PDA

View Full Version : Knicks and Nuggets talk three team trade

Hoops Czar
02-06-2011, 12:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6094827

The Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den) and the New York Knicks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk) are discussing a three-team trade that would make forward Carmelo Anthony (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1975) a Knick before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, according to league sources.
In the proposed trade, New York would send Anthony Randolph (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3455) and Eddy Curry (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=990) to Minnesota and the Timberwolves would send Corey Brewer (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3191) and a first-round pick to Denver. Denver would also receive Wilson Chandler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3194) from New York.
The deal is not expected to happen until the middle of next week at the earliest, and one source said it could drag out until the trade deadline. Denver, which has been exchanging proposals with the Knicks for the past couple weeks, is weighing other options.
With teams aware of Anthony's desire to play in New York, the Nuggets' choices are limited. With little chance of signing Anthony long-term, few clubs are willing to send valuable assets to Denver.
If the trade with New York and Minnesota goes through, Anthony would be in line to receive a three-year, $65 million contract extension as part of the agreement in what is known as an extend-and-trade.
Since Anthony's preference to play for New York is known, there is some sentiment within the Knicks organization to hold off on trading for him and wait until he becomes a free agent this summer. Such a move would enable them to keep their young assets.
But owner James Dolan has been pressing team president Donnie Walsh to trade for Anthony before the deadline, according to sources.
"Dolan is really pressuring Walsh to get Melo, but Denver has been vacillating back and forth," one of the sources said.
A trade to New York would end the season-long saga that began last summer when Anthony refused to sign the contract extension with the Nuggets.
Late in the preseason, reports of a potential four-team deal with New Jersey, Utah and Charlotte that would make Anthony a Net surfaced.
But league sources say the deal was overblown and New Jersey was actually leaking the story in an effort to pressure Denver's new front office regime of Josh Kroenke and Masai Ujiri into making a deal.
Last month, reports of another potential trade of Anthony to New Jersey surfaced, this time involving the Detroit Pistons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=det). That deal was close to being agreed upon, but Anthony was reluctant to sign the three-year, $65 million extension with New Jersey.
Anthony agreed to meet with the Nets but owner Mikhail Prokhorov called off his club's pursuit of Anthony in a news conference a day before the scheduled sit-down was to take place.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.
Follow Chris Broussard on Twitter: @chris_broussard (http://twitter.com/chris_broussard)

TE
02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
It's gonna get done.

baseline bum
02-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Brewer sucks, but him and a very high lottery pick for Anthony Randolph? WTF is Minnesota thinking if this is the case? I know, there will be some protection on the pick, but how much could there possibly be? Their team is Kevin Love and a lot of crap plus Rubio is just going to wait it out until their rights on him expire. Hence, that's going to keep being a lotto pick that will eventually not have any protection on it. I guess there's a reason that team has only won a playoff series in 2004.

ElNono
02-06-2011, 12:45 AM
:sleep

Wake me up when some shit actually gets done. The Knicks should just wait this thing out, since they can just get Melo in the offseason. Denver is the only one that should be getting desperate.

jjktkk
02-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Brewer sucks, but him and a very high lottery pick for Anthony Randolph? WTF is Minnesota thinking if this is the case? I know, there will be some protection on the pick, but how much could there possibly be? Their team is Kevin Love and a lot of crap plus Rubio is just going to wait it out until their rights on him expire. Hence, that's going to keep being a lotto pick that will eventually not have any protection on it. I guess there's a reason that team has only won a playoff series in 2004.

Timberwolves FO is totally inept. Wasting draft picks and now this possible trade. What exactly will they have to show for trading KG?

redzero
02-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm so tired of reading about this Melo drama all season.

Pelicans78
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM

Especially on Hornetsreport

jjktkk
02-06-2011, 12:52 AM

Knicks have been irrelavant for over a decade, imagine all the hype once Melo's a Knick.

TD 21
02-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I know the Nuggets are desperate at this point to get whatever they can get from the Knicks, but taking on Brewer makes no sense. Brewer would be redundant with Chandler and Afflalo. How many two-way, non shot creators on the wing do the Nuggets need?

