind of comical, can-you-believe-what-we-are-doing attitude that has been going on since the first week of the season.

And that’s another reason the final possession Thursday night meant more than just one win. If Antonio McDyess hadn’t done what he did, with a game the next night in Sacramento, would the Spurs continue to feel so blessed?

Games in February don’t often matter, which is what the Lakers keep telling themselves. A long regular season comes with dips, and the Lakers have time to find what they are missing. They slumped at the end of last season, after all, before winning a second consecutive championship.

The Spurs know firsthand how this works. Even in their best years they were often stuck in midseason as the Lakers are — wondering what they had and whether a trade would fix anything. So when Popovich said before Thursday’s game that the Lakers are the best in the Western Conference, he was not being generous. The Lakers might be, and losing at the last second doesn’t mean they aren’t.

Still, winning at the last second has an effect on the Spurs. They had fallen badly in the fourth quarter in Portland, and losing a tight game in Los Angeles would have dragged into Friday night in Sacramento. The Kings have been playing well, with wins against the Lakers and Hornets before losing a close one to Boston, and they haven’t played since Tuesday. Losing three in a row to start the Rodeo Road Trip would have been a real possibility.

So then came the last possession, with the McDyess tip. And there was Popovich, clapping and smiling as he rarely has after any game, still with the comical, can-you-believe-what-we-are-doing attitude.

McDyess’ final tip is the one everyone will remember, especially Lamar Odom. McDyess out-worked him to get position inside, and Odom admitted as much afterward. “I got caught watching a little bit,” he told reporters.

But that was just one play McDyess made in the final possession. When Manu Ginobili missed an open 3-pointer, McDyess got the offensive rebound. And when Tony Parker missed the following floater, McDyess was the one battling for the rebound that eventually went off of a Laker out of bounds.

Don’t forget this, too: At the end of the first quarter Gary Neal gave a sign of what was to come, beating the buzzer with an impossible shot as he faded behind the backboard. Who tipped the ball to him? McDyess.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2011, 06:32 AM
McDyess the great! Just one of the reasons he's far from being done.

Rebounds
02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Dice. The latest reincarnation of Rob Horry. Even the unintentional blow to the face of P. Gasol a reminder of Horry's brand of physical play per Sun's Nash hipcheck.
Rodeo Road Trip Miracle Tip-In now officially in my Spurs Hall Of Fame memories!

DMC
02-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Dice. The latest reincarnation of Rob Horry. Even the unintentional blow to the face of P. Gasol a reminder of Horry's brand of physical play per Sun's Nash hipcheck.
Rodeo Road Trip Miracle Tip-In now officially in my Spurs Hall Of Fame memories!
No.