PDA

View Full Version : Destined to be a Knick

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Sometimes everyone knows the truth, even if nobody goes on the record.

Just ask Stan Van Gundy, the former Heat coach.

Everybody knew Heat president Pat Riley was looking for an excuse to take over as head coach from the day Shaq arrived. An 11-10 start in 2006 suddenly put family atop Van Gundy's priority list, causing him to conveniently "step down" as coach. Given that history, current Miami coach Erik Spoelstra was wise to look over his shoulder when the 2010 Heat stumbled to a 9-8 record to open the season.

Who coaches the Heat to the conference finals is not the worst kept secret in the NBA this season. When Amare Stoudemire told everyone that he, Tony Parker and Carmelo Anthony were going to form their own big three in New York, it sounded more like bluster than tampering. Yet Parker signed an extension with San Antonio and now confirms that the Knicks were on his radar. Carmelo wants to be a Knick, the Knicks want him, and Denver knows they can't keep him, though for a long time, nobody said these things on the record.

This reality means a Mark Cuban clone in New Jersey with money to burn was the only one even entertaining the idea of giving anything up for 'melo, but once it became apparent that Anthony would cross the East River to the Knicks as soon as possible, making him the most expensive rental property in the tri-state area, the Nets bailed on the idea.

The outcome is all but inevitable, and all the Knicks have to do is wait. If NBA management gets their way, under a new labor agreement the Knicks will get him for substantially less than current market value. Either way, Denver ends up with nothing but the potential to go back into the draft lottery as early as this summer, their ability to sign free agents and to keep their own is now in doubt.

This is one of those situations where a commissioner should earn his money. One team and one player are bound and determined to be together, and it's been made public. Isn't it in the league's best interest that the Knicks make a good-faith effort to acquire Anthony under the current rules? While one might argue that the precedent has already been set, the league should see Lebron, Bosh and Wade in Miami as a red flag. It's pretty likely that the three solidified their plans while playing for Team USA, and it's equally likely that Dwyane Wade informed the Heat of their plans. None of that is on the record; if nothing else, there's value in the ability to keep a secret.

Not only does Carmelo know his final destination, thanks to Amare's big mouth, everyone else does too. It's bad enough that an NBA team should pick well in the draft, develop a superstar, and then lose the player to free agency, but the potential for big market teams to use the rest of the league as their farm system is becoming clear. David Stern should not be excited about the idea of transforming into major league baseball.

Perhaps the cynics have been right all along, that the NBA cares less about the well-being of the teams in Flyover Country, so long as the Lakers and Knicks go deep into the playoffs every year. Perhaps there was some monkey-business with the ping pong ball that landed Patrick Ewing in The Big Apple as well. Perhaps David Stern will make sure that those beliefs aren't reinforced, and inform the Knicks that the only way they end up with Carmelo is if they make a trade with Denver now.

Perhaps the NBA will follow Spoelstra and learn from history.

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
brool cory, sto.

Darthkiller
02-07-2011, 01:05 AM
small market team success = bad for nba. just look at the mid 2000, all time low in rating. also in the 70s when there was the most parity, nba was at its shittiest.

big market teams = good for nba

jjktkk
02-07-2011, 01:12 AM
small market team success = bad for nba. just look at the mid 2000, all time low in rating. also in the 70s when there was the most parity, nba was at its shittiest.

Its all about the Benjamins, regardless of Stern preaching parity.

DJ Mbenga
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM
u arent even gonna cite the source?

awktalk
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Green Bay and Pittsburgh just played for the Super Bowl. There's no reason small market teams have to be a drag on a professional league. It all depends on the incentives, salary cap, and media structures. Thank god the NBA is not MLB. Like the Pirates could ever reach a World Series.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Wait..small market is bad for NBA, and big market is good for NBA?!..what the fuck?!..that's genius..

jjktkk
02-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Green Bay and Pittsburgh just played for the Super Bowl. There's no reason small market teams have to be a drag on a professional league. It all depends on the incentives, salary cap, and media structures. Thank god the NBA is not MLB. Like the Pirates could ever reach a World Series.

In Green Bay and Pittsburgh, the difference is their championship tradition.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 02:36 AM
brool cory, sto.

Wow, the NBA forum will be so much poorer without you around.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 02:38 AM
u arent even gonna cite the source?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171911

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Screw the NBA screw those spoilt players.

I'd be all for the Nuggets letting Melo walk for nothing and watching his face when the new max contracts are much less than they are now. I hope he loses $20+ mil .......

I can't wait to see that moron and his stupid smile in NY. He thinks it will be all rosey, but i give it a few months before him and Amare start bitchin' over the ball

Amare and Melo will work out as good as Melo and AI did

Funny thing is that the Nuggets will be a better team without him. Maybe not straight away, but it wont be hard to get back to the playoffs, and even if they are first round fodder, what difference is that from when Melo was on the team

Get the hell out of Denver and go home you spoilt brat / my 2 cents

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Screw the NBA screw those spoilt players.

I'd be all for the Nuggets letting Melo walk for nothing and watching his face when the new max contracts are much less than they are now. I hope he loses $20+ mil .......

I can't wait to see that moron and his stupid smile in NY. He thinks it will be all rosey, but i give it a few months before him and Amare start bitchin' over the ball

Amare and Melo will work out as good as Melo and AI did

Funny thing is that the Nuggets will be a better team without him. Maybe not straight away, but it wont be hard to get back to the playoffs, and even if they are first round fodder, what difference is that from when Melo was on the team

Get the hell out of Denver and go home you spoilt brat / my 2 cents

Two months ago, the Nuggets should have said "If you won't sign an extension and you won't go anywhere else, then we're keeping you until July. We're also going to dismantle the team and unload all the expiring contracts and talented players before the deadline. You can spend a season of your prime trying to ruin our lottery position and you can sign with the Knicks next year for less money because of the new CBA."

monosylab1k
02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow, the NBA forum will be so much poorer without you around.

Yeah because your TLDR take has really incited a great discussion.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah because your TLDR take has really incited a great discussion.

Thought you were leaving.