PDA

View Full Version : LOVE gets All Star nod from Stern

YODA
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
per NBA.com, LOVE has replaced yao as an all star. I really hoped Tony would get it, but cant really argue LOVE.
This being said, Who does Pop put in as the Starting Center? He could pick Paul, but woundnt it be nice to have Timmy as a starter?

stnick2261
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
not sure I would have liked the idea of Tony playing Center.... not sure he would do too well =/

YODA
02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
not sure I would have liked the idea of Tony playing Center.... not sure he would do too well =/

Come on, Stern replaces the player, The coach replaces the starter.

MmP
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Love getting some love from NBA...

stnick2261
02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Come on, Stern replaces the player, The coach replaces the starter.

I was just kidding.... although it would still be suspect for Stern to choose a PG to replace a C on the roster

CubanMustGo
02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Love deserved the spot, even if is playing for a shitty team. Pop can start him and everyone will be happy.

Lady M
02-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Pop will play Griffin and love 40 min and east will explode west

Cane
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Time for Coach Pop to restart the Kevin Love trade rumors...

And while Love is making some history.....his individual stats imo are very misleading. He's still on the court padding his stats during garbage time when the game is already decided for example. Not to mention he's pretty bad defensively.

I'd rather Stern reward a team and a player for their winning efforts than give a spot to the worst team in the conference.

YODA
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM

And while Love is making some history.....his individual stats imo are very misleading. He's still on the court padding his stats during garbage time when the game is already decided for example. Not to mention he's pretty bad defensively.

I'd rather Stern reward a team and a player for their winning efforts than give a spot to the worst team in the conference.

If that were the case, then Alvin Robinson Would not have been a ALL STAR.
Im pretty sure he deserved his.

Chieflion
02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge and Steve Nash wants to argue their case.

mathbzh
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I think LaMarcus deserved it more, but good for him.

xmas1997
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge and Steve Nash wants to argue their case.

So does Lamar Odom.

TheSpurglar
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Congrats to the future Spur, amirite? :toast

Lady M
02-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Spurs will win 48th win this year before Love win his 48th win in his life

FkLA
02-05-2011, 03:22 PM

+1

Not to mention that offensively the Wolves dont even run their offense through him, Darko has a much better post game than Love for example...aside from offensive rebound putbacks Love just gets his points off pick and pops or from 3 pointers. He really only excels at one thing and thats rebounding, its almost funny how overrated this kid is bc people simply look at his stats. Its like when Marion was putting up 20-10 on a Suns team, except that team was actually pretty good. Yet people have the audacity to compare him to a once in a generation player like Griffin. :lol

Rummpd
02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I like the selection - a new face and the guy is putting up historic type numbers and even though some are in garbage time he is always working hard.

Also would love him on the Spurs someday if we did not give up too much!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM
love for parker straight up

Pauleta14
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
So does Lamar Odom.

You would pick Odom over Parker?

The Lakers already have 2 players and a worst record...

I love Odom, but he lacks consistency in productions IMO

UnWantedTheory
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
+1

Not to mention that offensively the Wolves dont even run their offense through him, Darko has a much better post game than Love for example...aside from offensive rebound putbacks Love just gets his points off pick and pops or from 3 pointers. He really only excels at one thing and thats rebounding, its almost funny how overrated this kid is bc people simply look at his stats. Its like when Marion was putting up 20-10 on a Suns team, except that team was actually pretty good. Yet people have the audacity to compare him to a once in a generation player like Griffin. :lol
All opinion until it's fact. We shall see in a few years.

Stringer_Bell
02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Congrats to the future Spur, amirite? :toast

True. He wants to be a Spur, part of the organization and legacy. I hope we find a way to bring him on board when his contract is up, would be fantastic.

TD 21
02-05-2011, 08:24 PM
If you go by how the standards for this have always been (winning matters, playing at an All-Star level for more than one season), Love has no business being an All-Star and neither does Griffin. Although Griffin has a better case than Love, because at least his team is trending up, so it can be rationalized that he's influenced winning. But not to the extent that he warrants an All-Star selection.

But let's get real here. The real reason both made it isn't because they're posting gaudy numbers, it's because one is widely considered the most exciting player in the game, the other is a white American, they both have ties to where the game is being played and the league see's this as an opportunity to market them on as big a stage as they'll be on for the foreseeable future.

Granted, their numbers are better than the usual good stats/bad team guys, but there's been so many examples over the years of guys not making it because they were on losing teams; we've seen top five scorers not make it, 20/10 guys, you name it. No one ever argued their plight so vociferously because it was accepted that, unless you were a perennial All-Star to begin with (and even then you weren't guaranteed), you weren't an All-Star on a losing team and especially not on a bottom feeder.

The reality is, Parker should have made it over Griffin and Aldridge should have made it over Love. Randolph and Nash should be the first two candidates to replace an injured player.

Funny how, when it was a Spur involved and two guys they desperately want to market, then previous standards no longer applied.

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
If you go by how the standards for this have always been (winning matters, playing at an All-Star level for more than one season), Love has no business being an All-Star and neither does Griffin. Although Griffin has a better case than Love, because at least his team is trending up, so it can be rationalized that he's influenced winning. But not to the extent that he warrants an All-Star selection.

But let's get real here. The real reason both made it isn't because they're posting gaudy numbers, it's because one is widely considered the most exciting player in the game, the other is a white American, they both have ties to where the game is being played and the league see's this as an opportunity to market them on as big a stage as they'll be on for the foreseeable future.

Granted, their numbers are better than the usual good stats/bad team guys, but there's been so many examples over the years of guys not making it because they were on losing teams; we've seen top five scorers not make it, 20/10 guys, you name it. No one ever argued their plight so vociferously because it was accepted that, unless you were a perennial All-Star to begin with (and even then you weren't guaranteed), you weren't an All-Star on a losing team and especially not on a bottom feeder.

The reality is, Parker should have made it over Griffin and Aldridge should have made it over Love. Randolph and Nash should be the first two candidates to replace an injured player.

Funny how, when it was a Spur involved and two guys they desperately want to market, then previous standards no longer applied.

Yep. Love's UCLA and Beach Boy ties helped his case. Randolph and Aldridge were both more deserving.

spurs10
02-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Hope TP decides to spend the rest of the season getting revenge.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Love isn't a bad selection, but LaMarcus Aldridge has a right to be pretty pissed about this. He's carried a winning team all year.

TD 21
02-05-2011, 10:15 PM
You're right, Love's not a bad selection, he's a terrible one. Flies in the face of how the standards have always been, as I detailed. Aldridge didn't make it because he's not a big enough name and the league doesn't see marketing potential with him like they do Griffin and Love.

For the record, I not only have nothing against Griffin and Love, I like both of their games. But nobody cared two seasons ago when Jefferson was throwing up 23/11 for the very same Timberwolves. That's just one of many examples of a guy with good stats not making it on a bad team. But now it would have been "a travesty" had the leading good stats/bad team guys missed.