PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Pop Deserve COY Consideration?

smrattler
02-04-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm amazed Pop is getting no love this year. Not getting enough credit for the great job he's done this year. I think his most impressive year IMO, because of the changes.

Seriously, IMO he is the reason the Spurs went from backing into the playoffs as a low seed, to running away with the West so far this year.

1) No Spurs big-three player is having a career year. The big three have stayed healthy and are playing really well. They each show flashes of their brilliance but nothing we haven't seen from each of them before.

2) No big splash additions. In fact, the best additions we made were a re-tool'd RJ, whom worked all summer with? That's right, Pop. Neal was a nice find (understatement, he's a steal) and Tiago was brought over but has had no impact yet. He's maximizing Blair's use and keeping McDyess fresh. Just doing a great job manageing the whole roster.

3) Re-tooling the offense and defense. He's won titles with stout defense and keeping the pace slow. He reinvented his offensive approach, something very hard to do but also rare among coaches that have had such great success doing things their way for so long. PLUS... he's driven the offensive system into the team so well that parts are as interchangeable as we've ever seen. Really, the best thing about the offense this year is not any one player having that career year, it's the system producing the points. Shooter are shooting, penetrators penetrating... passing, ball-movement... As forthe defense, he's adjusted to his personnel. He doesn't have the twin towers anymore, his guards and wings are gambling more on the ball, getting in the passing lanes to create more turnovers. A huge change to the old approach.

He's put this whole thing together, managed the roster, games, minutes...

The Spurs are running away with the West and playing their starters fewer minutes than anyone (I read that somewhere). That alone screams of good coaching and system.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2011, 11:56 PM
He probably gets more love this year than any 1 Spurs player, at least IMO..unless the Spurs have a serious meltdown, he'll easily win COTY..

superfedja
02-05-2011, 12:03 AM
i have no idea what you're talking about ... pop has been getting a lot of praise this year ... and he deserves it ... he's been the favorite to win COY since the season started ... i really don't see what you're talking about

EricB
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Monty Williams will win COY or Nate McMillan if the Blazers make the playoffs.

smrattler
02-05-2011, 12:05 AM
I honestly have not heard once, anyone in the media say that.

And I don't mean local guys, I mean national guys, the ones that influence these things.

smrattler
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Monty Williams will win COY or Nate McMillan if the Blazers make the playoffs.

Yup,those are two I've heard all year long. Plus D'Antoni from the "east" media guys. And Tom T. from the Bulls.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
i wonder would pop bolt if some team with multiple picks in the first round and offered him 1.5x-2x whats his earnin at the spurs, would he jump ship?

DJ Mbenga
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
i dont know id give it to guys who have dealt with adversity and injuries before id consider pop. its almost like he has no control over it. they have been lucky and have health and that hurts him in a way cause look at the bulls they are 2 in the east without their frontline most of the time, the celtics have guys out every game and are number 1,etc etc.

smrattler
02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
i dont know id give it to guys who have dealt with adversity and injuries before id consider pop. its almost like he has no control over it. they have been lucky and have health and that hurts him in a way cause look at the bulls they are 2 in the east without their frontline most of the time, the celtics have guys out every game and are number 1,etc etc.

Yes, and look at the list I named and claimed I've been hearing so far regarding COTY candidates. They are all in that type of situation, faced adversity. Damn Monty Williams' team as sold and he's coaching his ass off still.

I get that. That's cool. And it falls under maximizing what you have and producing the most wins with it. If there was a scoring system for it, I bet Pop would win.

Muser
02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Pop will get COTY, unless the Spurs suddenly turn to shit.

anakha
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I'd like to see him win it, if only for the http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-psyboom.gif that would get from some on this board.

Bito Corleone
02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I honestly have not heard once, anyone in the media say that.

And I don't mean local guys, I mean national guys, the ones that influence these things.

Then I don't think you've really been paying attention. Pop has been WC coach of the month twice (I think, or at least once) already this season, and even most of the "experts" over at ESPN are saying Pop for COY...He is getting his love, so you shouldn't be amazed that he isn't.

http://espn.go.com/nba/awards
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110127/daily-dime

There was another link I can't find right now to one of the Daily Dimes where something like 7 of 8 writers asked said Pop...

dbreiden83080
02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
yes

CubanMustGo
02-05-2011, 12:41 AM
There was another link I can't find right now to one of the Daily Dimes where something like 7 of 8 writers asked said Pop...

Actually a CNNSI "first half award winners" thread:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/01/18/midseason.awards.2011/index.html

Bito Corleone
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Actually a CNNSI "first half award winners" thread:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/01/18/midseason.awards.2011/index.html

buttsR4rebounding
02-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Pop won coach of the month for Oct, Nov, and Dec. I'd say he has the inside track.

Warlord23
02-05-2011, 05:48 AM
If we win 65+ (looking very likely), Pop should win COY easily

bigfish22
02-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Pop has been at the top of ESPN's Awards Watch COY list since they started doing it this season:

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-110201/nba-awards-watch

Coach Of The Year Watch
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0201/nba_g_popogin_286.jpg

NBAE/Getty Images
By Timothy Varner | TrueHoop Network

1. Gregg Popovich, Spurs: If a team is 40-7 while threatening to produce only one All-Star, who deserves the most recognition for its success?

