PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here fish?

Brutalis
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm in the market for a new rod & reel. The boss lady put my budget at $100-200 range.

I mainly lake fish, always looking for bass.

Any suggestions? Figured I would get opinions.

4>0rings
02-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Bait cast or spin cast? What type of lures will you be using for bass?

Brutalis
02-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Bait caster, easier to maintain and keep clean IMO.

swimbait, surface swimmers, spinners mostly.

Last summer was my first year bass fishing. Self taught so it's been a learning experience. Got a few rock bass but with 4-6ft swimmers.

Slydragon
02-06-2011, 02:48 AM
I love fishing, I must admit I'm no where near a pro. I'm pretty much tie a weight and hook add some bait and throw. Last week I spent 220 on just tackle and to tell you the truth a pro fishermen may look at my gear and say wtf!!!

I try to keep it simple as it relaxes me and if I get all technical then it will not be as much for for me because I'll be to piss I don't have the best rod/reel or my knot is tied all wrong. Ill take tips and tricks but I try not to ponder on them too much.

To me its,
Simple = fun/relaxing
technical = frustrating/piss/more money in the long run

When I get technical I'm not happy ever because I will always want the newest/best and be mad I don't have it.

I used to fish once a week for 2 years solid and now I'm lucky if I can go once a month.

I used Spincast reels as it's easy for me and my girls when I take them along. I bought a new propane lantern (like to fish @ night) and new fishing chair along with this new tackle and tackle box and a casting net, I hope I don't catch a snake in this net...scary thing at night when it happen to me.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4157/16790416913445768141633.jpg

You live in Texas? if so go here for a lot of help/fishing reports/info.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

rascal
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Use lots of plastics. Worms wacky rigged is a very easy way to fish, throw jigs in the spring with crawfish trailers, grubs on jigheads, creature baits on jigheads, swim frogs through the grass and lilly pads during the summer months, shakey head setups and even drop shot setups when the bite is tough. Do some reseach, lots of info out there and try different things and you will have your favorites.

rascal
02-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm in the market for a new rod & reel. The boss lady put my budget at $100-200 range.

I mainly lake fish, always looking for bass.

Any suggestions? Figured I would get opinions.

Get one baitcaster and one spinning rod. One of each will give you different options.

lil'mo
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
lures arent for catching fish! theyre for catching fishermen! :bling

lil'mo
02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154913&highlight=fishing+contest

yo should make te drive to new braunsfels~san marcos and fish the rivers there, kayak or canoe

Brutalis
02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Any suggestions on the rod and reel? Lol.

Slydragon
02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Any suggestions on the rod and reel? Lol.

Go to the site I posted...I believe they have a board just for reels and rods.

Slydragon
02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/16/1/Rods_Reels

Brutalis
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I checked em out.

PM5K
02-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I love fishing

Seriously? When is the fishing GTG?

CosmicCowboy
02-06-2011, 11:12 PM
You can get some excellent deals on e-bay for slightly used reels. I've bought a couple of Shimano Chronarchs for around $100 each that worked perfectly, just had a little normal use finish rash. The old green Curados are great reels too if you can find one...totally bulletproof. Kistler is doing some great deals on rods right now...they had some problems with their blank supplier for a couple of years (now resolved) and are really marketing/pricing aggressively right now...

CosmicCowboy
02-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Meh...I usually just fish tournaments at the coast now...

PM5K
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Is Bass Pro a total ripoff? I'm not big on shopping retail, but they certainly have a huge selection.

CosmicCowboy
02-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Is Bass Pro a total ripoff? I'm not big on shopping retail, but they certainly have a huge selection.

Their pricing is good on some stuff. House brand plastic baits for instance. Like I said, if I'm buying reels (and I have 8 or 10) I normally buy on e-bay. It either works or it doesn't. Why pay $300 for a Chronarch at Bass Pro when you can buy one that works just the same for $100 that isn't quite as shiny?

Brutalis
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Having issues finding them on ebay CC. Although I haven't used ebay in quite some time either.

I am a real n00b when it comes to rod & reels.

Brutalis
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NITB-QUANTUM-KINETIC-PTi-KT40PTi-A-SPINNING-REEL_W0QQitemZ110643297996QQcategoryZ36147QQcmdZVi ewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26i tu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D 6911360986597398081#ht_500wt_1156

wonder if you can change left to right on that reel? i know lots of spin casts have the ability to switch sides.. not sure on this

Slydragon
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM

No shit, I been trying to go to browning/calaveras lake for the past 2 months but something always comes up.

btw I fish off the bank.

Brutalis
02-07-2011, 02:04 AM
I think I'm going with the Quantum Energy E40PTi-A spin cast reel. I can get it for $114.99, but it looks left handed so I need to make the reel will change to either side. Even though I am left handed I use my right hand to reel in and my left to hold the rod.

