PDA

View Full Version : As of right now

spursfan1000
02-06-2011, 04:19 PM
How far do you see Spurs getting in playoffs? I know some people don't think Spurs are contenders which is pure stupidity, and some people do. For me I could see Spurs making it to the finals but falling short against the Celtics/Heat...if we were to play Magic or any other team in East, i see us getting the :lobt2:

DMC
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
As of "right now" as opposed to what exactly?

spursfan1000
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Look at my first sentence...

InRareForm
02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Lose in the finals vs. Celtics 4-2.

ALVAREZ6
02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Depends on how they're playing, it's tough to say. The Celtics are extremely good as a team, and I'd favor the Celts in a series, but if the Spurs are playing to their potential, they can beat anybody. They'll have to be in top form, everybody playing really well, and that's the tough part.

concken
02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
^^^+1

I don't think the Heat could be us in the Finals.

G-Dawgg
02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
We have a much deeper team than Boston.....

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
lose in the finals imo

the celtics frontline is just too big imo

unless splitter turns into a beefcake down low to take on davis and perkins

02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
probably losing to the lakers in 6 or 7 games in the WCF.

Seventyniner
02-06-2011, 04:45 PM

My thought as well, after an epic 7-game WCF vs. the Lakers.

honestfool84
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
My thought as well, after an epic 7-game WCF vs. the Lakers.

whomever of the Celtics/Heat gets to the Finals will have an epic 7-game ECF series also, most likely...

admiralsnackbar
02-06-2011, 04:54 PM
We have a much deeper team than Boston.....
It's not the depth, it's the defense.

concken
02-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Well that's good because we have (and will continue to) been improving in that aspect.

admiralsnackbar
02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Well that's good because we have (and will continue to) been improving in that aspect.
Hope you're right :toast

rascal
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM

The spurs will never lose a championship series.

admiralsnackbar
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
The spurs will never lose a championship series.

rascal
02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
probably losing to the lakers in 6 or 7 games in the WCF.

Agree. Push the Lakers to 6 or 7 games. The lakers are good enough to beat the Spurs in a game 7 in San Antonio. The Lakers will be making a run and turning their season around soon. They will be playing in top form during the playoffs and just get past San Antonio. The spurs are one solid big short this year.

rascal
02-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Still hope I am right?

alchemist
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
:lol The Spurs match up so well with Boston it's funny people hate/fear this match up so much.

Give me Boston (as an opponent) over Orlando/Lakers/Dallas any day of the week in the playoffs.

admiralsnackbar
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Still hope I am right?

Shouldn't I be?:lol

Obstructed_View
02-06-2011, 05:14 PM
As of right now, the playoffs are months away. Same as any other year, they need to be healthy and playing good ball when the playoffs roll around. If they do that, their chances are at least as good as other years, and probably better since they've got a shot at home court for most or all of the playoffs.

SourCandy
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
spurs or lakers vs boston is the way i see it. Just depends how the teams play. every team is capable playing crappy. But sadly if playing full strength I see spurs passing the lakeshow and playing boston. However boston beating spurs in 7. But that's a tough call,it could go either way. I'd like to see the lakeshow or spurs take the ring. Fuck boston.

ducks
02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
right now it is spurs vs boston in the finals

things could change

I think lakers could turn it around
however I not see a trade for them

lakers are not a lock to turn it around either
THEY WANTEd BADLY TO BEAT BOSTON AND SPURS
THEY DID NOT

KenziE
02-06-2011, 07:24 PM
too early to talk about the playoffs more so the finals .... too early

rmt
02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
:lol The Spurs match up so well with Boston it's funny people hate/fear this match up so much.

Give me Boston (as an opponent) over Orlando/Lakers/Dallas any day of the week in the playoffs.

Care to share why you think SA matches up well with BOS seeing as they beat SA without KG and Perkins. I don't see 1 single match-up advantage (unlike against LA with TP). Ray Allen is going to torch SA and BOS defense reminds me of SA in the lockdown defense days.

G-Dawgg
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM

That is true. And defense does win championships....although I think we could make it really interesting, they do have a big frontline, but in this new era of guard oriented basketball and mobile bigs, I think we could run those old men into the ground...

I like our chances against Boston more than I do vs Miami...

