PDA

View Full Version : The 20 best Super Bowl halftime shows

duncan228
02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Photo slide show of best 30 (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ocregister-286184-plarsen-best.html?pic=1), hit the link for 30-21.

The 30 best Super Bowl halftime shows ever (http://pedrowatcher.ocregister.com/2011/01/31/the-30-best-super-bowl-halftime-shows-ever/32464/)
by Peter Larsen
The Orange County Register

For years, Super Bowl halftime shows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows) weren’t much more than a marching band and an aging star or two. Oh, sure, you got your toothsome Up With People (http://www.upwithpeople.org/) troupe every few years, and your funky Grambling State Tigers marching band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYcsKm6h2I) almost as often, but there’s no nice way to put it: The shows were dreadful.

And then, lo and behold, they got better, with pop stars of the moment (though a lot of those were cheesy, too — New Kids On The Block (http://nkotb.com/), we’re looking at you! But since the early ’90s? Not bad. So we decided to rank 30 of the performers who headlined halftime over the years — no need to do all of them, for how many marching bands do you really want to see?

So take a spin through our slide show (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ocregister-286184-plarsen-best.html?pic=1) and see where U2 (http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2010/05/25/u2-postpones-north-american-tour-to-2011/27351/) and Springsteen (http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/brucespringsteenlosangelessportsarena-67291--.html) and Janet Jackson’s (http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2011/01/24/janet-jackson-makes-it-three-gigs-at-gibson/42880/) wardrobe malfunction and all the rest ended up. Then come back and tell us what you think of the list, and how you might have ranked things differently. And be sure to watch the game on Feb. 6 to see how the Black Eyed Peas (http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2010/03/30/black-eyed-peas-spread-positivity-at-staples-gig/22419/) do with their halftime performance.

Also: After you’ve checked out our slide show on the Super Bowl halftimes, take a peek at our companion slide show on the 20 Best Super Bowl Commercials Ever (http://pedrowatcher.ocregister.com/2011/01/25/the-20-best-super-bowl-commercials-ever/32200/).

No. 20: New Kids On The Block: OK, NKOTB had turned "Step By Step" into a No. 1 album and single by the time they played Super Bowl XXV in 1991, so at least they were current hot stuff. But they were also a boy band who sang wimpy songs about girls. Let's just say they weren't likely to steal any girls from the New York Giants or the Buffalo Bills that day.

No. 19: Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Martha Reeves and Boyz 2 Men: As a tribute to Motown, Smokey Robinson is a fine choice, and the Temps and Martha, too. Boyz 2 Men, pictured here, are mostly forgotten, we think, but Super Bowl XXXII in San Diego in 1998 wasn't bad as a (mostly) oldies show goes.

No. 18: Gloria Estefan: The Miami Sound machinist headlined Super Bowl XXVI in 1992 along with Olympic skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill, and a really big pair of eyes.

No. 17: Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Chaka Khan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: You can't not like Stevie Wonder, even when Gloria Estefan shows up at the Super Bowl again to horn in on his stage. So it was a solid all-star kind of show at Super Bowl XXXIII in Miami in 1999.

No. 16: Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, The Judds, Travis Tritt: We love Mama Judd, even if, or actually, because she's kinda crazy, and the rest of this lineup does country fans right. Bonus points if you can ID the dapper dude in the shades in the background behind Black and Lisa Hartman here.

No. 15: Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton: Phil Collins got all dressed up for Super Bowl XXXIV in Atlanta in 2000, as you can obviously see in the photo. Our problem with this lineup was that the Disney-fied show had all these singers performing Up-With-People-style feel-good numbers and not their own biggest hits.

No. 14: Diana Ross: Miss Ross used a helicopter to depart the halftime show of Super Bowl XXX in 1996 and it doesn't get much more diva than that, does it?

No. 13: Tony Bennett, Patti Labelle, Arturo Sandoval, Miami Sound Machine: The only reason Super Bowl XXIX's halftime show ranks this high is because Tony Bennett is a legend and his hometown San Francisco 49ers won the Super Bowl for him on this day. Otherwise we'd dump it much further down if only for the cheesy Indiana Jones skit (Indie rescues the Vince Lombardi Trophy) the Disney show producers cooked up to promote a ride over at you-know-where.

No. 12: Sting, No Doubt, Shania Twain: O.C.'s Gwen Stefani was just a girl at Super Bowl XXXVII, while Shania felt like a woman and Sting got busy sending out an SOS. Not a bad lineup as the '90s showed a better level of taste for Super Bowl halftimes.

No. 11: The Who: Well, they actually did not die before they got old, and good on 'em for that. Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend, the only two original Who-men left in the group, played Super Bowl XLIV in 2010 and turned in a solid set of hits.

