PDA

View Full Version : Parker struggles with range, ball

3rdCoast
05-31-2005, 02:32 AM
Parker struggles with range, ball

Web Posted: 05/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

The looks — all of them — were good. He said as much afterward.

But it's not the looks that count. It's what a shooter does with them, and Spurs guard Tony Parker just couldn't take advantage Monday night.

"I just missed," Parker said after connecting on only 5 of 17 shots from the field in the Suns' 111-106 victory over the Spurs in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

"It happens sometimes," said Parker, who finished with 13 points after averaging 23.7 through the first three games of the series. "I'm just going to come back strong. I'm not going to worry about that."

All but one of Parker's field goals came on drives and only one came after halftime. He missed 11 of 12 jumpers, including five in the third quarter when the Suns outscored the Spurs 35-21 to take an 87-80 lead into the fourth period.

Parker's only field goal from outside came on a 20-footer in the second period. He missed his final eight jumpers as the Suns double-teamed Tim Duncan and challenged the Spurs' perimeter players to hit from outside.

"(The Suns) were going under on the pick-and-roll and I had wide-open shots," Parker said. "I just didn't make them. It was just a tough night for my outside shot."

Duncan scored 15 points after tallying 33 in Game 3.

"They were more maybe aggressive and they came at Timmy real quick," Parker said. "They doubled him every time he touched the ball and on the pick-and-rolls they were going way under. We just have to make shots."

Parker's struggles weren't limited to his shooting. He also committed a game-high six turnovers and dished out only five assists in 35 minutes.

His counterpart on the Suns, Steve Nash, handed out 12 assists and had only two turnovers in 42 minutes. Nash finished with 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field.

Parker and the Spurs struggled to stop the league's most valuable player in transition, a big reason why the Suns hit 9 of 18 3-point attempts.

"It hurt us," Parker said. "We weren't focused enough on transitions and they hit a lot of threes. Usually, we are pretty good at not letting them do that.

"They are always pushing hard. Maybe our focus wasn't there and wasn't good enough tonight."

Even with all of their defensive problems, the Spurs were in position to win at the end after Bruce Bowen sank his third and final 3-point shot of the night to cut the Suns' lead to 107-106 with 63 seconds left.

But Suns center Amare Stoudemire followed Bowen's shot with a layin after banging into Parker in the lane.

"I thought he put his forearm on me," Parker said. "But that's basketball. It's tough. It's like that sometimes."

[email protected]
LINK (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053105.3S.BKNspurs.parker.2c84c6536.html)

Mr. Body
05-31-2005, 02:36 AM
Well, this is traditionally the point in every series where Parker's game starts going south, so we'll see if he can turn it around at all.

Gerryatrics
05-31-2005, 02:37 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17184