PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown joins Cavs

goliath
05-31-2005, 12:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2072213

Updated: May 31, 2005, 12:07 AM ET
Next Cavs president? Brown plans to be it

By Chad Ford

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert got one Brown -- new head coach Mike Brown -- added to the payroll in recent days. Will he have another to add in the coming weeks?

Larry Brown has told two league sources that he plans to take the Cavaliers' offer to become their next team president. According to the sources, who spoke to ESPN.com on Monday evening, Brown said he would accept the position after the Pistons' season is over.

Larry Brown has refused to discuss the Cavs' offer publicly with reporters.
Brown is still under contract to Detroit, which trails the Miami Heat 2-1 in the Eastern Conference finals, and sources say he will continue to maintain publicly that he won't decide his future with the Pistons until 72 hours after their season is over. Given that timetable, pressing medical issues, his history of unpredictable decisions, and the fact he can't formally sign a contract with the Cavs until he resigns from his job with the Pistons, Brown's future in the NBA won't be certain until he attends a news conference for the Cavaliers to formally announce his hiring.

ESPN.com talked to a Cavs source who refused to confirm or deny whether Brown had given them an answer.

Reached earlier Monday by The Associated Press as he watched a movie with his daughter, Brown refused comment other than to say: "If I'm healthy, my goal is to be the coach of the Detroit Pistons. That's the only thing that's really real."

In recent days, Brown has said repeatedly that he intends to check into a hospital after the season is over because of a serious medical condition. The condition has developed as a result of midseason hip surgery he underwent, and Brown wants a medical evaluation. However, sources maintain that while Brown's medical condition might keep him from coaching again, they do not believe it is serious enough to keep him from working as a team president.

Still, the sources claim that Cavaliers ownership pushed Brown to give them an answer this weekend before they lost out on other top candidates for the job. After hearing Larry Brown's answer, events leading to Mike Brown's hire were set in motion.

Pacers senior vice president David Morway, who had been the frontrunner to get the Cavaliers' GM position before Cleveland began flirting with Brown, had given ownership until Monday evening to make a decision before he had to withdraw from consideration. On Monday, Morway found out that the Cavs were going in another direction.

"I'm in a great situation in Indiana working for Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird, and have no desire to leave unless an unbelievable opportunity came along," Morway told ESPN.com. "When I first interviewed, I was told that the general manager position would have full authority over basketball-related decisions and report directly to ownership.

"However, over the course of the last week, they indicated that they were exploring hiring a high-profile team president that would have full control of all basketball decisions. After talking with ownership, it appears that's the direction they are going and as a result, I am no longer a candidate for the GM position.

"I appreciate the interest they showed in me and wish them the best of luck in the future."

Morway refused to confirm or deny that Brown was being targeted for hire by the Cavs.

Signs, however, are everywhere that Brown is coming aboard. Newly hired head coach Mike Brown is the protégé of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, a close friend and confidant of Larry Brown.

Mike Brown also has reportedly contacted Randy Ayers, a former Larry Brown assistant and former coach of the Sixers, about an assistant coach's position.

The Cavs also recently interviewed Wizards director of player personnel Milt Newton for the vacant GM position. Newton played for Brown at Kansas and is another close friend who might be targeted to take over the day-to-day operations of the

E20
05-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Didn't say that he would love to see himself ending his career in Detroit?

iminlakerland
is this really confirmed already? or is it speculation?

ShoogarBear
Unbelievable. Larry's outdone himself now. Think this won't be a distraction for the Pistons?

HB22inSA
05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Think this won't be a distraction for the Pistons?
Really, after his team going down 2-1 to the Heat.

It's like saying, hey guys, it's over for me in Detroit. He almost abandoned his team in the middle of a playoff series.

Maybe he did it to piss them off for losing their composure in Game 3.

Kori Ellis
He's such a jerk for this. He couldn't wait another week or two?!

goliath
According to ESPN, league sources have confirmed it to them.

Brown cant confirm it b/c he is under contract witht the Pistons and that minor problem of his team still being in the playoffs

goliath
05-31-2005, 12:06 AM
I also heard, but did not see it myself, that ESPN NBA fastbreak reported it

Spurminator
05-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Think of it as a two week notice....

:lol

I don't know... I'd like to think he had adequately prepared his team for the reality that he would not be returning next year, so maybe this isn't the shock we all think it would be.

If not, then he really is a monumental douche.

HB22inSA
The timing is odd, but I wouldn't think Brown would do anything to intentionally hurt his team.

Unless his hip hurts so bad that he just wants it to be over with.

??

pjjrfan
That's Larry Brown, there's no denying he is a great coach, but he was schizo when he was here, why would anyone think he had changed any.

myhc
05-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Guy is a great coach but he's always had an ugly, greasy side to him I never liked. Like last summer's Olympics, pretty much blaming the team and everybody else for the losses except HIMSELF. This is a bullshit, punk move on his part. I can't imagine how betrayed the Pistons must feel by this.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2005, 03:03 AM
It will be interesting to see the fan reception for him the next game.

Like I said before, I can't really get too much sympathy for the Pistons, seeing as how the sleaze factor was really high in the whole circumstances of the Brown quitting Philly/Detroit firing Carlisle/Detroit hiring Brown scenario.

JMarkJohns
05-31-2005, 03:06 AM
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0505/31/F01-198608.htm

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Brown says there's no deal with Cavs

By Bob Wojnowski / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- Larry Brown had read enough and heard enough. For days, he'd seen his name linked tightly to the team president job in Cleveland and heard the insinuation he was becoming a distraction to his own team.

So with his anger rising as he watched San Antonio-Phoenix on TV Monday night, Brown felt compelled to respond, particularly because some media reports have his move to Cleveland nearly a done deal.

