PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal?

Pedobear1
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Need to know for my philosophy class:

Say a guy steals, for example, a bag of dog food each day for 10 years from his work (dog food company, or smthing) and stores them in his basement...his wife knows about it...can she get in trouble too? She knows the shit is stolen and isn't reporting it...

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2011, 03:33 AM
wat his doing with all that dog food is the question? he eatin it?

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Say a guy steals, for example, a bag of dog food each day for 10 years from his work (dog food company, or smthing) and stores them in his basement...his wife knows about it...can she get in trouble too? She knows the shit is stolen and isn't reporting it...

Learn to constitution moron

CubanMustGo
02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
That must be one gotdamned big basement to hold 3000+ bags of dog food.

How does he keep the rats from chowing down on it?

2pac > Kobe
02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Learn to constitution moron
are you telling me eazy e and magic johnson are homos

man on wire
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
She can't be compelled to testify and in a dog eat dog world, she knows what is going on and if the dog is her's then she ain't sayin' nothin'.

RandomGuy
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Because, as we all know, basketball forums are the best places to get legal advice. :rolleyes

I doubt its a federal crime, so that would probably depends on the state laws. You will have to do some digging in the law books for that one, me boyo.

Most states have their current law books online.

Mr. Peabody
02-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Here in Texas, it would be a crime. Since the dog food is in her house with her knowledge, she would have exercised care, custody, or control over it, meaning she's appropriated the property. She knew it was stolen, so it's unlawful appropriation, making her guilty of theft.

§ 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he
unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner
of property.
(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:
(1) it is without the owner's effective consent;
(2) the property is stolen and the actor appropriates
the property knowing it was stolen by another;
. . . . .
(4) "Appropriate" means:
(A) to bring about a transfer or purported
transfer of title to or other nonpossessory interest in property,
whether to the actor or another; or
(B) to acquire or otherwise exercise control over
property other than real property.

Venti Quattro
02-06-2011, 11:00 AM
She's an accomplice to the crime

Blake
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Why is this an assignment for philosophy class

PM5K
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
It's probably illegal but it would be impossible to prove she even knew her husband was stealing dog food. I mean who the fuck steals dog food, and since it was in the basement, maybe she never goes down there.

Stringer_Bell
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Why is this an assignment for philosophy class

I think the philosophy topic would be Ethics, but if he's asking if she'd get in trouble it might be some sort of "Crime & Punishment" sidetrack.

Yea, the bitch is guilty of aiding in an act of theft. Next!

Dr. Gonzo
02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I think it depends on the breed of dog.

Pedobear1
02-07-2011, 03:14 AM
It is a philosophy: ethics class

I changed the question a bit. The real question was a guy stealing 2 bricks a day and in the end making a house out of it after he retired. Some chick argued that having the house repossessed and having the guy serve prison time was too much because his family would be adversely affected...well, if they knew about the stolen bricks in the basement, shouldn't they be held responsible?

Stringer_Bell
02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
The real question is a lot more thought provoking than the fake question, imo

resistanze
02-07-2011, 09:40 AM
This for some reason reminds me of a Colonel Russel Williams up here that turned out to be a cross-dressing serial killer rapist. He kept boxes upon boxes of stolen woman panties in plain sight in his basement and apparently his wife never bothered to ask.

Blake
02-07-2011, 10:02 AM
The real question is a lot more thought provoking than the fake question, imo

I agree as the first question is a no brainer.

Of course, if the wife knew about the bricks, then the answer is pretty much the same for the real as the fake question

RandomGuy
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
It is a philosophy: ethics class

I changed the question a bit. The real question was a guy stealing 2 bricks a day and in the end making a house out of it after he retired. Some chick argued that having the house repossessed and having the guy serve prison time was too much because his family would be adversely affected...well, if they knew about the stolen bricks in the basement, shouldn't they be held responsible?

There was a rumor that some of the mechanics in my old unit were stealing a humvee, one part at a time. People in the military have been doing this off and on, since there have been military vehicles, and I do seem to remember reading some news article about a mechanic being caught doing just that.

Not altogether as far fetched as it might seem.

They probably should be held responsible, if they actively knew about it.

In the real world, you can have some pretty good plausible denial, if the theft is that gradual. It would be hard to pin it on the wife, and spouses cannot be compelled to testify against each other, to my knowledge.

Bito Corleone
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Because, as we all know, basketball forums are the best places to get legal advice. :rolleyes

I doubt its a federal crime, so that would probably depends on the state laws. You will have to do some digging in the law books for that one, me boyo.

Most states have their current law books online.

Wouldn't the cumulative amount of all the dog food would make it grand larceny, which is a felony, and thus federal?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
There was a rumor that some of the mechanics in my old unit were stealing a humvee, one part at a time. People in the military have been doing this off and on, since there have been military vehicles, and I do seem to remember reading some news article about a mechanic being caught doing just that.

Ha, reading this thread made me think of the Johnny Cash song about doing something like that.
7qEG9EnHnw0

lazerelmo
02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
The only crime she committed was staying married to some dog-food stealing loser for 10 years. She should have kicked him and the dog to the curb...

(Then hooked up with the bank robber) :married:

mouse
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
a guy steals, for example, a bag of dog food each day for 10 years

The statute of limitations on a misdemeanor is a year. As a felony, three years.

Gutter92
02-09-2011, 01:09 AM
The statute of limitations on a misdemeanor is a year. As a felony, three years.

Where did you get that from? Is it state specific? Also, does that apply to all felonies or only theft?

mouse
02-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Good question each state varies. The average is 3-5 years for theft and 5-7 on larceny.

Here its 3 years.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-statute-of-limitations-for-theft-under-27780.html

Here its 5 years

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_statute_of_limitations_on_theft_in_New _Jersey