PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire finds defense

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Stoudemire finds defense
Web Posted: 05/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053105.3S.BKNsuns.stoudemire.2c84c6692.html

For three years, Joe Johnson and the rest of the Phoenix Suns had watched Amare Stoudemire blind onlookers with his quickness, defy gravity with his leaping ability and rattle rim after rim with his ferocious slam-dunks.

Defense was another story. But even though Stoudemire rarely provided his teammates a glimpse of his aptitude at that end of the floor, they always suspected it was there.

"We knew he had it in him," Johnson said. "You look at everything he does on the offensive end. Why can't he make a big play on defense?"

On Monday in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, Stoudemire finally showed the Suns — and more importantly, Tim Duncan and the Spurs — what they had been missing.

In the span of just over a minute at the end of the Suns' 111-106 victory at the SBC Center, Stoudemire stole the ball from Duncan. Rejected a Duncan dunk attempt. Then, addressing another perceived hole in his game, he soared for a huge rebound to put the game away and prevent what would have been a four-game sweep.

"It was an unbelievable two minutes for him," Phoenix guard Steve Nash said of an outburst that also included six points for Stoudemire. "Even as teammates, we just were in awe. He was all over the place."

Stoudemire finished with 31 points, five rebounds and only the one blocked shot. But that block came at a pivotal moment.

With the Spurs trailing by three and less than 40 seconds remaining, Duncan took the ball on the left block and spun toward the rim. With his arm already coming down for what looked like would be a one-handed dunk, Stoudemire got a hand on the ball and swatted it away.

The Spurs argued it should have been called goaltending. Stoudemire said it should have been expected.

"Those are plays that needed to happen down the stretch," Stoudemire said. "We needed some stops and I stepped up."

His team knew it was more than that. Nash called the block "incredible." Johnson said, "It got everybody excited." Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said it was "just extra force, extra gear."

And from the Suns' perspective, it was especially encouraging because it wasn't the only time Stoudemire showed some grit.

"Beyond the spectacular plays he made, it was the loose balls and the rebounds," Nash said. "He was all over the place from one corner to the other and (showed) just an incredible toughness mentally and physically. I think he really raised his game a level."

Stoudemire, who is averaging 35.7 points per game against the Spurs in the conference finals, played Monday's game with a hyperextended right elbow he suffered in the third quarter of Game 3.

But that didn't stop him from taking what he hopes is a step toward a long career as a multidimensional force.

"As my years progress," Stoudemire said, "I'm pretty sure I can become a better defensive player."

After Monday, he no longer has to convince the Spurs.

Duncanoypi
05-31-2005, 12:30 AM
so Stoudemire will be a candidate for DPoY?...

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-31-2005, 12:34 AM
he soared for a huge rebound to put the game away and prevent what would have been a four-game sweep.

Come on Mike, call it what it should have been - over the back.

HB22inSA
05-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I thought the block was great, but the rebound was an over-the-back in my opinion.

Tom_Foolery
05-31-2005, 01:41 AM
One thing that I don't like about Timmy is that he doesn't take matchups personally, thus lacks fire at times in games when we need him to be a fiery guy.

I've only seen it a couple times where Timmy took things personal, the last time was vs Pistons when he just threw down a dunk in Ben Wallace's face and stared him down.

That's what Timmy needs to do. He's going up too soft. Timmy didn't throw that down with as much power as he is capable. If he did, Amare would've came away with a couple of sprained/broken fingers.

Timmy needs to play with more fire and force.

That's the reason why the league calls him boring. To a point, I agree.

I think with Timmy's talent if he took things more personal, he'd be dominating like nothing and no question we'd be talking about who we are playing next in the Finals.