No. 10: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Much as with the Who, Tom Petty and his band played a lot of the songs you'd want to hear when they performed at Super Bowl XLII in 2008. Solid, enjoyable, but nothing that changed your life.

No. 9: James Brown, ZZ Top, Blues Brother Dan Ackroyd and What About Jim Belushi: James Brown felt good, the Blues Brothers dusted off their soul men, and ZZ Top did their bearded best. Fun if only to witness the glory that is James Brown in a three-piece red suit.

No. 8: Paul McCartney: Paul helped restore the dignity of the halftime show with his performance at Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005, not so much because he's a Beatle and a polished showman -- which he is -- but because he was a big, big name who could be counted on not to have a wardrobe malfunction like that of the controversial halftime headliner one year earlier.

No. 7: Aerosmith, Britney Spears, Nelly, 'N Sync, Mary J. Blige: Long before he finally found success as an "American Idol" replacement judge, Steven Tyler, second from left, was the singer in a band called Aerosmith. Not so long before he committed wardrobe malfunction on Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, far left, was in a little boy band called 'N Sync. Medium length before she turned her long hair into a shaved head, Britney Spears was -- well, you get the picture. A lot of stars came together to sing during halftime of Super Bowl XXXV in 2001. You probably liked it at the time.

No. 6: The Rolling Stones: Mick and Keith and Charlie and Ron brought back the old-school swagger to the halftime show of Super Bowl XL in 2006, with Mick especially reminding everyone he's still got the hip-shimmy moves that made him a star.

No. 5: Michael Jackson: The King of Pop was the first iconic superstar to sign on for a Super Bowl halftime show, appearing in Pasadena in 1993. And say what you will about the late Jackson but he was made for the spectacle of the Super Bowl stage.

No. 4: U2: Who better to deliver some emotional catharsis to the first Super Bowl played after 9/11 than Bono and U2? As the band played, the names of the victims of that terrorist attack scrolled on a giant screen, honoring and remembering them in a heartfelt way.

No. 3: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: OK, so we were scared a little when the Boss slid crotch-first into the cameraman and thus into our big-screened homes. But for a solid celebration of American rock 'n' roll, you can't go wrong with Springsteen, who played Super Bowl XLIII in 2009.

No. 2: Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock: Was the music performed at Super Bowl XXXVIII any good? Who knows or cares? Because after the 2004 nobody, but nobody, was talking about anything but the so-called "wardrobe malfunction" in which Timberlake tore off part of Jackson's top, exposing her metallic nipple shield and thereby threatening to send the planet spinning off its axis. Maybe not the greatest show, but absolutely the most talked about halftime show in history.

No. 1: Prince: The pint-sized purple one's performance at Super Bowl XLI in 2007 would have been a classic if he'd limited himself to a sampling of his own hits ("Let's Go Crazy," "Baby I'm A Star") and the cover songs he played (Dylan's "All Along The Watch Tower," Foo Fighters' "Best Of You"). But the fact that he wrapped his set in a downpour of rain -- while playing "Purple Rain" -- is what made it No. 1 on our list. Music and the moment made magic.

http://pedrowatcher.ocregister.com/2011/01/31/the-30-best-super-bowl-halftime-shows-ever/32464/

ploto
02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
4QKajzKmyhw

lebomb
02-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Hip hop this year? FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK

Yep............and QF, this was in the top 5 for most entertaining and original halftime shows ever.

Blackeyed Peas :toast

Viva Las Espuelas
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah. Prince was the best from what I remember.

Blake
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Im not a bep fan but this one was decent. I'd say somewhere around #10 best all time.

SA210
02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Noone touches the King

ywRMES7oHnA&feature=player_embedded

Blake
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Noone touches the King

Except for those kids

The Reckoning
02-07-2011, 12:16 AM
the yahoo homepage is trashing everything about the super bowl.

SourCandy
02-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Except for those kids

:lol that's wrong

Sausage
02-07-2011, 01:00 AM
999. Black Eyed Peas

crc21209
02-07-2011, 01:22 AM
U2, The Who, Springsteen, The Stones, and Paul McCartney = :sleep. Maybe its because I'm young though...:lol

BRHornet45
02-07-2011, 02:07 AM
U2, The Who, Springsteen, The Stones, and Paul McCartney = :sleep. Maybe its because I'm young though...:lol

no son you're just racist ... why are all of them old white men?

Xylus
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
U2 was my favorite, but I can see why people think Prince had the best.

jaffies
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Im not a bep fan but this one was decent. I'd say somewhere around #10 best all time.

...this was in the top 5 for most entertaining and original halftime shows ever.
:toast

...the fuck??

