PDA

View Full Version : Europe expansion behind 18 game schedule?

Bukefal
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
http://img.fannation.com/upload/truth_rumor/photo_upload/265/331/full/Roger-Goodell.jpg

Based on conversations last week, it's not difficult to see what the NFL's long-term plan is: a conference in Europe and other places. That's why it is pushing so hard for more regular-season games overseas, especially once the CBA is done. It wants to establish a base for the game and then put teams over there, likely decades down the line. The idea is to make it a true world game.

Boston Globe

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/265331-europe-expansion-behind-18-game-schedule#ixzz1DD1D6DI1

Zelophehad
02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Hahaha what a failure that would be.

lefty
02-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Not gonna happen

I can see the Bills moving to Toronto, but that's it

bresilhac
02-08-2011, 02:37 AM
It's a terrible idea doomed to fail. American football has been tried in Europe on more than one occasion and has failed spectacularly each time. American football will never be more than a peculiar side diversion for the vast majority of European sports fans. Just as soccer is here in the US for most adult sports fans.

Bukefal
02-08-2011, 06:36 AM
It's a terrible idea doomed to fail. American football has been tried in Europe on more than one occasion and has failed spectacularly each time. American football will never be more than a peculiar side diversion for the vast majority of European sports fans. Just as soccer is here in the US for most adult sports fans.

Yeah. They have tried it with NFL Europe and failed. There is interest though, there are more american football fans in europe than people think, but it's still on a small scale. Not enough for something like this to succeed. It's a shame though.

NFL Europe was a whole league in europe on it's own, that was too much, but maybe if there will be only 1 or 2 franchises in europe, in germany and uk for example, maybe it has more chances to succeed.

Blake
02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I thought better leverage during TV contract negotiations was the reason behind the expansion.

Vici
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
There are absolutely a ton of football fans in Europe. In fact, my fantasy league is composed of 2 Americans and 19 Europeans. The NFL's mistake is that they expanded into completely random cities. Berlin, Barcelona, Glasgow? Who gives a shit. There are no rivalries there. What the NFL HAS to do is input teams into cities which already carry rivalries. It would be even better if they could stick to just one country. Britain would be the obvious choice since it would be easier for players to transition while including centuries old rivalries. If any of you have ever lived or spent time over in Europe you will know, as I do, that they are chomping at the bit for another excuse to hate their neighbors.

Vici
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Make that 10 Europeans.

manufan10
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Horrible idea to have teams in Europe. Bad enough having games played over there.

strosFan2
02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Horrible idea to have teams in Europe. Bad enough having games played over there.

agreed