PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades - Spurs @ Lakers - 2/3

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
The regular season doesn't matter. At least, that's what Lakers fans will come away saying after the Spurs dealt an 89-88 blow to their hopes for a #1 seed, pushing the Spurs further ahead in the standings. It also has to give one pause to think, because for a game that didn't matter, the latest chapter in the Lakers-Spurs rivalry had all the intensity of a game in May. Manu doing the impossible. Odom playing balls out. Parker slicing through the lane. Role players stepping up. Kobe still hitting shots in clutch time. A very loud, raucous Staples Center that included many moments with a full standing ovation. And lots, and lots, and lots of defense. It is perhaps the most fitting irony that in the end, the Spurs beat the Lakers by getting 3 shots at the buzzer before the final tip in fell through. The Lakers frontline, so vaunted this year as being nearly invincible, were unable to get a rebound in crunch time, and instead it's the Spurs frontcourt (and oldest player) that rose above everyone else to send the Spurs to 41-8.

Player of the Game

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tony_parker1.jpg

This was by far the most difficult PotG I've had to give out since starting to cover Game Grades. And it's true that Tony Parker was a complete non-factor in the first quarter and through much of the 2nd. Parker started 1-5, and it looked like he was about to sit back and let other Spurs do work. But near the end of the 1st half, Parker hit a couple of buckets in the final two minutes. SpursFanFirst asked me at the half how the game was going, and I replied that as long as Parker came out in the 2nd half attacking, we would be OK. But even I didn't expect the last two minutes to be such a good omen. Parker scored 12 points on 6-6 shooting in the 3rd quarter, and while the regular season may not necessarily point to post-season success, it definitely has to make Lakers fans wonder how they are going to possibly stop the Spurs potent backcourt. Parker showcased a variety of skills, from finishing in the paint after creating his own shot, to silky backdoor cuts for easy buckets, to an absolutely silly feint at the free throw line that nearly took a switched Lamar Odom off his feet. While the first half was Tony at his worst, the 2nd half was Parker at his best, and it shows just how devastating the Spurs offense is when he's getting penetration. But really, this award could have gone to several players. Tony gets the nod because he completely controlled the game in the 2nd half, and receives an A for his efforts.

Counterpart: Derek Fisher - He was by far the best player on the court for the Lakers. In just 24 minutes of play, Fish compiled gargantuan fantasy stats such as 2 points. Or how about his incredible one rebound? I know everyone was blitzed by his passing skills, as both assists will show. Best of all, Fisher was -14 in the +/-, leading many Laker fans to email Mitch Kupchak after the game to let him know that their point guard of the future has been found, and he already starts at the 1 for LA.

Starters

Manu Ginobili - B+ Is there any doubt about whether or not Manu loves to play the Lakers? He really did everything on the court for the Spurs Thursday night... except scoring efficiently. Manu shot an abysmal 5-17, but the numbers lie here, because he was instrumental in spreading the Lakers defense and forcing them to focus on him, which is one reason Parker was free to penetrate at will in the 3rd. Manu racked up 8 assists to go with 14 points, and had an awesome swat of Kobe Bryant. In fact, I recall two different blocks by Manu on Mamba, but he's only credited with one. Either way, Manu continues to prove his value to the Spurs in every way possible aside from scoring, even though he does that well too. Spurs fans have to be extremely encouraged about his potential in the playoffs, because he is as healthy as ever, and we all know how much more dangerous he's going to be when he's actively trying to get in the lane.

Counterpart: Kobe Bryant - Really, the only reason Kobe didn't get the player of the game award is due to the fact that he was stupid enough to hit a few shots late in the 4th. But the rest of the game, Kobe was a terror, recklessly peeling paint off the rim, yelling hey a lot, beating his fingers on the backboard, and wisely deciding that he should take 18 shots while shooting just a hair under a blistering 28 percent.

Richard Jefferson - A+ This is exactly what we need from RJ. He started the game extremely hot and gave the Spurs an early lead. He cooled down a bit as the game went on, but what I loved seeing from Jefferson was his defense. His footwork was crisp, he made solid rotations, and he used his entire body to stay n front of whoever had the ball. He picked up steal, an assist, a rebound, and a block, but this is a game that stats just can't tell the story. On this night, the Spurs used Dick on the Lakers, and Dick was everywhere, getting in their faces, their hands, and their minds. If Dick puts his shots in the hole this well in even 50% of the post-season, the Spurs are going to have a lot of reason to be cocky. Penis.

