PDA

View Full Version : Parker struggles with range, ball

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Parker struggles with range, ball
Web Posted: 05/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053105.3S.BKNspurs.parker.2c84c6536.html

The looks — all of them — were good. He said as much afterward.

But it's not the looks that count. It's what a shooter does with them, and Spurs guard Tony Parker just couldn't take advantage Monday night.

"I just missed," Parker said after connecting on only 5 of 17 shots from the field in the Suns' 111-106 victory over the Spurs in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

"It happens sometimes," said Parker, who finished with 13 points after averaging 23.7 through the first three games of the series. "I'm just going to come back strong. I'm not going to worry about that."

All but one of Parker's field goals came on drives and only one came after halftime. He missed 11 of 12 jumpers, including five in the third quarter when the Suns outscored the Spurs 35-21 to take an 87-80 lead into the fourth period.

Parker's only field goal from outside came on a 20-footer in the second period. He missed his final eight jumpers as the Suns double-teamed Tim Duncan and challenged the Spurs' perimeter players to hit from outside.

"(The Suns) were going under on the pick-and-roll and I had wide-open shots," Parker said. "I just didn't make them. It was just a tough night for my outside shot."

Duncan scored 15 points after tallying 33 in Game 3.

"They were more maybe aggressive and they came at Timmy real quick," Parker said. "They doubled him every time he touched the ball and on the pick-and-rolls they were going way under. We just have to make shots."

Parker's struggles weren't limited to his shooting. He also committed a game-high six turnovers and dished out only five assists in 35 minutes.

His counterpart on the Suns, Steve Nash, handed out 12 assists and had only two turnovers in 42 minutes. Nash finished with 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field.

Parker and the Spurs struggled to stop the league's most valuable player in transition, a big reason why the Suns hit 9 of 18 3-point attempts.

"It hurt us," Parker said. "We weren't focused enough on transitions and they hit a lot of threes. Usually, we are pretty good at not letting them do that.

"They are always pushing hard. Maybe our focus wasn't there and wasn't good enough tonight."

Even with all of their defensive problems, the Spurs were in position to win at the end after Bruce Bowen sank his third and final 3-point shot of the night to cut the Suns' lead to 107-106 with 63 seconds left.

But Suns center Amare Stoudemire followed Bowen's shot with a layin after banging into Parker in the lane.

"I thought he put his forearm on me," Parker said. "But that's basketball. It's tough. It's like that sometimes."

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-31-2005, 12:38 AM
He missed 11 of 12 jumpers, including five in the third quarter when the Suns outscored the Spurs 35-21 to take an 87-80 lead into the fourth period.

Parker's only field goal from outside came on a 20-footer in the second period. He missed his final eight jumpers

Tom Osborn's got hate mail on the way from 1Parker1.

timvp
05-31-2005, 12:41 AM
At least Parker accepts the loss and that he play poorly. Better than him trying to blame the refs or whatever.

slayermin
05-31-2005, 04:31 AM
I can kind of live with his poor shooting but those 6 turnovers were killers.

Also, that miraculous pass that Nash made should have been a steal. I cannot believe he didn't at least tip that ball.

Man, the sphincters were tight tonight.

HB22inSA
05-31-2005, 04:54 AM
Yup, Tony just straight up sucked tonight.

But I bet you 100 bucks he doesn't miss that many given the same shots in game 5.

3rdCoast
05-31-2005, 04:55 AM
Man, the sphincters were tight tonight.
:lol

polandprzem
05-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Well if he won't hit those jumpers we are lost. Larry O'Brian goes to the East

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-31-2005, 05:22 AM
Fact of the matter is Duncan and Parker played like garbage, and we still coulda won the game, I wouldn't count on Duncan and Parker having 2 bad games in a row.

SPURS IN 5

JUUOT
05-31-2005, 06:53 AM
Parker and duncan feed one another. It is getting better this year but most of the time before a tired duncan meant a not efficient tony. most of this i believe is due to problem on tony's outside shot. he progressed a lot on defense and overall decision making this year and he uses his speed better. however he needs in the next two season to polish his outside shot.

he is a top 5 or 6 point guard in the game but without the outside threat he will never be top 2. but we all know how tony will keep improving right...

Warlord23
05-31-2005, 06:54 AM
It's amazing how much impact TP's game has on the Spurs ...