999. Black Eyed Peas

that's more like it

CuckingFunt
02-07-2011, 02:28 AM
This year's halftime show was hoooooooorrible.

lebomb
02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

X2...........at least the BEP's (who Im really not a fan of either).........had some damn movement in their show. Those above were like ... :hang

hehateme
02-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Gotta go with M.J. being #1. Pretty sure people showed up at the game just to watch the halftime show since he was big during those years.

Blake
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
...the fuck??

considering there have only been about 30 something mediocre halftime shows, this one being #10 is really not that far fetched imo

Phillip
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
i loved the prince halftime show

ohmwrecker
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
This year's halftime show was hoooooooorrible.

It was truly atrocious. Hair helmet. Tron dancers. Fergie can't sing for shit. Slash was working that wah pedal, boy.

Greg Oden
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
yeah songs that use wah during the solo tend to use wah live also.

lebomb
02-07-2011, 02:26 PM
It was truly atrocious. Hair helmet. Tron dancers. Fergie can't sing for shit. Slash was working that wah pedal, boy.

See, you are a rock fan..............you will never fuckin like anything but rock...... callin props to slash, who didnt do much of anything really, but doggin the rest of the show? You probably thought the WHO rocked it last year :lmao. Its all subjective anyhow, so it doesnt matter. But, to complain about the overall concept is ........... well, not very smart. Music has changed, hell.....I dont even like BEP, but at least their show isnt just some folks standing like statues on the stage........boooooooooring. :rolleyes

Greg Oden
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
lebomb no one wants to read your posts about defending the pop status quo. Joe Chalupa does just fine.

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Yep............and QF, this was in the top 5 for most entertaining and original halftime shows ever.

Blackeyed Peas :toast

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

who didn't see this one coming? lebomb liking that shit-tacular display? you don't say!

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
at least the BEP's (who Im really not a fan of either).........had some damn movement in their show.

what the fuck are you talking about? the first thing everybody at my party noticed was the fact that all the BEPs did was stand there hardly moving at all, probably because their ridiculous costumes restricted any movement.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Pretty hard to have a good show when you can't sing for shit.

Her singing GnR was absolutely brutal.

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Pretty hard to have a good show when you can't sing for shit.

Her singing GnR was absolutely brutal.

It was the best part of the show for me, excellent unintentional comedy that she didn't actually try to sing it in her own voice, instead she tried to sing it like Axl. I was laughing my ass off.

Spurminator
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I hate to defend anything having to do with the Black Eyed Peas but the show worked much better in person than on TV. I didn't even think Fergie sounded that bad live... but she sounded terrible on the broadcast because she didn't have the benefit of the stadium's natural reverb. They should have done more on the broadcast to give it more of a live "being there" feel.

It was a big stupid spectacle but it was better than I expected from a group I can't stand.

Phillip
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
i was completely indifferent to the show, and am indifferent toward BEP. however as spurminator said, I have also heard that there was a major difference in how the performance sounded on TV as opposed to in person. a lot of people who actually were at the game said it was much better than it ended up sounding on the TV.

then again, this probably applies to most any live show by a band/artist...

ohmwrecker
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
yeah songs that use wah during the solo tend to use wah live also.

Really?!

See, you are a rock fan..............you will never fuckin like anything but rock...... callin props to slash, who didnt do much of anything really, but doggin the rest of the show? You probably thought the WHO rocked it last year :lmao. Its all subjective anyhow, so it doesnt matter. But, to complain about the overall concept is ........... well, not very smart. Music has changed, hell.....I dont even like BEP, but at least their show isnt just some folks standing like statues on the stage........boooooooooring. :rolleyes

You are making a lot of assumptions. I like all kinds of music fwiw, but the Black Eyed Peas are shit. I wasn't giving Slash props (I love Slash and that song btw), I was giving him shit for phoning it in. I didn't think the Who was great last year but for a bunch of old fuckers, they displayed fucktons more energy than the Peas.

lol concept

The "concept" was trite and played out . . . because the whole "queer space pirate" thing is so fresh. Music hasn't changed much tbh, and even if it has, your Black Eyed Peas are certainly not the vanguard of some music revolution. Stop taking my opinion so personally, you dope.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
It was the best part of the show for me, excellent unintentional comedy that she didn't actually try to sing it in her own voice, instead she tried to sing it like Axl. I was laughing my ass off.

She made the Sheryl Crow version seem awesome by comparison.

jaffies
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
but at least their show isnt just some folks standing like statues on the stage........boooooooooring. :rolleyes

I don't know how many Superbowl Halftime shows were broadcasting at the time, but we musta been watching two different channels. Because the show I watched had the black eyed peas do one stunt/move: they walked up 3 stairs. Exhilarating.

crc21209
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
no son you're just racist ... why are all of them old white men?