Counterpart: Ron Artest - In a fairly rough game for Ron-Ron, he only shot 54.5% from the field, and only scored 3 fewer points than Kobe, despite shooting only 7 fewer shots. Artest only had a couple of steals, but he did shoot particularly well from the stripe (1-4) and was dynamite from three, almost making a shot in 4 attempts.

Tim Duncan - B I'm officially going to start expecting more from Duncan. In 33 minutes of play, Tim scored just 8 points on 3-12 shooting. It's worth mentioning that on most nights, his jumpe.... set shot from the elbow is usually going to go down, and it just wouldn't on this evening. Duncan did have 8 rebounds to go with 2 blocks, and at times played excellent post defense, but a large part of the reason this game remained close was the fact that the Spurs didn't box out on the defensive end, giving the Lakers 12 offensive rebounds. To the Spurs credit, they beat the Lakers on the offensive glass for 10 of their own, but in a playoff game, this would be a simply unacceptable effort from our All-Star power forward. I hope in the playoffs Duncan plays a little more pissed off, and throws it down in Gasol's face a few times, especially since it would cause Pau to fall down 4 times in a row and make the Lakers slower getting up the floor.

Counterpart: Pau Gasol - Pau was easily the worst player on the floor for the Lakers. His 19 points on 10 shots were simply a waste, and his 80% shooting was just unacceptable. He played so horribly I can't even talk about it anymore than these 3 sentences.

Dejuan Blair - B- Blair only stayed on the court for 24 minutes due to foul trouble, but I loved what I did see from him. He has incredibly fast hands and seems to relish every second he's on the court. If desire equaled skill, I'd love to see a game between Blair and Manu, because both guys would play 48 minutes per game if they could. Blair still needs to work on his decision making, because he still commits one or two fouls a game that are completely unnecessary, and blew an early fast break opportunity with a charge. Still, his ability to finish at the rim is uncanny for a big man, and I think he has the potential to at least partially neutralize the Lakers bigs if both teams meet in the playoffs.

Counterpart: Andrew Bynum - Still has functional knees. Bynum only led the Lakers in rebounds and blocks. What a chump.

Bench

Antonio McDyess - A+ Sometimes, the stats tell the whole story. At other times, they convey part of the message but don't give the whole picture. And then, on occasion, you just have to throw stats out the window and forget all about them. Antonio McDyess won the game for the Spurs with a tip in the final .2 seconds that will be fondly remembered as "the tip" if it is an omen for the Spurs potential success in the post-season. His points, rebounds, and assists simply didn't matter in this game. All that matters is that he wanted to win more than the Lakers on the floor in the final second, and rising above everyone, he showed that the Spurs have found yet another old guy who can be clutch for them. It wasn't an Horry 3, but I have to wonder how Big Shot Rob felt watching a game between his two former teams go down to the wire with a final tip to the Spurs.

George Hill - A- Yet another player who doesn't have incredible stats, Hill was valuable yet again tonight for his relentless defense. Aside from Gasol popping open a couple of times, and Bynum getting a putback, the Lakers had almost nothing open for them all night, save a couple of threes by Blake or Artest that had to be drawn up beforehand by Pop. Undoubtedly he told Hill in the huddle, "Okay, if Blake gets the ball on the wing, make it look like you're trying to close on him but actually leave him as open as possible for the shot." And then Hill gives Pop a confused look, and Pop gives Hill a creepy grin and whispers, "It's Steve Blake!" Yes, it's "Steve Blake" indeed. :lol Seriously Phil, could Ebanks or Caracter possibly play worse than Fisher and Blake?

Gary Neal - B Neal played only 15 minutes, but I liked what I saw from him, and I'm sure most Spurs fans enjoyed the end of the first quarter, when Neal hit the single most difficult shot of the game, falling out of bounds with half a second left on the court, Neal grabbed the pass from Antonio McDyess in mid-air and let go of a shot that didn't even graze the rim as it splashed down, giving the Spurs 2 extra points that they would most certainly need. Neal also played active defense, and didn't take any bad shots. I'm a bit confused as to why he only got 15 minutes, actually, as this seemed like one of his better games lately. Perhaps Pop was worried that the buzzer-beater would go to his head and Neal would take the next 35 shots for the Spurs.