G-Dawgg
02-06-2011, 07:51 PM

I absolutely agree

lrrr
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
For those who fear the Celtics so much consider that Boston is playing the regular season like the Pistons were in '06. They are angry at loosing game 7 and playing their starters heavy minutes. Rondo has had hamstring issues early in the season and yet he still plays big minutes. They are playing to their capacity IMO. Also, the east palyoffs will not be a cakewalk as it has been in the past. The east Semis will be epic and the way Chicago is playing, I wouldn't guarantee Miami or Boston will be the Easts best.

Also I think Blair won't have the problems playing Perkins and Shaq that he would against more mobile bigs.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Depends on how they're playing, it's tough to say. The Celtics are extremely good as a team, and I'd favor the Celts in a series, but if the Spurs are playing to their potential, they can beat anybody. They'll have to be in top form, everybody playing really well, and that's the tough part.

Ray Allen shot 85% on a BUNCH of FG attempts. Big Baby hit EVERY jumper. They beat us by 2 points in Boston. Anybody think they can pull that rabbit 4 times in a series, likely without HCA?

OrEmuN
02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I think we can beat Boston/Heats if the WCF is not too taxing. If we can take out the Lakers/Dallas/whoever in 5-6 games with not too many mileage on our big 3, we have a pretty good chance of getting the fifth championship

Health and fatigue is always the concern. Not too worried about capability since we can and are still improving but yet, we already have the best record.

Cessation
02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd say Boston would be the toughest matchup, but there is no guarantee they'll be there, its a long season still, and they've been injury prone. If anyone else shows up in the finals, spurs would be the clear favorites.

rmt
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
For those who fear the Celtics so much consider that Boston is playing the regular season like the Pistons were in '06. They are angry at loosing game 7 and playing their starters heavy minutes. Rondo has had hamstring issues early in the season and yet he still plays big minutes. They are playing to their capacity IMO. Also, the east palyoffs will not be a cakewalk as it has been in the past. The east Semis will be epic and the way Chicago is playing, I wouldn't guarantee Miami or Boston will be the Easts best.

Also I think Blair won't have the problems playing Perkins and Shaq that he would against more mobile bigs.

Perkins has been out all season and KG (only 31 mins) for a good number of games and yet they are only 3 losses behind SA (they own the tie-breaker). Imagine what Spurs record would be like if any 2 of the frontline was out for that amount of time.

Ray Allen shot 85% on a BUNCH of FG attempts. Big Baby hit EVERY jumper. They beat us by 2 points in Boston. Anybody think they can pull that rabbit 4 times in a series, likely without HCA?

Anyone who watched that game knows that the 2 points is deceiving. BOS won that game handily and got careless at the end.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't believe in the Spurs as elite contenders..my belief in their chances to win the title has increased, but I'm still skeptical..

The Spurs should win the West, obviously depending on health..I'm not going to count the Lakers out at all, but some people here are still overrating them..their advantage in the frontcourt is easily negated by the fact that they have no 3-point shooters, no athleticism, and no consistent entry passers to help exploit their interior advantage on the offensive end..

At this point, regardless of a potential Lakers turnaround, the Spurs losing to them in the WCF(or whenever) would be a disappointment, considering how the season has went so far..

As for after that, I'm skeptical of the chances vs. Boston and Miami, but this Spurs team has been surprising me all year, so we'll see..

Capt Bringdown
02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
If we keep on this pace, it would be a major disappointment if we don't make it to at least the WCF.

Losing to either the Lakers or Celtics is too painful to contemplate. IMO, playoffs often come down to a handful of plays, a few key offensive rebounds or defensive stops. This is where I feel the Lakers and especially the Celtics, due to their frontline advantage and more balanced game in general, might have an edge over us.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
How can people be skeptical about our chances against Miami? We haven't even fucking played them yet!!! WTF?!?!?

FTLSpur
02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I think they will lose the NBA Finals :depressed

spurs10
02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
If we keep improving defensivey, I see no good reason why we can't compete with the Celtics or anybody else in the NBA. You've got to feel good about our chances. We are #1 after all. 42-8!!

bobby4germany
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
As of right now I would pick the Spurs to win it all and I'm surprised at all of the so called fans in here having so little faith in this deep team.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
As of right now I would pick the Spurs to win it all and I'm surprised at all of the so called fans in here having so little faith in this deep team.

Manu-of-steel
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Spurs all the way to the fifth ring! Yeah!

