PDA

View Full Version : Splitter Destroys DeMarcus Cousins

ezau
02-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Tiago Splitter:

16 points, 9 rebounds in 27 minutes of action. The good part is that he destroyed DeMarcus Cousins, who recently made mincemeat of Gasol and Bynum.

NBA=F:lolcked

lefty
02-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Splitter :wow

jjktkk
02-05-2011, 01:44 AM
CIA Splitter. :lol

ezau
02-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Once Splitter gets his bearings, he's gonna have Bynum and Gasol for dinner:lol:lol

Cane
02-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Looked like he was getting thrown around like a rag doll in the process too. Tiago's more than willing to sacrifice his body FWIW and ftw.

Roger Freemason Jr.
02-05-2011, 02:12 AM
The only two games where Splitter actually showed promise, were the Cav's game, and this game against the Kings. Yes, they are scrub teams, but Splitter showed both times that he knows what he's doing, and he can do it exceptionally well. It seems that a lot of the other times, his confidence becomes crippled, he becomes impatient in the post. But that's just rookie jitters for a guy like Splitter, his sophomore year is going to yield BIG numbers.

crc21209
02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
About time Pop gave him a chance....

jestersmash
02-05-2011, 02:26 AM
He's showed promise in more games than just tonight and against the Cavs. He's certainly scored more tonight (and had similar numbers against the Cavs), but he was never touted as some offensive weapon. Splitter has shown pretty fundamentally sound post defense during all of his minutes so far.

He was certainly manhandled by Bynum on Thursday, but I was impressed that he held his ground. Right now, his only glaring defect as far as interior defense goes is the fact that he's a bit of a lightweight, but he's got terrific footwork and lateral movement, and he has a tendency to draw more charges on a per minute basis than anybody I have seen (certainly on the Spurs team).

jestersmash
02-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Offensively, his hook shot is among the ugliest I've seen. He's absolutely abysmal at shooting free throws, and he doesn't have a jump shot, though I appreciate the fact that he realizes his limitations in this regard.

Blair doesn't have a jump shot either, but he takes them anyway (on occasion). It's really frustrating.

jjktkk
02-05-2011, 02:32 AM
By the end of the regular season, I can see Splitter getting playing time against bigger front lines, not consistant minutes, but hes starting to show he can play solid defense when hes out there. I really can't wait till next season, when Splitter has a year under his belt with the Spurs system. That and working on his strength this Summer.

ElNono
02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
By the end of the regular season, I can see Splitter handing out gatorades and towels with his ass firmly locked to the bench...

Roger Freemason Jr.
02-05-2011, 02:51 AM
He's showed promise in more games than just tonight and against the Cavs. He's certainly scored more tonight (and had similar numbers against the Cavs), but he was never touted as some offensive weapon. Splitter has shown pretty fundamentally sound post defense during all of his minutes so far.

He was certainly manhandled by Bynum on Thursday, but I was impressed that he held his ground. Right now, his only glaring defect as far as interior defense goes is the fact that he's a bit of a lightweight, but he's got terrific footwork and lateral movement, and he has a tendency to draw more charges on a per minute basis than anybody I have seen (certainly on the Spurs team).

I agree. I suppose I was just trying to convey to the doubters here, that Splitter isn't some kind of liability, and that he is going to do big things being a Spur. It's also refreshing to see Splitter sacrifice his body. I'm not against what Pop does like most here, but I do believe if Splitter saw some consistency, he'd be a lot more comfortable out there on the court. but Pop knows what he's doing, and I don't doubt him.

buttsR4rebounding
02-05-2011, 02:52 AM
I see where ESPN is showing Lefty's new sig as an instant Hard Wood Classic. I love it!:tongue

greyforest
02-05-2011, 04:49 AM
About time Pop gave him a chance....

seriously. good thing he's got a 3 yr contract. cant wait to see him next year.

greyforest
02-05-2011, 04:51 AM
by the way, its less about pop giving him a chance, and more about tim duncan's minutes on a back to back. splitter plays the role of backup timmy in the spurs system.

cutewizard
02-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Once Splitter gets his bearings, he's gonna have Bynum and Gasol for dinner:lol:lol

Amen

LOL

hehehe

Rummpd
02-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Splitter spent 5 good minutes on Bynum 2 days ago had 2 boards and took a charge and manned up to him.

The hate for this guy by some is unreal. He was a very good Euro player who actually played according to some at a higher level than Gasol or Scola over there.
He is a different type of player than Gasol - as he is a lot more physical than Gasol and certainly not as skilled as either Scola or Gasol offenisively; but he still has a hell of lot of potential and just needs time in the Spurs system.

Pop does not give compliments unless earned and another thing for the haters is that Splitter actually has a PER according to Hollinger higher than Dice and near other bigs on the Spurs and not far from Marcus Cousins who is getting more pub but playing for a horrible team where it is easier to put up stats. His TS% is close or higher than many bigs above him (much higher than Cousins( and he will get only better.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf/league/west

bulakenyo
02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
The game was more or less a blowout from the start.

No pressure, against a weaker team. And they let Duncan and the regular rotation bigs minimum minutes after the last game vs LAL.