CosmicCowboy
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I think I'm going with the Quantum Energy E40PTi-A spin cast reel. I can get it for $114.99, but it looks left handed so I need to make the reel will change to either side. Even though I am left handed I use my right hand to reel in and my left to hold the rod.

I've never seen a spinning reel that wasn't reversible.

CosmicCowboy
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
This is my saltwater reel for wade fishing at the coast. It's been dunked dozens of times and still going strong.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-team-daiwa-sol-spinning-reel.html

Brutalis
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Nice CC.

I am torn right now.

Read all over the nets than when you take apart a Quantum spinning reel they have more plastic pieces than the rivals do in the same price range. THAT is shitty if true.

I am torn right now between the one posted above, and the Shimano Stradic ST 3000FI, and the Pflueger SUPREME XT 9235.

My concern is size. I don't want to get a reel that's too big. 8 or 10lb.

PM5K
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
btw I fish off the bank.

It's better than sitting at home with the wife right? lol.

Slydragon
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
It's better than sitting at home with the wife right? lol.

Sometime.....especially during that time of the month.

markfly98
02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Get the Stradic. There are three different sizes. I am not sure of the model number, but get the smallest of the three. If you are fishing Texas Rivers, that small model is perfect. I have caught many 5-8 pound bass with that little reel. If you are going to head to the coast, it will also work on small to medium redfish on the flats.
As far as rods...There are a lot out there. Find one that you like. I normally use light to medium light GLoomis Rods. They are expensive, but are really nice. Also, there is a fly rod company called Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) and Gary Loomis is designing conventional rods for them. You can most likely pick one up for about $100 and it will have an unconditional lifetime guarantee...break it and send it in and they will fix or replace it for like $40. You can check them out online. If you have any other questions...just let me know.
Marcus
www.guidesoftexas.com (http://www.guidesoftexas.com)

Brutalis
02-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Get the Stradic. There are three different sizes. I am not sure of the model number, but get the smallest of the three. If you are fishing Texas Rivers, that small model is perfect. I have caught many 5-8 pound bass with that little reel. If you are going to head to the coast, it will also work on small to medium redfish on the flats.
As far as rods...There are a lot out there. Find one that you like. I normally use light to medium light GLoomis Rods. They are expensive, but are really nice. Also, there is a fly rod company called Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) and Gary Loomis is designing conventional rods for them. You can most likely pick one up for about $100 and it will have an unconditional lifetime guarantee...break it and send it in and they will fix or replace it for like $40. You can check them out online. If you have any other questions...just let me know.
Marcus
www.guidesoftexas.com (http://www.guidesoftexas.com)

I lake fish in Arkansas, where I live.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Stradic_FI.html#ui-tabs-1

There's the Stradic models. 2500FI stands out to me, the only smaller one they makes seems way too small perhaps.

Being a somewhat newer fisherman, what makes the decision for most people on what size reel they get? Obviously it depends on what you are fishing for. I only aiming for small and large mouth bass. I got one rock bass last summer, and a bunch of blue gills.

CosmicCowboy
02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I lake fish in Arkansas, where I live.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Stradic_FI.html#ui-tabs-1

There's the Stradic models. 2500FI stands out to me, the only smaller one they makes seems way too small perhaps.

Being a somewhat newer fisherman, what makes the decision for most people on what size reel they get? Obviously it depends on what you are fishing for. I only aiming for small and large mouth bass. I got one rock bass last summer, and a bunch of blue gills.

For me, I like a smaller lighter, but "quality" reel I can depend on...same with rods...I'll take a reel designed for 10# test mono and load it with 20# braid for horsing big fish at the coast...I also want a light but quality medium/fast rod with some backbone...when I am fishing I work at it...when we are fishing tournaments we will start as the sun comes and grind right till it's time to run to the weigh-in...plus if you are chest deep in water and have to hold the rod in your teeth while you handle a big fish it's nice if it's as light as possible...

Sportcamper
02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
My 2 cents…

A 200 dollar budget is tight…But there is some pretty nice made in China gear out there that is a fraction of the cost of fishing gear from the 1970’s….Wall mart has nice inexpensive stuff and knowledgeable sporting good personnel…

Brutalis
02-10-2011, 01:43 AM
For me, I like a smaller lighter, but "quality" reel I can depend on...same with rods...I'll take a reel designed for 10# test mono and load it with 20# braid for horsing big fish at the coast...I also want a light but quality medium/fast rod with some backbone...when I am fishing I work at it...when we are fishing tournaments we will start as the sun comes and grind right till it's time to run to the weigh-in...plus if you are chest deep in water and have to hold the rod in your teeth while you handle a big fish it's nice if it's as light as possible...

I have made a decision finally. Going to get the Stradic 2500FI. Seems perfect for bass, I just have to figure out what rod to put it on lol.

Spurminator
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Anyone else hear fish?

Fixed your spelling.

And yes, all the time.