2. Tom Thibodeau, Bulls: It took Thibodeau one training camp to recreate Boston's mighty defense in Chicago, unexpectedly propelling the Bulls from playoff hopefuls to conference contenders.

3. Doc Rivers, Celtics: Despite the loss of Thibodeau, Rivers' Celtics remain the odds-on favorites to represent the East in the Finals.

4. Monty Williams, Hornets: Williams has quietly transformed the New Orleans Hornets into a defensive juggernaut and Western Conference sleeper.

5. George Karl, Nuggets: He gets props for juggling a .596 record, the Carmelo Circus and cancer recovery without letting a single pin fall to the ground.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-05-2011, 08:25 AM
The praise goes beyond print as well. A few months ago when even Spurs fans didn't think this team would be able to sustain its success then was some truth to the OP. But in the last month during just about every national broadcast during their pregame studio coverage and during the game they've specifically pointed out time and time again how impressive a feat it is for a team to radically alter its philosophy and playing style and still have such success. There are certainly times where it seems to pain them to say it, but the Spurs and Pop are getting the love. They'd be getting a lot more of it if they played in a bigger market, but they are getting it.

BlairForceDejuan
02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Everybody in the nat'l media has been praising Pop as the COY for the entire year.

Bito Corleone
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Ha. Wanna do a little research next time smrattler?

Seventyniner
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
CotY tends to go to the coach of the team that overperforms expectations the most. Sloan never gets it because his teams are consistently good but not great.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
He's won two of the first three Conference Coach of the Month Awards. He's being considered.

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Of course he deserves it, but it's not up to us fans to make that decision.

ChuckD
02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
They should just give it to Pop and avoid "the curse". Over the past decade it has become the flavor of the month award for a team that makes a huge burst in one year. When they don't sustain it, they get fired. Of the past ten, only Pop from 2002-2003 and Scott Brooks from last year are still coaching their same teams.

2009-10 Scott Brooks Oklahoma City
2008-09 Mike Brown Cleveland
2007-08 Byron Scott New Orleans
2006-07 Sam Mitchell Toronto
2005-06 Avery Johnson Dallas
2004-05 Mike D'Antoni Phoenix
2003-04 Hubie Brown Memphis
2002-03 Gregg Popovich San Antonio
2001-02 Rick Carlisle Detroit
2000-01 Larry Brown Philadelphia

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
They should just give it to Pop and avoid "the curse". Over the past decade it has become the flavor of the month award for a team that makes a huge burst in one year. When they don't sustain it, they get fired. Of the past ten, only Pop from 2002-2003 and Scott Brooks from last year are still coaching their same teams.

2009-10 Scott Brooks Oklahoma City
2008-09 Mike Brown Cleveland
2007-08 Byron Scott New Orleans
2006-07 Sam Mitchell Toronto
2005-06 Avery Johnson Dallas
2004-05 Mike D'Antoni Phoenix
2003-04 Hubie Brown Memphis
2002-03 Gregg Popovich San Antonio
2001-02 Rick Carlisle Detroit
2000-01 Larry Brown Philadelphia

Damn! I remembered AJ, D'Antoni, and Mike Brown off the top of my head. Didn't realize the trend stretched that far back.

alchemist
02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Pop is a shoe in for the COY unless something devastating happens.

D-rob fan
02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I've been reading COY for Pop in about 90% of the media I've seen. Sometimes we are such big fans that we aren't satisfied unless we hear praise non-stop.

Old School 44
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Pop COY in a landslide. It's not even close.
But if you ask Pop, he will tell you it should go to Phil Jackson...wink wink.

smrattler
02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Well I'm glad to see he is seriously being considered for it.

They just tend to give this award to up and coming coaches. Jackson, Pop, Sloan, the old guys never get it. If the Lakers went on a 70 win pace, Jackson would not win it IMO. Where as a coach with a young team "making noise", like the Bulls last year, OKC Thunder, or the Blazers every year.

But this year is different. Pop I think has demonstrated some pretty incredible changes in his coaching. Like I said, few great coaches EVER change these days. Pop's team and system looks like nothing he's done before and they are taking the league by surprise.

To be honest, I'm not whining about giving it to him, fact is he'd care less about that award than ANYONE.

But what I am saying is people in the media are in general are dismissing the Spurs record, for whatever reasons. They can't point to manu and say he's leading the way, or Tony who couldn't even get in the ASG, or Timmy because they can't get passed the PPG even though his MPG is way down.

I just think before they dismiss the Spurs success, they should point out Pop is doing a great job. Before someone like Barkley says we aren't the best in Texas, or others say LAkers are still better, or Boston is the best but the Spurs have the best record... they should also mention in the same breath that nobody is doing a better job coaching right now than Pop.

ChuckD
02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Well I'm glad to see he is seriously being considered for it.

They just tend to give this award to up and coming coaches. Jackson, Pop, Sloan, the old guys never get it. If the Lakers went on a 70 win pace, Jackson would not win it IMO. Where as a coach with a young team "making noise", like the Bulls last year, OKC Thunder, or the Blazers every year.

IIRC, Jackson and Pop each have one, but Sloan does not. It's ironic, because Sloan's top assistant, Phil Johnson, won the award in 1974-75 with the old KC Kings franchise.

I disagree with your Jackson assessment. If he could lead his band of 100 year old zombie undead on a 70 win pace, he'd get it. Your reasoning is why he is usually not considered most years, though.