"I'm telling you, there's no deal in place," Brown said late Monday. "I haven't done one thing. I've never met (Cavs owner) Dan Gilbert. Now all of a sudden, people are implying there's a distraction, that's what bothers me. Why do I have to keep responding to this?"

Well, because it won't go away, and because everyone knows his health issues could force him out of coaching and end his Detroit stint after two seasons. For all his feistiness, Brown knows he can't, in all honesty, squash the Cleveland speculation. But he can rant about the timing, with the Pistons trailing Miami, 2-1.

Brown is mad at some in the media, but truthfully, he should be mad at the novice ownership in Cleveland, and mad at himself for letting this courtship unfold now, during the Eastern Conference Finals.

Frankly, the Cavaliers' desperate pursuit of Brown, besides being unseemly and amateurish, doesn't fit the Hall of Fame coach. Brown is a coach, not a short-term, stopgap NBA team president, a job that doesn't suit him.

He shouldn't allow himself to be used as a big-name gimmick to boost the credibility of a rookie owner, Detroit's own Gilbert. Of course, the only way Brown can end the reports is to stop playing along with the Cavs' ridiculously timed flirtation, before an annoyance does become a distraction.

Offered that option, Brown wouldn't bite.

"We lose one game and it's a distraction?" he said. "My players have not asked me one time about it, and they're all aware of what's going on. You think in the last five minutes of that (Game 3 loss), my players are worried about me going to Cleveland?"

Late Monday, ESPN reported Brown planned to take the Cavs' offer after the season. Asked to respond to various reports, Brown didn't try to refute each one, but pleaded for perspective.

"Why do I have to say anything?" he said. "Why should I have to say I'm not interested in Cleveland?

I've said I want to be here, coach my team and fulfill my contract. My health is a concern, and at the end of the season, I'll get it checked out. End of story. Period."

It's never the end of the story with Brown, 64, who has coached seven NBA teams. For instance, what if his health makes coaching impossible, at least in the short term?

"No what-ifs," he said. "I don't want to think of that situation. I want to find out if I can physically coach any longer. I might go somewhere else if I can't coach but that's not my goal. My goal is to be the coach of Detroit, and this is the last place I'm gonna coach."

Although many already have Brown ticketed for Cleveland, I'm not convinced it's done. He says his timetable hasn't changed, that he'll decide within 72 hours after the season whether to stay or go.

A front-office job would keep Brown in basketball without the rigors of coaching, at least initially, but the move still doesn't make much sense. Player procurement never has been his strength. He's a coach.

Does he really want to work for fledgling ownership that already has racked up a batch of gaffes, and is tied to the whims of one player, LeBron James? And why wouldn't Brown take a year off to get his health in order, then go back to what he loves -- coaching?

There's no tangible evidence his team is distracted, although the theory was fueled by the Pistons' odd loss of composure late in Game 3. The Pistons looked like a frustrated, confused team, although the officiating had something to do with it.

We're certainly not dismissing the champs' chances, and we're not denying the brilliance of Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal. The Pistons aren't falling apart, and in fact, we expect them to deliver incredible effort tonight.

But it is officially dangerous, and they know it. It couldn't hurt if Brown picked up the phone, called the Cavs and told them to back off, he's a little busy right now.

Players, to their credit, have consistently brushed aside the speculation.

"I can't speak for everybody, but it doesn't affect me at all," Chauncey Billups said. "We're all focused on one goal, trying to defend our title."

The issue is growing tiresome but it's not the reason the Pistons trail. Still, you don't have to look far -- hmm, last year's personal-agenda Lakers come to mind -- to find teams undone by the slightest drop in concentration.

Brown still works hard, still runs every practice, still is committed to this playoff run. But he should be offended if Gilbert and his staff are pressuring him for an answer. According to reports, the Cavs even hired Indiana Pacers associate coach Mike Brown, reportedly on Larry Brown's recommendation.

"There's no pressure on me other than trying to win right now," Brown said. "I want to end on my terms as a coach, finish this and get myself well. You've never heard me say I didn't love it here."

Pistons president Joe Dumars doesn't want to say much. Besides, he knew exactly what he was getting when he hired Brown two years ago.

"Larry has been great with me through this process," Dumars said. "We're in each other's office every day talking about what's best for the team."

What's best for the Pistons is a return to the growling focus that makes them so tough. The question is, can Brown demand more from his team if he has other issues to deal with?

He says he just wants to coach, so that's what he should do, and begin by finding a way to slow Wade. To kill the distraction talk, he should remind his players how good he is, and how good they are, when driven by one purpose and one purpose only.

ducks
05-31-2005, 09:15 AM
There Is An Article In The Nba Forum
Pistons Did Not Even Give Him Persmission To Talk To The Cavs Tell The Season Is Over

AlamoSpursFan
05-31-2005, 10:44 AM
This is the same schmuck who ditched the Spurs to go coach the FREAKING Clippers MID-SEASON.

Nothing he does will surprise me.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
"Why do I have to say anything?" he said. "Why should I have to say I'm not interested in Cleveland?

I've said I want to be here, coach my team and fulfill my contract. My health is a concern, and at the end of the season, I'll get it checked out. End of story. Period."

So is he denying that he already talked to Cleveland?

DDS4
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
I can't believe anyone until it's officially announced.

ESPN or any other news source could be wrong...and they've been wrong before. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I think Brown is denying everything to avoid the situation from being a distraction.

Too late.

wildbill2u
05-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Hasn't he said that in about a dozen places where he's worked?

King
05-31-2005, 12:01 PM

He said he'd end his coaching career with Detroit.