PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Xoom

leemajors
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
wtf... Pay Verizon to use WiFi? $800?!?! Android could be such a great tablet OS, and they keep putting out overpriced crap like this. Drachen's hacked Nook color is the only decent iPad competitor, and that is just sad.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5753565/the-first-good-android-tablet-has-locked-down-wi+fi-and-costs-800-ughhhh

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
It's not Android, it's Verizon. Blame them.

leemajors
02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm sure Motorola was all too happy to comply.

leemajors
02-07-2011, 10:37 AM
It's not Android, it's Verizon. Blame them.

I just think it's a waste. competition is good.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I just think it's a waste. competition is good.

I don't think you have to worry about companies competing with Apple. Android phones are already blowing away the iPhone in capabilities. It's only a matter of time before the tablets follow.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm sure there will be a root in no time that unlocks the wifi.

ElNono
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
It's actually Motorola. I read a while back they're not happy with the whole rooting thing and people actually being able to change what they put on the devices at will. Thus, they're going forward with the secure bootloaders and fuse bytes. Obviously, control-freak carriers completely agree.

I'm sure hacks/jailbreaks will appear from time to time, but if you didn't like Apple's closed nature, then it looks like Android is veering the same way, at least for some vendors.

ElNono
02-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Related:

Motorola Tells Customer To “Buy Elsewhere” If They Want Custom ROMs (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/19/motorola-tells-customer-to-buy-elsewhere-if-they-want-custom-roms/)

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Thats such bullshit, IMO. I pay for the hardware and if I want to manipulate the software I should be well within my rights to do so.

That being said, I'm never going to buy a tab tied to a cell carrier. I just don't see the point unless you want 3/4g usage and thats what I already have a smartphone for.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Related:

Motorola Tells Customer To “Buy Elsewhere” If They Want Custom ROMs (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/19/motorola-tells-customer-to-buy-elsewhere-if-they-want-custom-roms/)

Wow - I'm never buying a fucking Motorola product.

BruceBowenFan
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
All the more reason to hate motorola, never gonna buy one of there products again.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow - I'm never buying a fucking Motorola product.

+1

I think I've owned exactly one Motorola product in my life... the V551, which was a great cell phone at the time. Not gonna happen again.

HTC continues to be a trailblazer, ahead of everyone else in the game. Awesome company to buy from. :tu

Drachen
02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I will absolutely admit that I am disappointed in Motorola. Between this and handling of the Atrix (which I thought would be an absolute game changer, but not at those prices), I won't be buying Moto anytime soon. Luckily HTC and Samsung are doing quite well.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Isn't the Atrix $249?

Drachen
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Isn't the Atrix $249?

The atrix is $200 but the "bundle" with the laptop dock is $500. Or if you purchase the phone by itself for 200 then later purchase the laptop dock, the dock alone costs $500.

If you buy the laptop dock, AT&T makes you purchase tethering.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
The atrix is $200 but the "bundle" with the laptop dock is $500. Or if you purchase the phone by itself for 200 then later purchase the laptop dock, the dock alone costs $500.

If you buy the laptop dock, AT&T makes you purchase tethering.

:lmao

AT&T is so horrible. I seriously wonder why you would want the dock, though, especially when a dedicated netbook is $200.

Drachen
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM

AT&T is so horrible. I seriously wonder why you would want the dock, though, especially when a dedicated netbook is $200.

If it was priced right, it would lighten the overall load of what I carry every day. Plus I can't type for an extended period of time on a netbook. I would want the full keyboard. Lastly, I would never have to worry about such and such file being on such and such device.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
What netbooks are you using without full keyboards? Jekka's 2 year old 10 in Asus netbook has a full keyboard on it.

ElNono
02-07-2011, 04:31 PM

tbh, Verizon is not far behind the nickel and diming game. See this thread for a good example.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 04:34 PM
They're all the same. Sprint is the same as those two as well. They're going to get what they can out of people because the vast majority of people out there have no idea that wifi on systems like this should not have to be unlocked. Tech savy people make up a small portion of the population and its easy to forget that when you spend a lot of time in places like this forum or you have smart friends.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
They're all the same. Sprint is the same as those two as well. They're going to get what they can out of people because the vast majority of people out there have no idea that wifi on systems like this should not have to be unlocked. Tech savy people make up a small portion of the population and its easy to forget that when you spend a lot of time in places like this forum or you have smart friends.

Sprint has been good to me so far. I forgot to pay a bill for 6 days and they didn't even charge me for it.