In games where he's penetrating at will and hitting a few jumpers, the defense doesn't have a plan to go to ... and invariably Tim or Manu or both play well too

But in games like this where he doesn't penetrate, and seems tentative with the jumpshot, all the opposition has to do is dare him to beat them by shooting jumpers. In the 3rd, they fronted Duncan on almost every play .. and sagged on the pnr ... TP didn't seem like he wanted to shoot today, but did so anyway. With Beno's shooting in the playoffs also nothing much to write home about, this spells danger for the Spurs unless our PGs start making some shots.

And lastly, no way should Parker guard JJ to let Bowen can shadow Nash .. TP can't stop JJ at all ... I thought they were doing a good job trapping the Suns' pick-n-roll in the last few games ... today they switched way too much, leaving Parker on a bigger player who had no trouble scoring.

boutons
05-31-2005, 07:09 AM
"It's amazing how much impact TP's game has on the Spurs ..."

Yep, been like for three years. As Tony goes, so go the Spurs.
He's the difference maker.
Tim's pretty reliable producer over 48 minutes, even if he has bad qtrs and halves.
Same for Manu.
But when Tony sucks, no jumper, no penetration, bad FTs, TOs, the team loses.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-31-2005, 08:00 AM
With all due respect, anytime a guy on your team goes 5-17 with 6 turnovers, it's gonna have an impact on your team.

Jimcs50
05-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Beno was pulled too soon.
Pop made a mistake there.

vanvannen
05-31-2005, 08:12 AM
The problem is not parker playing badly, but pop letting him play too much. In the overtime win in Phoenix, he was out the entire 4th and the OT. You can't let him shoot 5-17 'cause he is taking away shots from other players. Pop should have gone with Manu and Barry to make them pay from the outside. This is how it goes. This is the finals. If you play poorly, then you should be out. Parker's bad play killed us tonight.

1Parker1
05-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Tom Osborn's got hate mail on the way from 1Parker1.

:flipoff The only person who's going to receive hate mail from 1Parker1 is AHF.

ducks
05-31-2005, 08:42 AM
humm not to long ago duncaN had a worse shooting night then TP

ducks
05-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Should Pop Bench Duncan Last Night To?
He Was None Effective Could Not Shot A Free Throw And It Showed In Th Eo End?

leemajors
05-31-2005, 09:40 AM
even if duncan is not shooting well you have to have him in there, they still have to defend/double him. if nothing else he had 16 boards.

CaptainLate
05-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Parker struggles with range, ball
Web Posted: 05/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

"I just missed," Parker said after connecting on only 5 of 17 shots from the field in the Suns' 111-106 victory over the Spurs in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

"It happens sometimes," said Parker, who finished with 13 points after averaging 23.7 through the first three games of the series. "I'm just going to come back strong. I'm not going to worry about that."

LMAO. This sounds like what he said after Game 3 v. Lakers last year. People keep telling us "He's only 23." BS. You've been a starting PG in the league 4 years now and thru 4 playoffs. Well, Tony, it's that time of year for you to fold. Let's see how "mature" you've gotten.

CaptainLate
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Well if he won't hit those jumpers we are lost. Larry O'Brian goes to the East

Tony still ain't Kevin Johnson. TP needs to spend ANOTHER offseason shooting 500+ jumpers/day because defenders will continue to go behind screens and back off to prevent his penetration. If Tony can't make them pay by hitting open jumpers and 3 pointers, he's just another AJ. If AJ could have hit jumpers, we probably win more that just one championship with him at PG).

As I said, if Tony continues to play poorly and we lose this series, you can get ready to read about trade talks. I'll take a young stud at SF and give Beno the PT at PG.

TMSKILZ
05-31-2005, 10:53 AM
TP needs to bring his shooting touch for game4 b/c the Suns going to use the same stradegy of clogging the lane to prevent penetrations & use zone Def & force the Spurs to make shots from outside.

DDS4
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
TP needs to bring his shooting touch for game4 b/c the Suns going to use the same stradegy of clogging the lane to prevent penetrations & use zone Def & force the Spurs to make shots from outside.

I'm sure Pop will run S/R's with Manu and Tim instead if Tony's outside shot is not working.

Since the Suns won with this strategy, Pop has to expect them to clog the lane again.

