cutewizard
02-05-2011, 05:35 AM
there you have it Spurs fans

mahinmi was NEVER this good......

elson was NEVER this good......

nazr mohamed was NEVER this good

right!

Splitter can play!!!!!!

Go Spurs gooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

100%duncan
02-05-2011, 07:06 AM
dont hype it up all yet, Splitter played great but he needs consistency

Rummpd
02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
He just needs more playing time - the guy can play and should at least 10 min a night. The good news is Pop fully complimented him last PM he used to avoid that with Ian no matter what stats he put up once in a while.

ulosturedge
02-05-2011, 07:47 AM
He took some steps forward last night. He played much more aggressive but not at the expense of committing fouls. Whats most impressive is it seems like he has the IQ to figure out NBA ball. He just needs to keep learning from the coaches and vets, improve his touch around the basket(especially that jump hook), and lift some weights in the off-season(get tougher). He still needs to learn to react and position down low as the ball moves on offense. He's too stuck on the pick and roll, and if that's not there he just stands around taking up space. Would also be nice if he learned from Blair and Dice on attacking the offensive glass. With his mobility and height there is no reason why he can't be better at contesting for rebounds on the offensive end.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
a legend in the making, fkn goat

MaNu4Tres
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
In 12 games of seeing 16 minutes or more this season, Splitter is averaging 9.7 points and 5.4 rebounds in 21.3 mpg.

In 4 games of seeing 24 minutes or more this season, Splitter is averaging 14.3 points and 6.5 rebounds in 25.8 mpg.

In 17 games of seeing 8 minutes or less this season, Splitter is averaging 1 point and .8 rebounds in 4.8 mpg. (Not including his 11 DNP's this season)

The guy simply needs time.

I don't understand how critical some of you all have been, especially after the games where he gets garbage minutes at best. It's not fair and it's stupid to analyze a players performance based on such very limited outings.

Unfortunately, it just so happened Splitter was set back due to injury out of the gate this year, where he missed the entire training camp. And while trying to get back in the mix of things, his main competition for minutes (Bonner and Blair) progressively improved their production and have played their best ball of their careers the past several months.

All in all, the reason for lack of minutes is not because he sucks. It's because his competition for minutes has performed damn well and on top of that, they had already earned the minutes by gaining Pop's trust even before Splitter signed with the Spurs. Add these facts to the fact that Splitter missed the entire training camp and you get Splitter fighting a hard uphill battle for minutes so far this season.

I repeat-- the guy does not suck-- He just needs the time. /rant

BlairForceDejuan
02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
He throws up weak shit around the basket ala Oberto 97% of the time. That won't fly in the playoffs.

Bambililos
02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
He needs to get better hands. I can't stand the turnovers, missed rebounds, balls deflected, because he doesn't have a good handle on balls.

Other than that, I believe in him. He has size, great BB IQ, he's young... He's gonna contribute big for the Spurs, at least next season (I'd be glad it happens this season, though).

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
There are some idiots on here who have been proclaiming that Tiago sucks.
But then these are probably some of the same idioys that said the same about Manu when he first broke into the league.
It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.
Hard to believe it is mostly some Spurs fans (or so they say) making these claims.

rascal
02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
There are some idiots on here who have been proclaiming that Tiago sucks.
But then these are probably some of the same idioys that said the same about Manu when he first broke into the league.
It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.
Hard to believe it is mostly some Spurs fans (or so they say) making these claims.

He is nothing more than a deep end of bench role player. He sucks for the expectations put out by this board. Most of his minutes have come in garbage time or against nonplayoff teams and he has struggled in most of those situations.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
In 12 games of seeing 16 minutes or more this season, Splitter is averaging 9.7 points and 5.4 rebounds in 21.3 mpg.

In 4 games of seeing 24 minutes or more this season, Splitter is averaging 14.3 points and 6.5 rebounds in 25.8 mpg.

In 17 games of seeing 8 minutes or less this season, Splitter is averaging 1 point and .8 rebounds in 4.8 mpg. (Not including his 11 DNP's this season)

I don't understand how critical some of you all have been, especially after the games where he gets garbage minutes at best. It's not fair and it's stupid to analyze a players performance based on such very limited outings.

Unfortunately, it just so happened Splitter was set back due to injury out of the gate this year, where he missed the entire training camp. And while trying to get back in the mix of things, his main competition for minutes (Bonner and Blair) progressively improved their production and have played their best ball of their careers the past several months.

All in all, the reason for lack of minutes is not because he sucks. It's because his competition for minutes has performed damn well and on top of that, they had already earned the minutes by gaining Pop's trust even before Splitter signed with the Spurs. Add these facts to the fact that Splitter missed the entire training camp and you get Splitter fighting a hard uphill battle for minutes so far this season.

i dont think mismatches is the problem, its fkn pop not willing to play him even if his fatigued or not...dude just wants to play u can look at his face

unless pop needs him on the bench cause he loves ass

underdawg
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
there you have it Spurs fans

mahinmi was NEVER this good......

elson was NEVER this good......

nazr mohamed was NEVER this good

right!

Splitter can play!!!!!!

Go Spurs gooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I don't get the Ian vs Tiago comparisons - it's not even close and never has been.

I was a big supporter of Ian getting some playing time last year to help on weak side defense and some help in protecting the lane (even if that wasn't his strength,) but Tiago has much different and more important qualities.

Tiago has potential for one-on-one defense that the Spurs need badly. He also has offensive potential (his moves looked vastly improved last night) that is huge as well.

Ian at best, could have been useful for small doses in a team defensive role and maybe some mop-up on offense, while Tiago could possibly help with defending proven bigs on defense and even help on offense while some of the starters are getting a rest - that's a big difference.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

:tu

The truth.

He is nothing more than a deep end of bench role player.

Bookmarked.