Drachen
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
What netbooks are you using without full keyboards? Jekka's 2 year old 10 in Asus netbook has a full keyboard on it.

I am talking about the width of the keyboard, not the various keys on there. Netbooks' keyboards are smaller and I have big hands making it difficult to type for extended periods of time.

Just setting up parental controls on my step-daughter's netbook was a pain in the ass.

PM5K
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Android phones are already blowing away the iPhone in capabilities.

Pfff. Blowing away? LOL. For a while I didn't really think you were an Android fanboy, just a guy that liked the EVO and bought it, but now it's pretty obvious you are, good job staying under the radar for a little while.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Pfff. Blowing away? LOL. For a while I didn't really think you were an Android fanboy, just a guy that liked the EVO and bought it, but now it's pretty obvious you are, good job staying under the radar for a little while.

What? It's not a knock on the iPhone. Tech jumps forward really quickly in this day and age. Dual core processors in phones are nearly released, and the memory capacity is jumping ahead. I don't see how observing the increase in tech is indicative of my fanboyism. In another month or two, my Evo will be pretty dated by newer cell phone features and specs, just like the iPhone.

PM5K
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Nearly released is enough to be blown away?

Specs ain't the end all anyway, Verizon is releasing half year old tech that outsold anything else they've ever sold.

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 08:07 AM

I guess it depends on your perspective. For me, it's a huge step up to go to 1 GB of Ram and dual core processors. Not all share that view.

Specs ain't the end all anyway, Verizon is releasing half year old tech that outsold anything else they've ever sold.

I never meant to imply they were, just that from a perspective of performance, the new Android phones are going to be much faster than anything we've seen before. The new Playstation phone is purported to be nearly as powerful as the Playstation 3.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2011, 08:50 AM

The EVO's CPU was about 2 years old when it was released. It's was all about marketing.

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
The EVO's CPU was about 2 years old when it was released. It's was all about marketing.

More factually inaccurate information.

Q4 2008
* The first chipsets in the Snapdragon family, the QSD8650 and the QSD8250, were made available.

Evo release date: Summer 2010.

First MOBILE device using the Snapdragon QSD8650: The LG Expo and Google's Nexus One, released in December 2009 and January 2010, approximately just 6 months prior to the release of the Evo.

The number of 1Ghz processors available in mobile devices in June of 2010 was pretty damn small, as well. It wasn't about the speed or the age, it was about the availability of a core that's pushing 1Ghz at the time.

But I guess it's a knock on the Snapdragon that it's fast enough that it was so fast that it was originally designed to run in a Netbook. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
About (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=about)

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
About (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=about)

Yeah, you were only 25% or 6 months off of your initial guess. I mean, that's completely accurate and acceptable when it serves the faulty point you're trying to make. :lol

Also, lol 18 months old but only first being used in a mobile device 6 months before the Evo. Tech mags were going nuts over the processor when it was getting ready to be released in the Evo... I guess they don't know anything either. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow. You really do need help, do you.

My point and only point, in commenting to PM5K, is that it was old tech. Old tech. He commented that a half year old phone outsold everything verizon had and specs mean nothing. I'm assuming he's saying specs don't matter, in respect to the "average" consumer, and that's another reason why I brought up this "about 2 years old" chip. Don't worry. I'm not shitting on your prized phone. I don't care if it was first second or third phone to come out with the damn chip. My point and only point I'm commenting on is the chip in the EVO was "about 2 years old". Thats also why I brought up the marketing of it.

Q4 2008=October thru December. It doesn't specify so I'm assuming it could be as early as October. October 2008 to October 2009 is one year. 12 months. October 2009 to June 2010 is 8 months. A grand total of 20 months<-----"about 2 years".

1000000 to 1, now, that urine only child.

koriwhat
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
CryBaby is a bitch, nothing new. come on now viva, you already knew that, right? it's common-knowledge.

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow. You really do need help, do you.

:lmao Ah, insults. The bastion of a strong argument. :lol

My point and only point, in commenting to PM5K, is that it was old tech. Old tech. He commented that a half year old phone outsold everything verizon had and specs mean nothing. I'm assuming he's saying specs don't matter, in respect to the "average" consumer, and that's another reason why I brought up this "about 2 years old" chip. Don't worry. I'm not shitting on your prized phone. I don't care if it was first second or third phone to come out with the damn chip. My point and only point I'm commenting on is the chip in the EVO was "about 2 years old". Thats also why I brought up the marketing of it.

You brought up the marketing of it because you were stating that specs didn't really mean anything, as the chip was "old", and therefore it was slow and the marketing job they did with the Evo was stellar, because they were advertising "old" tech in a new phone and getting it hyped.