Sportcamper
02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
SHIMANO STRADIC …$160.00
Matching Rod…$150.00
Nice…:tu
Better tell the boss lady that you are exceeding the 100- 200 budget…:lol

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I have made a decision finally. Going to get the Stradic 2500FI. Seems perfect for bass, I just have to figure out what rod to put it on lol.

Good reel. It should last forever if you take care of it...

rascal
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
SHIMANO STRADIC …$160.00
Matching Rod…$150.00
Nice…:tu
Better tell the boss lady that you are exceeding the 100- 200 budget…:lol

You don't need to spend so much on a rod. You can get a good rod for under $50 and get a spinning outfit along with a baitcaster. Have two rods and reels so you don't have to tie new things on all the time you want to try another type of lure.

Brutalis
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Anyone wanna suggest any rods for the Stradic 2500?

CosmicCowboy
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM

For your upscale starter package I would go to Academy and check out their stock...In the $70-$80 price range I'd probably stay with a Falcon or All Star and for a "one rod to do everything" I'd go with a 7'0" Medium Fast action.

DMC
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
If you're going to spend more than 150.00 on a baitcasting reel, look at the Curado E7. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and matched it with a Falcon Cara rod. It's smooth, has a good drag and the retrieve ration is less than the previous model, but still good for fishing plastics and swimbaits. For crankbaits, you might look at 5.2:1 or something like that.

Don't overlook at good spinning reel (forget spincast like Zebco and that trash) though, Shimano makes the Stradic and it's a hoss if you get the 4000 model, should handle anything in the lake at it's relatively small size.

DMC
02-21-2011, 01:26 AM

I guess I missed this one.

Falcon or All Star is a good starter. Not expensive (Falcon can get expensive). Make a trip to BPS or Cabelas, they have a great selection. You might buy elsewhere, but you can get the feel of the rod. Also, put the reel on the rod you want to buy to see how it balances.

DMC
02-21-2011, 01:30 AM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l482/DMCSPURS/Fishing125.jpg

This is even an old picture, acquired several since this one.

You cannot have too much tackle... :D

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 02:53 AM
I used to go fishing when I was little.

But as an adult, my fishing claim to fame was that I caught (and released) a 5 1/2 foot, 90 pound sailfish in Costa Rica. It took like an 1 hour an a half to reel in.

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:00 AM
I used to go fishing when I was little.

But as an adult, my fishing claim to fame was that I caught (and released) a 5 1/2 foot, 90 pound sailfish in Costa Rica. It took like an 1 hour an a half to reel in.
That could be an old salt's claim to fame as well. I've fished my whole life, never even seen a 90lb sail.

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:03 AM
nope, and it helps to have about 6-7 poles in the boat all rigged differently so you can just pick up another one without wasting time retying shit

Yeah that works out well for most bass fishermen. I downsize a bit when fishing in another person's boat, especially a bass rig because there's limited storage space on the side for the back deck fisherman's rods.

Center consoles allow you to be a glutton though.

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 03:06 AM
That could be an old salt's claim to fame as well. I've fished my whole life, never even seen a 90lb sail.

It's pretty average in Costa Rica.

SAILFISH:

April to September, most fish from the 90 LBS. to 110 LBS range.

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/costarica/b3334/index.html?page_type=salt&state_page=costarica&company=Ocotal+Beach+Resort

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:14 AM
It's pretty average in Costa Rica.

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/costarica/b3334/index.html?page_type=salt&state_page=costarica&company=Ocotal+Beach+Resort

Never been to Costa Rica!

Did you catch any Roosterfish?

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 03:24 AM
No, I only caught the sailfish and tons of Dorado.

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Mahi Mahi dorado? There are like 5 different dorado fish.

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 03:28 AM
I honestly don't know. I just know the boat captain said they were dorado. :)

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Green and blue, fat at the head, narrow at the tail? Very pretty when they are first caught?

http://gofishcabo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mahi-mahi1.jpg

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 03:35 AM
No, ugly and grayish.

DMC
02-21-2011, 03:40 AM
I think we are talking about the same species. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :toast

4>0rings
02-21-2011, 03:41 AM
No, ugly and grayish.Were they using them for bait?

4>0rings
02-21-2011, 03:42 AM
Green and blue, fat at the head, narrow at the tail? Very pretty when they are first caught?

http://gofishcabo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mahi-mahi1.jpgBest tasting fish from the sea!

PM5K
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Sometime.....especially during that time of the month.

When you fish off the bank do you just stay for the day, or do you camp out in a tent or what?

Big Empty
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
I submitted some of our fishing picks to the Texas Saltwater magazine that are at Academy and four of my freinds are in the May issue! Im pissed they didnt put me though. You have to be holding the fish without a stringer on it or anything mine had stringer smh I cant wait to go to the coast for more fishing. Me and the same group of peeps are headed to Port A to camp on the beach but are gonna kayak the pac channels and the channels in aransas pass for some redfish! Im deteremined to catch a saltwater fish with a lure. I recently finaly learned to catch bass on the guadelupe with lures it was pretty cool.

The Reckoning
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
n00b