PublicOption
02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
He needs to get better hands. I can't stand the turnovers, missed rebounds, balls deflected, because he doesn't have a good handle on balls.

Other than that, I believe in him. He has size, great BB IQ, he's young... He's gonna contribute big for the Spurs, at least next season (I'd be glad it happens this season, though).

then I guess Tim Duncan has been pissing you off all year.

bigfan
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Splitter has the potential to be pretty good.

Mohammed was not too bad (and could be pretty good sometimes).

Elson was a little worse than Mohammed.

Mahinmi was not as good as Elson (though I think he will get better over time.)

Oberto was better than all of them but wasnt tall enough.

benefactor
02-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Tres...with the goods.

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
He is nothing more than a deep end of bench role player. He sucks for the expectations put out by this board. Most of his minutes have come in garbage time or against nonplayoff teams and he has struggled in most of those situations.

I for one will be glad when people like you are eating your words about Tiago, because make no mistake, you will in due time.
Were you one of the ones who also said Manu sucks?

disciple
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM

It certainly shows that his numbers increase exponentially with the more time he plays.

If you take his numbers when he plays 25 minutes and extend them to the 38 minutes a young starting 7 footer should be playing he would be averaging 21 points and 10 rebounds a game. Would that shut everyone up?

Seems I remember someone predicting before the season even began that Splitter would be a 20-10 player some day. Still yet to happen but early returns are looking in that direction.

splitterthefuture
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
The future...

Tigole Bitties
02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
it was against the Sacramento Kings

who was he matched up with most of the time? 6-8 Darnell Jackson?

BRs.Ganso
02-05-2011, 10:43 AM

obvious he wont score 15 points per game

but i think, playing 25 or more minutes, he can average at least 9.5 points and 5 boards in his Rookie Season.

silverblk mystix
02-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Gotta disagree strongly here.

I have been saying all year that all Tiago needs is time. He will force Pop to play him eventually.

It is more than obvious that he can play. In time, good players rise above their circumstances and just play.

Remember Pop yanking Manu and benching him in the first half of Manu's first season?

I'm in no way saying Tiago is on Manu's level because they are different type players...but Tiago will play a MAJOR role for the Spurs in the future...it just depends on Pop giving him playing time.

YODA
02-05-2011, 10:52 AM
He just needs to get stronger. If u recall David when he was first in league versus later on, u will see he really bulked on those biceps. Splitter so use to finesse play and he really isnt use to all this brutality. Given time, he will be fine. He already has the IQ and knows where he needs to be.

rascal
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I for one will be glad when people like you are eating your words about Tiago, because make no mistake, you will in due time.

Show me where I said Manu sucks. I said he was a borderline all star with one gift all star appearance and doesn't put up stats like the true all stars. he is fortunate the spurs got off to a great start this year so he got an all star invite based on the teams success. He is an important part of that success but still gets the invite on the teams top record success. In years past he did not get the invite because the spurs were not winning.

I said Manu was overrated in here and I still say that .

Harry Callahan
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Show me where I said Manu sucks. I said he was a borderline all star with one gift all star appearance and doesn't put up stats like the true all stars. he is fortunate the spurs got off to a great start this year so he got an all star invite based on the teams success. He is an important part of that success but still gets the invite on the teams top record success. In years past he did not get the invite because the spurs were not winning.

Tell us which Spurs you actually like since Splitter is worthless and Manu overrated IYO. You may not realize it, but fans tend to focus on their home team players.

Do you have something against South Americans?

mathbzh
02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Where is KBP 2.0 when you need him :rolleyes

Fabbs
02-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm loving Splitters willingness to mix it up physically even with his thin frame.
Bynum tried backing him down with rump pushes and Splitter simply maintainted position and shoved right back just as hard, as if to say "get that Laker ass out of my face!".

Love the attitude.

Got to continue to give him more minutes on these upcoming b2b's Poppycock.

Is the only reason Splitts is getting minutes due to Matty Bonners being out? :depressed

toki9
02-05-2011, 12:40 PM

I think Pop would disagree with you...there have been very few winners comparable to Manu...besides Manu, only Bill Bradley has a Euroleague title, NBA title, and Olympic gold...

And remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic

toki9
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm loving Splitters willingness to mix it up physically even with his thin frame.
Bynum tried backing him down with rump pushes and Splitter simply maintainted position and shoved right back just as hard, as if to say "get that Laker ass out of my face!".

Love the attitude.

Got to continue to give him more minutes on these upcoming b2b's Poppycock.

Is the only reason Splitts is getting minutes due to Matty Bonners being out? :depressed

It seems like Pop actually respects Tiago's toughness...and that's the first sign of trust from the crusty curmudgeon...I think it's very difficult to earn Pop's trust, but once you get it, he'll go down with you...so Tiago's probably on the right path...

8FOR!3
02-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Tiago Splitter is one of the craftiest bigs I know about right now offensively, once he adjusts to the NBA the potential is there. And the great thing is that's not his strong suit. His defense right now is looking very solid.

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM

First, you might try to learn HOW TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!!
I asked a question, not made a statement, about you and the Manu sucks issue.
Read before making idiotic replies and maybe your posts would get more respect, and credibility.

And it is pretty obvious that Pop and coaching staff as well as most of the coaches in this league disagree with you about Manu. That goes without saying.
Manu has more than proved his worth, especially in intangibles, to assure his eventual inclusion in the Basketball Hall of Fame, which rarely happens to players of "marginal" or "overrated" ability.
And if you don't agree with that, fine, but you would be in a very very tiny minority on some tiny isolated island somewhere!