Rick Von Braun
05-31-2005, 11:42 AM
TP needs to bring his shooting touch for game4 b/c the Suns going to use the same stradegy of clogging the lane to prevent penetrations & use zone Def & force the Spurs to make shots from outside. No!

He is not going to find a jumpshot in the next 48 hrs. He has to work on it during the Summer. TP has to read the defense and stop forcing the action when his penetration is not there. If he wants to take long-range jumpers or 3 pointers, he has to test the waters. If his shot is not falling he must stop! He can pass the ball, he is a PG after all. He can penetrate and kick it outside to Barry and Horry. I would rather take a high percentage shot than force a turnover. He is taking 16.6 FGA/g. This is pretty high already.

TP has great games when he is allowed to penetrate and finish at the rim. He is VERY good at it! The problem is when he is not penetrating, he keeps shooting at the same rate (in this case long-range jumpers), he seldom ever adapts. Avoiding taking some bad shots or forcing some turnovers, would help the Spurs tremendously by giving some other Spurs' teammates opportunities for higher percetange shots.

The key part in his maduration process is to read the defense to check when he has a chance to penetrate. Tony has to learn that it is perfectly OK to finish the game with less than 10 FGA if his shots are not there. I would rather take a 3-10 FGM-A line than a 5-17.

hendrix
05-31-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm sure Pop will run S/R's with Manu and Tim instead if Tony's outside shot is not working.

Since the Suns won with this strategy, Pop has to expect them to clog the lane again.

Barry to start!! (You know where)

E20
05-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Remeber when Manu took that 3 and Pop yelled at him for taking a jumpshot fresh off the bench? Then told him to drive it in? Well, if I was Tony and after the first 3 or 4 shots I missed I would have drove it in more.

boutons
05-31-2005, 11:57 AM
"He has to work on it during the Summer."

Last May, when he couldn't hit shit vs Lakers, he said he was going to work his shot in summer 04. If he worked, it didn't make a bit of difference to his jumper or his FTs.

He's got bad, ugly shot mechanics and he's below average shooter. He needs to tear down his mechanics, and build his shots back up with correct mechanics, about which there is no secret, and plenty of examples.

E20
05-31-2005, 11:59 AM
It's the way he holds the ball he sort of cuffs it instead of having it on his figers and his palm.

hendrix
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
"He has to work on it during the Summer."

Last May, when he couldn't hit shit vs Lakers, he said he was going to work his shot in summer 04. If he worked, it didn't make a bit of difference to his jumper or his FTs.

He's got bad, ugly shot mechanics and he's below average shooter. He needs to tear down his mechanics, and build his shots back up with correct mechanics, about which there is no secret, and plenty of examples.

Honestly, I'm not sure a player at his age (23 already) can change his jump shot. Those things must be taught earlier. He can do a lot to improve his 3pt % but he can't change his mechanics.

boutons
05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
"he can't change his mechanics"

BS. he's not a robot on fixed program, and fixed mechanics.

bigzak25
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
tony and the other guys just need to d up better...phoenix played with more intensity and it showed. i will not use last nights game to jump off of tp's bandwagon...i feel as do alot of people, that he's turned a corner this year and he will be one of the main reasons the Spurs win the whole damn thing.

So keep yo head up Tony and be ready to bounce back. :smokin

hendrix
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
"he can't change his mechanics"

BS. he's not a robot on fixed program, and fixed mechanics.

We're not robots but the lower part of the brain which controls our "mechanics" is more difficult to "re-program". Whether you like it or not, we are kind of programmed since we were born and learn (or "program" ourselves) through the rest of our life.
Anyways, I didnt mean he CAN'T change his mechanics, i meant I wasnt sure if that was possible at his age and specially since a Pro player cannot take a year off to "re-program" his movements.

baseline bum
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Parker owned the first 3 games of this series, so people gotta get the fuck off his ass with calling him a playoff choker.

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Parker is not a choker he is just inconsistent. One game he goes for 30 the next game can't shoot.

SirChaz
05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Parker owned the first 3 games of this series, so people gotta get the fuck off his ass with calling him a playoff choker.

If the Suns are not allowing easy layups he will have trouble scoring consistantly. I think 6-8 of his 13 last night were layups.

No layups in the second half though.

ducks
05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
boutons he had a different form but nwo he is back to it
he gave up earlier in the season when he could not buy a bucket