They should cut the middle man out and take Randolph and Curry's expiring contract, in addition to Chandler. They don't have a PF of the future. Randolph could be the guy, plus he's got a higher upside than Brewer.

ElNono
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Are we going to have a Decision II on ESPN this summer? :lol

crc21209
02-06-2011, 01:21 AM
I have a feeling this time it will get done. #1 because it's a trade to New York now, not to New Jersey. And #2...the Knicks owner is pushing Walsh to get a deal done before the deadline now....

jjktkk
02-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I know the Nuggets are desperate at this point to get whatever they can get from the Knicks, but taking on Brewer makes no sense. Brewer would be redundant with Chandler and Afflalo. How many two-way, non shot creators on the wing do the Nuggets need?

They should cut the middle man out and take Randolph and Curry's expiring contract, in addition to Chandler. They don't have a PF of the future. Randolph could be the guy, plus he's got a higher upside than Brewer.

I'm sure the Nuggets will package Brewer, or Chandler with 1 or 2 of their vets and clean house this Summer, provided this trade happens.

Thompson
02-06-2011, 01:39 AM
If it does happen, do you suppose Denver will want to keep Chandler, or could we pry him away somehow? What would it take to get him (maybe this year's 1st + $500,000 -is he worth the 2013 pick also?) and Quinn, sign a d-leaguer and a trade exception if necessary.

If we don't try, you also have to worry about the Lakers or Mavs trying.

DJ Mbenga
02-06-2011, 01:53 AM
If it does happen, do you suppose Denver will want to keep Chandler, or could we pry him away somehow? What would it take to get him (maybe this year's 1st + $500,000 -is he worth the 2013 pick also?) and Quinn, sign a d-leaguer and a trade exception if necessary.

If we don't try, you also have to worry about the Lakers or Mavs trying.

they could probably flip him to dallas easily.

baseline bum
02-06-2011, 02:22 AM
:sleep

Wake me up when some shit actually gets done. The Knicks should just wait this thing out, since they can just get Melo in the offseason. Denver is the only one that should be getting desperate.

I'm not sure about that. Do you think Carmelo would really leave all that money on the table when the players are almost certain to have a much worse labor agreement when he could sign as a free agent? He could be looking at 60-70% of the money he'd get from Denver by not getting the trade. I can seriously see salaries being capped at $12-$15 million a year by the lockout.

sefant77
02-06-2011, 02:31 AM
This time it will go through. Denver knows he is gone and with that they can get at least Chandler or Gali.

Makes even more sense because with such a trade they just have Amare and Anthony guaranteed for the summer of 2012 - hello Paul or Deron. They can pull a Miami Heat then. Keeping Chandler and give him a new contract kills this option.

jestersmash
02-06-2011, 02:43 AM
You have to admit the mind games are entertaining.

Red Hawk #21
02-06-2011, 03:00 AM
All season long with this shit...

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2011, 03:03 AM
makes no sense for the wolves though, didnt LOVE want out of minne or his playin mind games to get a max contract

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Makas no sense for Minny and Denver, total bullshit.

Xevious
02-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Does Minny ever do anything that makes sense? That franchise is worthless.

baseline bum
02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Why would they rather have an underachiever like Randolph over a lotto pick from the Wolves?

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
He's going to New York either in the offseason or via trade.
Might as well get something from New York

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2011, 05:45 PM
if ur the nuggets get the knicks young players like chandler and fields, and picks

i think nene could also b eon the move with the way the nuggets are handling him also

Killakobe81
02-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I still say Nuggs should take Gallo in a deal even if they dont want him long-term.His contract is NOT horrible. you can flip him later plus he can play. if they get Chandler And Gallo you have an expiring plus a player who could give you SOME of what you lose offensively with Melo leaving.

rayjayjohnson
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Meh.

Melo for boozer, straight swap. Do it, front office.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Meh.

Melo for boozer, straight swap. Do it, front office.

Chicago would laugh and hang up.

frodo
02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
den niggas ain't sellin WC cheap imo. Anthony Randolph & WC will fill in melo's role as da franchise playas. NY would have no bench after trading away AR and WC imho, hard to say if its good deal for dem or not.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-07-2011, 03:24 AM
meh keep Melo and at least watch him lose money

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't see what is it in this proposed trade for the Nuggets that they would not be able to get in a sign and trade in the next offseason, whenever it is. Of course Melo is not going into the lock-out without a contract if he has an ounce of brain in his head.