Most coaches, and Pop, will heartily disagree with you, and tell you the
Spurs are fortunate to have him, not the other way around as you allege.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and everybody thinks theirs doesn't stink. This definitely comes to mind when reading your posts!

cutewizard
02-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Manu is the smartest player in the game

definitely a Hall of Famer

i think Manu is even more intelligent basketball wise than Jordan

the only ones who can match Manu in basketball IQ, i think, are Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Rodman and Ramon Fernandez of the Philippines...

Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lil'mo
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
He throws up weak shit around the basket ala Oberto 97% of the time. That won't fly in the playoffs.

dead wrong about oberto and you've now lost all credibility.

cutewizard
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
as to Fernandez......for those who know him....

imagine, just imagine a 6'9 Ramon Fernandez......??

not even Olajuwon could not stop him then........

for "El Presidente" Ramon Fernandez had an array of shots not seen in basketball, before or since....

including the incredible "elegant shot!!!"

a de cuatro in the air, unbelievable.....

texbound
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Actually, he was matched up against Demarcus Cousins for long stretches. He showed good footwork and made cousins take contested shots. He seemed to frustrate Cousins. He does need more strength because he got rooted out of position a couple of times going for rebounds. All in all, he played pretty well against a talented rookie PF/C. Cousin was clearly stronger than Tiago. He has a little way to go, but he has a lot of potential and, like another poster mentioned, he appears to have the IQ to get there.

mingus
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
If anything Ginobili is underrated. 1 all-star appearance doesn't do him justice and if you think it does you're a moron. Hes been 3rd or 4th best sg every year he's played. Borderline all-star? You just lost any credibility.

cutewizard
02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
people would probably think it is only the nba players who got incredible skills

no!
definitely not

if you watched Sabonis in his prime......

oh cmon!!!

Sabonis was the original point center!!! the center with the most incredible passing skills, and he could hit the three also, imagine...

my point being: there are many, many players outside the nba with incredible basketball skills

and our beloved Manu being the most visible now,

but there were others....

Ramon Fernandez

Oscar Schmidt

Sabonis

Samboy Lim

Allan Caidic (who was Chip Engelland's teammate)

etc etc etc

awktalk
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
His trade value will never be higher, we should be actively shopping him right now.

In all honesty, I think Pop hates Splinter (and with good reason). The only way dude will have a meaningful impact is if he (and this has already been pointed out):

- bulks up his upper body in the off-season. he gets punished any time there is contact, which has resulted in drawing charges but once the refs catch on, those will be called less and less. The good thing: anybody can lift weights.

- develops a shot. I haven't seen Splinter make a jumper all year. He simply has to develop a 12-15 ft shot. The good thing: Spurs are experts at this. The bad thing: his fundamentals are so horrible (ahem, nice free throw stroke Tiago) that this could take years

- gets softer hands. Watching him play next to Blair last night showed how soft and magnetized DJBs hands are, while Splinter looks like he is playing without thumbs. The bad thing: not something you can really work on, you either have it or you don't for the most part

cutewizard
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM

for "El Presidente" Ramon Fernandez had an array of shots not seen in basketball, before or since....

sorry guys

it should be: "not even Olajuwon could stop him then...."

wrong grammar, lol

Cessation
02-05-2011, 01:50 PM

lol you lost all your credibility with that line noob, if anything manu is underrated with all the intangibles he brings

KaiRMD1
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I think his hook shot might come in handy later when he really gets that on lock like Tony's floater. All in all, it was definitely a good showing by him and raises my faith in the boy.

Proxy
02-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Manu overrated? ... please don't post anything anymore until you play a game of basketball

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
His trade value will never be higher, we should be actively shopping him right now.

In all honesty, I think Pop hates Splinter (and with good reason). The only way dude will have a meaningful impact is if he (and this has already been pointed out):

- bulks up his upper body in the off-season. he gets punished any time there is contact, which has resulted in drawing charges but once the refs catch on, those will be called less and less. The good thing: anybody can lift weights.

- develops a shot. I haven't seen Splinter make a jumper all year. He simply has to develop a 12-15 ft shot. The good thing: Spurs are experts at this. The bad thing: his fundamentals are so horrible (ahem, nice free throw stroke Tiago) that this could take years

- gets softer hands. Watching him play next to Blair last night showed how soft and magnetized DJBs hands are, while Splinter looks like he is playing without thumbs. The bad thing: not something you can really work on, you either have it or you don't for the most part

Some of what you say makes sense especially what he can do, and most probably will do in the off season under coaches supervision.

But thinking that Pop hates him???????? Where did that come from???????
If you had read or seen the last Fans Ask Pop session then you would have a very different perception than that. Pop tended to gush over him and nothing but good things to say about him and his future with the Spurs!

alchemist
02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
To me Tiago still moves really weird around the rim, in 2 years he'll be beasting for sure though. Keep Blair by his side and you'll have a nice post presence for the future.

awktalk
02-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Some of what you say makes sense especially what he can do, and most probably will do in the off season under coaches supervision.

If you had read or seen the last Fans Ask Pop session then you would have a very different perception than that. Pop tended to gush over him and nothing but good things to say about him and his future with the Spurs!

It comes from nothing other than gut feel, I could be totally wrong and would be glad to be. But of course Pop is going to tow the company line and praise his players publicly. Just like he's not going to say he hates the ASG and the last thing he wants to do is spend a weekend in LA for a meaningless game; he says "I am honored". The reason I think that is because Pop looks for fire from his young guys and desire to learn. Tiago seems disinterested, I never hear reports of him arriving early and leaving late from practices. I never see him first up off the bench cheering the guys on. I never hear anecdotes from Timmah how Tiago milks his brain and tries to emulate his work ethic and learn everything he can from the greatest PF to ever play. I hope I'm wrong. Everyone here seems to think that being critical of Splinter is Splinter-hate, but the reality is that everyone wants him to develop and dominate and help the Spurs win. Those who are critical just don't see the upside as clearly as those on his jock.

awktalk
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Oh, and one more reason. When Pop loves a player, especially a young one, he will jump their shit and scream and yell and get up in their face when they make a mistake. This happens to Blair and Neal this season. It happens to Bonner even though he's a vet. It is well documented how much shit TP and Manu had to put up with in their first couple of seasons. But I haven't seen Pop lay into Splinter once this season. Maybe his play is perfect and Pop has nothing to say for him to improve on, or maybe he has and I just missed it (although I've watched every game this season). Instead, it seems like Pop is in such disgust with his mistakes that he feels like it isn't even worth his breath.