Tiago Splitter - Actually gave the Spurs decent play in 4 minutes of action. But let's face it, in big games, Antonio McDyess is a much better player right now. Splitter will have a very difficult time finding playing time when Matt Bonner returns.

The Lakers Bench: Is hilarious.

Gregg Popovich - A Pop gets an A for the Lakers game. His defensive assignments were perfect, and the Spurs held the Lakers to 88 points, and Kobe to 5-18 shooting. It really looks like GP has the Lakeshow figured out. He isn't intimidated by Bynum and Gasol, and seems comfortable letting one Laker player get what they want and shutting down the lesser players on the court + focusing on Kobe. The Spurs have frustrated Kobe and the Lakers 2 games in a row right now, and Phil Jackson doesn't seem to have any answers.

Counterpart: I'm not sure who to give this grade to, because I'm not sure if Phil Jackson or Kobe Bryant is running the show for the Lakers. Either way, the Lakers showed a lot of inconsistencies on offense,, and shot just 2-14 from 3 point range. The Western Conference might go through LA, but I think it would be shocking if they don't make a move before the trade deadline, because the Lakers are severely lacking right now. Still, they almost won the game, so going forward they are not a team to be taken lightly.

Note: Not sure if many people realize this, but the Lakers should probably stop looking up the road to the Spurs and start checking the mirror. The loss to San Antonio drops them behind the Mavs for the 2nd seed. If the regulare season continues "not to matter", the Lakers could be looking at the prospect of only having homecourt through the first round.

VBM
02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I think you're being kind to Duncan, but I guess he deserves his B after that great pass to McDyess off the rim for the game-winner

Rummpd
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Not sure i understand the part about Gasol part (can you elaborate) but other parts right on! and actually I think Splitter may have earned himself some more minutes or is starting to get out of the doghouse- Pop I think is starting to trust him defensively and putting him on Bynum for 4 minutes - Splitter looked as good as anyone not named Duncan against him last PM.

Of course one never can predict what the hell Pop is going to do?

DrSteffo
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Actually I don't agree with this, contrary to your previous grades. Dice A+ for a tip in? I love the guy and the win and it's Friday night here but...

Old School 44
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice job on the narratives as always, but not sure I understand the grades in relationship to player of the game. Shouldn't the player of the game be at least tied for the highest grade? Personally, I would given it to RJ. That's easily his best game since early in the season. He looked real confident with his shot, and as you noted did a great job on D.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Actually I don't agree with this, contrary to your previous grades. Dice A+ for a tip in? I love the guy and the win and it's Friday night here but...

He probably gets an A- anyway just for his defensive presence. And the heart he showed means more to me than anything else. The dude wants to win. That's worth the grade to me. Perhaps not in a playoff game, but this is the regular season, so he gets the A+.

carina_gino20
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
The counterparts are cracking me up. :lmao

I wasn't overly impressed by Hill but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Glad to see the effort for Manu even with the bad shooting night. Tony P is our ace against the Lakers. Nobody can stop him on that team.

I was also impressed by RJ's readiness to shoot when he got the open looks. He hit a couple of clutch shots in the 4th just when we needed them.

And Old Man Dice, bless his heart, just put the magical final touch for the Spurs win.

I like the win because it gives us separation, but obviously not that good to make the Spurs be big-headed about it. They dodged a bullet.The game could easily have gone the other way.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice job on the narratives as always, but not sure I understand the grades in relationship to player of the game. Shouldn't the player of the game be at least tied for the highest grade? Personally, I would given it to RJ. That's easily his best game since early in the season. He looked real confident with his shot, and as you noted did a great job on D.

Tiago Splitter would get an A+ if he had 12 points and 6 rebounds, but there's no way he would be player of the game with those numbers unless something went seriously wrong.

Grades are based on expectations. I have higher expectations of Parker than I do of RJ on any given night. RJ played extremely well, but it's Parker that carried us in the second half. And as I said, I could have given the award to Tony, Manu, or RJ tonight. All three played extremely well, despite Manu's poor shooting.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I like the win because it gives us separation, but obviously not that good to make the Spurs be big-headed about it. They dodged a bullet.The game could easily have gone the other way.