Manu-of-steel
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't expect to see the spurs big three exhausted in the coming play offs. We've got too many weapons at our disposal. My bet is for the spurs winning a ring for McDyes.

DocDoc
02-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Care to share why you think SA matches up well with BOS seeing as they beat SA without KG and Perkins. I don't see 1 single match-up advantage (unlike against LA with TP). Ray Allen is going to torch SA and BOS defense reminds me of SA in the lockdown defense days.

Second game of back to back tells you nothing about what would happen in the playoffs....

silverblk mystix
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM
As of right now...

I see the spurs going to detroit and getting the win...but it may not be so easy...

I can't see past tuesday...

SouthTexasRancher
02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
It's going to be a Celtics vs Spurs Finals! The team that is healthiest will win it in 7 games. That sorry assed Gay LeBRA James will once again become the NBA's biggest asshole loser. The whole world will be laughing their ass off at the sight of girlieman LeBRA's tears streaming down his cheeks. :ihit

Vito Corleone
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
As of right now the Spurs could beat any team to win the NBA title, but there is a lot of time between now and the NBA finals. Lots can change.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I want the two best teams to play in the finals, and I hope the Spurs are one of them.

m33p0
02-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Spurs going all the way.

Old School 44
02-07-2011, 10:01 AM
They'll make it to the Finals. Hopefully, they play the Celtics or the Heat.
Not that these teams aren't good, but I think the Spurs play better against teams that are hyped more than others. I actually think their worst matchup (and the NBA's worst matchup for ratings) is versus Orlando.

Horse
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Second game of back to back tells you nothing about what would happen in the playoffs....
How bout Manu vs. gay allen that's a win for us. Tony will make rondo work on both sides of the floor and I believe we have a better bench. They had to shoot 60% in boston to beat us by one. And yes they got careless down the strech but they game is 48 minutes not 46!:ihit

awktalk
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
My prediction is that with all of the new opportunities to develop Splitter and get him consistent minutes, we will go undefeated in the playoffs with Splitter getting 40+ minutes and showing his true potential of being the next Dwight Howard.

DMC
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Look at my first sentence...
I did.

Any take on the Spurs is going to be "as of right now". We cannot give a take from a future stance.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
My prediction is that with all of the new opportunities to develop Splitter and get him consistent minutes, we will go undefeated in the playoffs with Splitter getting 40+ minutes and showing his true potential of being the next Dwight Howard.

Ah, the all-star strawman. Very imaginative.

Don't pay any attention to Splitter's production when he actually gets minutes, and let's hope that he doesn't get any chance to make the team better so you can stick to this fiction that he's a useless player on a team with defensive shortcomings and a need for interior size if they want to contend for a championship.

DMC
02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
It's also the faulty analogy of Dallas/GS, as if any team with a really good regular season record is doomed for defeat in the first round.

When did HCA become a bad thing?

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
It's also the faulty analogy of Dallas/GS, as if any team with a really good regular season record is doomed for defeat in the first round.

When did HCA become a bad thing?

The Spurs have never won a title without a top three seed.

Bito Corleone
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
How far do you see Spurs getting in playoffs? I know some people don't think Spurs are contenders which is pure stupidity, and some people do. For me I could see Spurs making it to the finals but falling short against the Celtics...if we were to play Magic/Heat or any other team in East, i see us getting the :lobt2:

fify

cheguevara
02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Not reaching WC Finals would be epic failure.

Losing in the WCF Finals would be major failure.

Losing in the Finals would be failure.

DMC
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Not reaching WC Finals would be epic failure.

Losing in the WCF Finals would be major failure.

Losing in the Finals would be failure.

Eh, it's all failure.

I thought last year that getting past Dallas was pretty damn cool. If we get to the WCFs, I will think that's even cooler. We didn't make any blockbuster trades. We are playing completely out of our minds and almost ANY other team that tried to switch gears like that after such a long run of the mode the Spurs have played since forever has fallen flat on their faces (see Phoenix trying to slow it down a few years back). To institute that offense and make it work right away says a shit load about the organization, and a ton about the core of the team. Many stars will not be coached into playing differently. They think they know the game well enough to not be told what to do. Just get them the damn ball.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
If we're not derailed by injuries, I see this team going to the Finals - this year we have the chemistry, poise and roster balance to get there. What happens in the Finals is anyone's guess - if it's against the Celtics, I think it'll be a 7-game thriller which either team can win, against the Heat I think we'd win in 6.

barbacoataco
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I see the Spurs as one of 3 teams that can win the west along with L.A. and Dallas. I would also say that Boston and Miami have about the same chance of winning it all. IMO those 5 teams are all in position to win and it will come down to matchups and who makes shots.