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
It comes from nothing other than gut feel, I could be totally wrong and would be glad to be. But of course Pop is going to tow the company line and praise his players publicly. Just like he's not going to say he hates the ASG and the last thing he wants to do is spend a weekend in LA for a meaningless game; he says "I am honored". The reason I think that is because Pop looks for fire from his young guys and desire to learn. Tiago seems disinterested, I never hear reports of him arriving early and leaving late from practices. I never see him first up off the bench cheering the guys on. I never hear anecdotes from Timmah how Tiago milks his brain and tries to emulate his work ethic and learn everything he can from the greatest PF to ever play. I hope I'm wrong. Everyone here seems to think that being critical of Splinter is Splinter-hate, but the reality is that everyone wants him to develop and dominate and help the Spurs win. Those who are critical just don't see the upside as clearly as those on his jock.

I see where you are coming from. I recommend that you look back a little bit to the Ask Pop sessions because he was asked this about Tiago and he said Tiago was a very frustrated young man right now but was constantly working with the coaching staff to catch up both before and after games.

And in an interview with Tiago from Brazil he said how Timmy and Manu and Diess are all helping him with advice and encouragement.

awktalk
02-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I see where you are coming from. I recommend that you look back a little bit to the Ask Pop sessions because he was asked this about Tiago and he said Tiago was a very frustrated young man right now but was constantly working with the coaching staff to catch up both before and after games.

And in an interview with Tiago from Brazil he said how Timmy and Manu and Diess are all helping him with advice and encouragement.

I'll do that, although I still don't put much weight behind public statements, the Spurs are never going to throw their own to the wolves or leave a soldier on the battlefield. The "very frustrated young man" thing could also explain why Pop doesn't get in his grill, he may have decided it would be counterproductive at this point.

Cessation
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Oh, and one more reason. When Pop loves a player, especially a young one, he will jump their shit and scream and yell and get up in their face when they make a mistake. This happens to Blair and Neal this season. It happens to Bonner even though he's a vet. It is well documented how much shit TP and Manu had to put up with in their first couple of seasons. But I haven't seen Pop lay into Splinter once this season. Maybe his play is perfect and Pop has nothing to say for him to improve on, or maybe he has and I just missed it (although I've watched every game this season). Instead, it seems like Pop is in such disgust with his mistakes that he feels like it isn't even worth his breath.

What about Pops favorite player from last year, George Hill, when did he ever get in his face? I think your "gut feeling" might be a little overrated.

biskvito
02-05-2011, 03:00 PM
The reason I think that is because Pop looks for fire from his young guys and desire to learn. Tiago seems disinterested, I never hear reports of him arriving early and leaving late from practices.

Q: Hey Coach Pop, I know there was a lot of unfair expectations put on Tiago Splitter coming into this season. How do you feel he has handled the transition to the NBA?
A: He has done a very good job. He is a very frustrated player right now because he is not getting minutes. He comes in before and after every practice and works very hard. Missing training camp really hurt him, for a lot of reasons that are pretty obvious. He has been behind the power curve the entire year but he continues to work and we're trying hard to find him minutes and hopefully he'll be more of a significant factor by the time playoffs come.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1102.html

You might wanna check out that hate tank, it's so full is spilling out.:rolleyes

toki9
02-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Pop has also said a few times that Tiago is a "tough kid"...for an old codger like Pop to say something like that should indicate a lot about how much respect that Tiago is starting to earn from him...

Cessation
02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I like how well blair and splitter play together, they definetly have some chemistry. Blairs pf play has gotten much better, too. :toast

FkLA
02-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Borderline all-star? Has been gift wrapped an all-star appearance??

In past years he didnt get invites because he was coming off the bench playing under 30 mpg, for the betterment of the team. If anything he's been underrated his entire career for not putting up 25 ppg...but how many of the players that put up those numbers come off the bench and play under 30 mpg? How many have had two all-star caliber players alongside them? How many have been in such a team oriented environment? Look at the Celtics for a similar example and look how upon the formation of their big 3...Pierce's, Allen's, and KG's numbers all went down considerably. Anybody that can look past scoring realizes that Manu has consistantly been the 3rd/4th (now clearly 3rd with Roy's injuries) best SG in the league behind Kobe and Wade the past 5 yrs. You dont even realize how special of a player we have with Manu, kinda sad tbh.

:rolleyes

awktalk
02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
What about Pops favorite player from last year, George Hill, when did he ever get in his face? I think your "gut feeling" might be a little overrated.

He's gotten on Hill for missed rotations. GH just doesn't make very many defensive mistakes, which is what pisses Pop off.

Cessation
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
He's gotten on Hill for missed rotations. GH just doesn't make very many defensive mistakes, which is what pisses Pop off.

It was well documented that pop treated hill differently, then other rookies, nice try though. :toast

awktalk
02-05-2011, 03:31 PM
It was well documented that pop treated hill differently, then other rookies, nice try though. :toast

No doubt Hill was treated differently, not just as a rook but since he was drafted. So you think Pop sees Tiago as his next favorite player?

rascal
02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Borderline all-star? Has been gift wrapped an all-star appearance??