This game might give us an extra couple days to rest before the playoffs. The game could have gone either way, but what will not change is the Lakers complete inability to stop our guards. Kobe is too old to expend the energy on defense, and they have no one else who has even a prayer of shutting down Tony AND Manu AND Hill AND Neal.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I see a lot of lurkers that never post! You guys should speak up! I value your feedback as well. Even if you don't want to post in the thread, feel free to PM me if you want to say something.

Em-City
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
we played like shit and still won... mad props to the team for pulling off the W

lefty
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
On this night, the Spurs used Dick on the Lakers, and Dick was everywhere, getting in their faces, their hands, and their minds. If Dick puts his shots in the hole this well in even 50% of the post-season, the Spurs are going to have a lot of reason to be cocky. Penis.

:lol

NRHector
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Props to Pop for recongnizing that small line up wasn't working and went big with Dice in the game :toast

carina_gino20
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Kobe is too old to expend the energy on defense, and they have no one else who has even a prayer of shutting down Tony AND Manu AND Hill AND Neal.

Music to my ears after the trainwreck that was Mason and Bogans.:toast

lefty
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
B- for Blair is generous

Banzai
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Laker grades from me- All F's

E-RockWill
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
"...On this night, the Spurs used Dick on the Lakers, and Dick was everywhere, getting in their faces, their hands, and their minds. If Dick puts his shots in the hole this well in even 50% of the post-season, the Spurs are going to have a lot of reason to be cocky. Penis...."

Awesome...

Is a Dick in the hand worth 2 in the bush?

Sotongball21
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I see a lot of lurkers that never post! You guys should speak up! I value your feedback as well. Even if you don't want to post in the thread, feel free to PM me if you want to say something.

HAHA! I love your game grades. Mmm, maybe you can have a section or a little part of the piece where you talk about your expectations of each spur.

Oh, the counterparts cracked me up! Continue doing it.

Keep up the effort.:toast

DrSteffo
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
He probably gets an A- anyway just for his defensive presence. And the heart he showed means more to me than anything else. The dude wants to win. That's worth the grade to me. Perhaps not in a playoff game, but this is the regular season, so he gets the A+.

Fine but Dice wasn't that great on D in this particular game and certainly not on O. For me A+ means a great game from start to finish. Anyways cheers and I enjoy reading your posts :toast

duhoh
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
GH played well, now that you mentioned it.

he didn't mess up rotations, which was what i was looking for.

wildbill2u
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM

I think you're satiric counterpart bits are forced and are strange when contrasted with the straight reports on our guys. I'd lose 'em or read a bunch of Bill Simmons and try again.

All the grades on our guys were pretty spot on, but Tony played to expectations while RJ had a much better game than the current expectations for him.

Actually, the player of the game is a misconception for this game. It was so much a team effort with contributions from everyone that the whole team was the POG.

dunkman
02-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Would have preferred not to read the RJ comments. . .

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
I think you're satiric counterpart bits are forced and are strange when contrasted with the straight reports on our guys. I'd lose 'em or read a bunch of Bill Simmons and try again.

Yeah, I thought about not doing them, but I figured it would be a nice change of pace. I probably won't do them again unless we have big games down the stretch or in the playoffs. It was a function of time vs. effort necessary. I figured at worst it couldn't hurt. :lol

All the grades on our guys were pretty spot on, but Tony played to expectations while RJ had a much better game than the current expectations for him.

I didn't expect Tony to completely dominate the Lakers for an entire quarter/half. Perhaps I was a bit generous, but given how intense the game was and how big of a win it was, and the fact that we held the Lakers to 88 points, I thought everyone deserved a boost in grade.

Actually, the player of the game is a misconception for this game. It was so much a team effort with contributions from everyone that the whole team was the POG.

Totally agree here. I almost didn't give the PotG award here, but it seems that people look forward to reading it, so, I had to make a tough call.

Mark in Austin
02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Nothing I saw last night changed my opinion that it will be extremely difficult to beat LA in a series. When Artest is dialed in, Manu becomes a less efficient scorer. And when the defensive intensity goes up in the playoffs, I think Jackson will pack the lane even more to prevent the kind of explosion Parker had in the second half. When that happens:

Jefferson, Hill, Neal, Bonner, and Anderson HAVE to make shots to open things up. That's asking a lot from from 2 rookies, a proven playoff choker, a re-tooled Jefferson and Hill.