My rebuttal was that the processor was not at all old tech in mobile devices, as it had been used in only one widely-distributed phone (the G1), and therefore had reason to be legitimately perceived as "fast" within the cell phone world. In reality, the Evo wasn't just a 1Ghz processor, it was that combined with a huge screen, an 8 megapixel camera, 4G, etc. Yet you seem to be so resolute in attempting to say that it was nothing but marketing hype which got the phone to be listed as such a "hot item". I'm simply calling you out and stating that your facts are 1) mostly inaccurate and/or 2) not relevant to the industry at the time the Evo was released.

1000000 to 1, now, that urine only child.

My my, you're so clever. How does anyone keep up with you?

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
CryBaby is a bitch, nothing new. come on now viva, you already knew that, right? it's common-knowledge.

Koriwhat, you're a joke. It's best you stop trying to appear like such a badass on the forum, because everyone knows what a facade that is. :lmao

koriwhat
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Koriwhat, you're a joke. It's best you stop trying to appear like such a badass on the forum, because everyone knows what a facade that is. :lmao

not trying to act like a badass... i call em as i see em and you're a bitch. plain and simple!

go run and get your "hot" fiance in here to back you up now son!

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
not trying to act like a badass... i call em as i see em and you're a bitch. plain and simple!

considering your punkass couldn't even last 1 minute in a ring with me let alone bootcamp at randolph afb.

go run and get your "hot" fiance in here to back you up now son!

You were destroyed long before she ever appeared in that thread, as anyone reading it will attest to (and did). :lol

Good effort though, man. SpursTalk is probably the only place in the world where you can pretend to be a badass and not physically have your ass handed to you. :tu

leemajors
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Could you get a room or just PM?

Cry Havoc
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Could you get a room or just PM?

He's actually just going on ignore. It's growing tiresome having him follow me into every, single, thread, I post in to inject his drivel and homosexual diatribes. You make a good point, I don't know why I even acknowledge him anymore, except it's pretty hilarious entertainment at times. :lol

koriwhat
02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
He's actually just going on ignore. It's growing tiresome having him follow me into every, single, thread, I post in to inject his drivel and homosexual diatribes. You make a good point, I don't know why I even acknowledge him anymore, except it's pretty hilarious entertainment at times. :lol

don't flatter yourself pinche puto!

dolacheck
02-09-2011, 09:45 AM
With a new iPhone and a new iPad just around the corner, whats not to say that those 2 devices blow everything out of the water? We just don't know yet. The difference is Android devices keep getting better and better because they are trying to compete with the iPhone, and other Android devices. There is a new one like every freakin day. At least with the iPhone, you are good for at least a year. Buy an android, there will be a new on tomorrow that is better.

And, even with all these "awesome" up coming Android devices, people still would rather have the iPhone overall. Most successful phone launch in Verizon history has to mean something I would think. Link (http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/04/verizon-iphone-4-successful-day-sales-company-history/)

I think in the end, quality will win out over quantity on phones and on tablets.

to21
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
For shits and giggles went on website and tried to "trade in" my droid x to purchase the new iphone and they wanted to give me 96 dollars from my near new device.

BTW, retail on the droid x is 580, 620 for 16gb iphone. I've heard of depreciation but damn.

Cry Havoc
02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
For shits and giggles went on website and tried to "trade in" my droid x to purchase the new iphone and they wanted to give me 96 dollars from my near new device.

BTW, retail on the droid x is 580, 620 for 16gb iphone. I've heard of depreciation but damn.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they would say the exact same thing to you if you wanted to trade from an iPhone to a Droid. It's called, "Making money on people who want new shit."

to21
02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Paying that much for tech that's been out for a while, is not paying for "new shit".

Drachen
02-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Paying that much for tech that's been out for a while, is not paying for "new shit".

He didn't say cutting edge tech, he said "new shit." If you went to a dealer you might be able to buy a new 2010 model honda accord. Even though the model came out a year ago, it may still be new. Therefore "paying for new shit"

Cry Havoc
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
He didn't say cutting edge tech, he said "new shit." If you went to a dealer you might be able to buy a new 2010 model honda accord. Even though the model came out a year ago, it may still be new. Therefore "paying for new shit"

This. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM

I'd never sell back anything to a big corporation. They'll just lowball you. Craigslist it. 3GS's are still going for $200 in Dallas. :tu

to21
02-10-2011, 11:20 PM
He didn't say cutting edge tech, he said "new shit." If you went to a dealer you might be able to buy a new 2010 model honda accord. Even though the model came out a year ago, it may still be new. Therefore "paying for new shit"lol...phone died in middle of reply.

nevermind.