In past years he didnt get invites because he was coming off the bench playing under 30 mpg, for the betterment of the team. If anything he's been underrated his entire career for not putting up 25 ppg...but how many of the players that put up those numbers come off the bench and play under 30 mpg? How many have had two all-star caliber players alongside them? How many have been in such a team oriented environment? Look at the Celtics for a similar example and look how upon the formation of their big 3...Pierce's, Allen's, and KG's numbers all went down considerably. Anybody that can look past scoring realizes that Manu has consistantly been the 3rd/4th (now clearly 3rd with Roy's injuries) best SG in the league behind Kobe and Wade the past 5 yrs. You dont even realize how special of a player we have with Manu, kinda sad tbh.

:rolleyes

It was not for the betterment of the team that Manu was not getting minutes. It was because he was wearing down with the minutes that the true all stars were getting and he went through some injuries. It is hard to argue that a player is better when he doesn't get the stats that the others put up and doesn't log the minutes. Put wade, Kobe, Monta Ellis, Joe Johnson, Jennings, T. Evans, Roy, Paul Pierce, Iguodala all as good if not better than Manu. Manu is closer to 10 for sg then top 3. if you have him as the 3rd best you are overrating him.

Also there many better pgs in the league that are better than sgs so more pgs make the all star team than sgs. Manu is a borderline all star that has gotten one gift apperance the first time he got selected when others had better stats, then the long drought of non all star appearances, then this year he gets selected because the spurs are off to such a great regular seaon start and his numbers are slightly better than Parkers.

Cessation
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
No doubt Hill was treated differently, not just as a rook but since he was drafted. So you think Pop sees Tiago as his next favorite player?

Possibly, he's been patient with his adjustment to the nba, not ripping into him, despite Splinter making plenty of rookie mistakes. Though, pop would have to make a public announcement for it to become official, lol.

toki9
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Put wade, Kobe, Monta Ellis, Joe Johnson, Jennings, T. Evans, Roy, Paul Pierce, Iguodala all as good if not better than Manu. Manu is closer to 10 for sg then top 3.

Monta Ellis, Joe Johnson, Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Brandon "No Meniscus" Roy, Paul "I need a wheelchair because I have a hangnail" Pierce, Andre Iguodala? All these players are as good if not better?

So would you trade Manu for any one of those players, straight-up?

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Splitter is still awkward from an offensive standpoint, but it looks like he's getting better..I still think he's gonna have to re-tool his shot, but he sets solid screens and knows where to be on the floor..

Defensively, as I pointed out in my Splitter thread earlier in the season, he has been solid all year..he has been the 2nd best defensive big, next to Tim, and he barely has any chemistry with the team..

As for Rascal, are you guys unaware of who you're arguing with?..I'm far from a Spurs homer, in fact, a lot of the overly optimistic Spurs fans here annoy me..there are a lot of overly pessimistic posters on ST as well, but you can tell that they're still fans of the team..when it comes to Rascal, I don't think I've ever seen him say 1 good thing about the Spurs..he seems to dislike most of the players on the team..I remember he used to hate Bowen, too..

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
:lol that list is atrocious..only Kobe, Pierce and Wade can be seen as better, you can't make an argument for the rest IMO..Jennings, Evans, Iggy, are those serious picks?!..

toki9
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
:lol that list is atrocious..only Kobe, Pierce and Wade can be seen as better, you can't make an argument for the rest IMO..Jennings, Evans, Iggy, are those serious picks?!..

Yeah, maybe this is a "you're being punked" thread?

FkLA
02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
It was not for the betterment of the team that Manu was not getting minutes. It was because he was wearing down with the minutes that the true all stars were getting and he went through some injuries. It is hard to argue that a player is better when he doesn't get the stats that the others put up and doesn't log the minutes. Put wade, Kobe, Monta Ellis, Joe Johnson, Jennings, T. Evans, Roy, Paul Pierce, Iguodala all as good if not better than Manu. Manu is closer to 10 for sg then top 3. if you have him as the 3rd best you are overrating him.

Also there many better pgs in the league that are better than sgs so more pgs make the all star team than sgs. Manu is a borderline all star that has gotten one gift apperance the first time he got selected when others had better stats, then the long drought of non all star appearances, then this year he gets selected because the spurs are off to such a great regular seaon start and his numbers are slightly better than Parkers.

Monta Ellis puts up 25 ppg, on by far the fastest paced team while playing 40+ mpg...not to mention his shot selection. :lol

Joe Johnson? They have a nickname for him I think its like 'one-on-one Joe' or something like that because he's only good at one thing. :lol

Jennings is a PG, he runs the Bucks efficiently but thats about itt their offense is by far the worst in the league. :lol

Iguadala is a SF, nowhere close to being the playmaker Manu is. :lol

Tyreke has a chance to be a superstar, but he's not there yet.

Pierce is a SF as well, but like I said look at how his numbers dipped once Allen and KG came on board....thats the type of teammates Manu has had his entire career, thats the real reason his numbers have never been what theyve been for other guys. Youre holding the fact that Manu has had great teammates against him, which is ridiculous.

toki9
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Has this thread been hijacked?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM

That was after he had DeMarcus Cousins give up. The hookshot in his face, the charges drawn and stellar defense had Cousins giving up and benched by the third.

MaNu4Tres
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I really hope Pop doesn't put a cork in the confidence Splitter's feeling now by giving him consecutive DNP's or very limited minutes in the near future. This would obviously stunt his potential growth and confident rhythm to a degree.

Pop needs to give him (and the team) a real opportunity to build on his performance from last night. (Especially because of the potential defensive ceiling of this team when Splitter is an important part of the rotation)

The dude is hungry. Pop needs to let the big dog eat. :hungry:

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Muccas, this guy's got a clue. :tu

UnWantedTheory
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Im getting worried...this is a Splitter thread. Where is Manu_Forever? :wow

awktalk
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM

I don't know, but did you hear that Splitter was never the best big man in Europe?