Can it happen? Yes. But I'm not sold on it.

FvckMavs
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
On this night, the Spurs used Dick on the Lakers, and Dick was everywhere, getting in their faces, their hands, and their minds.

:lol

lefty
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Ron had his hands full with Dick

neboat
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I am worried about TD's lack of offensive production against the Lakers this year. I feel TD's got to give us something close to 20/10 for us to beat LA in the playoffs....in addition to playing great D and rebounding.

ohmwrecker
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
For me, every championship season the Spurs have had are marked by seemingly impossible, spectacular moments resulting in sheer joy. McDyess' tip in was one of those moments. The out of character response of Pop was the cherry on top. I smiled like the Cheshire cat.

That fade away, falling out of bounds, one-handed jumper by Neal wasn't too shabby either.

silverblackfan
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I think this was an excellent write up. The counter-points threw me at first, but definitely funny.
Penis. -- classic.

Cane
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Parker was great especially after that fiasco against Andre Miller. Kinda awesome that the only member of the big 3 that didn't get selected for the ASG was the MVP of the night. :toast

The Lakers are screwed as long as Parker's healthy and aggressive. Tony's going to be one of our biggest matchup advantages against the old and slow guards found on the Lakers and Mavericks.

Bonner's floor spacing should only help the Spurs score and attack the rim as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Pop coached a good game. When he decided to briefly go small in the 4th after McDyess picked up a couple of quick fouls I almost choked on my burrito. But it appeared he just wanted to give Dice a little talk and brought him right back in. Props to Pop for a well coached game. Had the Spurs been hitting shots they'd of blown LA out. I've never seen the Spurs shoot that badly against LA, give up that many second chances points, and still win.

Nice work CH!

cutewizard
02-04-2011, 01:00 PM

So Sir, what do you think of us Spurs vs Boston....

can we beat them? do we need another player?

thanks!

excellent job as always!

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Pop coached a good game. When he decided to briefly go small in the 4th after McDyess picked up a couple of quick fouls I almost choked on my burrito. But it appeared he just wanted to give Dice a little talk and brought him right back in. Props to Pop for a well coached game. Had the Spurs been hitting shots they'd of blown LA out. I've never seen the Spurs shoot that badly against LA, give up that many second chances points, and still win.

Nice work CH!

Man, I wish I could remember all the stuff that happens in a game. This would have been excellent to include in Pop's evaluation. It's tough to keep track of everything though even while watching the action live. :lol

So Sir, what do you think of us Spurs vs Boston....

can we beat them? do we need another player?

thanks!

excellent job as always!

To be honest, I think Boston poses a much taller hurdle for us than the Lakers do, because their backcourt is so much better overall.

But as long as our role players are hitting outside shots and playing solid defense, we can beat anyone in a 7 game series. We have the best backcourt in the league, and an underrated front court. I think Blair would play pretty well against Boston to be honest. He's faster than any big the Cs have and plays with a lot of passion. That said, it won't be easy.

Mugen
02-04-2011, 01:07 PM
i don't think you like the Lakers very much, Havoc.

2centsworth
02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
A+ for Mcdyess is a joke. He was superman the last 24 seconds, but consistently missed shots, fouled, and failed to pass to the open man the rest of the game.

Pop A- is a :lol. Pop is not on his game right now. I love how he made a quick defensive substitution down the stretch to put Gary Neal on Kobe. He was more like a B for Pop Standards.

td4mvp21
02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Nothing I saw last night changed my opinion that it will be extremely difficult to beat LA in a series. When Artest is dialed in, Manu becomes a less efficient scorer. And when the defensive intensity goes up in the playoffs, I think Jackson will pack the lane even more to prevent the kind of explosion Parker had in the second half. When that happens:

Jefferson, Hill, Neal, Bonner, and Anderson HAVE to make shots to open things up. That's asking a lot from from 2 rookies, a proven playoff choker, a re-tooled Jefferson and Hill.

My thoughts exactly.

rmt
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
The pessimist in me says this:

while the optimist in me says this:

For me, every championship season the Spurs have had are marked by seemingly impossible, spectacular moments resulting in sheer joy. McDyess' tip in was one of those moments. The out of character response of Pop was the cherry on top. I smiled like the Cheshire cat.