Crookshanks
02-07-2011, 08:42 PM
People keep saying the Lakers are going to turn it around - well, we're more than halfway through the season and they haven't "turned it around" yet. In fact, there's talk of shaking up the team because they're underperforming. I really don't fear the Lakers in a 7-game series.

awktalk
02-08-2011, 03:05 AM
For all of you who fear the Celtics, consider their 5-4 record the past 3 weeks with losses

@WAS
@PHO
DAL
@CHA

None of those teams are even competitive, unless you consider Dallas in the Garden. Please stop with some mystic-fog glamour bullshit that the Celts are unbeatable. They are healthy, and not that good. Spurs playing at this level would rip them in 5 games.

100%duncan
02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Perkins has been out all season and KG (only 31 mins) for a good number of games and yet they are only 3 losses behind SA (they own the tie-breaker). Imagine what Spurs record would be like if any 2 of the frontline was out for that amount of time.

Anyone who watched that game knows that the 2 points is deceiving. BOS won that game handily and got careless at the end.

This is the point. Spurs have this record because they are healthy. Every team sucks if they have 2 role players/ superstars out. FIFY

Spurs7794
02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
For all of you who fear the Celtics, consider their 5-4 record the past 3 weeks with losses

@WAS
@PHO
DAL
@CHA

None of those teams are even competitive, unless you consider Dallas in the Garden. Please stop with some mystic-fog glamour bullshit that the Celts are unbeatable. They are healthy, and not that good. Spurs playing at this level would rip them in 5 games.

Alright thats beautiful. Then look at their record against us, Miami, LAL, Orlando, and Dallas. They are 6-3 (6-1 against everyone except Dallas). That team is too tough to rip them in 5 games. Garnett's defense is great especailly against an aging Duncan, Rondo has long arms and can defend Parker and NONE of our players are good at getting through screens. That series would go minimum of 6 and probably 7.

cutewizard
02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Spurs win NBA title

td_tp_manu
02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Why no one mentioned Mavs? They are back to the dangerous team they were at the begining of the season.

roycrikside
02-09-2011, 12:32 AM

This is the only answer that makes any sense.

Seriously, you people crack me up. It's one thing for Pop to downplay the team's performance and for the players to be humble and giving cliche answers, but you people are too busy nitpicking tiny blemishes here and there or worrying about the possibilities and y'all aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

The Spurs are 43-8.

43-8.

That's one of the Top Ten Records in NBA HISTORY to this point.

The record is not a fluke and it's not an accident. They're a very good, very deep team that excels in shooting threes and boasts a ridiculously efficient, multi-pronged offense and an underrated defense, especially in the paint. They rebound very well at both ends and shoot free throws well and have a roster of unselfish players who look to pass the ball to the open man.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, they're an obscene 25-2 at home. If they're healthy and they have home court throughout the playoffs, I would absolutely expect them to win the title and it would be a disappointment every bit on par with the 1995 team if they don't win.

Good lord people, there's nothing wrong with admitting the Spurs are good. They're really, really good. Enjoy this season. Have fun with it. It's gonna end before you know it and likely never going to come around again. This may very well be the best Spurs team in any of our lifetimes. Smiling and cheering and being happy won't be bad karma and it won't insult the basketball gods. If anything, they'll be insulted if they think we're not appreciating this team enough, because it sure looks like we're not.

Y'all need to quit worrying about what ESPN is feeding you and open your eyes and realize you're watching a historic team. Quit waiting for that other shoe to drop and realize we're the best team.

KaiRMD1
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I actually see us playing the Mavs in the WCF and having an epic seven game series with them as opposed to the lakers.

Oh, and I see us taking home the hardware this year (staying healthy of course)

e20dylan
02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
now that i got the word out i fully expect to have sequ and ducks info by morning. redemption is coming

LakerHater
02-09-2011, 12:42 AM
now that i got the word out i fully expect to have sequ and ducks info by morning. redemption is coming

Are you jus trying to get banned!? http://board.freeones.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Forgot to mention that I had $100 on our team at 12-1 back in December. Very happy with that bet right now. :D