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't know, but did you hear that Splitter was never the best big man in Europe?

Oh yeah, I've heard that ad nauseum.

BRs.Ganso
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM

in this right time, probably is cutting his pulses. :blah

objective
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
In past years he didnt get invites because he was coming off the bench playing under 30 mpg, for the betterment of the team.

It was not for the betterment of the team that Manu was not getting minutes. It was because he was wearing down with the minutes that the true all stars were getting and he went through some injuries.

I suspect the true, unspoken reason Manu came off the bench was because the players who were supposed to be coming off the bench came off as quitters and babies who didn't give their best effort unless Pop gave them starts. Hedo, Finley, Barry, Mason, all those guys dogged it when they were coming off the bench. Then they were gifted starts and *BAM* they somehow start producing and feeling good.

Manu should have been starting every game since his rookie year, but there were players who purposely or not would end up sabotaging things.

UnWantedTheory
02-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Wait...Did I hear what? Something about Europe you say?

objective
02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
back on Splitter

I've wanted Splitter to start just about all season so Blair could come off the bench and wreak havoc against tired starters and bench bigs. And to get Splitter adjusted by the playoffs. Splitter is missing all the junkshots he vomited up overseas that I worried about before the season, but aside from that he's been mostly delivering on his defensive potential.

Let us all be thankful for the Bonner injury forcing Pop to go with Splitter a little more than he probably would have. He still was stubborn over it with some garbage time and DNP-CDs for Splitter even without Bonner, but this is for the best.

I considered starting a thread a week before the Bonner injury asking if a non-severe injury to a big would be the best thing for them. Injuries save Pop from himself.

Injuries freed Stephen Jackson, not Pop. Rasho going down freed Nazr, who had zero experience in the system, but that didn't keep him from contributing as the starting center on a title team. If Rasho never went down, how well would things have gone for that team?

Hopefully Splitter will continue to experience some of that freedom, though I'm sure he'd be farther along without so much time in DNP-CD lock-up.

benefactor
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM
lol all the gnsf's taking rascal seriously.

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
back on Splitter

I've wanted Splitter to start just about all season so Blair could come off the bench and wreak havoc against tired starters and bench bigs. And to get Splitter adjusted by the playoffs. Splitter is missing all the junkshots he vomited up overseas that I worried about before the season, but aside from that he's been mostly delivering on his defensive potential.

Let us all be thankful for the Bonner injury forcing Pop to go with Splitter a little more than he probably would have. He still was stubborn over it with some garbage time and DNP-CDs for Splitter even without Bonner, but this is for the best.

I considered starting a thread a week before the Bonner injury asking if a non-severe injury to a big would be the best thing for them. Injuries save Pop from himself.

Injuries freed Stephen Jackson, not Pop. Rasho going down freed Nazr, who had zero experience in the system, but that didn't keep him from contributing as the starting center on a title team. If Rasho never went down, how well would things have gone for that team?

Hopefully Splitter will continue to experience some of that freedom, though I'm sure he'd be farther along without so much time in DNP-CD lock-up.

Muccas, this guy's got a clue too. And the injury aspect has been something I've been discussing with my mucca from another mother ad nauseam. The coach rarely promotes the unentrenced (probably just made up a word) over the entrenched without injury or just utter ineptitude -- but mostly injury.

lol all the gnsf's taking rascal seriously.

Just one of the many simple joys a regular finds here at SpursTalk. :)

bigfan
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Splitter looks like he needs to hit the weights a bit. His arms look skinny, he needs to follow the David Robinson example. :)

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Splitter looks like he needs to hit the weights a bit. His arms look skinny, he needs to follow the David Robinson example. :)

Can't bench-press genetics.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
the unentrenced (probably just made up a word)

Made up and misspelled.

Cessation
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
gnsf getting trolled? Impossible!

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Made up and misspelled.

You can't misspell what you make up, Obi! :downspin:

kaji157
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM

I might remember you that 2 years ago Manu was seriously robbed of a all star nod because coaches thought Roy and West were better than him, even when their stats were similar with both west and roy playing 5 more minutes than Manu.
Roy had exactly the same Stats as manu with 4 more mins a game, and worse shooting % yet he got the nod over Manu. West was given the nod because the game was held in NO and he was Paul's sidekick.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
You can't misspell what you make up, Obi! :downspin:

Let me get back to you on that one.

SpurAddict561
02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
He's got the best offensive game of a Spurs center since the Admiral

HANDS DOWN

SpurAddict561
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I firmly believe if he can get to where he can come off the bench and give us 8-10 pts and 8 rebounds and stand down low on defense we will win it all.

Cessation
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Can't bench-press genetics.

You don't bench press to work out your arms, lol.

xtremesteven33
02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Hard to say Tiago is showing promise after his first big game. The jury is still out on Splitter IMO...

But I think Mdcyess is going to start sometime soon. Pop has shown trust and admiration towards him and Antonio has delivered. Blair off the bench would be a better fit for him.

eric365
02-05-2011, 07:42 PM

It was the same thing with Mahinmi and you can find the same kind of stats with other role player.

There is a reason when a role player who play usually 5mpg plays 20 or 30 minutes for a specific game

It's either a good matchup, a weak oponent or garbage time.
The games with 20+ minutes for Splitter are in garbage time (Hornets, Magic) or against weak front court (Warriors twice, Kings, Cavs).

The only 2 times he played 20+ minutes against legit bigs are the wolves (6pts, 4reb in 22 minutes....) and the nuggets (he had a good game and Pop played him because he is used to Nene)

So basicaly, the impressive stats you show are against garbage level...

Do you remember last year when Mahinmi had a big game against the Nets and in some garbage time ? It's exactly the same. And we have learned that even with all the minutes in the world, Mahinmi can't compete against legit bigs

For now, Splitter is not impressive at all each time he played against legit bigs. But I'm sure that next year he will be wayyyy better.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
It was the same thing with Mahinmi and you can find the same kind of stats with other role player.