That fade away, falling out of bounds, one-handed jumper by Neal wasn't too shabby either.

Everything this season seems to be going right. That's so eerie - maybe it's a signal like DRob said in one of those DVDs. Guess I'll be an optimist for 24 hours until the next game which might be a loss as the main guys (especially Manu at 37 mins) played heavy minutes in LA.

Spursmania
02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Cry Havoc, I dig your grades and the counterparts are hilarious.
Well written stuff and I enjoyed the read. The humor helps too.

While I may not agree 100%, who cares? :lol

It's a great perspective and I get to reflect on my thoughts of how the game went. Sometimes forgetting some of the nuances you and other members bring out in the thread. I still haven't decided if we're just lucky as hell or a team that's going to be damn hard to beat 4/7 games each series.

Trying to be extremely objective is difficult when one love this damn team so much.:toast

Libri
02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
The tip in by Dice will forever be remembered. What will be forgotten is the play he did before. He denied the Lakers the rebound and ended up on the floor. Great effort by Dice.

silverblk mystix
02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I re-watched the game and it seems that Dice did a LOT more than I remembered...

He was really active, rebounded, changed shots, played great D,etc...

The tip-in will be remembered ...but he did have a really solid game but made a couple of small mistakes.

He played with passion and was big even before the tip.

Manu was allowed to be abused by Artest and Manu showed what a competitor he is by not allowing Artest to get in his head.

Just my opinion, CH, but I was more impressed reading your first and second game thoughts...the last two or so seemed to be more style than substance, but having said that, it was still pretty good.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I re-watched the game and it seems that Dice did a LOT more than I remembered...

He was really active, rebounded, changed shots, played great D,etc...

The tip-in will be remembered ...but he did have a really solid game but made a couple of small mistakes.

He played with passion and was big even before the tip.

Yep. A lot of people look at the game stats afterward and think, "Man, Dice was awful!" But that wasn't the case. He showed more desire tonight than anyone on the floor not named Manu.

Just my opinion, CH, but I was more impressed reading your first and second game thoughts...the last two or so seemed to be more style than substance, but having said that, it was still pretty good.

I agree with this to a point. Part of the problem I'm running into is simply realizing that you can only say certain things about a player in so many ways before it becomes redundant. Relatively similar performances by a player become hard to comment on without being repetitive. So, I'm trying to keep them relatively light-hearted and fun to read, because that's also easier to write, and these are a pretty significant time-sink for me as it is. In the playoffs and the week approaching, you'll definitely see more analysis and basic facts, and I'll probably drop the humor down a couple notches. I know reading these game after game probably gets tiring with no stylistic relief, so I'm trying to slant my writings more toward just commentary for now.

2centsworth
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Yep. A lot of people look at the game stats afterward and think, "Man, Dice was awful!" But that wasn't the case. He showed more desire tonight than anyone on the floor not named Manu.

I agree with this to a point. Part of the problem I'm running into is simply realizing that you can only say certain things about a player in so many ways before it becomes redundant. Relatively similar performances by a player become hard to comment on without being repetitive. So, I'm trying to keep them relatively light-hearted and fun to read, because that's also easier to write, and these are a pretty significant time-sink for me as it is. In the playoffs and the week approaching, you'll definitely see more analysis and basic facts, and I'll probably drop the humor down a couple notches. I know reading these game after game probably gets tiring with no stylistic relief, so I'm trying to slant my writings more toward just commentary for now.

Not being critical of your work, but are you giving grades just based on effort? Effort is just the part that should never be lacking, but Mcdyess consistently missed "HIS Shot" and fouled way too much. A+, in my book, is you did everything right. No one deserved an A+. Highest grade was Tony and RJ at an A-.

Spurs are better than they showed last night IMO.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Not being critical of your work, but are you giving grades just based on effort? Effort is just the part that should never be lacking, but Mcdyess consistently missed "HIS Shot" and fouled way too much. A+, in my book, is you did everything right. No one deserved an A+. Highest grade was Tony and RJ at an A-.

Spurs are better than they showed last night IMO.

I was probably a bit too lenient on grades.

However, we beat the Lakers, which gives everyone a huge boost. I can't help it, I just love to watch them burn. :lol

2centsworth
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I was probably a bit too lenient on grades.