Chieflion
02-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Obviously the pick being discussed is not the Wolves lottery pick. It is the Jazz pick they acquired from the Al Jefferson deal.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I don't see what is it in this proposed trade for the Nuggets that they would not be able to get in a sign and trade in the next offseason, whenever it is.

About 15M in immediate salary and luxury tax savings.

The trade would also move their total team salary to within 2M of the luxury tax threshold. One more transaction gets them under the tax, saving another 2M and putting them in line to receive to receive the luxury tax distribution (3M or so) after the season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
About 15M in immediate salary and luxury tax savings.

The trade would also move their total team salary to within 2M of the luxury tax threshold. One more transaction gets them under the tax, saving another 2M and putting them in line to receive to receive the luxury tax distribution (3M or so) after the season.

True, money owed for this season, obviously, I meant more as in actual basketball assets.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 08:07 AM
True, money owed for this season, obviously, I meant more as in actual basketball assets.

I think that Denver's coming to terms with the simple fact that they're not going to get much in the way of actual basketball assets for Melo. New York knows that Melo is coming their way eventually and everyone else is just getting a rental.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Mel_13, what if Denver are poised to play hardball and wouldn't trade Melo for that package from NY, do you think he'd go into the looming lock-out without a contract and without pay? I don't think he would, I think he'd be the first one to blink if Denver are strong enough in their stance.

Maybe I'm a bit biased towards Denver because I don't like it when players hold their teams and fans to ransom but apart from eventually being able to save some money this season, I don't see much in this for Denver,whereas Melo has a lot to lose in terms of uncertainty being without a contract and then signing one under the new rules, post lock-out. I'd side with Denver and if I were them I'd play hardball, if they can afford it financially, of course, which I believe they could since they've been paying the tax for a while now.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Mel_13, what if Denver are poised to play hardball and wouldn't trade Melo for that package from NY, do you think he'd go into the looming lock-out without a contract and without pay? I don't think he would, I think he'd be the first one to blink if Denver are strong enough in their stance.

Maybe I'm a bit biased towards Denver because I don't like it when players hold their teams and fans to ransom but apart from eventually being able to save some money this season, I don't see much in this for Denver,whereas Melo has a lot to lose in terms of uncertainty being without a contract and then signing one under the new rules, post lock-out. I'd side with Denver and if I were them I'd play hardball, if they can afford it financially, of course, which I believe they could since they've been paying the tax for a while now.

Melo is under contract for 18.5M for next season. He has an early termination option that allows him to become a free agent this summer, but he doesn't have to exercise it. If Denver played hardball, he could just play out his option and the Melodrama could extend all through next season and into the summer of 2012. A summer that could also see Howard, Paul, and Williams as free agents...

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Exactly, he won't risk declining his option, wait for the new CBA and sign with the Knicks, he'd simply take the $18.5 mil for next season and remain a Nugget, then the whole trade me drama would probably begin again next season :) I still think this is the better option for the Nuggets, basketball-wise than taking the low ball NY offer.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Exactly, he won't risk declining his option, wait for the new CBA and sign with the Knicks, he'd simply take the $18.5 mil for next season and remain a Nugget, then the whole trade me drama would probably begin again next season :) I still think this is the better option for the Nuggets, basketball-wise than taking the low ball NY offer.

The Melodrama continues...:)

I'm not sure I agree that having Melo next season on an expiring contract is better than just cutting their losses right now. It's next to impossible to build any sort of chemistry or cohesion while dealing with this BS on a daily basis. Either way, Denver is a non-factor in the Western Conference for the next few seasons and that's fine with me.

baseline bum
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Obviously the pick being discussed is not the Wolves lottery pick. It is the Jazz pick they acquired from the Al Jefferson deal.

Then the trade for Randolph makes sense, as this draft is pretty so-so and Brewer is trash. Denver might as well just see if Carmelo is bluffing for that kind of return. Either that, or beg New Jersey to come back to the table.