There is a reason when a role player who play usually 5mpg plays 20 or 30 minutes for a specific game

It's either a good matchup, a weak oponent or garbage time.
The games with 20+ minutes for Splitter are in garbage time (Hornets, Magic) or against weak front court (Warriors twice, Kings, Cavs).

The only 2 times he played 20+ minutes against legit bigs are the wolves (6pts, 4reb in 22 minutes....) and the nuggets (he had a good game and Pop played him because he is used to Nene)

So basicaly, the impressive stats you show are against garbage level...

Do you remember last year when Mahinmi had a big game against the Nets and in some garbage time ? It's exactly the same. And we have learned that even with all the minutes in the world, Mahinmi can't compete against legit bigs

For now, Splitter is not impressive at all each time he played against legit bigs. But I'm sure that next year he will be wayyyy better.

Cousins/Dalembert/Landry combined for 57 points and 25 rebounds in a victory over the Lakers in LA last week and then 46/21 in a home win over New Orleans with Okafor. Pretty good for garbage. :rolleyes

eric365
02-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Cousins/Dalembert/Landry combined for 57 points and 25 rebounds in a victory over the Lakers in LA last week and then 46/21 in a home win over New Orleans with Okafor. Pretty good for garbage. :rolleyes

Cousins is a rookie. He has very good games and some other very bad.
Yesterday the kings's bigs were not specially impressive. Duncan and Blair didn't have much trouble before Splitter got in...

And on the 8 games where Splitter has got 20+ minutes, it's the only one you found to contest. I think it proves my point : garbage time and weak oponents

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Cousins is a rookie. He has very good games and some other very bad.
Yesterday the kings's bigs were not specially impressive. Duncan and Blair didn't have much trouble before Splitter got in...

And on the 8 games where Splitter has got 20+ minutes, it's the only one you found to contest. I think it proves my point : garbage time and weak oponents

I don't really care. You seem to be particularly invested in making the case that any good performance by Splitter can be discounted for one reason or another. This most recent good performance was against a front line that has had success, within the last week or so, against the defending champs and the best defensive team in the Western Conference.

You wish to ignore that so that you can "prove your point", fine with me. The facts still exist.

eric365
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't really care. You seem to be particularly invested in making the case that any good performance by Splitter can be discounted for one reason or another. This most recent good performance was against a front line that has had success, within the last week or so, against the defending champs and the best defensive team in the Western Conference.

You wish to ignore that so that you can "prove your point", fine with me. The facts still exist.

I would be happy to think that Spitter is great and spurstalk is not making it a Mahinmi 2.0. But right now it's not the case and I just wanted to tell that the stats that MaNu4Tres made were msileading

There is nothing to expect this year from Splitter. Even if pop gives him tons of minutes
Next year is another story

BackHome
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't think most of us were expecting him to be giving us David Robinsons numbers or to be our best Cener of PF ever. I think most of us were just looking at someone who would be better than Nazz, Elson, Oberto, or Ian.......So on that point he has meet my expectations.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I would be happy to think that Spitter is great and spurstalk is not making it a Mahinmi 2.0.

IMO, the cases of Splitter and Mahinmi are barely comparable, if at all.

But right now it's not the case and I just wanted to tell that the stats that MaNu4Tres made were msileading

There is nothing to expect this year from Splitter. Even if pop gives him tons of minutes
Next year is another story

Perhaps you're right. I'd even say it's more likely that you're right, but that story still has a few chapters to be written.

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
You don't bench press to work out your arms, lol.

Yes I do.

DMC
02-05-2011, 11:18 PM
That was after he had DeMarcus Cousins give up. The hookshot in his face, the charges drawn and stellar defense had Cousins giving up and benched by the third.
The finger injury played a part. When your coach allows a what, 12-2 run to start the game without calling a timeout, he's not really in it to win anyhow.

rascal
02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes I do.

Better to do bicep curls/tricep- kickbacks/ extensions for arms.

Blackjack
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Better to do bicep and tricep curls for arms.

I do squats for my triceps and biceps.

analyzed
02-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Like it or not , Splitter has to play a critical role to neutralize the size advantage of Bynum ,
Quote from Pop:

As he insisted to reporters, Popovich was not “blowing smoke” about the Lakers’ pre-eminence in the West. Watching Andrew Bynum in Thursday’s game was a reminder. The Lakers’ long-armed 7-foot center frequently snatched rebounds from the grasp of shorter Spurs who had established position in front of him.
The Spurs, Popovich said, have to improve defensively if they want to be “the last team standing.” He gave Tiago Splitter, his rookie center, a short stint against Bynum on Thursday night, a possible preview of coming playoff attractions.
He liked what he saw, even as he insisted Splitter wasn’t on the court long enough to form an opinion.
It is clear that in the last 32 regular-season games, Popovich must discover if Splitter and other young Spurs — DeJuan Blair and Gary Neal — have the skills and knowledge to bring the defense up to playoff level.
“I’m not sure about a couple of the young guys, if they can catch on that quickly and get it done right,” he said. “… These last 30 games, or whatever we’ve got left, are very important in that respect.

trollt
02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
^ (analyzed's post)

I'm guessing "a couple of the young guys" means specifically Anderson and Splitter. We've talked Tiago and it's obvious why we need him against the contending PO frontcourts.
If Anderson returns to Nov 2010 form can he also contribute like Manu does on the boards? "No rebounds, no rings."

Blackjack
02-06-2011, 01:59 AM
You're doing it wrong.

jjktkk
02-06-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm waiting for the Jobu Rock hard biceps, training dvd to come out. :lol

Blackjack
02-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm waiting for the Jobu Rock hard biceps, training dvd to come out. :lol

It will come. He, will come . . . :smokin

Leetonidas
02-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Question.