I like Tiago, and i want him to become a future Spur all star, but his stats today are a bit misleading.

Rummpd
02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
The game was more or less a blowout from the start.

No pressure, against a weaker team. And they let Duncan and the regular rotation bigs minimum minutes after the last game vs LAL.

I like Tiago, and i want him to become a future Spur all star, but his stats today are a bit misleading.

Not really it was not so much of a blowout when Splitter helped make the decisive run and Sac has not only beat LAL recently but also gave Boston fits.

All I say is give Splitter 10-20 minutes a game more nights - his PER again among Western forwards is higher than either Dice or Bonner and his TS% is higher than many bigs including Cousins!

I feel Pop is seeing the light - he could have gone small last PM but put the hammer down with Blair and Splitter together that is a good combo as Blair can board and is quick - Splitter also plays tough and has height and length is rare on the Spurs (except for Tim of course)

boutons_deux
02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Splitter has good upside, esp mentally. I still don't think he plays the confidence we saw in his Euro games vids, doesn't feel he's expected to be a major contributor, load-bearer.

We'll see how much the Spurs challenge him with in the off season, and how he steps up then and his sophomore year.

bulakenyo
02-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Not really it was not so much of a blowout when Splitter helped make the decisive run and Sac has not only beat LAL recently but also gave Boston fits.

All I say is give Splitter 10-20 minutes a game more nights - his PER again among Western forwards is higher than either Dice or Bonner and his TS% is higher than many bigs including Cousins!

I feel Pop is seeing the light - he could have gone small last PM but put the hammer down with Blair and Splitter together that is a good combo as Blair can board and is quick - Splitter also plays tough and has height and length is rare on the Spurs (except for Tim of course)

There was no doubt in my mind that SAS will get the win, after the 1st quarter. They just became a bit complacent for a while to make it seem like a competitive game.

(Not saying SAS is an unbeatable super team, but c'mon, it's just the Kings. They're not as bad as the Cavs, but c'mon.)

I like Splitter's face up and higher post game. He can be really good there in due time. His deep position offensive game needs some more work, though.

Rummpd
02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
That is the fairest point but the more he plays the more comfortable he will get. Assuming the Spurs lock up the West seed with a week or so to go - he should play 20-25 minutes a game that last week and he should get more 10-15 minutes stretches on all the remaining back to backs and whenever Spurs get a nice lead plus in some tighter games. I would rather he plays less games with more minutes in each than 2-5 minute stretches but I trust in Pop.

MmP
02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Tiago is a great player, stupid fans needs to realize it's gonna take time. Scola didn't turned an All Star in his rookie season.

Trill Clinton
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days.:rolleyes

8FOR!3
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Tiago is a great player, stupid fans needs to realize it's gonna take time. Scola didn't turned an All Star in his rookie season.

An even better comparison is Manu Ginobili didn't come into this league as an All-Star. Tango Splinter will be fine.

Seventyniner
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Tiago will be the #2 or #3 big by the end of next season. With a full summer worth of workouts and training camp, he'll improve next year as much as RJ has this year.

And LOL @ PER arguments: weren't Mahinmi and Jackie Butler beasts in PER also?

jjktkk
02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Tiago will be the #2 or #3 big by the end of next season. With a full summer worth of workouts and training camp, he'll improve next year as much as RJ has this year.

And LOL @ PER arguments: weren't Mahinmi and Jackie Butler beasts in PER also?

Splitter won't overtake Blair or Dyess this year. The hope here is for Splitter to continue getting minutes to at least allow Pop to mix and match his bigs, depending on matchups, or going with the hot hand. Agree on wanting to see Splitter after a Summer of lifting and having a full year of the Spurs system under his belt.

awktalk
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
By the end of the regular season, I can see Splitter handing out gatorades and towels with his ass firmly locked to the bench...

If we have any plans on winning in the playoffs. Or we could just "develop Splitter" and say fuck the rest of the season.

Even while having his best game and going for 16/9 against a crappy Kings team, where we led by as many as 24, he was still a -5 on the night (cue the "+/- don't mean shit" crowd)

freddy79
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Splitter is a good player. I'm not sure how much better he can get in the future, but right now he's able to play 15 to 20 quality minutes for a lot of teams. In this league it's all about chances, and you gotta say that Spurs are not your "usual" team. Since Duncan is in San Antonio they're an elite team, so they cannot lose games just to make experiments with young players. But here is the bright side for Tiago: playing at the highest level, practicing with such a great player and great guy like Duncan, he can learn a lot. Sooner or later, this year or (likely) the next Tiago will play: it's just a matter of where and when. Playing for the Spurs, it means he has to earn every single minute, and the competition is pretty strong. In the future there should be much more space available for him, even in San Antonio. But right now, it's all about waiting, learning all the possible and being ready when needed.

Xevious
02-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Splitter's season is basically lost. Blame it on missing training camp, Dice still playing well, or whatever. But he isn't going to get any minutes come playoff time. None. The most we can expect out of him is minor relief to limit Mydyess and Duncan's minutes the rest of the regular season. With McDyess retiring after this season, a year with the system, and a full summer/training camp under his belt, he'll be productive next year. But there's no point in getting excited over one game against one of the worst teams in the league.