PDA

View Full Version : Changes for next game?

Rummpd
05-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Spurs could and should have won without a little help from the Zs, that being said there are some things that can be changed.

Suggestions:

My main one is to pull dog out of a hat early. Also, consider a switch if Johnson goes off to put Bowen on him for a few minutes.

It is a shame that Brown cannot seemingly go, he would have helped bring energy on a night like tonight.

Tom_Foolery
05-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, how about dumping that stupid switch on the pick & roll that kept leaving Parker guarding Amare inside the paint.

That was dumb. I wonder what Pop was thinking about on that strategy.

HB22inSA
05-31-2005, 12:51 AM
No.

myhc
05-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I agree the switch on the pick n roll was retarded. I can understand if its every now and then but that nonsense went on all night. Also do a better job on transition defense. We gave up almost 30 points according to Pop after limiting them to single digits in games 1-2. Tim just needs to hit his regular season average at the FT line and this game is ours.

E20
05-31-2005, 01:40 AM
I have a bad feeling. Phoenix Suns are the Phoenix Suns that I've been seeing before this game. I mean this one win raises there confidence so much. You got Marion contritubing now, JJ & Q hitting shots, Amare is still a monster as is Nash. Spurs are gonna really have to bring it next game. They really have to step up the D and play it the way it was played in Games 1-3.

Tom_Foolery
05-31-2005, 01:45 AM
How about this for a change:

Pop shouldn't wait until a team goes on a 15-2 run before you call timeout.

Pop has to understand that his team is not always going to recover and pull through. It's his job to know when and tonight he did a poor job understanding his team's level of play and adjusting/changing it to help their chances.

Everyone played poorly, but for Pop to sit there and complain about the 20-something fastbreak pts is a reflection of his coaching, or lack of changing strategy with defensive schemes, substitutions, timeouts, etc.

team-work
05-31-2005, 04:10 AM
It is a shame that Brown cannot seemingly go, he would have helped bring energy on a night like tonight.

I always wait for Devin Brown's return, but probably my wish won't come true in this playoff. I just wonder why it takes so long for his right leg to regain the strength, perhaps to allow him to explode for thunderous alley-oop dunks. Or what is in the mind of Gregg Popovich? Keeping him until the most dangerous moment comes so that he can be the ultimate savior of Spurs outside Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Horry?

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wp0405_brown_1024.jpg

SLOVENIAN 8
05-31-2005, 04:16 AM
Rasho in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerryatrics
05-31-2005, 04:32 AM
Give Barry some run in the 4th quarter. He's been big in just about every 4th quarter against the Suns this season, but barely saw the floor in the 4th the last game.

HB22inSA
05-31-2005, 04:58 AM
What's wrong with switching the pick-and-rolls?

sa_butta
05-31-2005, 08:27 AM
make some freethrows at least 75% (not asking much) and
way better switching off on D. and agree with using Bowen on
Johnson, he should not be scoring 26.

spur219
05-31-2005, 08:29 AM
The Spurs just need to hurry back on transition defense. That is what hurt them. They were too slow on getting back which allowed several easy baskets and wide open 3 point shots for the Suns. The Spurs will adjust and win game 5.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Take it to the damn hoop!!! And then hit your free throws. And what the hell was Bowen doing on Nash? I think the Spurs tried to fix some things with their D last night that just weren't broke.

GrandeDavid
05-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Limit transition, make free throws, hit an open mid range jumper if your name is Tony Parker. Just hit 30% of them if its not asking too much.

WalterBenitez
05-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Back to the sources (it means Spurs way of life, play D, BB and RH 3 open, TP and Manu going to the rim, and please put some physical pressure on Amare)

spurster
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Switching on pick-and-rolls at least avoids an immediate Amare dunk. If TP ends up guarding Amare, there needs to be a quick double team when he gets the ball.

I agree on transition. The Spurs were not picking up the 3-point shooters.

Now that the Suns have adjusted with a hard and fast double team on Duncan, the Spurs need to figure out the spacing to make the Suns pay for it.

TP, please hit an outside shot or two.

orhe
05-31-2005, 10:17 AM
well they are switching everything so i guess if amare is involved in the play no switching?

tsb2000
05-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Really, the changes that need to be made are subtle. Last night came down to 4th quarter execution. The Spurs dominated in the first 3 games, and didn't last night. The Suns will be the Suns, and if the Spurs will just be the Spurs, they will win. They're just a better team. Phoenix is too inconsistent to play our game for 48 minutes.

Oh yeah, and make freethrows! :)

easjer
05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
It's already been said but bears repeating.

Get back to basics. Parker on Nash, taking it inside to the paint, making free throws, starting and staying aggressive. Get back on transition D, monitor the perimeter and stop the 3 point shooting. Let Amare get his points, but limit everyone else. Stop forcing shots that aren't there. Don't worry about the oustide game until it is necessary to do so.

If Manu and Tony take the lob from Timmy and go inside, they'll hit their stride and will be able to make the outside shots. Instead, last night, they looked tentative and forced shots when they should have opted for fouls. For the love of pete, you have Amare on the bench in foul trouble and you try to clang jumpers? WTF?

They'll get it done. Timmy and Tony always bounce back. So go and play your game and you'll be fine!

1Parker1
05-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I expect Duncan to go for 30+ and 12 rebounds tommorow night.

nkdlunch
05-31-2005, 12:16 PM
#1 change: don't forget your balls at home

boutons
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Play Spurs basketball for all 48 minutes. Nothing spectacular, just solid, average Spurs basketball.

WalterBenitez
05-31-2005, 01:45 PM
#1 change: don't forget your balls at home

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

TMSKILZ
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm not worried b/c JJohnson has a caerre day as far as hitting what seemd like lucky shot after lucky shot, hardly missed. Marion got involved a bit, Amare got the friendly bounce on several wild shots, & QRich made shots, but does anyone here honestly believe they'll continue this for 3 straight more game? Nahhhhhh.....plus also helps Spurs TO the ball & missed double digit FTs, plus TP sucked tonight with his outside shooting & TD struggled. I don't count on that happening for 3 straight more games.

We need to do a better job rotating on the pick-n-roll & the 3 pt line.

Only thing worries me is that the Refs are going to favor the Suns with calls since the game tomorrow is in Phx. We're going to have to over come that & shoot our Fts better than last night, plus def the fastbreak like we have the 1st 3 games.