However, we beat the Lakers, which gives everyone a huge boost. I can't help it, I just love to watch them burn. :lol

:toast:flag:

pjjrfan
02-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Some of manu's passes were questionable. I don't think neither he or Tony really looked for Neal at all, and after that quick start Jefferson became an afterthought. Tony's play in the 3rd and the bench play overall was the difference. I thought Dice's work on the boards was huge the whole game, as was Hill's steadiness throughout the game. And though I don't see Tiago in the Spur's plan for this year, the moments he gets he has to make them count, last night he did just that. Overall great observations, Havoc.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd go:

Duncan - C-
Ginobili- C+
Parker - B+
Blair - C-
McDyess - C+
Hill - B
Neal - B-
Splitter - B
Pop - B

Every player is graded on a different scale, obviousy..

KaiRMD1
02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Steve Blake gets an A+ for cleaning the floor yet again. How many times has that dude fallen on the floor this season? Jordan Farmar must be spinning in his grave everytime he sees Steve Blake hit the floor.

silverblackfan
02-04-2011, 03:02 PM
The tip in by Dice will forever be remembered. What will be forgotten is the play he did before. He denied the Lakers the rebound and ended up on the floor. Great effort by Dice.

That deny was a double damage. Kobe and Pau were under Dice when he fell. And we got the ball possession.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
man if only blair was 6'10+ i think he could be the best big in the league....

Spurs7794
02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Dejuan Blair - B- Blair only stayed on the court for 24 minutes due to foul trouble, but I loved what I did see from him. He has incredibly fast hands and seems to relish every second he's on the court. If desire equaled skill, I'd love to see a game between Blair and Manu, because both guys would play 48 minutes per game if they could. Blair still needs to work on his decision making, because he still commits one or two fouls a game that are completely unnecessary, and blew an early fast break opportunity with a charge. Still, his ability to finish at the rim is uncanny for a big man, and I think he has the potential to at least partially neutralize the Lakers bigs if both teams meet in the playoffs.

I agreed with most of your assessments (maybe not the grades) except for this one.

Is anyone else disgusted by Blair's on court IQ? I appreciate what he does well (quick hands, great rebounding, some great passes)...but WHY DOES he think he's got all these awesome moves in his arsenal? All season long, once he thinks he's got a shot, he's gonna make a move. He becomes a black hole He always tries that damn spin move or in and out dribble...and both have a success rate of about 50%. The reason I bring this up is because I think he almost cost us the game last night...
We were up 8 in the 4th after RJ hit a three...we had the ball. Blair got the ball on the elbow in no position to attack. RJ was WIDE OPEN and Manu was yelling and motioning to him to pass it to RJ. Blair had his back to them so he didn't see anything. But he still was in no position to attack...and yet he tried to make some terrible fancy move with a spin move and got himself in trouble...Manu tried to save the play by making a cut but Blair's pass to him got Manu in a spot where he couldn't make anything happen and he threw it away. Then on the other end, Blair fouled Odom for a 3 point play and suddenly the lead was down to 5 and we all know how close the game ended up being.

My apologies for venting...but Blair is the most frustrating player on this team.

Kindergarten Cop
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the write ups Cry Havoc. I don't always agree with all of the grades, but they are generally really close to what I would have assigned. We appreciate you taking the time to do this. :toast

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
man had this game played in SA, would be celebrating like that dec 15 bucks game ginoboli clutch play and fans going crazy, desi guy in red shirt dancing....

02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
whoa, way too lenient on ginobili. his late game meltdowns almost cost the spurs the game. the game was much closer than it should have been thanks to his turnovers and bad gambling on defense. if mcydess didn't have that tip in, ginobili would have been crucified on spurstalk.

ManuTastic
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Really nice effort here, thanks for stepping up in TimVP's mysterious (?) absence. Love the counterpart comments!! I couldn't watch the game, but your coverage helps me fill in some blanks.
Word UP!

silverblk mystix
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM

In light of this...then by all means ... the humor is a welcome addition.

I hadn't thought of how redundant it can become, especially if some players are pretty consistent from game to game...so it could get pretty tedious having to write the same thing game in and game out....almost like a copy & paste depending on the player.

Good work keeping it interesting.

m33p0
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
agree with tony being player of the game but i'd only give him a C coz that's exactly what i expected him to do.