Cry Havoc
02-10-2011, 11:22 PM

to21
02-10-2011, 11:32 PM
...exactly!

Drachen
02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
lol...phone died in middle of reply.

nevermind.

I am assuming that my lack of putting a period at the end of my sentence made you think I posted before being finished?? (I am just trying to figure out what you were referring to, but whatever it was it looks like you corrected yourself). LOL

Cry Havoc
02-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I am assuming that my lack of putting a period at the end of my sentence made you think I posted before being finished?? (I am just trying to figure out what you were referring to, but whatever it was it looks like you corrected yourself). LOL

He posted only "...", which is what I responded with. :P:

to21
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
^^nah...

My reply was gonna go like this:

Me: lol comparing buying a car to buying a phone.

Fanboys: it's still the same.

Me: my point was more towards VZW bending over their customers who want the latest craze.

Fanboys: well if you want to be sheep, it would be the same if iphone users ran to android phones.

Me: lol....like iphone users ARE running to android phones.

Fanboys: Read this: http://androidbutthurt.com/EvoVs.Iphone it CLREARY says my phone is better than the iphone.

Me: :tu

Cry Havoc
02-14-2011, 08:54 AM
^^nah...

My reply was gonna go like this:

Me: lol comparing buying a car to buying a phone.

Fanboys: it's still the same.

Me: my point was more towards VZW bending over their customers who want the latest craze.

Fanboys: well if you want to be sheep, it would be the same if iphone users ran to android phones.

Me: lol....like iphone users ARE running to android phones.

Fanboys: Read this: http://androidbutthurt.com/EvoVs.Iphone it CLREARY says my phone is better than the iphone.

Me: :tu

:rolleyes

Slydragon
02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
This board is full of some piss off geeks....damn reminds me of elementary when the back and fourth fighting was over super Nintendo or Sega genesis.

I have a Samsung epic and love it, I'm sure if the iPhone was on sprint when it first came out I would have gotten it and just like all my phones before I would have gotten board with it and when my 2 years were up I would have gotten a new non apple phone.

Cry Havoc
02-14-2011, 09:56 AM
This board is full of some piss off geeks....damn reminds me of elementary when the back and fourth fighting was over super Nintendo or Sega genesis.

It's pretty hilarious. Wayyyy too many people take things seriously around here. :lol

I have a Samsung epic and love it, I'm sure if the iPhone was on sprint when it first came out I would have gotten it and just like all my phones before I would have gotten board with it and when my 2 years were up I would have gotten a new non apple phone.

The best advice when buying/using a cell phone is that if you love it, it's a good phone for you. :tu

Slydragon
02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
The best advice when buying/using a cell phone is that if you love it, it's a good phone for you. :tu

Yup no phone is perfect...something will always be miss from old phones and something will always be desired from another smartphone.

If I could I would love for my Epic to have the email setup like my old blackberry and I would trade the android market for apples app market.

to21
02-14-2011, 10:21 AM
No animosity here...all in good fun.

If I could I would love for my Epic to have the email setup like my old blackberry and I would trade the android market for apples app market.It was sweet.

Cry Havoc
02-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Right now the biggest problem with the Android market is that they have no way to reliable sort through different apps. They desperately need a more advanced search function.

leemajors
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
that and each carrier has their own version of the Android market, and they try and restrict which apps you can install. Of course to rooters this is a non-issue, but for your average user who may not know better it sucks balls.

leemajors
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Right now the biggest problem with the Android market is that they have no way to reliable sort through different apps. They desperately need a more advanced search function.

Supposedly the web based market with honeycomb should help that.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
that and each carrier has their own version of the Android market, and they try and restrict which apps you can install.
couldn't that be achieved under one android market as well? I think different android markets would just piss off customers that want what all the android market has to offer. Isn't that what most people's beef towards the iPhone is? Not being able to use the iPhone, without any tweaking, to it's fullest potential. Now back to the android issue. Yes, I understand different phones have different capabilities but a simple requirement filter should handle that.

leemajors
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
couldn't that be achieved under one android market as well? I think different android markets would just piss off customers that want what all the android market has to offer. Isn't that what most people's beef towards the iPhone is? Not being able to use the iPhone, without any tweaking, to it's fullest potential. Now back to the android issue. Yes, I understand different phones have different capabilities but a simple requirement filter should handle that.

Google doesn't have much say as to what software/bloatware is put on the phones by carriers.