If Tiago pans out and turns into 10/8/1.5 player, do the Spurs suddenly have the best frountcourt in the NBA?

Duncan
Splitter
Blair
McDyess
Bonner

That's a pretty versatile set of bigs.

cutewizard
02-06-2011, 05:58 AM
thanks to you all guys

for your enthusiasm regarding this thread

warm regards

Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SA210
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
then I guess Tim Duncan has been pissing you off all year.

Yup

SA210
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM

:lol yes he was

SA210
02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

:lol Yea right, Manu is actually UNDERrated.

SA210
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM

My Lord, you are lost. How's Manu's wear and tear right now Rascal? :lol

SA210
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
i suspect the true, unspoken reason manu came off the bench was because the players who were supposed to be coming off the bench came off as quitters and babies who didn't give their best effort unless pop gave them starts. Hedo, finley, barry, mason, all those guys dogged it when they were coming off the bench. Then they were gifted starts and *bam* they somehow start producing and feeling good.

manu should have been starting every game since his rookie year, but there were players who purposely or not would end up sabotaging things.

this!

m33p0
02-07-2011, 08:11 AM

they were mostly sweeping hooks going either way. given his length and long stride, yup, pretty hard to stop.

mingus
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM

:lmao

Pierce and Iguadala are SF's. Are you serious? You really think that Jennings and Tyreke freakin' Evans are better that Manu? Holy shit, good luck having anyone take your posts seriously from now on.

duncan228
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Just quotes, hit the link for the whole piece.

Splitter slowly, surely earning trust as he learns NBA ropes (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/06/splitter-slowly-surely-earning-trust-as-he-learns-nba-ropes/)
Jeff McDonald

..."I’m feeling more like I used to be in Europe, more comfortable on the court,” said Splitter, the Spanish League’s 2010 Most Valuable Player. “I’m not so anxious as I was before.”

..."When you play two minutes, it’s really hard, especially for a guy like him,” Ginobili said. “He’s not a trash-minute player. He’s not going to play one-on-one and get a dunk. He needs good players around him.”

...Popovich admits he is surprised with how his big-man rotation has unfolded.

“This is just what happened, and every year is just a different situation, just like every game is different,” he said. “(Splitter) missed the whole darn training camp and that’s tough, especially for a guy who isn’t familiar with the NBA, isn’t familiar with any of the players and isn’t familiar with our system.

“It really put him behind, and we’re frantically trying to catch him up.”

..."When you play a few minutes and you make the first mistake, it’s hard to play with confidence,” Splitter said. “But as soon as you get more minutes, then you’re comfortable on the court, and your teammates are comfortable with you, and it’s easier.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/06/splitter-slowly-surely-earning-trust-as-he-learns-nba-ropes/

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
:lol Manu saying EXACTLY what people here have been saying for years, while Pop supporters scoffed..we've bee saying this about Splitter all year, too..how the fuck is he going to produce or get better when he's playing garbage minutes next to Elf Quinn and Larry Owens?..

cheguevara
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
"When you play two minutes, it’s really hard, especially for a guy like him,” Ginobili said. “He’s not a trash-minute player. He’s not going to play one-on-one and get a dunk. He needs good players around him.”

:tu :tu

Mugen
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
still holding out hope he can be a contributor this year. His defense has been improving and been very solid lately and hes getting a better feel for finishing around the basket.

hopefully the Franchise takes a little longer rehabbing his bone bruise, which took even Mr. Glass Bynum himself about 2-3 days to heal.

silverblk mystix
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
:lol Manu saying EXACTLY what people here have been saying for years, while Pop supporters scoffed..we've bee saying this about Splitter all year, too..how the fuck is he going to produce or get better when he's playing garbage minutes next to Elf Quinn and Larry Owens?..

+1

Give him minutes and he will eventually be a major contributor. He is a winner and a player and he will be what he has always been-a pretty decent player who will play excellent defense and contribute to great team chemistry.

Give him DNP's and garbage minutes and of course he will appear to be a scrub.

BRs.Ganso
02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Manu said all.

mingus
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
if Bonner didn't get injured, i don't think we'd be seeing Splitter. Then we'd hear from Pop how the team isn't where it needs to be on defense. Bonner is a situational player. When the team needs offense, he should be put in; otherwise, McDyess/Blair/Splitter should be seeing most of the frontcourt minutes.

Rob123
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

you've clearly never played the game of basketball.

awktalk
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
if Bonner didn't get injured, i don't think we'd be seeing Splitter. Then we'd hear from Pop how the team isn't where it needs to be on defense. Bonner is a situational player. When the team needs offense, he should be put in; otherwise, McDyess/Blair/Splitter should be seeing most of the frontcourt minutes.

You really should write Pop a letter about this and give him more of your insight as to how you think he should do his job. After all, we've lost 8 games this season including 2 on our home court. Also, ask your mom for a blue or black ink pen, most NBA coaches won't read the entire letter if you use your crayons.

rmt
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
You really should write Pop a letter about this and give him more of your insight as to how you think he should do his job. After all, we've lost 8 games this season including 2 on our home court. Also, ask your mom for a blue or black ink pen, most NBA coaches won't read the entire letter if you use your crayons.

The elite teams all have long, tall front lines. That is what the Spurs need to compare themselves to - not the 4-8th team in the East or the sub .500 teams. Splitter is young, long and mobile. There's no other big like him on the Spurs. Why have him sitting on the bench collecting DNPCDs when he could possibly help in the playoffs? It would be nice to have another option in the playoffs when we look like the Phoenix Suns of old while Bynum/Gasol/Shaq/Dwight/KG/etc. shoot right over the top of Blair/Bonner/Dice.