Racist huh? Riiiiggghhhtt. I'm half-white you fucking idiot...:lol

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't know how many Superbowl Halftime shows were broadcasting at the time, but we musta been watching two different channels. Because the show I watched had the black eyed peas do one stunt/move: they walked up 3 stairs. Exhilarating.

:lol exactly

Blake
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I saw Fergie doing the robot, tbh.

LnGrrrR
02-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Did you see the U2 halftime show? It was pretty damned good.

Greg Oden
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Really?!

yeah it's a concept you don't seem to grasp.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
yeah it's a concept you don't seem to grasp.

How so?

jacobdrj
02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I didn't really know who The Who were until I saw that half time show. I am under 30 years old, and quite frankly, I was blown away.

U2 sucks. Doesn't matter that they were trying to honor the victims, their show sucked.

Paul McCartney was surprisingly good considering his age, but it was hardly a great show.

Prince was ok. I don't really know his music beyond Purple Rain and his work on the Batman soundtrack. The show didn't impress me, at least not on TV.

Springsteen was a disaster. He sounded old and/or drunk... His vocals were just awful. He forgot a lot of his own lyrics.

LnGrrrR
02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I didn't really know who The Who were until I saw that half time show. I am under 30 years old, and quite frankly, I was blown away.

Really? How have you not heard of The Who? Or at least some of their songs?

U2 sucks. Doesn't matter that they were trying to honor the victims, their show sucked.

Agree to disagree.

Prince was ok. I don't really know his music beyond Purple Rain and his work on the Batman soundtrack. The show didn't impress me, at least not on TV.

Interesting.

jacobdrj
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Really? How have you not heard of The Who? Or at least some of their songs?

Agree to disagree.

Interesting.

I had heard of The Who. I just didn't know any of their work. I had heard their music occasionally, usually as TV background music, but I didn't know who they were. (I know, odd considering that I almost exclusively listened to Oldies stations). Like I said, their stuff and their show was phenomenal.

Yeah, agree to disagree on U2. Their songs just sound like moaning to me.

Yeah, I always wondered about who did the soundtrack for the original Batman movie. I only recently found out it was Prince. I bought the CD, and enjoyed it throughly.

crc21209
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Did you see the U2 halftime show? It was pretty damned good.

I just never have cared for them....:lol

lebomb
02-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Really?!

You are making a lot of assumptions. I like all kinds of music fwiw, but the Black Eyed Peas are shit. I wasn't giving Slash props (I love Slash and that song btw), I was giving him shit for phoning it in. I didn't think the Who was great last year but for a bunch of old fuckers, they displayed fucktons more energy than the Peas.

lol concept

The "concept" was trite and played out . . . because the whole "queer space pirate" thing is so fresh. Music hasn't changed much tbh, and even if it has, your Black Eyed Peas are certainly not the vanguard of some music revolution. Stop taking my opinion so personally, you dope.

Im not making assumptions.........but you just named damn near every rock band that has performed at the superbowl ........... :rollin

.................standing in one spot for a performance isnt very entertaining anymore. Fastforward to 2011 please.

I'm guessing you didnt see Usher and the 100's of extras dance their asses off during the show? :rolleyes

Like I said, personally It doesnt matter anyhow............... I dont care for the BEP, but they were sure a HELL of alot better than the WHO from last year. Its not even close.

Cane
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
The best thing about the show was that they didn't play "My Humps".

Xylus
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah, agree to disagree on U2. Their songs just sound like moaning to me.

...What the hell? Moaning?

ohmwrecker
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Im not making assumptions.........but you just named damn near every rock band that has performed at the superbowl ........... :rollin

The only rock band I mentioned was The Who. Are you goofy?

.................standing in one spot for a performance isnt very entertaining anymore. Fastforward to 2011 please.
I'm guessing you didnt see Usher and the 100's of extras dance their asses off during the show? :rolleyes

I saw it, I just don't give a shit. I've never interacted with you before. Are you always this stupid?

lol "fast forward"

Like I said, personally It doesnt matter anyhow............... I dont care for the BEP, but they were sure a HELL of alot better than the WHO from last year. Its not even close.

It's a matter of personal preference tbh. I didn't say I liked The Who, but the "BEP" sucked balls. Do you even read the posts of the people you start arguments with?

monosylab1k
02-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Apparently the Black Eyed Peas didn't get your memo because all they did was FUCKING STAND IN ONE SPOT FOR THEIR PERFORMANCE.

That would be a great point if it was the Usher Halftime Show and he wasn't dancing for 20 seconds before exiting. As it was, it was the Black Eyed Peas Halftime Show and they put on a goddamn awful and boring performance.